Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, SWG ends, CCP the new evil Empire, Xsyon's a bust... what's left for sandbox fans but a barren M

13»

Comments

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

after what ccp has done to us and decided to ignor ethe community. And something tells me sony has a part in this, but my sand is starting to vanish from my box. This is nothing else out their fun, wat xsyon..lets wait 5 months for a simple patch...u say DF lets mindlessly grind away skills with macros tehn watch the cartoon graphics n crappy gameplay (no ofense to those playing it but its jsut my opinion of the game) Arche looks fun but u can truely do in that game what you can in games like eve and xsyon, where its a 100% player driven and crafted world. So that being said and nothing new coming out if ccp doesnt change what their doing then i am finally done with all MMO's, because it seems no matter how good the company is greed always comes in the destroys everything. just my 2 cents.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

Originally posted by -Zeno-

Darkfall.  Its the red headed stepchild of the MMO world that won't go away.

My thoughts exactly. It's the only decent sandbox on the market but only if you can handle full loot pvp. 

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by Chewybunny

First off, kudos for trying to see things from a different perspective. Few ever do.

The issue is that a whole segment of the world's population (see: braindead console mongoloids /pcgamerelitism on) have been turned onto the genre by WoW, which is so easy and simplified as a game that a chimp with down syndrome could play it and win.

This aforementioned segment of the population just happens to have a metric shitton of money btw. And the massive investors backing game companies are salivating over the chance to get their grubby little corporate paws on as much of it as possible. "But how do they plan on doing this?" you may ask... The answer is, of course, by giving them exactly what they want as a demographic: mindlessly oversimplified easymode themeparks.

Wow man. :P

*bows*

I am an eloquent and convincing motherf#cker, am I not?

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

I too find myself in the same predicament waiting for  the shineing light  the path of illumination the holy grail a decent non F2P but a B2P/P2P with old school values,devs that care and interact a community that that does not want to zerg kill or chase ever increaseing phat lootz. or pretty up their toons with a parrot cause it's kinda cool looking with ever increaseing game currency which just pertains to been ripped off.

Like many on here i've been finding solace in single player stuff even went through torture to get Morrowind modded now Oblivion will keep my modded game lust sated,but hopefully that holy grail is around the atm far eastern corner even GW2 will in essence only be  different with the dynamic quests i'm pretty sure it's gonna be 90% themepark as per usual.

But as far as catching  that sight of that elusive sandbox well your more likely to find a doc pepper machine in the middle of the Kalahari,yep at this present moment it's a mirage it will be damn satisfying if u do find that  drink but atm the drink is an empty bottle and nothing is going to refresh the lads and  lasses of the same mind-set.

Here are my  if u like holy grails Archeage,TSW,WOD,Copernicus SWG-pre CU emu (circa 2020 for this one).image

Albeit not a lot had high hopes for Xsyon and Mortal Online seems to be in decline and going downhill faster than a Olympic skier.Longterm have tested Dawntide and After world  but these games have been in existance and development since Jurassic times  a bloody long time.!!

p>
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Things will turn around for sandbox fans when devs finally realize that sandbox does not have to mean full loot pvp.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

Originally posted by Alders

Things will turn around for sandbox fans when devs finally realize that sandbox does not have to mean full loot pvp.

Hear hear!  Yeah, still waiting on that hehe. It's been years. Hopefully some developer somewhere will get that through their head eventually.

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375

I just wanted to say that SWG hasnt been a sandbox for years. It shutting down medio december this year will have no impact whatsoever on the sandbox side of our genre.

• ChewybunnyChewybunny Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by Jonsus

Originally posted by Chewybunny

First off, kudos for trying to see things from a different perspective. Few ever do.

The issue is that a whole segment of the world's population (see: braindead console mongoloids /pcgamerelitism on) have been turned onto the genre by WoW, which is so easy and simplified as a game that a chimp with down syndrome could play it and win.

This aforementioned segment of the population just happens to have a metric shitton of money btw. And the massive investors backing game companies are salivating over the chance to get their grubby little corporate paws on as much of it as possible. "But how do they plan on doing this?" you may ask... The answer is, of course, by giving them exactly what they want as a demographic: mindlessly oversimplified easymode themeparks.

Wow man. :P

*bows*

I am an eloquent and convincing motherf#cker, am I not?

If not a hypocritical one, yes, absolutely.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Also, everyone who is even remotely interested in videogames should definitely read this article

-> http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games/ <-

In a nutshell a good synopsis of the basics of why (and to what) the MMO genre is changing. Most I already knew, the rest I feared. There is almost zero chance Developers/Publishers will ever again seriously consider creating Sandbox style MMOs (Independant Devs excluded). There is just too much pressure in the industry to follow the herd.

Thank you for the link Jonsus.

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

Archeage is where my current hopes lie. Although, I am secretly hoping that the MMORPG that Zeni Max Online are developing is going to be an Elder Scrolls MMORPG. (Finally!!!!)

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Alders

"The trouble with free speech is that people think it means they can say whatever they like".

Far too many people subscribe to the fallacy that 'Freedom' means that they should be allowed to do whatever they like AND that no one else should be allowed to do anything they dont like. Unfortunately, genuine freedom is actually much bigger and scarier than that nice comforting but ultimately childish view of the word.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Also, everyone who is even remotely interested in videogames should definitely read this article

-> http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games/ <-

In a nutshell a good synopsis of the basics of why (and to what) the MMO genre is changing. Most I already knew, the rest I feared. There is almost zero chance Developers/Publishers will ever again seriously consider creating Sandbox style MMOs (Independant Devs excluded). There is just too much pressure in the industry to follow the herd.

Thank you for the link Jonsus.

No worries brah.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Asgrim

So I hear all the hype about Archeage, which will be a sandbox/themepark hybrid...

...But why wait for that game to come out when Vanguard is already available? At least give the 14-day trial a shot... It's a great game that needs more players. Hell, it deserves more players. The sandbox elements are there. The crafting system is awesome and diplomacy is a nice break from adventuring and crafting when you want it. The graphics are great and the game runs really smooth even on my moderate laptop. Lots of classes and races, big seamless world.

Looking at the feature list, if VG was coming out this year, people would be going absolutely apeshit for it. But because of a bad launch and mismanagement by SOE, it's just chugging along and being neglected by players and developers alike.

I'd be willing to try Vanguard if it was being offered as one of the fan appreciation offer for the closure of SWG, but if I invest into another MMO especially Vanguard which gets no support anymore how do I know they just won't pull the plug once again reducing the number of sandbox/themepark hybrids..

• swg hasnt been a true sandbox since NGE.... they ruined the game anyway

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Sad to say but I'd much rather play a SP game that is as huge and expansive as an MMO and heavily populated by AI NPCs(like a super advanced radiant AI). But if I wanted I could also play this multiplayer with people I choose. I'm not convinced that you can have good communities in MMOs anymore so filling the game out with NPCs that operate in a controlled way sounds like a good substitute. It may not be the permanent game but for a long time I'd rather have this CIV8/Eldar Scrolls 9 hybrid +10 game compared to most current and future MMOs.

• GaurnGaurn Member Posts: 305

Black Prophecy is in Open Beta for US and I believe fully launched for EU, so there's another one to add to the sci fi list.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Fallen Earth is a good game with some sandbox elements.  

Perpetuum is basically EVE with mechs. 

Darkfall is there for the hardcore PvP psychos.  

but yeah, it's pretty thin to be honest.  EVE s not dead just because there are monocles (not) selling for ridiculous amounts of RL cash though, so it's still there as one of the landmarks of sandbox MMOs.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

The CSM is in their way to Iceland to talk with CCP so lets wait and see what happens.