Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: 4.2 is WoW D

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With today's deployment of the World of Warcraft v4.2 patch, "Rage in the Firelands", MMORPG.com Industry Relations Manager Garrett Fuller is feeling like he's 'been there, done that'. He remembers the heady days of raiding the Molten Core. Check out Garrett's thoughts about Rage in the Firelands and then let us know your thoughts.

Today we get Patch 4.2 from World of Warcraft. As a WoW player from day one it feels kind of like déjà vu all over again. I raided Molten Core, a lot, in the early years. I remember downing Ragnaros for the first time; it was amazing. Now here we are with another fire based zone and it is 2011. Seven boss fights in an epic raid and all of the trimmings. More daily quests which actualy look to be the gem of the Firelands patch. Loot, gear, flying mounts, but haven’t we seen all of this before?

Read more of Garrett Fuller's World of Warcraft: 4.2 is WoW Déjà vu.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• zarawerzarawer Member UncommonPosts: 31

Unfortunately it is more of the same.  Instead of purple fire there will be red fire.  I grow more and more dissapointed with wow.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

time for a new game already.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

Molten Chore 2.0 and dailies.

Pass.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

WotLK also drew me back in for a bit. When Cata hit, I also made it to 85, joined a big raiding guild and promptly got bored to tears. 4.1 hit and I knew I had had enough, so I quit again. 4.2 doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

I got an itch to come back last week so I made a trial account, ran around for 15ish levels and I was free again, the itch was gone.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I don't usually take guesses at whether games will rise or fall, but I really am thinking that with the release of SWToR and GW2, WoW will finally take a huge subscription hit.  I don't feel that way that because it is a bad game; it is a fantastic game.  I feel that way because it is getting very old and tired and many people are already sick of the endless gear grind treadmill.  A new patch, a new raid, and you get to start all over collecting gear just like you have done over and over in the past.  It is the same with PVP, except in that case you have a partially developed system without a lot of effort from the developers.  Add onto that the fact that the graphics are really seeming dated and you have potential for huge new MMOs like SWToR and GW2 to really steal people away.

For myself, the only reason I continue to go back to WoW is that there aren't any other exciting options out there.  Rift is great, but it really gives me that feeling like I have already done this, except with more content before.  The only truly different alternative is Eve and the steep learning curve and possibility of punishing losses makes that a game some of us are wary of getting into.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Cata was great until I hit 85 and started the gear grind. I just don't care about getting purple pants so I can get better purple pants in the next tier of content. Seeing an encounter once is enough for me. To farm it for four more months just isn't my cup of tea anymore. I need something with a bit more depth.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

a lot of player will come to kill ragnaros for the simple fact that most post vanilla wow player heard so much about him and couldnt figure out why player went in there again and again.will it be has hard harder?beats me but one thing is sure so much in the past didnt get to go in ragnaros hideout i bet this time around instead of the million we had back then it will prob 8 or 9 million going and try to get attuned you have to recall not many got to kill ragnaros AT lvl 60 in vanilla wow.most saw him in the bc era once he was watered down.check blackwing lair a lot have tried without success to solo this raid even tho it is a level 60 ,the mecanic is so ARRRG!that only the very limited few that are engineer and could clear the first room go to see blackwing lair in all its glory .just because say 20% of 1 million(im being generous here)saw the end content in vanilla wow,doesnt mean it is obsolete.i agree with this tho if it can be soloed without say proffession  at 85 then dont bring it back ,but when you see places like blackwing lair and see level 85 player being stone walled to the first room,i say it isnt improper  to bring those back.

4.2?i havent made my mind about it yet,but some stuff they bring to the table might make things interesting we ll see

• MellexxMellexx Member Posts: 27

It's a shame theres absolutely no focus on exploring and slowly leveling, experiencing the ambiance and zones and learning the lore. I hate how it was 5 levels from 80 just to smash your way up to 85 to grind your way to the uber top gear then prance around the city on your sparkly pony. What a damn shame this game has become, Here's to hoping blizz can revive themselves with a new game

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Ok while i know that it is not kutym to direct your words towards the pen-masters of the site... I can say that form my (as a person that is not of vanilla nor outland fame, having come in with the wrathbabies after a serious burnout on City of Heroes) point of view this is defacto all new and fresh.. and maybe these are the players that Blizzard want to show a good game... those who never did the original MC or had a chance to play in Quel'Danas when it was populated and full of life.

mmo burnout happens and i think that is what have struck Mr Fuller here. Ofc after 6 years things will be a bit stale... such is life.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by tawess

As someone who never did Molten core this will be new and exiting... I feel sorry for you old timers who are getting burnt out.

I never got to do it myself, but the current state isn't about having fun it just seems like it's your job and life to keep up with your gear score or out you go and get thrown behind like last weeks left overs

• msaurondonmsaurondon Member Posts: 18

I stopped playing shortly after expansion release.  

As a druid tank, looking at all the places and things I had to go through to get my gear to be beneficial in raiding I shook my head.

Now, I prescribe to the "don't give it to them easily" crowd however I also did feel that made it somewhere on the painful grind scale just to get decent gear.  I am not "whinning" about gear as I was never a top tier player, had no aspirations to be top tier and enjoyed raiding as a casual player.  I am just mentioning, that unless you were one of the more dedicated individuals who were more willing to spend hours upon hours upon hours to obtain the goal of the new item, Blizzard removed some of the challenging yet not over complicated method of optaining gear that was in BC and LK.

I stopped playing a druid and started to level my mage to 85.  All the phasing techniques that were in place and none of my guild mates could come out and assist in any manner turned leveling into a painful process and unsociable if you couldn't have a companion leveling with you.  Especially since you both had to be locked in step so you didn't phase out on one another.  So, now my mage is somewhere at level 83 and my account is six months on the closed side.

I read the patch notes as they are released and when I heard the ZA was back and the mount was back I mentioned to friends who also play that "the carrot on a stick" wasn't motivation enough for me.  Now reading the new notes and new content all I feel inside is "more grind, more grind, more grind and less play."

I wonder if Blizzard is locked in the insanity pattern.  Where they are continuing to do the same things expecting different results.

I loved the game.  However it became too repetitious and boring and I moved on.  This content isn't going to win me back.  However I hope that those still playing find it exciting and it keeps them occupied.

Originally posted by tawess

As someone who never did Molten core this will be new and exiting... I feel sorry for you old timers who are getting burnt out.

ya vanilla player often forget about all the oops and turn they had to do ,to get anywhere,want to go to mc? ok you got to go at it trough brd if your group didnt wipe (wich happened a lot back in vanilla days lol but that was what made it fun )hahaha

msa i agree with you i stopped trying to get end game gear a while ago ,check the latest idea for raiding ,lower cap to 980 per week and you need to have grinded for 11xxx some to be autorised to buy the gear you are eyeing!

so instead of 3 week it will be what 11 to 12 week before you can get what you want.lol

well said you guys, I used to love the game too. The release of cata was amazing, don't get me wrong but I'm extremely disappointed at how this game has become just an addiction and if you aren't addicted you can't have fun or do anything. I just wish It could be like the trailers seem to make it, about the story and lore and experiencing the world changing before your eyes. Until this game returns to such, good bye warcraft

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

It's a really crushing feeling when you discover that you're doing the same thing that you've done before because that trick will never work on you again.

It'd be great to recapture the naievty that I had with Everquest.

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

well i do feel wow is on the brink despite how many players it has.  wow has put out nothing new in years, just rehashed old content, or made the new content the same as the old content.  wow has one thing going for it right now, there is no other good game out right now that people can play except for rift, and if you are bored with wow then rift will get boring right quick because it is alot of the same stuff.  swtor looks to be the same thing again, more daily quests, more raids, more gear grind, just with a voiceover storyline to go with it.

secret world and archeage seem to be the only two games trying to break the mold and do something different and we just dont know enough about those games to say if those games are gonna break the mold and do something different though.  gw2 looks to be a great game, but i dont know if its gonna be different.

wow and eve both are seeming to suffer from the same thing, player burnout, they have been around so long and both have made some huge changes to their game in different ways this year and it doesnt seem to be well recieved from the playerbase in both cases.  maybe the games have just been going on too long with the same repetitive gameplay.

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

I grinded dailies up to exalted for my Shattered Sun title. Grinded dailies up to get my Argent Tournament mount.  

I'm "dailied" out.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Seems like without someone to mimic out there, Blizzard can't seem to come up with it's own "original" ideas.  I'm sure once SWTOR and GW2 and some others launch, Blizzard might start to add "new" things to WoW.  I'm not holding my breath though and frankly have been bored since halfway through Wrath of the Lich King.  The endgame in WoW seems to have the worst options available that I have ever seen in a game.  I literally hit 85 on my mage and unsubbed after my first 2 heroics.  Completed one, wiped on the other and at the time, the wait for heroics was an hour or more. 

Came back after a few months break for 4.1, took a warlock to 85, had a blast, hit 85 and just felt the boredom come slamming back into me, even after jumping into a raid.  I just wasn't having fun.  I don't find fighting through trash, tons of trash, to get to a boss, listen to the strat, wipe on the boss and then have to run all the way back and try try again, to be fun in any way shape or form.  I liked leveling because I felt like I was always improving, progressing.  The endgame completely changes that dynamic in WoW and I always feel like I'm playing a different game when I hit the level cap.  So, yeah, I'm bouncing around between FFXI, Rift and STO right now because at least in those games there is more to do than the old endgame dungeon grind(granted, Rift does end up there too, but hey, they have artifacts and invasions, so that's something different at least.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

It's misleading calling the raid portion of this patch "molten core 2.0", the only MC about it is Raggy, it's a new area and new bosses, my 10man only 2 weeks ago finanly got Nef down in BWD so the timing is bang on for us.  You also need to remember that the majority of players today have not fought Raggy or atleast not at the appropriate lvl so it's all new to them.  And for the vets like me I cannot wait to sqaure off against him again.

As to the questing section looks like it will be a nice time sink for a month or two and I'll wait and see how story lead it feels.

What I would have loved and it would have topped off the patch nicley was maybe a 5 man MC revamp. 

turd there is something new now it is called grinding raid!you grind close to 12 k raid poin then you can buy that shinny new weapon ,only 12 weeks (lol)

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Does anyone truly expect anything different? The formula has been working for Blizzard for almost 7 years now. They still have around 11 million subs, so why would they change. They risk more making drastic changes than they do keeping things mostly the same.

If they are going to make drastic changes, they'll be released sometime around SWTOR and/or GW2 release.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I think because the way WoW was designed it is hard to make drastic changes. It is what it is yanno ? Lets hope Blizzard's new mmo is better.

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

This is my personal opinion.  I do not speak for any current or former World of Warcraft player other than myself.

World of Warcraft has, in my opinion, fallen into the trap being only about end game.  Yes, Cataclysm redefined Azeroth.  But the end result was still the same.  And they are just adding raids, and more raids, and more raids, and more raids, and more raids.  That was/is their niche.  It's fallen into a dire conundrum.  And people are getting bored.   And very quickly.

The second half of 2011 is now upon us.  And Blizzard is getting nervous?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I'm not going to pretend to know what they are thinking.  But I can make a somewhat educated guess.  Bioware's new MMORPG is coming up hot and heavy.  And it's going to go a different path...sort of.  Story driven MMO.  Not entirely raid driven.  But it could be..could be...a new light for MMORPG's.  It's is (unfortunately) being hyped as a great game.  This may not be an immediate threat to World of Warcraft.  But it could be a good competitor.

I think what we may be seeing are the two top fighters getting ready to square off the the octagon.  Bioware and Blizzard Entertainment.  Two very well respected names in the gaming industry (as long as we ignore the Dragon Age 2 backlashes).  And this is why I think according to Mr. Fuller, Blizzard has started to put story into their game.  Or back into it.  The "King" of MMO's is now facing a possible ousting.

And no, I do not think TOR will be this fabled "WoW-Killer".  As stated by someone a very long time again, WoW will be its own killer.

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by SonofSeth

I got an itch to come back last week so I made a trial account, ran around for 15ish levels and I was free again, the itch was gone.

Having been away from the game for... over a year, I get this itch from time to time. I think I might be lucky in that I always managed to scratch it off and never really went for a trial acount or anything. I have fond memories of Vanilla and BC WoW, memories which I don't reeeeeally want to supplant with a romp through the re-worked leveling areas.