Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats VSoH fate because of SWG cancellation?

DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Will my favorite mmo be cancelled like SWG or will sony try to make some money off of it and sell it? Or will they continue to kill this game with a slow and painful death? I honestly cant understand how SoE is ruining one of there last remainign hidden gold mines. If fixed up right Vanguard can become the best mmo on the market. It just makes me sad to have been witness to this games demise.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

Comments

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

SOE do not have the staff or the money to invest in any of their games, they have fallen so far behind other MMO companies that it would not suprise me to see them stop making gmaes full stop. They have had the chance to make an inpact and have failed since they introduced cash shops people just don't play their games like they used too. I myself loved EQI and invested in EQII as well. I played VG and loved that more than any of the games SOE has ever made, but the lack of support for this games sadly means this will too died a death.

Asbo

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

It's gotta be grim.

The destroyer of worlds wouldn't have it any other way.

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

As mentioned HERE and discussed HERE (by me,) there's just been a whisper out of SOE that Vanguard may not be quite as dead as everyone - with good reason - assumed.  The same (SOE) source said a few days back that there is no plan to cancel Vanguard.  Even without that, though (and I wouldn't think SOE would tell us in advance, but I also don't think they'd flatly deny it if it were being discussed,) there are several reasons to think Vanguard is not in any special danger becuase of the SWG announcement.  The most obvious one is that there's no LucasArts to capriciously pull the plug at their whim.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Ardwulf

The most obvious one is that there's no LucasArts to capriciously pull the plug at their whim.

You really believe that a company like SoE would allow an other company to pull the plug on there games at a whim? I am pretty sure there where some good agreements regarding this with LucasArts, protecting SoE.

Anyhow some of the devs from SWG might be transfered to Vanguard.

Infact this statement from "SOE developer Naylie" might make it seems more then possible

"Vanguard has gotten a lot of attention internally this past week. I do believe that a road map for the game is being worked on. When that road map will be agreed upon and ready for posting, I do not know. When that information is ready to be shared it will be posted as soon as possible."

I hope so I do not play vangaurd because of the lack of community, but when I played it the community that was there was really great and helpfull. The game itself is not bad at all and I REALLY hope that SoE sees the potentiol in this game and gives it some well deserved love.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Coman

The most obvious one is that there's no LucasArts to capriciously pull the plug at their whim.

You really believe that a company like SoE would allow an other company to pull the plug on there games at a whim? I am pretty sure there where some good agreements regarding this with LucasArts, protecting SoE.

Yes, because that's how IP licensing works. SOE had a licence from Lucasarts which expires in 2012 and most likely there were options for renewal etc, but Lucasarts would always have had the right to decline to renew, in which case SOE could no longer have operated SWG. One can only imagine how this went down, but most likely Lucasarts said they did not intend to renew in 2012 because of SW:TOR and so they and SOE agreed to terminate SWG early (since SW:TOR might be released around the time of SWG's cancellation).

As far as VG is concerned, I hope this means something positive. SOE are struggling for sure and I doubt they will release something new for ages (if ever), so it makes sense they would try to optimise what they have - and to my mind this means VG and DCUO. If VG received something of a boost from the free 45 days and people rediscovering it out of boredom with current games or "lite" MMOs like Rift, then hopefully this will justify giving it some attention.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Infact this statement from "SOE developer Naylie" might make it seems more then possible

"Vanguard has gotten a lot of attention internally this past week. I do believe that a road map for the game is being worked on. When that road map will be agreed upon and ready for posting, I do not know. When that information is ready to be shared it will be posted as soon as possible."

I hope so I do not play vangaurd because of the lack of community, but when I played it the community that was there was really great and helpfull. The game itself is not bad at all and I REALLY hope that SoE sees the potentiol in this game and gives it some well deserved love.

Vanguard hasn't had dev support for over a year now. They have given up investing in it. When was the last real patch? Rest my case.

The devs coming from SWG will either be laid off or moved to EQ Next and Planetside Next. All depending on SOE's financial situation.

As there were still enough people playing SWG, covering the dev costs and servers. But not enough to pay the hefty amount of money SOE would have to put on the table to LucasArts for a renewal of the Star Wars IP contract.

So when the game shuts down end this year, they will have a large income gap nonetheless, with excess personel.

I would not want to be in the shoes of the SWG devs right now. They must go through uncertain times now. Not fun at all.

• gt4980bgt4980b Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by JeroKane

Vanguard hasn't had dev support for over a year now. They have given up investing in it. When was the last real patch? Rest my case.

The devs coming from SWG will either be laid off or moved to EQ Next and Planetside Next. All depending on SOE's financial situation.

As there were still enough people playing SWG, covering the dev costs and servers. But not enough to pay the hefty amount of money SOE would have to put on the table to LucasArts for a renewal of the Star Wars IP contract.

So when the game shuts down end this year, they will have a large income gap nonetheless, with excess personel.

I would not want to be in the shoes of the SWG devs right now. They must go through uncertain times now. Not fun at all.

SWG devs will be moved to an unannounced sandbox MMO.   SOE currently has 3 MMO's in development.  SOE has stated before that no game will be shut down as long as there are enough players to cover the cost of running the servers.  That number is between 1K and 1.5K.  This was said at one of their fanfairs.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Its likely just a matter of time before $OE slams the door on a few of the games they have under their wing, i was considering getting the access when it dropped to $19.95 specifically to revisit VG and SWG but now i am once again weary of $ony and their anti gamer ways and its crystal clear why they are dropping the price on the access..

I will avoid $oe products altogether at this point as they are so blinded by greed first that they cant even do a freemium model right..

Playing GW2..

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

not that i am ever happy that a game gets cancelled, but VG's fate is probably better now that SWG got officially cancelled (it unoficially cancelled... you know when).

A SOE employee has recently said that they are working on a plan for VG moving forward and the same person said no, they're not going to cancel it.

(edit) if they actually load more people onto the devv team there might actually be reason to get the Soe 19.99 plan for POTBS vip and VG. 

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375

It might mean a couple of things, which are:

1) SVG is going to die

2) SVG will receive a NGE and CU :)

1==2

Originally posted by gt4980b

SWG devs will be moved to an unannounced sandbox MMO.   SOE currently has 3 MMO's in development.  SOE has stated before that no game will be shut down as long as there are enough players to cover the cost of running the servers.  That number is between 1K and 1.5K.  This was said at one of their fanfairs.

And you belief that?  I mean come on. How long do you think they will be able to cope with three MMO's being in development?

They just recently laid off a third of their employees and closed several of their studios, canceled The Agency MMO, before it was released (wasted millions of dollars on that one on wasted development time).

After SWG closes down, EverQuest 2 is basically their only running MMO left bringing in any real income for them.

And EverQuest 2 doesn't have that high numbers of players anymore either. Not to mention that more and more EQ2 players are starting to burn out on the game.

AND..... then we are not even talking about both the financial as coorporate image hit they took with the whole security breach debacle back in April/May.

I seriously cannot see them continue having three MMO's in development, while they just had to lay off so many people, close down several studios and canceled one of their MMO's that was already very far into development.

How long do you think they will be able to fund three MMO's in development?

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

"Vanguard has gotten a lot of attention internally this past week. I do believe that a road map for the game is being worked on. When that road map will be agreed upon and ready for posting, I do not know. When that information is ready to be shared it will be posted as soon as possible.

Message edited by Naylie on 06/27/2011 11:46:04."

you can find the quote here: http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?start=15&topic_id=55686

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Originally posted by chelan

"Vanguard has gotten a lot of attention internally this past week. I do believe that a road map for the game is being worked on. When that road map will be agreed upon and ready for posting, I do not know. When that information is ready to be shared it will be posted as soon as possible.

you can find the quote here: http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?start=15&topic_id=55686

Perhaps they are jumping to a F2P model? Expansion?

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Vonatar

Yes, because that's how IP licensing works. SOE had a licence from Lucasarts which expires in 2012 and most likely there were options for renewal etc, but Lucasarts would always have had the right to decline to renew, in which case SOE could no longer have operated SWG. One can only imagine how this went down, but most likely Lucasarts said they did not intend to renew in 2012 because of SW:TOR and so they and SOE agreed to terminate SWG early (since SW:TOR might be released around the time of SWG's cancellation).

Most licences include a termination clause which can be riggered at will by the IP holder.  That would be an unpleasant way to do business, though, and I suspect that things actually went down just as you suggest.  The idea that SOE had any choice in the matter is not believable.

Originally posted by Vonatar

As far as VG is concerned, I hope this means something positive. SOE are struggling for sure and I doubt they will release something new for ages (if ever), so it makes sense they would try to optimise what they have - and to my mind this means VG and DCUO. If VG received something of a boost from the free 45 days and people rediscovering it out of boredom with current games or "lite" MMOs like Rift, then hopefully this will justify giving it some attention.

This has been a banner year of fail for SOE.  Any kind of good news, however small, would be good for them.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by chelan

That's the best news I've heard all week.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

And you belief that?  I mean come on. How long do you think they will be able to cope with three MMO's being in development?

They just recently laid off a third of their employees and closed several of their studios, canceled The Agency MMO, before it was released (wasted millions of dollars on that one on wasted development time).

After SWG closes down, EverQuest 2 is basically their only running MMO left bringing in any real income for them.

And EverQuest 2 doesn't have that high numbers of players anymore either. Not to mention that more and more EQ2 players are starting to burn out on the game.

AND..... then we are not even talking about both the financial as coorporate image hit they took with the whole security breach debacle back in April/May.

I seriously cannot see them continue having three MMO's in development, while they just had to lay off so many people, close down several studios and canceled one of their MMO's that was already very far into development.

EQ1 has more paying subs than EQ2

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

Henry Rollins

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

How do you use the 45 free days?  It says pending on my account but I can't get it approved.  Do I just try to log in?

Originally posted by itchmon

You got any proof for that?

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by DSWBeef

Will my favorite mmo be cancelled like SWG or will sony try to make some money off of it and sell it? Or will they continue to kill this game with a slow and painful death? I honestly cant understand how SoE is ruining one of there last remainign hidden gold mines. If fixed up right Vanguard can become the best mmo on the market. It just makes me sad to have been witness to this games demise.

Well VG is in a much different position than SWG. SOE had to purchase a license from Lucas Arts to be allowed to make SWG, which is why SWG is dying. LA seems to have decided SWG wasn't worth a renewal. A decision I'll bet they made a long time ago but had to wait out the contract  they and SWG made first time round. VG is very different, SOE owns the VG IP lock stock and barrel.

Sadly though it looks like SOE has no interest in actually doing anything with VG except to leave it on life support to milk back as much of their investment money as they can from the diehard VG fans. I'm sure SOE has no interest in selling the VG IP to another company as it would then become a direct competitor to their two main cash cows EQ and EQ2.

So while I think it is safe to say "don't worry, VG isn't going anywhere." At the same time, lament because VG isn't ever going anywhere.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by Binny45

How do you use the 45 free days?  It says pending on my account but I can't get it approved.  Do I just try to log in?

if you already have the full client or for that matter the trial client, just login. although each SoE launcher may require some kind of registering with the game, but i dont believe that to be the case as currently my SoE account login works for eq1, eq2, SWG, and VG.

coupla suggestions if your new to VG:

1. start on the Isle of Dawn and do all 3 spheres to their max, thats 10 adventuring levels, crafting levels, and diplo levels, and especially your harvesting. even if you dont think you will use them later the quest gear and more importantly the tutorials on the trial island are clearer and more succinct than anything in the starter zones on the mainland/main game. and once youre off IoD go to your racial starter area. you'll only be lvl 10, but the storyline/lore is worth going through a few grey quests before they slowly start to turn green. you'll also want to find the local racial town's faction representative to get a special necklace that gives you faction coins for certain kills.

2. always ask for help in regional chat. this game is not full of wow rejects, while an answer may take a while to receive, you may even have to wait a bit and ask again, someone will help you.

3. find a guild. in the social window there is a tab with a list of guilds recruiting. many of them are gone, i am currently recommending twilyghte song for new folks. even if a guild has mostly endgamers in it, if they accept you they know that you will need help with game questions and a few game quests, like the griffon mount quest at 40. in any case i find that with the low pop right now, that guild chatter makes you feel less lonely out there exploring this quite vast world.

4. don't rush. as almost every endgame vet has said, the best content is between lvls 1-50. and they are right. if you are a casual to regular gamer you have about 2-3 years worth of content ahead of you, if you take your time and take advantage of a few of the wikis and infosites that are still hanging on out there. (fyi i call myself a 'slowbie vet', i just love to wander and quest and explore too much to advance quickly.)

5. Veskal's Exchange is *the* center of activity ingame for quite some time now, its on the continent Thestra. so after your racial starting area you can head over there quite easily via 'rifting'. these rifts are tall crystal and stone pillars with a faceless guide standing in a robe next to it. travel is typically cheap via rifting and you can also rent griffon mounts for like 5 minutes at a time to get you somewhere quick near the rift.

hope this helps, and i hope you enjoy the game. with the station pass price falling to a reasonable level, i am thinking for the first time of getting one. for me that means eq2 for my gf and vanguard for me =)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190

As posted in the thread, I would be kinda iffy on VG all of a sudden getting attention the week SWG gets announced of its cancellation. As for SWG devs moving to VG, that wouldn't be the best move because the SWG devs probably don't know a thing about where VG is trying to go or even mess with the gobbled up code. I guess really we have to go off of action instead of words. If memory serves me correct, ALOT has been said about whats in the works for VG but never came to light. I'll believe it when I see it.

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318

The SWG devs can get this game an NGE "upgrade" and get some more players.

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I doubt vanguard gets canceled.  It costs SOE almost no money to operate, so there is little reason to close it.  Unless there really are so few players that it has reached negative cash flow, which is possible I suppose.

As the the sudden internal attention the game is receiving, maybe it is true.  Perhaps SOE has taken notice that most people think Vanguards core mechanics are superior to EQ2 and all of their best efforts to revive EQ2 have not worked. 

While it is unlikely that Vanguard will ever rise from the ashes, it could do considerably better if it had at least some support.  I just don't know if SOE would do something like that after ignoring the game for over a year.

Vanguard has far fewer players today than it did when they cut VG development and SOE has far less money and developers now than it did in that same time.  I just don't see how it would make any sense for SOE to reinvest in the game now.  The very future of SOE rests on getting a new success out the door asap.   Spending resources to work on a dead game doesn't make much sense. 

SOE seems to defy logic when it comes to creating and running games, so anything is possible I guess.  It would be nice to see a revival of the game, so here is to hoping.

Originally posted by itchmon

You got any proof for that?

well i know you cannot believe everything you read on the interbuttz but here's one.  http://www.brighthub.com/video-games/mmo/articles/35992.aspx

Dwight D Eisenhower

Henry Rollins

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

There is an article on yahoo! that said SWG was cancelled, because their contract was up in 2012. The decision was made to pull the plug in 2011, so not to prolong the heartache.

I don't think it had anything to do with losing money.