Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Five Best Cancelled MMOs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the news of Star Wars Galaxies cancellation later this year, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Bill Murphy takes a look at some the best that also have fallen over the years. Check out The List to see if you agree with Bill's choices. Be sure to add your thoughts in the comments.

In honor of our fallen (falling?) comrade, Star Wars Galaxies, this week’s List is going to be all about the dead and dying MMOs. It’s no secret that when an MMORPG launches and people begin to make it their home, they start to grow attached to the world, it’s characters, and the people they inhabit it with. Ergo it’s always painful when one of these games has to be shut down. Whether a game is a success or not, we’re talking about thousands of hours in development being switched off, never to be played again.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The List: The Five Best Cancelled MMOs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• sirsammy33sirsammy33 Member Posts: 64

i played all of those games :) auto assalt was a intersting game was shocked it didnt last longer then 1 yr :p        i know swg not on hrere but i say everyone quit sony games couse they dont know how to run none of them:(

• DuvarisDuvaris Member UncommonPosts: 127

IMO. Out of all of those. Earth and Beyond was the only one that shouldnt have been cancelled.

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

Oh how I miss you EnB. Your death has seeded a deep hatred of EA that lasts to this very day.

I was seriously gearing up to play EnB and even got friends and family into it going as far as buying them copies of the game. Where warp speed wasn't some lame 'warp interface' on a map. Where combat, exploration and crafting all could be used to pump up your preferred playstyle of the the three. Where I actually READ the friggin QUESTS because I liked the storyline and the random news updates from space ports made it one of the only MMO's where I cared about being immersed. Hard solo quests that required strategy on your approach!

All this only to witness a few months later a 'sunset' announcment. Damn you EA. My favorite MMO doesn't even exist because of you.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177

Wish with got canceled in beta. It had a lot of promise even in beta and a shame it got canceld.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Played Auto Assault and EnB and also tested TCoS.

TCoS - was to weird, much to weird, releasing against to much competition, experienced poeple called it a fail a year b4 release and the truth is it was.

Auto Assault - i would have loved if it had been more Interstate 76 instead of this weird setting with clunky avatar interaction. Think i played 2 months or so. Fundamentally a good automobile mmo must work but seems nobody has got it right yet.

EnB - the best of these 5, have still the 3 boxes of our family space fleet at home, EA did not give it a good chance and EvE milked it off. I even favor EnB over EvE bcs EnB had a soul!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Auto Assault would have made a good ftp.

• AsgrimAsgrim Member UncommonPosts: 92

Dungeon Runners is in my top 5. I still wish someone would pick up the rights and reopen the game.

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 225

I too miss Asheon's Call 2. It would be nice to see Turbine to a relaunch of it maybe 1 or 2 servers with a FTP model on it. However I heard most of the codes were lost in the developement of LoTRO (Unless Smeldey worked for Turbine for that PR release.)

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

There are a few games that I would add to the list even though some of them never launched...

Seed - Crazy concept that I would have liked to have seen. Sadly the beta was never playable for me.

Motor City Online - while not an MMORPG it was an MMO and died far to early

Imperator - great setting for an MMO really wish it had happened.

• Dru72Dru72 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 57

MXO

SEED

The Sims Online

Out of these 3, I wish someone somewhere would resurect MxO

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Originally posted by Dru72

MXO

SEED

The Sims Online

Forgot all about MXO..another SOE casuality. Im sure we will be talking about Vanguard in the same way very soon.

• Dru72Dru72 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 57

Originally posted by GreenHell

Forgot all about MXO..another SOE casuality. Im sure we will be talking about Vanguard in the same way very soon.

More than likely :(

I feel (probably amongst thousands of other gamers) that rather than a game totally biting the dust, companies should 'auction' off the rights of a dead game,giving other companies or people (i.e --a player run community that can fund the continuation).

I myself would gladly contribute towards the resurection of MxO.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Originally posted by GreenHell

Originally posted by Dru72

MXO

SEED

The Sims Online

To be fair, Sony bought the game and kept it running long after it should have died on it's own.

Sony didn't really put much love into it afterwards, though.. the Matrix craze died pretty quickly after the second and third movies.  I remember playing the original beta of MxO and thought.. no thanks.  Buggy, horrid mess with no clear game play or objectives.

I heard from many people it became better after release, and those working on it did so with great passion.  I would have rather seen MxO on this list rather than Auto Assault.

{mod edit}

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I miss Tabula Rasa.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by astoria

I miss Tabula Rasa.

+1

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

TCOS was too unique for the themepark TAB-target crowd at that time. The game would have a better chance today, now that many gamers are sick of the wow formula.

The amateurish studio behind TCOS was in no way able to push the game to it's real potential and the way it was handled by the publishers was another pure shame.

I'm shure in the hands of some capable devs and with the support of a proper publisher, TCOS would have been SO much more and flourishing today -perhaps with already a 2nd great addon upcoming. I guess that can be said about 95% of all games which tanked in the recent years, but then i think unlike the wow clones of studios who hopped on the bandwagon for a quick buck TCOS really deserved better.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Auto Assault. Such a shame because I saw the box in the stores and reallyyyy wanted to give it a try..

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

none of them are WoW-Clone.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I was pissed when Earth and Beyond got canned. I freakin loved that game!

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Hmmm...maybe some financially savvy company should go shopping and do some reboots, relaunches, revamps of these games that "could-have-been" great with the right dev team and support.

I for one, would love to see Auto Assault but with more dedication and passion thrown at it as well as Asheron's Call 2.

• IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146

Microsoft did not close AC2, that was Turbine.  Turbine had already bought back AC and AC2, released an exp pak for it and I think 3-5 months later shut it down.

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237

1. Earth and Beyond

2. Star Wars Galaxies *pending*

3. Eve*thrown out with the baby and bath water*

• SaarosenSaarosen Member Posts: 18

Well, the Betas for Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa were fun, but I quickly uninstalled both soon after I heard of their up-and-coming demise. I though TR could have been a great game, but AA still needed a lot of work.

{mod edit}

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

Asheron's Call was not that good of a game in comparison to the original. ALl it had was better graphics, the gameplay was a step down from Asheron's Call. If Turbine had kept the general gameplay and character system of Asheron's Call, AC2 might not have sucked so bad.

• bobbymobobbymo Member UncommonPosts: 48

I think Shadowbane deserves mention.