Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 Live and Cash Shop question

ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Hi guys

GW2 and Archeage are far down the line and I was looking for a game to entartain me until those 2 games are released.

Recently I downloaded EQ2 Extended and created a Templar starting in Neriak

I kinda liked the experience so since I have a 7 y/o account on the Live servers I was thinking of resubscribing (I don't like the Payment Method of the Extended version)

I left EQ2 few years ago after playing it for 4 years, the reason was the game becoming another WoW clone

But the last straw was the fact  the appereance of the character equipment (armor & weapon) was rather boring.

After almost five years, SoE was still using the same models they used at launch

They said that it was impossible to create different looking armor because of technical reasons.

But for what I've seen from the cash shop, most of the Appereance armor they sell are pretty amazing and different from the ones they recycled for all those years (contraddicting what they said few years ago)

I was thinking of resubscribing but only if I was able to get all the cash shop items by playing the game (not buying them), appereance armor sets included.

Basically my expectaion is to be able to obtain every Item created for the game without ever using a Cash Shop.

I won't resubscribe if that's not possible.

So, before I give SoE my money again, I have a couple of question about the EQ2 Live games though.

1) Is there any server where the Cash Shop is disabled?

2) If the answer to the previous question is negative, is it possible to obtain the Appereance Items in game without having to buy them from the shop?

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by ste2000

I was thinking of resubscribing but only if I was able to get all the cash shop items by playing the game (not buying them), appereance armor sets included.

Basically my expectaion is to be able to obtain every Item created for the game without ever using a Cash Shop.

many appearance armor / wpns are - only - available thru cash shop

flying horse mounts are - only - available thru cash shop   (but you can quest flying gryphons)

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

No all servers have the cash shop.  If your like me you ignore them.  However I got to say there are a few things I don't like in the shop.  Those are the AA boost pots you can buy.  they also have mounts,  we have several guild members who have them,  but hey if they want to spend their cash on that then whats it to me. The only thing I hated was with GU57 they changed the ui some and put the store button on the end of the xp bar,  some of the ui replacements mod it out. 

Personally I hate cash shops, but at least on live most everything is non game breaking other than the aa pots and xp pots.

Now eq2-extended  you can get everything weapons, armor,  totally game breaking.

Now I got to warn you if its been a few years your in for a shock.  You got several xpacs to get caught up on.  Itemization right now is a big fail, and they are in the process of redoing it trying to balance it back out.  If you got low level characters then don't bother about the xpacs yet.  Max level is 90, max aa is 300.   So if it were me I would just go pick up destiny of velious and of course you get all the prior content with it.

Oh and yes appearance items drop, and some quests give them out as well.

Originally posted by erictlewis

Now eq2-extended  you can get everything weapons, armor,  totally game breaking.

the Cash shop weapons armor on EQ2X are the same as Player made MasterCrafted

i dont call that game breaking

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

No all servers have the cash shop.  If your like me you ignore them.  However I got to say there are a few things I don't like in the shop.  Those are the AA boost pots you can buy.  they also have mounts,  we have several guild members who have them,  but hey if they want to spend their cash on that then whats it to me. The only thing I hated was with GU57 they changed the ui some and put the store button on the end of the xp bar,  some of the ui replacements mod it out. 

Personally I hate cash shops, but at least on live most everything is non game breaking other than the aa pots and xp pots.

Now I got to warn you if its been a few years your in for a shock.  You got several xpacs to get caught up on.  Itemization right now is a big fail, and they are in the process of redoing it trying to balance it back out.  If you got low level characters then don't bother about the xpacs yet.  Max level is 90, max aa is 300.   So if it were me I would just go pick up destiny of velious and of course you get all the prior content with it.

Oh and yes appearance items drop, and some quests give them out as well.

I may be mistaken, but with the last xpacs they made them so if you own the last on market you have everything, I guess that applies for the last one too, buying it, owning them all.

Originally posted by alakram

I may be mistaken, but with the last xpacs they made them so if you own the last on market you have everything, I guess that applies for the last one too, buying it, owning them all.

its been changed even further

both Live and EQ2X -- include all expansions EXCEPT the latest

you could buy a very cheap Rise of Kunark and you would have access to all content but DOV

(least thats ive read on the forums)

on EQ2X i know for a fact you have access to all content thru SF without buying anyhing

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Money is not a problem, I have a pretty big budget on gaming, so buying all the Xpacs is not a big deal.

I just don't like the Cash Shops in principle.

It just ruins the immersion for me, I would pay extra money monthly to play on a Server where Cash Shop is disabled and all items are obtainable in game.

I am disappointed SoE doesn't offer Servers with no Cash Shops, knowing that many RPGers hate that, and the main reason for not playing a game.

Since they have so many payiment methods, why not offering a Server with no Cash Shop with a premium subscription rate?

What's wrong in widening the potential customer base?

Very disappointing

I really hope "EQ Next" takes into consideration this issue, otherwise I will have to skip it, no matter how good the game is.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

tell us when soe make your dream become a reality!

Originally posted by ste2000

I am disappointed SoE doesn't offer Servers with no Cash Shops, knowing that many RPGers hate that, and the main reason for not playing a game.

I really hope "EQ Next" takes into consideration this issue, otherwise I will have to skip it, no matter how good the game is.

I agree with you that cash shops take away from immersion

you will probaby see a cash shop in GuildWars2 for appearance items you cannot get in game

if its anything like GW1 cash shop

http://www.guildwars.com/products/extras/costumes/

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

I hear you can change your pet appearance with the cash shop....specifically the Mystic's pet which looks like white plastic.  I just don't know what the cash shop offers to replace it but that is something I would do....not because I want to cheat but because the normal pet model is horrible.....

Originally posted by meleemadness

I hear you can change your pet appearance with the cash shop....specifically the Mystic's pet which looks like white plastic.  I just don't know what the cash shop offers to replace it but that is something I would do....not because I want to cheat but because the normal pet model is horrible.....

you heard correct -- pet illusions are 1.00  (w unlimited charges)

Shard of Love (level 50+ zone) also has pet illusion wands with limited charges

lol, so what can you pet turn into or look like?  Is it still a dog but has armor or the color changes?

most of the 1.00 illusions are

• baby Dragon : Black

• baby Dragon : Pink

• Sheep

• Cow

• Stitched Spider

• Harpy

• Icy Wurm

• Genie

• Nightblood (demon)

Thanks Nadia!! 

You listed two different dragons....I can't help but think of the little whelps in WOW....are they flying or on the ground, if you know?

the baby dragons dont fly and look something like this

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/A_baby_dragon

Thanks again Nadia!  I know my wife will love that as it is cute.