Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shutting down instead of F2P?

Comments

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

the new star wars is coming out soon who cares O_O

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Originally posted by Robokapp

meanwhile why is it that no game goes F2P - P2P ?

huh. That's what I base my oppinion on. if the two were different but equal, you'd see games transitioning both ways. since you dont, and since only games failing in P2P go F2P...and since games who fail at F2P die, i counclude that P2P > F2P > Death.

am i wrong?

P2P is an outdated concept that doesn't work for as many people anymore. And those games didn't go free to play, they went freemium which is worse than P2P in some ways and much worse the F2P. idk why publishers and devs can't look at guild wars1/2 andjust do what they're doing, which is: Attempt to actually make a decent game that people will enjoy and want to buy exspansions and extras for.

The P2P model is more like "well, I put this much time and money into it, I may as well keep going or its all for nothing"

F2P is like "I put this time into it, if I just spend a little, I'll progress faster and/or have better such and such"

Freemium is like "I may as well pay to get full stuff and then pay for extra stuff that used to come with the subscription when this was a P2P game. boy am I a sucker or what" (but at least they aren't falling for BS facebook games right?....right?)

*sigh*

{mod edit}

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

They shutting down and my biggest wish becomes true. YES we did it ! we vets fucking owned $OE !!

#The NGE ist too bad for anyone to play and we told them so since Novenmber the 15th 2005 ! the real date SWG died !

rofl, you "vets" did nothing, learn to read, also for a game that died it sure is funny it went 6 years, over twice as long as both previous game designs put together, but you can keep living in your delusional dream world.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

The least, decent thing they could do is post details about it on the entry to their website, all I see when I open it is 'buy trading cards and then, buy some more trading cards'

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Cacaphony

am i wrong?

Yeah... I think you are.  You did a mighty fine job of assuming things, and not such a good job proving anything.

well...I wouldnt need posting if I KNEW I'm right. But I'll need to see a flaw in my logic pointed out otherwise between my original thoughts and nothing, I'll have to stick to what I think so far.

so why am I wrong?

So name 1 MMO that went from P2P to F2P and then died!

Its the complete opposit from what you are saying. F2P give new life to MMOs and make MORE money for the devs if done right. Chanign to a better buisness model is just imrpoving to what that consumers whant. WIN/WIN

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131

F2p games suck they got outdated graphics ,  very old engines close to no updates .

And the talk about having more subs and beeing more succesfull like lotro going from p2p to f2p is crap .

Cos its the company itself thats saying it which is just marketing  .

If a magazine would state it that i would be valid not some lies from a half death company which tries to get new subs .

P2P games are allways those with bigger budget and got better graphics /gameplay

F2p is worth 0 to me i tried both long time and any one who says difrent didnt played p2p game and has no idea what hes talking about .

Every mature person whos working will go for p2p , f2p is grind fest for kids whos got time for it and are happy just to play something , where p2p gives everything and saves ure time .

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

TBH I doubt Lucasarts would have renewed the contract with SWTOR coming out soon. Why have another StarWars themed FTP game to compete with your new release?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Markn1Markn1 Member Posts: 40

This is exactly why publishing companys do not like to publish games they don't own the rights to.  Truth is this is probably 90% lucas arts saying we dont want 2 star wars MMO's running at the same time.   So many people wrongly blame SOE for the NGE.  Sorry to burst that bubble but lucas arts approves every change made to the game they hold all the rights to.   Lets just hope they dont screw over TOR like we all know they did SWG or are at the very least equally at blame for it with SOE.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by Markn1

So many people wrongly blame SOE for the NGE.  Sorry to burst that bubble but lucas arts approves every change made to the game they hold all the rights to.   Lets just hope they dont screw over TOR like we all know they did SWG or are at the very least equally at blame for it with SOE.

This is interesting. In the same fashion, are DC comics pulling the string with DCUO? Is the game fail because of decisions by SOE that had to be approved by DC? One agent cannot operate without the other and SOE's track record with their own games does not illustrate a company that is good at MMOs. It just seems like it takes 2 to tango and singling out one member of the partnership seems a bit wrong.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Leethe

So many people wrongly blame SOE for the NGE.  Sorry to burst that bubble but lucas arts approves every change made to the game they hold all the rights to.   Lets just hope they dont screw over TOR like we all know they did SWG or are at the very least equally at blame for it with SOE.
    This is interesting. In the same fashion, are DC comics pulling the string with DCUO? Is the game fail because of decisions by SOE that had to be approved by DC? One agent cannot operate without the other and SOE's track record with their own games does not illustrate a company that is good at MMOs. It just seems like it takes 2 to tango and singling out one member of the partnership seems a bit wrong.

Just because Lucas Arts approved changes, or that DC approved changes to a game doesn't mean they knew what they were approving. DC especially isn't a gaming company. They do comics and movies.

That said, I'm surprised they're pulling the plug on SWG when they've put Vanguard out to pasture and not pulled the plug on that game. I would think a F2P option might bring in new people and possibly more money for something that's pretty much "done". Perhaps it's an image thing though...they want to have new things for people to play with, not old things.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by lizardbones

Just because Lucas Arts approved changes, or that DC approved changes to a game doesn't mean they knew what they were approving. DC especially isn't a gaming company. They do comics and movies.

That said, I'm surprised they're pulling the plug on SWG when they've put Vanguard out to pasture and not pulled the plug on that game. I would think a F2P option might bring in new people and possibly more money for something that's pretty much "done". Perhaps it's an image thing though...they want to have new things for people to play with, not old things.

I belive with Planetside Next and EQNext in development that perhaps resources are being moved around and that games that just aren't cutting it are finally being laid to rest, I do however believe that Vanguard is bound to follow SWG before the year is out.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

A friend of mine who I work with asked me recently "What you playing now?" I answered "Nothing takes my fancy atm", however it turns out he is currently playing DCUO, I was suprised and asked him how dead are the servers, he told me they weren't and that it's pretty busy, I was confused until he told me he plays it on the PS3!!!!

So even though the PC version has bombed it looks like the PS3 version has picked up the slack and made it a profitable game for SoE, guess you really shouldn't judge an MMO as being successful or not just because the PC brigade doesn't get it, the Console market might just lap it up and turn the thing around into a relative success.

• fallonfallonfallonfallon Member Posts: 99

With SWTOR just around the corner it might be a smart move to shut it down. The games is already dying ! It will take a major blow when SWTOR releases. so instead of paying workers to run a dead game. Close the game layoff the workers or move them to another project , but probably laid off. This is just smart buisness thinking.

On a level of common morality this seems to be wrong..as people need there jobs especialy this day in age. On a buisness level though i can see why Sony has made this decision.

F2p would give it a little spirt of life but it wouldnt last.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

In case you guys have not read,  Smedley has said it was not their choice Lucas Arts has pulled the license, or really has refused to renew it.  I guess because they don't want 2 competing games.

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by Papadam

Originally posted by Cacaphony

am i wrong?

Yeah... I think you are.  You did a mighty fine job of assuming things, and not such a good job proving anything.

well...I wouldnt need posting if I KNEW I'm right. But I'll need to see a flaw in my logic pointed out otherwise between my original thoughts and nothing, I'll have to stick to what I think so far.

so why am I wrong?

So name 1 MMO that went from P2P to F2P and then died!

Its the complete opposit from what you are saying. F2P give new life to MMOs and make MORE money for the devs if done right. Chanign to a better buisness model is just imrpoving to what that consumers whant. WIN/WIN

That would be The Chronicles of Spellborn....image

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Just a reminder that discussion of emulators or other unofficial servers is not permitted. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Originally posted by fallonfallon

With SWTOR just around the corner it might be a smart move to shut it down. The games is already dying ! It will take a major blow when SWTOR releases. so instead of paying workers to run a dead game. Close the game layoff the workers or move them to another project , but probably laid off. This is just smart buisness thinking.

On a level of common morality this seems to be wrong..as people need there jobs especialy this day in age. On a buisness level though i can see why Sony has made this decision.

F2p would give it a little spirt of life but it wouldnt last.

You should have read the interview. They already said all the devs are being moved to another undisclosed project in Austin.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Anything wrong with SWTOR will surely be SoE's fault. I can see it now, "You know I bet Bioware would have made a great game, but they obviously tried to take advice from SoE which is stupid. SoE ruins another MMO!!!"

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by lizardbones

Why the surprise? LA obviously wants ALL possible SW fans in TOR to help it along. Having 2 SW MMO's, however different they may be is counter productive. LA concentrates as much potential playerbase into 1 game and SOE loses it's black eye till the next fck up they make.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by MMOrUS

A friend of mine who I work with asked me recently "What you playing now?" I answered "Nothing takes my fancy atm", however it turns out he is currently playing DCUO, I was suprised and asked him how dead are the servers, he told me they weren't and that it's pretty busy, I was confused until he told me he plays it on the PS3!!!!

So even though the PC version has bombed it looks like the PS3 version has picked up the slack and made it a profitable game for SoE, guess you really shouldn't judge an MMO as being successful or not just because the PC brigade doesn't get it, the Console market might just lap it up and turn the thing around into a relative success.

My opinion of fail for DCUO is not based on it's success on the PS3 but that is another argument for another forum. What I hope happens is that this culture of neglect that exists at SOE is squashed. IPs like DCUO, as much as I didn't enjoy it, deserve better than what it's currently getting. I hope that better concentration of resources with fewer games to manage achieves that.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

on the fact that no game ever went from F2P to P2P. On the fact that games like Algalon, NFSW and others went f2p when they couldnt make it as P2P.

I mean why is AoC going F2P? Why is LoTRO? Why did Lego Universe? it's not because P2P is working for them.

meanwhile why is it that no game goes F2P - P2P ?

huh. That's what I base my oppinion on. if the two were different but equal, you'd see games transitioning both ways. since you dont, and since only games failing in P2P go F2P...and since games who fail at F2P die, i counclude that P2P > F2P > Death.

am i wrong?

You are wrong in the sense that Lucasarts still held the rights to SWG and just contracted it to SOE. If Lucasarts didn't want to renew the contract to continue the game then that's where it ends. I think IF SOE wanted to continue it then there could have been a possibility of another contract but in the end its all about money. The fans take the hit not the corporations. It sucks.

IPs like AOC, LOTRO, LEGO are ran and owned by their own companies and they have the choice to go F2P if they want to.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I belive with Planetside Next and EQNext in development that perhaps resources are being moved around and that games that just aren't cutting it are finally being laid to rest, I do however believe that Vanguard is bound to follow SWG before the year is out.

I don't see a chance for Planetside Next, there hasn't been a word about it in about half a year now, they'll probably cancel it (or already has) like they canceled the Agency. EQ Next probably has a chance, due to EQ's popularity.

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by sookster54

I don't see a chance for Planetside Next, there hasn't been a word about it in about half a year now, they'll probably cancel it (or already has) like they canceled the Agency. EQ Next probably has a chance, due to EQ's popularity.

The difference between Planetside and EQ is that SOE owns the rights to them not another company like Lucasarts. SOE could do whatever they like to them. If SOE does any other projects it might a EQ3 but who knows.

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by sookster54

There's been a steady trickle of news about Planetside Next; there will be more at FanFaire. EQNext is further out, but I think it's likely we'll see some kind of news on it at FanFaire as well.  SOE desperately needs some positive news to come out; this whole year has been terrible for them.

The release date for Planetside Next will be announced at FanFaire. EQNext is further out, but I think it's likely we'll see some kind of news on it at FanFaire as well.  SOE desperately needs some positive news to come out; this whole year has been terrible for them.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

They shutting down and my biggest wish becomes true. YES we did it ! we vets fucking owned $OE !!

No, you didn't. The game lasted for six years after the NGE, which is twice as long as pre-NGE. You didn't own SHIT.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.