Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

SWG shutting down Dec. 15th

Comments

• nyxiumnyxium Posts: 1,222Member Uncommon

‎" I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened. "

• TroneasTroneas Buenos AiresPosts: 851Member

• someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,540Member Uncommon

Originally posted by TUX426

SW:ToR isn't gonna kill SWG...only...oh...wait...wut?!

Oh...come on. Is anyone really shocked? Lucas Arts has far too much invested in SW:ToR to leave SWG open - this has been a given for years.

I seem to remember both LucasArts and SOE say otherwise in early interviews about SWTOR. That they didnt see any problems with both of them running alongside each other because they would be so different.

Can SOE keep SWG running without license from LucasArts?

• musicmannmusicmann port allen, LAPosts: 1,107Member

Well for the people who still played it for the sandbox systems, Smedly did say that SOE has something up their sleeves. I guess one can only hope it is a new mmo that uses the same systems of SWG but with a different setting and such. Honestly, SWG was very lite on SW content and much more focused on sandbox gameplay.

• WikiUltimateWikiUltimate Freehold, NJPosts: 6Member

As i said, sad to see the game go, it was my first MMO.

• kegtapkegtap Salem, MAPosts: 261Member

RIP SWG!!!!!

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• CeridithCeridith Toronto, ONPosts: 2,980Member

Why do I get the feeling that the official release of SWTOR is December 16th or shortly thereafter?

• TUX426TUX426 Madison, WIPosts: 1,907Member

Originally posted by someforumguy

Originally posted by TUX426

SW:ToR isn't gonna kill SWG...only...oh...wait...wut?!

Oh...come on. Is anyone really shocked? Lucas Arts has far too much invested in SW:ToR to leave SWG open - this has been a given for years.

I seem to remember both LucasArts and SOE say otherwise in early interviews about SWTOR. That they didnt see any problems with both of them running alongside each other because they would be so different.

Can SOE keep SWG running without license from LucasArts?

You believed them?

No. They can not.

• LidaneLidane Austin, TXPosts: 2,300Member

Originally posted by Ceridith

Why do I get the feeling that the official release of SWTOR is December 16th or shortly thereafter?

I was just talking to a friend of mine who used to work at SOE about this. He quit a few years back, but we talked about SWG closing earlier. His opinion was that this  is being done in advance of SWTOR coming out, and that it probably won't come out until after the beginning of 2012. I agree with him.

If you think about it, Skyrim comes out in November. Then you have the big Christmas rush. And Bioware is putting out Mass Effect 3 in early March. They're not going to want to compete with Skyrim for players right before Christmas and they're not going to step on their own game by releasing TOR before ME 3. We're both thinking April or May for SWTOR. Killing SWG in December allows that game to come to its own end, and gives people something to look forward to right after ME 3. 

It's a thought anyhow.

• COOKERplCOOKERpl DublinPosts: 63Member

Originally posted by musicmann

Well for the people who still played it for the sandbox systems, Smedly did say that SOE has something up their sleeves. I guess one can only hope it is a new mmo that uses the same systems of SWG but with a different setting and such. Honestly, SWG was very lite on SW content and much more focused on sandbox gameplay.

Please PLEASE tell me when / where He said that? Any source? I hope it's true.

• Karnage69Karnage69 Phoenix, AZPosts: 255Member Uncommon

Originally posted by kuhronusu

now i'm fearing for Vanguard.

RIP SWG, i never played it but i read very interesting things about it... i hope someday another company creates a game as great as SWG once was.

(mod edit)

I swear to god if they pull the plug on Vanguard, I will have lost all faith in SOE. (What little was left)

I will never play an SOE game ever again and I will avidly convince my friends to follow suit.

Just sayin'.

• SWGmodAlphaSWGmodAlpha Landover, MDPosts: 126Member

Originally posted by kishe

SWG was a sandbox, TOR is a wow-clone themepark.

Not many SWG fans will like TOR

This is correct.

TOR will be as big a fail as STO.

SWG players will not flock to KOTOR for many reasons like:

Space ships on rails.

No Player Bounty System.

No Real Crafting.

ETC.

LA can clean my ball sack and SOE is a fail company and neither will get a dime from me again until they prove they can make games and not just cash cows.

• COOKERplCOOKERpl DublinPosts: 63Member

What if EQ next will have world like Vanguard and systems like SWG ? Even if from soe - I will buy it ;)

• TUX426TUX426 Madison, WIPosts: 1,907Member

Originally posted by SWGmodAlpha

This is correct.

Space ships on rails.

No Player Bounty System.

No Real Crafting.

ETC.

LA can clean my ball sack and SOE is a fail company and neither will get a dime from me again until they prove they can make games and not just cash cows.

All the more reason for Lucas Arts to pull the plug.

FAR too much invested in TOR for it to be compared to this game.

• miceinblackmiceinblack Gurnee, ILPosts: 122Member

I won't shed any tears for this game going away after they destroyed my character for their so called improvements and treated the player base like dirt. I know many wish they could have personally pulled the trigger on this game a long time ago. Its too bad that some of the key people who destroyed this game are still at the helm of making new MMOs. I hope those that stuck with it till the end or started trying it can at least get something out of The Old Republic although I doubt that the new Star Wars game will satisfy the sandbox elements that some crave.

• musicmannmusicmann port allen, LAPosts: 1,107Member

Originally posted by COOKERpl

Just read the interview at massivly. He just said that they don't think sandbox is dead. I took that as they will probaly make a new game that will incorporate some of SWG systems with a new skin.

• KendaneKendane Las Cruces, NMPosts: 225Member

Originally posted by SWGmodAlpha

This is correct.

Space ships on rails.

No Player Bounty System.

No Real Crafting.

ETC.

Sorry but you just sound resentful that TOR isn't SWG 2.0 The Old Republic edition.  I doubt people will be an optional single player space mini game is in the game?!?!?!? FORGET THIS GAME!  Also WoW and Rift are doing just fine without a player bounty system.  I'm sorry the game you liked is going away, but please, TOR might not reach 11 million, which people automatically equate to the game "failing" but unless something is seriously wrong, they can keep people entertained.

So anyways, the time I played you was fun back when you first released game, and you lasted a fair deal of years, better than games like say...Horizans or something.

Also to add something, in the end what I said might not be the case and you're just sick of WoW like games, just seems pointless to assume the game is going to fail this early on.

Originally posted by COOKERpl

oh god.

you would seriously consider purchasing another SOE MMO after what they've done to SWG?

{mod edit}

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,912Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Troneas

oh god.

you would seriously consider purchasing another SOE MMO after what they've done to SWG?

{mod edit}

Why are you so worried about what other people do? You honestly think if SOE made a sandbox they'd NGE it again? I find that highly unlikely. Besides if SWG wasn't Star Wars I have some doubt it would have ever happened to begin with. The IP IMO made the game more a failure than it would have been under a different name, there would be no pre-conceived notion of what kind of profits should have been brought in.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Norfolk, VAPosts: 413Member

Good riddance to bad post-NGE rubbish, though I'm sad to see the game go due to nostalgia, memories of good old times. It's a truly emotional feeling, remembering those good times, and knowing that the virtual space in which they occurred will soon no longer exist.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

Originally posted by Malickie

oh god.

{mod edit}

Why are you so worried about what other people do? You honestly think if SOE made a sandbox they'd NGE it again? I find that highly unlikely. Besides if SWG wasn't Star Wars I have some doubt it would have ever happened to begin with. The IP IMO made the game more a failure than it would have been under a different name, there would be no pre-conceived notion of what kind of profits should have been brought in.

hello my old friend.

after what they have done to their other games after the NGE and to the NGE itself (TCG?) despite assuring people such actions would not take place and despite breaking their word countless times yes i think SOE is capable of breaking any game. 

Perhaps not to the extent of the NGE but when have they appologised for the CU? That was a major revamp and still today they regard it as a normal patch. That "upgrade" nerfed professions, made items useless, revamped the combat system, and so on and so forth. 

Is the CU acceptable to SOE and the NGE isnt? Its open to debate. Frankly, at this point, i think there is ample evidence to suggest that committing to one of their games is risky business. 

• kobie173kobie173 Rochester, NYPosts: 2,075Member

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more of the old folks claiming that the disgruntled vets somehow accomplished this when the NGE existed for longer than both previous iterations of the game.

That said, this announcement should really come as no shock.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• ProfRedProfRed Duluth, GAPosts: 3,511Member

SOE business plan:

1) Launch a new title, or acquire an existing title.  Both build an existing player base.

2) Ignore said player base, bring in people who have never played the game, and in some cases who don't game at all.  Use these peoples input to change the game while ignoring and alienating the current player base.

3) When this naturally fails (Because how the hell would it ever succeed?  I mean this is the worst idea ever.) fire half of employees, and combine studios into one.

4) Launch a slew of scattered micro transaction collectible games knowing that they will not be supported for long and virtual collections will be destroyed to milk a new kind of playerbase.  Repeat step 1 and 2.

5) When this fails again fire half of the employees once more and begin to close down titles cutting losses to focus on new titles.

6) Profit?

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,912Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Malickie

oh god.

{mod edit}

hello my old friend.

after what they have done to their other games after the NGE and to the NGE itself (TCG?) despite assuring people such actions would not take place and despite breaking their word countless times yes i think SOE is capable of breaking any game. 

Perhaps not to the extent of the NGE but when have they appologised for the CU? That was a major revamp and still today they regard it as a normal patch. That "upgrade" nerfed professions, made items useless, revamped the combat system, and so on and so forth. 

Is the CU acceptable to SOE and the NGE isnt? Its open to debate. Frankly, at this point, i think there is ample evidence to suggest that committing to one of their games is risky business. 

Honestly commiting to any MMO is risky in this day and age, whether it's SOE producing it or not.

The CU was what basically killed the game IMO, the NGE just did the rest. Though I will say, at this point I feel what's in the NGE now, may be better than what was in the game during the CU, minus profession choices of course. That or the state of MMO's today just makes SWG even with NGE feel like so much more than it actually is.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Originally posted by kobie173

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more of the old folks claiming that the disgruntled vets somehow accomplished this when the NGE existed for longer than both previous iterations of the game.

That said, this announcement should really come as no shock.

"existed" does not mean it was in a healthy state.

SOE prolonged its decaying state with the TCG lottery cards and server transfers. 

So no, its not a shock to anyone. most people had in fact predicted SWTOR would put the beast to rest indefinitely.