Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Shutting Down This Year

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Sony Online Entertainment and LucasArts have announced that the venerable Star Wars MMO, Star Wars Galaxies, will be shutting down later this year. With the Star Wars contract between LucasArts and SOE ending in 2012, both parties have come to the decision to end service for the game on December 15, 2011.

The official announcement can be viewed below or on the official Star Wars Galaxies forums:

Dear Star Wars Galaxies™ Community Member,

We write to you today to inform you that on December 15, 2011, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) and LucasArts will end all services (MMO and Trading Card Game) for Star Wars Galaxies (SWG).  The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game.

We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans.  We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we’ve received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years.

In recognition of your incredible loyalty, we are extending special Fan Appreciation offers to the current SWG community. We also plan to go out with a bang with a galaxy-ending in-game event in December and hope to see you all there. The details relating to these offers and events as well as the timeline and specifics regarding the discontinuation of the service, are provided below.

Again, we want to extend our heartfelt thanks to our player community for making SWG one of the best online communities in gaming history.

Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment & LucasArts

For additional information, Massively.com sat down with SOE's John Smedley to discuss the shut down.

Comments

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

This is like commiting suicide before SWTOR comes to pull the trigger.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Sooo....how did that NGE work out for you SOE?

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

So SAD :(

I just came back after years of not playing becouse sony got hacked. Sony gave everybody that had a old acount 45 free days.

To bad they are shutting the game down. I was having fun playing SWG.

It is the best way to wait for TOR now.

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

This is oddly poetic.

Kind of like how the Empire gets destroyed and balance is finally brought to the force... But Vader and the Emperor wiped out the Jedi, and billions of other lives first.

SoE / Lucas Arts embraced the dark side and have paid the ultimate price for their twisted plans and ways. Their game is dead.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

That's really sad... It's never a good thing to see any MMORPG die. RIP SWG!

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

SWG will forever live in the annals of MMO history for what not to do to during a game's development cycle.

Joined - July 2004

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by remyburke

SWG will forever live in the annals of MMO history for what not to do to during a game's development cycle.

Course: How To Alienate Your Entire Playerbase - 101

Professor: Dr. John Smedley

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Now can the swg vets get over it?  Please!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

I will always remember the pre-nge game as  perhaps THE mmo, were i met the truest friends, and most terrible enemies, and had tons of fun. 

it might be poetic justice, but somehow i feel they kinda asked for it all those years ago, sadly.

R.I.P old friend.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by waynejr2

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

FTFY

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

But hey don't worry! We will always have World of Old RepublicCraft!~

Seriously, a great sandbox game ends and we will be getting a generic washed out themepark sw mmo instead? And by Bioware of Dragon Age II fame instead of Bioware of KOTOR1 Fame?

This just proved that there's no god in this world. If this world had a god, such injustice would not happen and everyone would be happily playing singleplayer KOTOR III continuation of kotor frnachise and SWG would have never got NGE.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by waynejr2

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

nope,

let the "I told you so" begin!

but honestly

who didn't see this comming, we knew the population was not up to par to make money, all the profits came from the station pass. 

i am not surprized at all

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

I have a bad feeling about this :P

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

Making way for the WoW Star Wars mod!

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

I hope someone start SWG vet support group...to what will they channel all that hate and frustration to...you know, the one that has kept them bashing NCU for 8 years or so?

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by sevitoth

Sooo....how did that NGE work out for you SOE?

So well aparently since they decided to make a themepark next ;p

Well Lucas at least Soe, who care really ?

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

my heart will always have a place in SWG. RIP

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I thought they would try f2p before closing. I guess the change to f2p would cost too much to develop and be too late.

• Hendo0069Hendo0069 Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by Yuui

But hey don't worry! We will always have World of Old RepublicCraft!~

Seriously, a great sandbox game ends and we will be getting a generic washed out themepark sw mmo instead? And by Bioware of Dragon Age II fame instead of Bioware of KOTOR1 Fame?

This just proved that there's no god in this world. If this world had a god, such injustice would not happen and everyone would be happily playing singleplayer KOTOR III continuation of kotor frnachise and SWG would have never got NGE.

I don't know if you were being serious or not, but either way this made me laugh so hard.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

This is horrible horrible horrible.  Should have tried ftp before dumping..One of the few MMOs on the market that had unique features to offer. 

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Me and SWG parted ways a few years back due to the NGE,  anybody who did not see this coming has a skewed since of reality.  The truth of the matter was most of the folks left a long time ago.  The rest kind of wound up on starsider.

Oh well I figured they would wait until swtor nailed them I guess they had the since to see they no longer had the player base.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

I feel sorry for all the loyal SWG fans out there, cause I know there were still a good number of players. It's unfortunate they couldn't agree to keep the game running for them. it sucks to see all that time and work die off.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by erictlewis

Me and SWG parted ways a few years back due to the NGE,  anybody who did not see this coming has a skewed since of reality.  The truth of the matter was most of the folks left a long time ago.  The rest kind of wound up on starsider.

Oh well I figured they would wait until swtor nailed them I guess they had the since to see they no longer had the player base.

I think that if they still have vanguard going then SWG could still stay affloat.  I have a feeling this has more to do with Lucas not renewing the license with SOE.  Or at least not at the reduced price that they had been running it on for the last few years, especially with KOTOR coming out, why would they feel the need to?  I have a feeling it wasn't SOE's decision.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Originally posted by erictlewis

I think that if they still have vanguard going then SWG could still stay affloat.  I have a feeling this has more to do with Lucas not renewing the license with SOE.  Or at least not at the reduced price that they had been running it on for the last few years, especially with KOTOR coming out, why would they feel the need to?  I have a feeling it wasn't SOE's decision.

You are probably right...LucasArts probably just told them they are done.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Makes me wonder what would have happened if SOE had swallowed their pride and released some pre-NGE servers.

No I don't believe for a second that they didn't have the old code to do it.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.