Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't buy this....YET

Bought direct from their website early yesterday for £30, and paid via paypal which is fine. Downloaded game, created account, verified email etc.
Tried to pay for a subscription to enable me to pay the game. Can't.
Still can't, probably 20 hours later.
This is apparently a known issue, but there's been no updates on it for about 10 hours (being a launch day I would have hoped they would pay staff to work overnight to make everything smooth, ho hum).

Seriously, I've never played this in beta or whatever and like the look of what I've seen and heard about it, but for a brand new player to not be able to pay to subscribe and play the game is not a great way to attract new business!
Sort it out please, I want to play!

Proud Master CH -
Sorry,
Proud FORMER Master CH...
my toon was untimely converted into something more Star Warsy

Comments

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I hope they fix it for you soon. I played the game in beta test and it just was not for me and it seemed sluggish.

• VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177

Did you contact their support.. If you contact them directly through their support Email they will probably fix your issue manually.  They had to do a similar process with headstart keys because some retailers didn't send them on time or even at all.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Either way I'd like to hear your thoughts on gameplay when you get in to play it.  Always looking for something good to play.

• bigfootsbigfoots Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Vandarix
    Did you contact their support.. If you contact them directly through their support Email they will probably fix your issue manually.  They had to do a similar process with headstart keys because some retailers didn't send them on time or even at all.

Yep, put an email to support and a petition in - monitorred their IRC and can see on their forum that 'set subscription is unavailable' is a known issue and being worked on....no updates for a long long time. I'm sure they are working on it, but having shelled out for a computer game, it's very frustating in this day and age to not immediately be able to jump in and play it!

And yep - of course I shall post my impressions on the game when I eventually do get to play it....after taking a deep breath and not letting my frustration tarnish my opinion of what I encounter ingame....

Proud Master CH -
    Sorry,

• VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177

G&H is really a casual play game imo the first 11 levels are kinda.... sluggish then it slowly picks up till about lvl 21ish and then the game gets fairly fun. They really could use some more enjoyment in the early levels but at this point in time its hard to say what they could do to make it more enjoyable for those first few levels. (on a side note those levels fly by fairly quickly at least.)

So once I do, eventually, get to play - you'd recommend going only for a cheeky one month sub and not being insane and paying for three months just for some random ingame item?

Proud Master CH -
    Sorry,

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by Vandarix

G&H is really a casual play game imo the first 11 levels are kinda.... sluggish then it slowly picks up till about lvl 21ish and then the game gets fairly fun. They really could use some more enjoyment in the early levels but at this point in time its hard to say what they could do to make it more enjoyable for those first few levels. (on a side note those levels fly by fairly quickly at least.)

I agree with this. I played in the Alpha and the Beta and it does get more fun as you advance but when it was heading out of Beta it was another "not quite ready" MMO. It could have used another few months in beta.

I am going to give it some time and then will probably give it another go. it DOES have some cool features not in other MMOs.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

If you can play your free month period then I would not say that this is a sufficient reason to not buy the game as for sure they will fix it within the free month.

Free trial month? What's that then? When I try to login to the game it refuses me entry as I have not setup a subscription on my account.

Hence no gameplay, and one frustrated game buying would-be player.

Proud Master CH -
    Sorry,

• SunSwordSunSword Member Posts: 43

As I mentioned in another thread, we don't have a general problem with billing. In almost every case the problem has been either a problem with the customer's data entry OR the data the customer has provided is tripping our security protocols. We're fine tuning those protocols, but it's always best to be conservative.

For now, we've decided to get everyone who has purchased the game and has valid code applied playing with a few free days while we work out each customer's specific issue.

bigfoots, we'll get you sorted in short order.

As for why we didn't work billing overnight... unfortunately banks and credit card processors don't tend to keep late hours, so there's not much we can do until day time if you have a specific billing issue.  We have overnight support for other game issues.

Anthony Castoro
    EP, Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising
    http://www.godsandheroes.com
    CEO, Heatwave Interactive
    http://www.heatwave.com

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309

I'm gonna go the other way and say to get the game and support the developer on this one so the game gets expanded on.

I haven't had a MMO to play for a couple months now, burnt out on everything else.  I love ancient rome so i decided to pick this one up yesterday.  I was a bit nervous as i've bought a few stinker MMO's.  Especially with people saying how bad the graphics were.

I have to say i was pleasantly surprised.  the graphics aren't bad at all on max.  They are missing bloom and all that crap but who cares.  They don't look bad at all.  I cranked everything up and turned on nvidia 3d vision and i was pretty wow'ed.  It ran good and looked great in 3d.

The gameplay is a little clunky.  Might have been lag last night but the combat buttons weren't responsive and the game would say i wasn't close enough even though i wasa right on top.  Launch day stuff i guess.  There was also some lag between when you saw a weapon hit and when you heard the sound, like a quarter of a second lag maybe?  Not a huge deal but definately the most annoying issue i found.

If you like ancient rome, you should allready be playing it.  If you're tired of everything else why not try it.  39 bucks ain't much even if you don't go past the first month.  The estate system seems cool.  The biggest thing for me as to how long i'll support them is how long it takes to see improvements.  If they move quickly they'll keep me for a long time.  If they move at blizzard speed then i'm gone.  I'm not waiting 6 months for basic features.  I want to see marked improvements in the first month.

But seriously, give it a shot.  I'm liking it and i'm one cynical SOB when it comes to MMO's anymore.  It's missing some now de facto features at launch but as long as they show quickly it'll be fine.

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

@ vanderghast

Looks great in 3D (Nvidia 3d vision) ? Thats awesome news! Not many mmos that I know of work well with 3d. Wow used to....(before cata update) atlantica online, and now Gods&Heroes:) Thx for the heads up.

Originally posted by Krelian

@ vanderghast

Looks great in 3D (Nvidia 3d vision) ? Thats awesome news! Not many mmos that I know of work well with 3d. Wow used to....(before cata update) atlantica online, and now Gods&Heroes:) Thx for the heads up.

Yeah the nvidia software says it's rated as good.  Says the sky renders at wrong depth and something with reflections on water.  I didn't notice anything messed up with the sky that was bad.  The water i didn't check.  But the game ran great in 3d on max settings and looked awesome.  VERY immersive this way.  I've tried some other mmo's in 3d and most of them don't work well but this one works great.

The only thing is i wish the game itself had some brightness and contrast sliders so i could compensate in game for how dark 3d vision gets.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by Yamota

If you can play your free month period then I would not say that this is a sufficient reason to not buy the game as for sure they will fix it within the free month.

I don't know about that. They are a small studio and I have yet to see a game with a weak launch take only the free month to get things on track. I like this game and always thought it had potential, even when I was in the original beta a few years back, but it is "in MY opinion" not fully baked yet and is a 4-6 months off of being so.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by vanderghast

The gameplay is a little clunky.  Might have been lag last night but the combat buttons weren't responsive and the game would say i wasn't close enough even though i wasa right on top.  Launch day stuff i guess.  There was also some lag between when you saw a weapon hit and when you heard the sound, like a quarter of a second lag maybe?  Not a huge deal but definately the most annoying issue i found.

Everything you just wrote have been problems since day one and they have never fixed them!  Us beta testers have been screaming for them to fix these problems and we've felt ignored.  Good luck in ever seeing those issues fixed.

A helpful community manager got on the case and I can now login, thankfully.

I'll share some thoughts and observations when I've given the game a fair shot (ie not after an hours gameplay lol).

Proud Master CH -
    Sorry,

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

Everything you just wrote have been problems since day one and they have never fixed them!  Us beta testers have been screaming for them to fix these problems and we've felt ignored.  Good luck in ever seeing those issues fixed.

While that's disheartening, it's not a deal breaker for me anymore.  I've dealt with this kinda stuff since i started playing MMO's back when meridian 59 first launched.  Is it annoying?  yeah.  is it a deal breaker?  Not really, at least not if the rest of the game is ok.  If the rest of the game is crap then yeah.  I had the same issues in alganon i think it was, didn't last 15 mins as i didn't like the game.

I'm probably more willing to cut this game some leeway due to the setting.  I love roman mythology and roman history.

Like i said though for me personally if the development cycle is plodding i'm going to not stay around long.  If there's some decent progress i'll stay for a bit.  The game needs more depth that's for sure and if they can move quickly i think the estate system and such could provide it. 

It ain't a perfect game, but it's better than anything else i've tried in awhile and will probably hold my interest longer than the 2.5 weeks i lasted in Rift.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

I reach level 8 yesterday, after their CS guy Allison gave me a free pass because of the issues with "set subscription failed". They did write that they are working on this issue, so ill imagine its going to work soon. I do like they are just allowing people in right now though, this is good customer service. Also the emails i send them was answered almost immidiately. Thats just something very rare in the world of MMO's, good customer service.

I also got a wow experience when the first graphics came on to the screen. Although a little later I came to the conclusion that, yeah the graphics fair, but there are still some places where they must have well.. overlooked.

The animations are pretty chunky and really sends the signal of  a lowbudget (and unfortunately a bad artist's work). I really felt send back to 2002, when this was the standard.

The best thing they got right is the running speed. yay, Im really getting somewhere. I found myself just running around for a bit. 

Combat is the usual 2002-style, except, the mage is really exceptional powerful, at start. Never seen that before in this way.

The missions are the usual :; kill 10 pink rabbits and return to me. However the landscape and the mythical beings made this feel a bit different and I found myself exploring the world as well. 

The world layout is ok, not as good as the superb Entropia, nobody is, but better than rift and wow. Here you actually can explore places without an overly risk of dieing.

Overall I do tend to agree. On todays market, this game is to be classified as a F2P quality. It has some UP's, but the general polish is not compareable with the competition (which right now is mainly Rift). If they make the game F2P, it is however worth playing. They would probably also earn more money this way, so when they figure this out,  you should try it.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Originally posted by vanderghast

Originally posted by Krelian

@ vanderghast

Yeah the nvidia software says it's rated as good.  Says the sky renders at wrong depth and something with reflections on water.  I didn't notice anything messed up with the sky that was bad.  The water i didn't check.  But the game ran great in 3d on max settings and looked awesome.  VERY immersive this way.  I've tried some other mmo's in 3d and most of them don't work well but this one works great.

The only thing is i wish the game itself had some brightness and contrast sliders so i could compensate in game for how dark 3d vision gets.

Yes, playing this game in 3D removes all graphics concerns as it runs and looks very good.

The only other games (MMOs) that work well with 3D are, Wow and War, as far as i have seen.

Vanderghast, if you want lighten the game when in 3D mode use the gamma setting(found in the Advanced Quality setting I think). Just adjust one or two notches towards the light side as too much and you begin to lose colour. This affects all games that run  in 3D btw.

You can also increase the convergence, by press Crtl F6 and reducing it by using Ctrl F5 in game. This has an effect where your char seems futher away and hence adds more 3D-ness. Ctrl F7 Saves any adjustment made to convergence.

This is different to divergence that you can use the wheel on the IR Transmitter or by pressing Ctrl F3 and Ctrl F4 to adjust.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by Mitara

Overall I do tend to agree. On todays market, this game is to be classified as a F2P quality. It has some UP's, but the general polish is not compareable with the competition (which right now is mainly Rift). If they make the game F2P, it is however worth playing. They would probably also earn more money this way, so when they figure this out,  you should try it.

Not sure I would go so far as to say this game is ONLY a F2P standard. I'm more of the mindset, in it's current state, that it's a half-way game, not quite P2P at fullprice and not quite F2P either. If a stamdard P2P is $50 and $15 a month, then this one should be $25-$30 and a $7-$8 a month game. And I think if they priced it that way they would see a LOT more interest and support.

I just dont see why we can only have one or the other in the market, why can't we have a midline. It's not written in stone someplace that an MMO can ONLY be released at full P2P pricing OR it has to be F2P with Item Mall.

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

I'd like to think this means that they have more customers than expected. I played a bit in beta, and was unimpressed - graphics and gameplay seemed worse than games that are 4-years-old. However, that was beta, and it might be better, now. I'll check it out at some point.

Originally posted by VultureSkull

Yes, playing this game in 3D removes all graphics concerns as it runs and looks very good.

The only other games (MMOs) that work well with 3D are, Wow and War, as far as i have seen.

Vanderghast, if you want lighten the game when in 3D mode use the gamma setting(found in the Advanced Quality setting I think). Just adjust one or two notches towards the light side as too much and you begin to lose colour. This affects all games that run  in 3D btw.

You can also increase the convergence, by press Crtl F6 and reducing it by using Ctrl F5 in game. This has an effect where your char seems futher away and hence adds more 3D-ness. Ctrl F7 Saves any adjustment made to convergence.

This is different to divergence that you can use the wheel on the IR Transmitter or by pressing Ctrl F3 and Ctrl F4 to adjust.

Didn't know about the convergence setting.  I only got 3d vision like last month and as it turns out ALOT of the games i personally play don't work for squat with it so i haven't gotten to use it much.

As for those saying that this should be F2P.  Why?  F2P sucks.  Everything about it sucks.  I'd rather pay the 9.99 a month and just be done with it.  Besides there's no rhyme or reason anymore what games are F2P and what aren't.  Within another year probably the ONLY mmo that won't be F2P is wow just due to how many subscribers they have.  These other guys do it because it opens the door for ALOT more people to play their games and even if they just buy 5 or 10 bucks here or there they are making more than before.  The people that were allready playing will probably keep paying a monthly fee and the people that wouldn't have played are now probably dropping a few bucks here and there.

This game definately isn't a AAA title but its on par with games like vanguard and AOC.  But then again what other AAA mmo have we had in awhile?  None that i can think of  The last final fantasy was pure garbage and the only AAA mmo i can think of coming is The star wars one that alot of people are kinda bailing on due to how it looks and how it's turning out.  This game will probably be F2p after awhile to survive, but i still think as long as you like the setting and as long as they actually move forward with some progress it's worth the 9.99 a month that it costs.

There's always people that are going to bash smaller titles like this, it doesn't have such and such graphic bells and whistles or doesn't have this feature or whatever.  What i don't get though is on this sites very forums that Xyson game, that looks to be pure and utter garbage was getting stellar word of mouth and was being talked about like it was the second coming and it looked like a busted and 10% finished game to me with no content at all.  Company shill posters?

• metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329

This isn't too bad a game and like some mentioned you need to email support about that issue.. I had it too and it took 1.5 hrs to fix during business hours.

The game itself is not too bad but it had some serious issues in my opinion revolving around the combat being too slow and laggy. Theres also some other issues about lag that should be fixed too its hard to explain but it doesn't have that nice fluidity you would expect.

This games biggest problem is its not polished enough for prime time when games like rift come out and raise the bar on polished launches to what we saw there.. I think they released to take in revenue to help further development and fix that game so your essentially paying to play a beta but its not completelyt unplayable.. I bought the game and 3 months sub just to help them out even though I only played a few days before I couldn't take the combat system anymore. I tried both casters and melee classes and couldn't get in to it.. its just too slow and the ui/combat buttons are laggy and non responsive. Its unfortunate too because I love the idea and ancient mythology fantasy in a mmo rpg, it helps break up the monotony of all the elves and dwarf game we get inundated with.. The game itself seems just massive though and there was no shortage of quests from what I saw.. I think it would be a good go between game for a lot of people till something else comes out they've been waiting for.. me, I waiting on diablo 3 at this point and swtor even though I think tor will fail, not due to polish issues but some mechanics they choose to go with which will not go over well with the mmo gamers. but if your into paying to play a single player online co op game that focuses heavily on companions npcs: I.E Kotor 3, tor probably won't be that bad a game for you.