Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server is up again, and running smooth!

wmada2kwmada2k Member UncommonPosts: 193

Seems like they got rid of the crashes finally!

Lets go graveyarding again! Weii!

Comments

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Nice!

Are horses still disabled? I haven't had time to play for the last few days...

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

After 4 days of unexplained downtime, "running smooth" and "MO server" doesn't fit in same sentence unless used with "NOT".

• wmada2kwmada2k Member UncommonPosts: 193

Nope, horses is in again! =)

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

there is no need for them to eplain the downtime any further than, there is a problem its being fixed and we will get free gametime. Why must people insist on knowing every thing that happens? be lucky you got that much most non indie devs wouldnt tell you anything.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Originally posted by deathshroud

be lucky you got that much most non indie devs wouldnt tell you anything.

"That much" what? All they said there was an unexpected error they were fixing. Any company would say pretty much same, indie or not (as far I know it is not a common practice in AAA companies to bring server down without a notice).

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Toferio

"That much" what? All they said there was an unexpected error they were fixing. Any company would say pretty much same, indie or not (as far I know it is not a common practice in AAA companies to bring server down without a notice).

Wrong.

Originally posted by Nevulus

Wrong.

No, you are wrong. See, I too can claim stuff without any facts behind them. Feel free to link (or tell about) couple of incidents where a tripple A games server been down for couple of days and company didn't say a word about it, with launches being exception.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Wrong.

No, you are wrong. See, I too can claim stuff without any facts behind them. Feel free to link (or tell about) couple of incidents where a tripple A games server been down for couple of days and company didn't say a word about it, with launches being exception.

Rift.

During it's first few weeks of release the game was taken down several times with little to no notice, sometimes during prime gameplay hours, ranging from hours to a couple days, to address severe issues ranging from duping to exploitation of the authentication system to allow account breaches.

It was frustrating yes, but it was warrented because of the severity of the issues, and honestly reflected better on the company that they were committed to fixing issues ASAP rather than wait around and let the damage get worse.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Originally posted by Ceridith

Wrong.

Rift.

During it's first few weeks of release the game was taken down several times with little to no notice, sometimes during prime gameplay hours, ranging from hours to a couple days, to address severe issues ranging from duping to exploitation of the authentication system to allow account breaches.

It was frustrating yes, but it was warrented because of the severity of the issues, and honestly reflected better on the company that they were committed to fixing issues ASAP rather than wait around and let the damage get worse.

Sadly your mistaken, Trion has always posted a server wide messege when servers go down. Did they jump onto the forums and announce it immedietly, probably not. But people knew the server was coming down and why. You even stated reasons why the servers were brought down. You wouldn't know that if they didn't tell you, right? Well unless your just making things up. Cheers! :P

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Wrong.

Rift.

Sadly your mistaken, Trion has always posted a server wide messege when servers go down. Did they jump onto the forums and announce it immedietly, probably not. But people knew the server was coming down and why. You even stated reasons why the servers were brought down. You wouldn't know that if they didn't tell you, right? Well unless your just making things up. Cheers! :P

15 minute warnings, at best, in the cases they were brought down. Personally I don't consider 15 minutes much of a warning, not to mention that in most cases when they did this the initial explaination was very vague, only to be posted a couple days later. Unless you were logged into the game and paying attention at the time of the server message, you wouldn't know why the servers were going to be down, or why, that's even if you could dechipher meaning out of their initial explainations.

In fact I remember playing during the first week, being in the middle of using a trade skill to break a few items down for their components, only to suddenly get a message "this skill has been disabled". No server message, no explaination. It didn't come out until severals hours later in a server message that is was disabled 'to investigate a problem', and wasn't until several days later that the actual problem (a dupe exploit) was corrected and anyone could eve use the abiltiy again, and that Trion had even explained what the actual problem was.

Yes Trion was a bit better about things in general, but they did take the servers down several times with very little warning or initial explaination as to why. But it's far better to take the game down to fix serious issues than to leave it up and let the fallout get progressively worse. More warning and explaination would be great, for all cases involved, but I'm sure the people dealing with the issue were far more concerned at the time with dealing with the issue ASAP than they were with making sure everyone had a clear explaination as to why.

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

Originally posted by wmada2k

Seems like they got rid of the crashes finally!

Lets go graveyarding again! Weii!

Sorry for my sarcasm, but it sounds like its sufficiently rare that you make a thread about it,

interesting

Originally posted by mackdawg19

15 minute warnings, at best, in the cases they were brought down. 

Well, a warning is a warning. Also, I did note above, when asking for examples to not count launches in. I guess the point I was trying to convey is that SVs praised communication on server downtime isnt that great or special.