Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warning: Don't Download Bounty Bay Online!

The reason I am posting this, is because after downloading Bounty Bay online from the official site yesterday, both me and my friend's computer both got a virus from it. I do not want others to experience this same problem. So I decided to post this warning, so people know not to download it. I understand that maybe people who have downloaded from the site at an earlier time might not have had this problem. But obviously something is wrong if an official download is giving out viruses.

Comments

• RekhinooRekhinoo Member Posts: 4

Hi,

It's hard to belive mate that u've got a virus from the official download link. I play BBO for 3 years and downloaded it several times until now and never had any problems of this kind.

Anyway, I've contacted the staff regarding this problem and they will investigate.

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

lol 2 posts vs 1 post... what to make of it.

• MonfangMonfang Member Posts: 48

I would prefer that we ignore both of them until something offical comes out of the works. Don't waste time with speculation, get the facts.

As I said, I've contacted the BBO stuff.

And here it is the official post: https://forum.bountybayonline.de/showthread.php?t=68536

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

From the above posts link, note the wording...

Hello community,

In a post made on mmorpg there was a user saying that the Bounty Bay Online official links has embedded viruses that affected your computer.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ay-Online.html

It is my pleasure to say that the links have been checked once again and are not infected at all. Please disregard the accusations made by that player on that forum as the links are once again safe.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Originally posted by Rekhinoo

As I said, I've contacted the BBO stuff.

And here it is the official post: https://forum.bountybayonline.de/showthread.php?t=68536

Case Closed then. Unless someone can bring up a third part with creditials that can counter their statement, then this is just a case of mistaken identity and someone with a problem with their firewall and anti-virus programs and want to blame it on a game.

Quite sad, really.

Originally posted by Kreedz

Hello community,

In a post made on mmorpg there was a user saying that the Bounty Bay Online official links has embedded viruses that affected your computer.

It is my pleasure to say that the links have been checked once again and are not infected at all. Please disregard the accusations made by that player on that forum as the links are once again safe.

'Once again' could mean that he is repeating himself.

"The links are safe. Once again, the links are safe." 

Nothing more unless you have third party proof that the links were, at the time, not safe. Without that this is just a conspericy theory.

If you read careful the entire phrase you will understand the true meaning, as Monfang noticed:

Hello community,

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Originally posted by Monfang

Hello community,

'Once again' could mean that he is repeating himself.

"The links are safe. Once again, the links are safe." 

Nothing more unless you have third party proof that the links were, at the time, not safe. Without that this is just a conspericy theory.

Words and their grammatical placement are how people communicate primarily on the internet, I would hope a game's Moderator or CM understands that concept.

Well, they obviously watch the MMORPG.com's activity at least, so we cant accuse them of not being dilligent.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• FateChangeFateChange Member Posts: 3

Both me and my friend are diligent in keeping our computers safe and virus free. It was the download from the official site, and perhaps they've fixed it after I've posted this. But at the time it infected my and my friend's computer to the point we could do absolutely nothing, we had to get rid of everything, so how would we have evidence when it caused our computers to require to be formatted? And who in their right mind would redownload something that messed up their computer the first time? It wouldn't even let us scan or delete that file. How could we get proof? I just wanted to warn people, because I know I'm very overprotective of my computer and when something like this happens when I downloaded from an official site I can't help but be upset. Honestly I broke down after it happened, because I never thought an official download would be infected. Both me and my friend had been looking forward to playing Bounty Bay Online.

I hope that Bounty Bay will make sure their downloads are safe more often, because it makes no sense and they have no excuse for what happened. I'm glad they rechecked them after hearing this, however, I do not feel like playing the game after that horrible experience with the download last time. This is not meant to deter people from playing Bounty Bay, but just to warn people that they could very well become infected. Since they said their downloads are once again safe, then they probably are.

Lack of evidance is not proof there of. I'm sorry you had to reformat. But until someone can get solid proof that the download from BBO can carry viruses, you words have no weight, not matter how much you type. Until such time, you are just saying baseless hype and an attempt to slander a MMO and the company behind it. As such, I  request that you do not contenue this any further. Thank you.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Downloaded the other day with NO virus.  You don't think it's more likely that your anti virus is mistakenly flagging some code as a virus?

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Dang, that sounds real... well un-real lol.

Being as diligent as you say with your computer, I would expect you have current AV software installed.

So you are saying you got a ZERO day virus in the download, with a payload that causes that much damage?

It's pretty rare to get a virus these days that is distructive in that way. There's much better uses for viruses than that.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

Im using Eset smart security buisiness edition here and i just update VO client (was install but didnt play for a long time) and nod32 had detected 2 virus in core.exe and bugreport.exe. Real virus or not this is never a good sign when you got some alerts for a game client.

I just realise this Voyage Century i have install not bounty bay but far has i know this is the same game.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Silok

Im using Eset smart security buisiness edition here and i just update VO client (was install but didnt play for a long time) and nod32 had detected 2 virus in core.exe and bugreport.exe. Real virus or not this is never a good sign when you got some alerts for a game client.

I just realise this Voyage Century i have install not bounty bay but far has i know this is the same game.

Voyage Century is the NA version and Bounty Bay the EU version, essentially the same thing but i think run aand updated by different people(although i think bb is(or was) mor sandbox).  Don't think there'll be a lot of difference in the client architecture.   Not sure what the original far east version is called.