Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overall fun,but I'd wait. Pro's & Cons

Beta Tested G&H both closed and open

As the title says the game is pretty good and fun. Its might be better to come back in 3-6 months though. So I'll list pro & con

Pros

Mythological instead of tired out fantasy setting

NPC cohort/companion system that you can change,develpe,recruit

You get your estate right after tutorial island and can start working on it

Quests are fun/ combat is fun

Cons

Bugs. Most aren't game killers, but they are there

Graphics are a mixed bag, some look good, some look very bad

Highly developed early areas, but it gets sparse the higher you get in level

Missing classes (scout & nomad). Some areas aren't developed

So overall a fun game, but I'd give it a development cycle before picking it up.

Comments

• DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237

If people just keep WAITING for games then people dont ever sub and a game dies. If you enjoy a game play it. if you dont dont. i dont get whats so hard about that. You should never go by someone elses thoughs youve got to try it yourself. Worst comes to worse your out 50$ or however much it is or you could wait for a free trial. *i dont actually play but this is my 2 cents. though i did beta test it.*

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

See this is the issue, its a pay to play.  I played beta as well but realized I wouldnt pay to play this game.  It doesn't do enough to seperate itself to warrant any money from me.  I'd rather play F2P games as many of them are on par with this game.  I agree with the pros and cons, but paying for this game doesn't make sense to me.   Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by DrDream

If people just keep WAITING for games then people dont ever sub and a game dies. If you enjoy a game play it. if you dont dont. i dont get whats so hard about that. You should never go by someone elses thoughs youve got to try it yourself. Worst comes to worse your out 50$ or however much it is or you could wait for a free trial. *i dont actually play but this is my 2 cents. though i did beta test it.*

Well, there was an OPEN beta, and most people I clocked on at any point was less than 75 on all three servers combined.  There is ZERO interest in this game currently.  That is a major issue.  Make it B2P and I'd willingly shell the 50 out.  Add in some nickle and dime sub fee(9.99 or less based on time) and I have to wonder really how.

We all know there is not really even 30 days worth of content if you play it, and maybe a slow leveler who plays an hour or two a day may take a bit more than 30, but I highly doubt it.

Todays population on time:

7:15 EST Server Population:

Mars: 45

Barrachus: 44

Euro: 18

Total :108

10:00 EST

Mars: 63

Barrachus: 54

Euro: 13

Total: 130

I have my boxed copy sitting right next to me in a bag.  Unless that number reaches a minimum of 300 at any given point until they deactived my account for not activating retail, its going back.  (I'd prefer a minimum of 200 on my server at any point, but figure it might be pushing it and not even giving it a chance)

If there are not 300 players playing, the box price in two months will be under 30 bucks and I'll pick it up I imagine, I just can't see spending 50 on it currently even though I think its a unique game with a lot of potential.  If they decide to drop the sub fee at least until some more stuff is in, I'd keep the copy.

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Sadly the numbers stated above really are bad for any MMO, they're definitely not sustainable that's for sure. I do feel if they took a smart F2P model they'd have a ton more success.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

worst advice ever, always look at peoples opinions and reviews before you buy anything, unless of course you just like to wast money.

I enjoyed this game in beta but think 39.99 plus subscripiton is a little rich, $25 with a $9 subscription I am in like flynn.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Originally posted by pmaura

worst advice ever, always look at peoples opinions and reviews before you buy anything, unless of course you just like to wast money.

I enjoyed this game in beta but think 39.99 plus subscripiton is a little rich, $25 with a $9 subscription I am in like flynn.

Worst advice ever. Other people cannot determine what I like, as DrDream said, if i enjoy it I will play it regardless of what other people whom I don't know think.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by VultureSkull

Worst advice ever. Other people cannot determine what I like, as DrDream said, if i enjoy it I will play it regardless of what other people whom I don't know think.

{mod edit}

Really?   So if the poster buys the game and enjoys it... its a bad thing just because you don't agree with them?   I totally get into debating quite a few things.   Yet telling someone that my personal viewpoint is fact for them in a subjective market seems a stretch.   Doing so while trying to be insulting is just kind of...

I beta tested the game and wouldn't buy it.   However, if someone else wants to and enjoys it.. good for them.

• HyperbeamHyperbeam Member Posts: 124

So what anything that reviews something should pack up and go home?

Reviews are always subjective, taking five minutes to read something can tell you that.  There is always value in reading anothers opinion and then making your own enquires.  If neither of you are interested in other peoples opinions why do you frequent these forums then?

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160

I fully agree with the OP, I did take the plunge against my better judgement and bought the game, while it has a great deal of potential its just not up to scratch just yet, my advice would be to wait a while until they have fleshed out the issues.

Would like to say however, while this isnt the game for me personally, some people are enjoying it alot, it may be the game for you or it may not.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by Hyperbeam

Reviews are always subjective, taking five minutes to read something can tell you that.  There is always value in reading anothers opinion and then making your own enquires.  If neither of you are interested in other peoples opinions why do you frequent these forums then?

Reviews are always welcome, and yes they are subjective. The issue these people were making isn't with the 'review' portion of the post, it was with the 'recommendation' part of the post. You're more than welomce, and encouraged to tell peoplewhat you thought of a game, it's why these forums are here, but there is no need to be telling others what you feel they should do.

If people would stop with the 'I wouldn't buy this if I was you', the 'wait 6 months before you buy this one', the 'if you play this you're stupid', and the 'you're wasting your money if you get this game' then there wouldnt' be the rebutal comments.

Tell everyone what you liked, what you didnt like, why you're playing it, and why you're not playing it in your review. Thats called a review. But leave out all the parts where you tell others what you feel they should be doing. Thats all most of us are saying here.

Me, I bought this game, had one HELL of a hard time even getting it to run (patcher issues for days), but I still enjoy it and will continue to play it. The part I hate the most about most MMOs out right now is not the game content, it's the player community in them. It seems the larger the game population, the larger the negative population and thier negative influence on my enjoyment factor. So sure the pop is low here, but every one of the people that play it are worth hanging around with. And that alone makes it ten times better in my book than any other AAA MMO on the market today, P2P and F2P.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by kikinchaz

Sadly the numbers stated above really are bad for any MMO, they're definitely not sustainable that's for sure. I do feel if they took a smart F2P model they'd have a ton more success.

I still can't believe they tried to launch this Game with a Pay/Sub model...I've been a Fan of this Game since the Perpetual Beta and through this past Closed/Open Beta...The Game have vast possibilities...But it's got issues as well...And to try and launch a Game like GnH with the F2P competition being what it is...Well...To say they have a mountain to climb, that would be the understatement of the year...I wish GnH the best of luck...I really do...But at this point, I'm not shelling out cash for it...I'm paying for Games right now that offer FAR more content and many, many, many more Folks to play with...image

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by ScribZ

So sure the pop is low here, but every one of the people that play it are worth hanging around with. And that alone makes it ten times better in my book than any other AAA MMO on the market today, P2P and F2P.

Facebook doesnt require a Fee and monthly sub, if you want a social network.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

maybe if developers actually finished a game before they ask us to pay for it, as well as a monthly sub....asking the OP to play and pay instead of waiting just to keep the game from dying is not only stupid, it also encourages developers to release unfinished games. The sooner we MMO players grow a set of you know what...and a backbone and just say no to unfinished buggy games, then dvelopers will not be encouraged to release them. Pre-Order is for suckers....

• Nonsensei436Nonsensei436 Member Posts: 14

It's not the consumer's responsibility to shell out for incomplete games just to support the market.

It is the developer's responsibility to release a game worth buying.

Originally posted by Beachcomber

So sure the pop is low here, but every one of the people that play it are worth hanging around with. And that alone makes it ten times better in my book than any other AAA MMO on the market today, P2P and F2P.

Facebook doesnt require a Fee and monthly sub, if you want a social network.

You know the amazing part, I was talking about people with YOUR exact attitude. Ever have anyone tell you to F Off before? Cause well....you rightly deserve it after that smart assed comment there. I made a truthful comment about the population in this game, you decided to pull your head out of your ass just long enough to act like a flipping fool in public.

Oh and for the record there bub, I never said I wanted a Social Network or a social networked game. I stated I hate asshats in MMO games and the freaking attitude they bring to the experience when your playing it. I also never said I cared about the cost of a game either, I'd be more than willing to drop $200 a month on a quality game that guaranteed I would never have to listen to people like you. Unlike some people, money is NOT an issue to me when I select my form of entertainment. I work hard in my personal life to get payed what I do, I earn it and the right to use as much of it as I like however I want to. So keep your sweeping generalizations and comments in your head where they belong.

Originally posted by Nonsensei436

It's not the consumer's responsibility to shell out for incomplete games just to support the market.

It is however the responsibility of the consumer to decide if the product they are purchasing is complete enough for them to be satisfied with thier purchase. If a company relases a product, and is honest about what it has and has not, then the responsibility lies with the consumer to decide if that product is worth thier money, no matter the percieved opinion of some as to its complete or incomplete nature.

If you believe a product isnt finsihed enough for YOUR money, then simply decide to not spend YOUR money on it. It is however NOT your responsibility to dictate to others how they should make that choice with thier own money.

It is however the responsibility of the consumer to decide if the product they are purchasing is complete enough for them to be satisfied with thier purchase. If a company relases a product, and is honest about what it has and has not, then the responsibility lies with the consumer to decide if that product is worth thier money, no matter the percieved opinion of some as to its complete or incomplete nature.

If you believe a product isnt finsihed enough for YOUR money, then simply decide to not spend YOUR money on it. It is however NOT your responsibility to dictate to others how they should make that choice with thier own money.

First of all this fantasy world where game developers are up front and honest about the flaws and shortcomings of their products doesnt exist. They know that they get no points from their customer base for admitting flaws, so they dont. The consumer is left to wade practically alone through a sea of uncertainty and misinformation, and that is by design. Game developers releasing a new product want the only way for a customer to properly evaluate that product to be for the customer to buy the box.

Thats why games are released unfinished. The developers feel that the game is "fiished enough" to get an uncertain review from the critic community which is enough to fool people into dropping $50 on their incomplete game. This model works, because its what happens time and time again and its been going on for years.

Second, it may not be my responsibility to tell others whether or not they will be wasting their money, but it sure as hell is my perogative. If i think a game is terribad and i know that my tastes are pretty mainstream i WILL raise the red flag because i despise the system of deception i described above.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

First of all this fantasy world where game developers are up front and honest about the flaws and shortcomings of their products doesnt exist. They know that they get no points from their customer base for admitting flaws, so they dont. The consumer is left to wade practically alone through a sea of uncertainty and misinformation, and that is by design. Game developers releasing a new product want the only way for a customer to properly evaluate that product to be for the customer to buy the box.

Thats why games are released unfinished. The developers feel that the game is "fiished enough" to get an uncertain review from the critic community which is enough to fool people into dropping $50 on their incomplete game. This model works, because its what happens time and time again and its been going on for years.

Second, it may not be my responsibility to tell others whether or not they will be wasting their money, but it sure as hell is my perogative. If i think a game is terribad and i know that my tastes are pretty mainstream i WILL raise the red flag because i despise the system of deception i described above.

Actually, you assume your "tastes are pretty mainstream".  There is absolutely no certainty that they truly are.

Originally posted by Vato26

Actually, you assume your "tastes are pretty mainstream".  There is absolutely no certainty that they truly are.

Yes there is. The games i like are popular. Hence my tastes are mainstream. This is not hard.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by Vato26

Yes there is. The games i like are popular. Hence my tastes are mainstream. This is not hard.

So, you go with the crowd?  Follow the clique?  Do what others tell you?

Popularity of a game does not mean it is actually good.  Popularity of a game shows that a lot of people flow towards that game BECAUSE there's a lot of people in it.  Like what you are doing... following the clique.

If that's what "being mainstream" actually means, then "being mainstream" is something that people should avoid as it's associated with cliques rather than quality.

I actually feel sorry for you, really I do. You have it in your head that the world, and everyone in it is purposely trying to decieve you at every turn. It must be hell getting up every morning and deciding which worthless avenue to walk down, since no matter which one you chose, there will be nothing but negativety and built in impediments you must traverse, just to get to the end of the day.

Granted, there are some out there that relish in the idea that they can screwed with people all the time, but I seriously doubt that EVERY game designer out there PURPOSELY tries to ONLY make thier game finished enough to confuse and and bemuddle the consumer long enough to steal thier money. More likely is that the producers of the games (not the developers) have decided that the product is finished enough to make them a profit and have forced the developers to push them out prior to the proposed design.

Dont forget that there are two different objectives with those two different sides of a games implimentation. The developers usually, honestly, want to give thier work the quality they themselves would desire in the product. The publishers just want a product they can push out and make money on. The problem is that a game developers usually believe they can alaways make it better with just a bit more time, so it can become a never ending cycle if not pushed out eventually. This problem lately, more than in the olden days, has been to push release as early in the process as is safe due to the need to show profit on investment for a companies shareholders. A mistake the publisher/producer makes - not the developers.

But truely I do feel sad for you for thinking the world is full of conspiracies and people bent on defrauding you at every turn. The fact still remains though, my previos statements do ring true none the less. As a game is released it is the responsability of each person to look at that game, and decide if the quality it was released in is worthy of thier money, as they see fit to decide. It is only the arogant who believe they are so much more informed, so much more important in thier social status, so much smarter than the rest, that thier opinion is NEEDED by others on how they should use thier own cash. The truth is, they neither are, nor is thier opinion needed as they so believe.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by sumdumguy1

See this is the issue, its a pay to play.  I played beta as well but realized I wouldnt pay to play this game.  It doesn't do enough to seperate itself to warrant any money from me.  I'd rather play F2P games as many of them are on par with this game.  I agree with the pros and cons, but paying for this game doesn't make sense to me.   Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

You are not alone in this opinion.  If this game was FTP or BTP with no monthly sub, I would probably grab it. RIght now though, there are much better options out there.  LOTRO, RIFT, WoW, Vanguard, EQ2.  They at least earn the monthly fee.

• GrafbendaGrafbenda Member Posts: 51

This is the worst advice ever to give someone, it because of people like you that sub standard games are released, game companies know they have a mindless group of  people who will buy whatever they put out with the promise of  future content much later on and in most cases it is much much much later on that the game is playable or fixed.