Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Tanks: E3 2011: World of Tanks Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During E3 2011, MMORPG.com's Joe Iuliani had the opportunity to swing by the Wargaming.net booth to check up on World of Tanks. Joe chatted up the dev team and has some insights to share with you so keep reading!

WoT is a free to play “MMO” with a fairly quick leveling system and is exclusively PvP. There are currently hundreds of tanks available to play as well as a variety of modifications available for each. Some of these modifications consist of communications, ammunition, horsepower, boosts, outside armor and tank components. As described by the WoT team, “Tanks are complex machines with thousands of parts. We want to allow you to modify many of these.” Not content with the tanks currently available to play, the team has the intention to have more tanks available for play by the autumn. British tanks will be considered exotic, while Japanese tanks will be considered “super exotic.”

Read more of Joe Iuliani's E3 2011: World of Tanks Impressions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

glad to see this game getting some press, but you guys need to change somethings in the article.  currently medals dont allow you to do anything to your crew, they are just there as a status symbol.  your crew trains from 50 percent to 100 percent with battles then there are three different secondary skills you can train, repair, firefighting and camoflauge which gives you bonuses to those respective things on your tank. 

this is a great game though, wargaming has made some critical bad ideas in the recent past but nothing gamebreaking such as imo adding tier 8 premium tanks and not opening up clan wars to lower tier tanks. clan wars is still technically in beta but right now its about the biggest tanks in the game and it should be opened up to everyone.

still though, its a game that has kept me interested and entertained for about a year now which is better than any other triple a mmo has done since city of heroes.  it is a very fun game and pretty addicting if you like tanks.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

I had no idea. If it is all abou the PvP, count me in. Thanks for this article.

• AlienstudiosAlienstudios Member Posts: 49

It's a good game, But it's all about skill (which I don't have) and theres no way to get better but battle the same amazing players and hope you get better. Hope the come out with PvP

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Why are we calling this an mmo when it is clearly a co-op game 15v15 random match maker.

There is no mmo,  just different mapes with random 30 players per map.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Yeah i personally would lable it as an online shooter rather than an MMO.

Then again you do unlock tanks through XP (grind) and Credits and you also upgrade the tank and crew so it's not exactly like an online shooter either (where you pick your class which is exactly the same as every other person using that class on the map).

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138
    Thanks for the article. I'll be checking out this game for sure!
  • stefanakisgrstefanakisgr Member UncommonPosts: 38

This a strategy / skill game . I love it . The team that will have better scouts  , better placement , will concentrate fire , will win . You have to flow with battle , reinforce weak points , assist teammates if u want a chance to win . I think what is missing from random battles is a better way to communicate strategy . Other than that its hard as hell in the beginning , but tottaly worth it .

• stefanakisgrstefanakisgr Member UncommonPosts: 38

Forgive my double post but I need to clear something up , I dont consider this a free game  . Its free to play but the penalty involved is 50% less xp and money per battle , and most of the times if the battle does not go your way , u will end up with less money than you started with (you have to pay for repairs and ammo) . Plus imagine a situation where you get average 250 xp per battle , and you need 100000 xp to get next tank . Double that to get the money to buy it ....

In my book thats too much of a penalty , but on the other hand Im paying for it and dont regret it , its a great game and worth it , even more so if u consider the changes coming up .

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by Death1942

Yeah i personally would lable it as an online shooter rather than an MMO.

Then again you do unlock tanks through XP (grind) and Credits and you also upgrade the tank and crew so it's not exactly like an online shooter either (where you pick your class which is exactly the same as every other person using that class on the map).

You do have spesific classes (or roles) to choose from, it's just it isnt that clearly laid out for you.

Simply put, there are long range (sniper), CQC/brawler type of tanks (most notably short barrelled heavy calibre guns), scouts, and nuker (SPG).

As for the grind part, think of it like CS (kill someone/win rounds for money to buy upgrades). Difference is it'll take longer time to get what you want.

Until they fix some bugs out, most glaring ones are the spotting mechanism and matchmaking. I suggest you hold out your wallet just yet. You've been warned.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by stefanakisgr

Forgive my double post but I need to clear something up , I dont consider this a free game  . Its free to play but the penalty involved is 50% less xp and money per battle , and most of the times if the battle does not go your way , u will end up with less money than you started with (you have to pay for repairs and ammo) . Plus imagine a situation where you get average 250 xp per battle , and you need 100000 xp to get next tank . Double that to get the money to buy it ....

In my book thats too much of a penalty , but on the other hand Im paying for it and dont regret it , its a great game and worth it , even more so if u consider the changes coming up .

Just play up to tier 6 tanks. These tanks are easily managed without buying premium. Getting up the path will require a premium account or a bunch of low tier tanks to support it.

edit: cant blame them actually, this is how they make money. You want cool tanks? Pay for it. You want to win? Guess what? you have to pay for it.

• yuras1984yuras1984 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    or you just have to farm for it :)