Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gods and Heroes: Rome Rising: Launch Day Interview with Anthony Castoro

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today marks the culmination of a development cycle that's gone through more twists and turns than a Monte Carlo racetrack. Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising officially launches today and we have an exclusive interview write up between Heatwave's CEO Anthony Castoro and MMORPG.com Industry Relations Manager Garrett Fuller. It's a must read on this most-important of days. Leave us your thoughts in the comments below.

Anthony explained that Heatwave worked very hard to build and polish the game when they got the rights to it. Most of all they took into account player feedback and tested out the game to make sure the right polish was put in. Anthony explained how important the Beta phases for G&H were to help build the game that players wanted. Now all of the changes planned were set for launch, but the team has a clear plan for the upcoming months to expand content and game play.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising - Launch Day Interview with Anthony Castoro.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Wish them all the success. Will wait for PvP to be added b4 trying this game. GL!

• eveque67eveque67 Member UncommonPosts: 64

Im going to be trying this game out now.  PvP isnt the hinge by which I choose a game and the rest seems like a refreahing change from the elf/dwarf thing.

• AkruxAkrux Member UncommonPosts: 56

Sounds like another game not ready for launch but being launched anyways. Crafting, auction house and PvP are still in the works. However it is still "a full MMO experience." I don't think so.

• AlienstudiosAlienstudios Member Posts: 49

The servers were low on open beta(  there were like two ), I wonder what there like now.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I participated in the beta and thought the gameplay was solid but not unlike rift i got that old been there done that feeling minus some cool mythology...

I also wish these guys well on their journey..

Playing GW2..

• WazMeisterWazMeister Member Posts: 149

PLaying it, Loving it......

First mmo in ages I've enjoyed more than a hour!

• StormwindStormwind Member Posts: 60

It is not ready but they release it.  No auction in a game that is going to have an auction (system) ? released >?? 

No crafting in a game that is going to have Crafting ? Released ?

No PvP in a game that is Going to have PVP ? Released ?  

PvP changes the entire dynamics of character strengths and weaknesses and has to be balanced and tested and balanced again, almost with out exception changing how players characters act in PVE ... and this game is released with NONE of this balance and testing done now ? 

HA ... released  game ?  This is Beta with months and months of major changes to how the game plays for every player class comming. 

Look at how barren the world looks ?  Unless these screenshots are from alpha stages of the game there is a total lack of world filler in place .. the tufts of grass looks as though the land was cut open like a sheet of paper and a flat green grass picture stuck in.  No rocks or stones or dead branches in wooded locations .. desert  pic has no mounds of sand or anything to make the FLAT plain barren land look like it might sorta Be Real. 

I am not dogging on the Graphics I am talking about the Lack of  Clutter in the world for a better way to describe it.  The city pic is empty ..  where are the crowds of people npc or player.  where is the stalls and the dogs and cats and children ?  everything looks so sterile and plain from all the pics I have seen ..

This type of world does not even draw me into it .. I have no desire to see more of it based on what is shown in these pics.  Really ?  This is your best foot forward ?  The players characters do not even appear to be standing ON The Ground ?  Looks like they are floating  just  above the ground ..

In a year maybe if your still around I will look at it again.  Maybe by then you will have gained some good world creaters that can bring life and breath into your sterile world  for players to enjoy.  The way it looks now?  Bland and  Blah blah blah  .. Meh .. (what ever those words mean) 

Shame on you for releasing a Beta on the populace ..  OF COURSE you can have more content comming out after Release .. that is expected and wanted by the players ... who does not want that ?? 

BUT to have the Baisics of your game NOT IN THE RELEASE ????  Shame shame .. PVP >. Crafting > Auction >  and more ?  as I have not played the game I am going by others who express the frustrations as well, in a NOT READY to release game. 

You talk about Loot in the interview and how important you feel that to be, in the fact that it Means something to the player and yet do not offer them  an auction House ?  In some Near Future patch it might get added ?  Your talking out the side of your mouth when you say stuff like that and the actions say No No No .

I am sorry this got so long winded.  I get on a rant when I see crap like this shoved down the throat of the player community and people think it is Ok and alright that it happens.

Buy a new model car from some company and then after you buy it find out that the heater and winshield wipers are going to be added into the car in a later date .. to be announced .. or that the rear seat is only a cardboard cut out of what is comming in a later version of the vehicle ... Does it make sense ?  Of course not .. nobody would buy something that is NOT COMPLETE or with promises to be Right in some part of the future. 

Yet game company after Game company Crams that same type mentality down our throats release after Release.   

It has to stop ... my onlly real way to protest is with my money .. Your not getting any of it with a release like that .. and neither did FF14 ... maybe the player base is getting smarter afther all ?  The FF14  game has all but gone belly up, as Most players  found that game not enjoyable and it felt so unfinished, that no amount of promises would keep us.

Here I go again ... Goodbye this time for real.

Look to the stars to know HE is with us. HE hung them as markers, of times and of seasons.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Combat mechanics of game-play were fine with this title, but the game, content, and overall mmorpg deliverables within design are so shallow and lacking that I don't think that it's price-point/business model and subscription rate, which matches that of a AAA Mainstream mmorpg is at all worth it.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

I'll check this out when it goes free to play... like it should be.  I can't believe they are trying to charge 50 bucks plus a sub fee for a game that is really already old.  This game looked less than impressive when it was supoposed to launch and dint a couple of years ago.  Now it's launching in to a market filled with free to play, tripple A titles and they think they can charge more for less.  How many companies have to go under tryiong to sell us a game we aren't weilling to pay for?

• DixonHillDixonHill Member UncommonPosts: 89

Wow.

I played the open beta from perpetual´s version for about one day, before they suddenly canceled the game. It was "ok", kind of "meh", not really bad.

Now, one could think the new company will want to make everything really right now, but well, as it seems, no...pvp in "early design stages" ? Seriously? :(

What did they do all the years?

• SgtFabulousSgtFabulous Member Posts: 42

lol they leave out all the MMO features that draw players in, don't even give me that bullshit about adding things in future patches. These guys won't be getting my money thats for sure.

I'm currently subbed to Rift, which is to be honest a pretty generic MMO with some dynamic conent, but it had so much more content than this at launch, and continues to add so much more every month, and is going to offer free services like server transfers for free. This is the company that deserves my money, not these money grabbers.

Anyway, this game looks like garbage.

• MasterApolloMasterApollo Member Posts: 6

I think it's safe to say that there's still plenty to be added to the game. Yet I am burning hours and hours away in this game like I never have before in any MMO. Once you get into the first few levels and go out exploring the world with your missions, you just can't stop playing for hours.

Never been happier to sign up for a subscription before.

For those who are saying they're surprised by people's attitudes like mine, go and look at how the team at Heatwave handle their players on the forums and how beta has been handled over the last number of months. It's based purely on the actions of them and listening to us players that I'm sticking with the game.

• blackemperorblackemperor Member CommonPosts: 49

Welcome to the new era of MMOs. Give us money now, yes our product is not done yet but we "promise " it will be finished "soon".

• Killswitch34Killswitch34 Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Stormwind

It is not ready but they release it.  No auction in a game that is going to have an auction (system) ? released >?? 

No crafting in a game that is going to have Crafting ? Released ?

No PvP in a game that is Going to have PVP ? Released ?  

PvP changes the entire dynamics of character strengths and weaknesses and has to be balanced and tested and balanced again, almost with out exception changing how players characters act in PVE ... and this game is released with NONE of this balance and testing done now ? 

HA ... released  game ?  This is Beta with months and months of major changes to how the game plays for every player class comming. 

Look at how barren the world looks ?  Unless these screenshots are from alpha stages of the game there is a total lack of world filler in place .. the tufts of grass looks as though the land was cut open like a sheet of paper and a flat green grass picture stuck in.  No rocks or stones or dead branches in wooded locations .. desert  pic has no mounds of sand or anything to make the FLAT plain barren land look like it might sorta Be Real. 

I am not dogging on the Graphics I am talking about the Lack of  Clutter in the world for a better way to describe it.  The city pic is empty ..  where are the crowds of people npc or player.  where is the stalls and the dogs and cats and children ?  everything looks so sterile and plain from all the pics I have seen ..

This type of world does not even draw me into it .. I have no desire to see more of it based on what is shown in these pics.  Really ?  This is your best foot forward ?  The players characters do not even appear to be standing ON The Ground ?  Looks like they are floating  just  above the ground ..

In a year maybe if your still around I will look at it again.  Maybe by then you will have gained some good world creaters that can bring life and breath into your sterile world  for players to enjoy.  The way it looks now?  Bland and  Blah blah blah  .. Meh .. (what ever those words mean) 

Shame on you for releasing a Beta on the populace ..  OF COURSE you can have more content comming out after Release .. that is expected and wanted by the players ... who does not want that ?? 

BUT to have the Baisics of your game NOT IN THE RELEASE ????  Shame shame .. PVP >. Crafting > Auction >  and more ?  as I have not played the game I am going by others who express the frustrations as well, in a NOT READY to release game. 

You talk about Loot in the interview and how important you feel that to be, in the fact that it Means something to the player and yet do not offer them  an auction House ?  In some Near Future patch it might get added ?  Your talking out the side of your mouth when you say stuff like that and the actions say No No No .

I am sorry this got so long winded.  I get on a rant when I see crap like this shoved down the throat of the player community and people think it is Ok and alright that it happens.

Buy a new model car from some company and then after you buy it find out that the heater and winshield wipers are going to be added into the car in a later date .. to be announced .. or that the rear seat is only a cardboard cut out of what is comming in a later version of the vehicle ... Does it make sense ?  Of course not .. nobody would buy something that is NOT COMPLETE or with promises to be Right in some part of the future. 

Yet game company after Game company Crams that same type mentality down our throats release after Release.   

It has to stop ... my onlly real way to protest is with my money .. Your not getting any of it with a release like that .. and neither did FF14 ... maybe the player base is getting smarter afther all ?  The FF14  game has all but gone belly up, as Most players  found that game not enjoyable and it felt so unfinished, that no amount of promises would keep us.

Here I go again ... Goodbye this time for real.

You're forgetting the fact SE actually is still adding tons to FF14, but you don't really care about anything that you get wrong, right?

Karasu Linkshell for Final fantasy 14 now accepting all members! Just head on over to karasuls.shivtr.com and apply now! Linkshell info is on the site. :)

• urthal22urthal22 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Wish them luck. Tried the beta.

Not worth 40$ and a sub fee...at least not in its state..

They should start thinking of a F2P Model right away =/

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Not worth the money. Tons of bugs and very little content.

• It would do better is 2005 when it should of originally been released.  Too many other games now, gfx look dated and not enough in the game at start to keep attention unfortunately.

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

Agreed, it's an interesting game what with the minions system and Mythology, but it quickly loses it's charm, you're left with a very standard and aged system, korean grind etc etc..

Fun for a week or two.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• MikkhailMikkhail Member Posts: 21

OK ... being the glutton for punishment that I am, I D2D'ed it at lunch today... have not played it yet ... will fire it up after work.

Really, the only reason that I am even giving this the 30 days is b/c my play time is so limited right now ... and with the minion system it looks to be solo friendly ... and I have not gotten to play around with housing in years ...

Sooooooo ... this looks like a half court shot.  but here goes ...

Then again, you know what they say about a fool and his money heh ...

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

The dated graphics didn't bother me too much, but the game is just too linear. It felt like a 3D version of Titan Quest.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• IncendiousIncendious Member Posts: 20

What have the Romans ever done for us?

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375

Im sorry but my first associations are to FFIX. When I read its gonna be a full mmo experience, I thought to my self "Why would they say that? If they have to point it out, its something fishy going on here". Then I read about 2 classes not ready for launch, several dungeons not ready, and then I just gave up reading. I read in the comments above that AH isnt implemented by launch. 

Sorry folks, this is not going to work. There are so many similar mmos out there with which this particular one will compete. You cant afford to do these mistakes. I think there are too many dumb publishers/developers that have serious learningproblems. I was hoping FFIX would statute an example, but not to these guys obviously...

This isnt a game I will be trying.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

exact same state of affairs as when perpetual thew in the towel

they planned to release a "core" game and add all the bits and pieces sometime "later"

funny thing is those bits and pieces are the core of games these days

total failure - - - not even worth releasing it as FTP

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Like most, my impresions from beta were less than spectacular. The game had no real niche to it, and aside from the Roman setting, felt the same as the myriad of other fantasy MMO's that are on the market. 

If this game launched as F2P I could see people enjoying it, especially with the new setting that isnt found in most MMO's. However, at this price point, the sub fee and the host of missing features, I dont see how this game is going to compete especially with SWTOR and GW2 on the horizon and AoC and Fallen Earth going F2P soon. 

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I played this game during betas and it was ok, but lacked a lot of things to make it feel enjoyable to play. I was greatly shocked to see they were releasing the game already! It is NOT anywhere close to what i would concider a release stage. To me it appears to be an attempt to maybe get some revenue to complete the game, or just pure stupidity. Time will tell, but I will not be spending good money on this game.