Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal online partners with asian publisher

13»

Comments

• UnseelieCourUnseelieCour Member CommonPosts: 46

Originally posted by Nevulus

All of a sudden everyone is a stock analyst, game developing expert, and software localization guru.

Not much into stock anaylsis, but I can tell that down is bad.

Seriously though, I am a game developer and I know how publishers work i.e. they don't make loss. They're not going to fund the launch of a MMO in a new market when it has failed in another market - it will probably be (initially) on SV's chequebook. The publisher/ studio relationship is like a music label/ rockstar one in that if you get any money out of a publisher it will be clawed back out of future sales/ royalties. You also run up a bill for other things they do which don't end up in extra development cash for you. If you don't get those future sales, you're left in quite a big bit of debt. The publisher will look at a studio and decide whether they're good for that debt if their product goes under or, more controversally, throw money at a studio for a product they know will fail and send the studio under so they can step in to the rescue (and pick up the rights to a certain engine/ IP/ whatever while they're at it). *cough*E*cough*A*cough*. I'm not sure SV appeals to a publisher on either of those fronts and its only product has failed hard.

That leaves the cost of software localisation, which as I said earlier my gf works in - specifically in outsourcing to Asia, mostly China. I'm not sure people relalise just what an arduous process software localisation is. It's not like opening a book and beginning to translate. A fully fledged localisation company will take on every aspect of the work, which I'm assuming SV are shooting for as they say dev time won't be taken up by localisation (which in itself worries me, because you decide whether you will localise something before you start developing, not afterwards or during - no development time devoted to localisation = a messy localisation process). Anyway, long story short - her quote for MO in 5 Asian languages was £90,000, between 900,000 and 1M SEK. I don't think SV have that sort of money - I may be wrong. Maybe they luck out and find their dream publisher - who knows?

• kallearseskallearses Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by cirsyndic

Whatever happened to that "1 server 1 sandbox" yabber... You'd think they'd be opening a NA server first to cater to their existing NA customers that are experiencing a lot of difficulty with ping atm.

im sorry but we all know that asia especially china will become the world domination in future

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by cirsyndic

Whatever happened to that "1 server 1 sandbox" yabber... You'd think they'd be opening a NA server first to cater to their existing NA customers that are experiencing a lot of difficulty with ping atm.

I'm from the States, I don't have any ping problems.  Most of the "lag" issues were based on faulty motion prediction and netcode, which are by-and-large resolved.

My guess as to why there's gonna be a second server: the same reasons google, EVE, and everyone else had to have a seperate server for that region

• HipsterHipster Member Posts: 69

Im in NA and also have no ping problems.

I think the asia publisher is a good idea. If they keep it all on one server then they will have to change our game to asianize it and I dont want that to occur. Im glad they plan to have a separate server.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by Hipster

Im in NA and also have no ping problems.

I think the asia publisher is a good idea. If they keep it all on one server then they will have to change our game to asianize it and I dont want that to occur. Im glad they plan to have a separate server.

I have no ping problems either, and I'm EastCoast US.

I know a few Aussie players who play Mortal with no complaints about ping.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Update on the asia deal.  It's actually China specifically:

Star Vault: Comments on the agreement with Lekool

http://www.aktietorget.se/NewsItem.aspx?ID_News=59128&Language=2

Mortal Online is expanding into one of the fastest growing gaming markets - China

Given that it received a number of questions about the agreement with Lekool, Star Vault publishes this clarification.

Agreements with Lekool, open market for Mortal Online in China

Star Vault has been unique from the start to work without publisher (publisher) with the marketing of Mortal Online.  This has its advantages, in terms of ability to control development, but some marketing restrictions on markets located outside the primary focus. The rapidly growing gaming market for English-language games in China is a market we could not reach before.  Together with Lekool opened this opportunity up and Mortal Online is expanding so into this interesting market.

Mortal Online in China will run on a separate server in China and thus will not be players in Europe and the U.S. will be affected, ie separate installations with the optimal gaming experience for each market.

This is very positive for the Star Vault, because we can benefit from marketing campaigns and other advantages of the increased volume. Under the agreement, the Chinese distributor will pay an initial amount for the right to sell Mortal Online and then a royalty per sold licenses in China. The initial payment is to fund development work for installation in China.

Meanwhile, Star Vault of days released the first expansion of Mortal Online called "Dawn" to mark a new "dawn" in Mortal Online as creating much interest among new players, but also among the players who have previously purchased the license and who now choose to re-activate their subscriptions to play the new expansion "Dawn".

An expansion is a growth of the gaming world with new gameplay features, new geographic areas and in other new features such as further improved graphic experience.

In addition, Star Vault supported, as previously announced by press release, the game very interested in Swedish artist Basshunter, with several international hits and a major global online community.  Basshunter both playing and supporting Mortal Online marketing and this cooperation we expect to continue throughout most of 2011.

What is interesting (to me) is that they apparently receive a royalty on licenses sold, but no mention of any residuals based on subs. It's also interesting that they specifically mention "separate installations with the optimal gaming experience for each market" which means different clients... imagine releasing DAWN with 2 different client versions to support...

Oh well... time will tell.  So far the stock market has yawned.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

If they hope to do anything in China they better add more than carcasses to the loot table.  Basshunter is not a spokesmen??  But they add him onto every press release?  Is he popular in Sweden or something?

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Overall, I'd say this is good news for the game.  It does appear to lay to rest whether or not there'll be a China-specific server.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Looks like Mortal will be racing Darkfall to see who gets into China first:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/17/darkfall-possibly-headed-to-asian-market/

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

If Blizzard has to change the way the Undead looks in their game for China.. I wonder what SV is going to have to change to be able to release in China?

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Update on the asia deal.  It's actually China specifically:

Star Vault: Comments on the agreement with Lekool

http://www.aktietorget.se/NewsItem.aspx?ID_News=59128&Language=2

Mortal Online is expanding into one of the fastest growing gaming markets - China

Given that it received a number of questions about the agreement with Lekool, Star Vault publishes this clarification.

Agreements with Lekool, open market for Mortal Online in China

Star Vault has been unique from the start to work without publisher (publisher) with the marketing of Mortal Online.  This has its advantages, in terms of ability to control development, but some marketing restrictions on markets located outside the primary focus. The rapidly growing gaming market for English-language games in China is a market we could not reach before.  Together with Lekool opened this opportunity up and Mortal Online is expanding so into this interesting market.

Mortal Online in China will run on a separate server in China and thus will not be players in Europe and the U.S. will be affected, ie separate installations with the optimal gaming experience for each market.

This is very positive for the Star Vault, because we can benefit from marketing campaigns and other advantages of the increased volume. Under the agreement, the Chinese distributor will pay an initial amount for the right to sell Mortal Online and then a royalty per sold licenses in China. The initial payment is to fund development work for installation in China.

Meanwhile, Star Vault of days released the first expansion of Mortal Online called "Dawn" to mark a new "dawn" in Mortal Online as creating much interest among new players, but also among the players who have previously purchased the license and who now choose to re-activate their subscriptions to play the new expansion "Dawn".

An expansion is a growth of the gaming world with new gameplay features, new geographic areas and in other new features such as further improved graphic experience.

In addition, Star Vault supported, as previously announced by press release, the game very interested in Swedish artist Basshunter, with several international hits and a major global online community.  Basshunter both playing and supporting Mortal Online marketing and this cooperation we expect to continue throughout most of 2011.

What is interesting (to me) is that they apparently receive a royalty on licenses sold, but no mention of any residuals based on subs. It's also interesting that they specifically mention "separate installations with the optimal gaming experience for each market" which means different clients... imagine releasing DAWN with 2 different client versions to support...

Oh well... time will tell.  So far the stock market has yawned.

SV seems overwhelmed now, is the current game going to take a backseat to the Chinese version? $$$$

I win!!! LOL@U

Originally posted by HanoverZ

SV seems overwhelmed now, is the current game going to take a backseat to the Chinese version? $$$$

I honestly do not think this announcement has anything to do with their current troubles.  This annoucnement said they found a partner who would help them look for a publisher in China.  So that hasn' even happened yet, so I doubt they actually have  done any work on a new server, nor will for a long time to come.  

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

LMAO! This game barely appeals to more than a handful of Westerners and Europeans and they think it is going to appeal to anything other than a handful of Asians? I hope it costs them next to nothing to make an Asian version, or they are gonna regret the decision.

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Originally posted by HanoverZ

I honestly do not think this announcement has anything to do with their current troubles.  This annoucnement said they found a partner who would help them look for a publisher in China.  So that hasn' even happened yet, so I doubt they actually have  done any work on a new server, nor will for a long time to come.  

My point was the current player base is already suffering, its only going to get worse without additional SKILLED staff.   The fact the "bassmaster" (whatever) was worth another spin is rather telling.

I win!!! LOL@U