Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GamerFirst takes Fallen Earth under its wing.

causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Holy! Apperantly, G1 bought Icarus?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/05/31/fallen-earth-gets-cozy-with-gamersfirst/

Update: Quote from Hopscotch73

They didn't buy Icarus, they're taking over hosting for FE (in fact that hardware switch is just completed) - and the game is most likely going F2P sometime in the future. They're not admitting that last part quite yet though.

Fallen Earth LLC split off from Icarus a few months back. So, Icarus are unaffected by this.

Comments

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

They didn't buy Icarus, they're taking over hosting for FE (in fact that hardware switch is just completed) - and the game is most likely going F2P sometime in the future. They're not admitting that last part quite yet though.

Fallen Earth LLC split off from Icarus a few months back. So, Icarus are unaffected by this.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

It's always dishearteing everytime I hear how this game slides into the gutter. It had so much potential, and wasn't too far off from being a pretty good game if it weren't for a few poor design choices by Lee Hammock making the game more frustration than fun. Even after his departure, the game had long since lost the spotlight so that even though they started correcting poorly thought out mechanics, it was too late to redeem the game in the eyes of most gamers.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

Its nice to see that the F2P  trend can bring some good. I think its better that games can have a second chance instead of dying. Id like Vanguard to go f2p, but for some reason I dont think SOE will do anything to make that happen.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

If they would have made the combat actually behave like a tps/fps game then I would have stuck around. But getting meleed from a mob that looked like it would have been 20ft away just killed it for me.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by Rzep

Its nice to see that the F2P  trend can bring some good. I think its better that games can have a second chance instead of dying. Id like Vanguard to go f2p, but for some reason I dont think SOE will do anything to make that happen.

What i would atleast like to see is them release it as freeware  if it dies completely but companys are to money hungery to let that happen. There are so many games that have died and are now lost that i think people would play hand still have fun with if they were released as Freeware. but thats off topic.

• sanskritsanskrit Member UncommonPosts: 95

Dev team killed this game outright, beat it to death with a stick actually, by allowing an exploit ridden pvp environment to flourish while simultaneously pampering and catering to a hardcore of idiot "beta guild" players with cross purposes to the game's health, and who were -themselves- a large part of the exploit problem.

Had they rolled out content faster, the pvp thing wouldn't have been a big issue. As it was, players would cap with no further pve content and try to transition into a pvp environment crawling with bugs that the beta players exploited happily (some out and out hackers... devs do nothing at all).

Forums and ingame also hideous epeen fest of beta players... devs do nothing to mod their forums or ingame chat.

Game devs out there, please learn that though it's great that you appreciate the loyalty of beta guilds and players, the kinds of folks who take video games -that- seriously are perhaps -not- the primary feedback to rely on when attempting to develop content that will draw and retain new subscribers.

You are welcome to make yourself a cozy little video game for you and your beta guild friends, but if it isn't perceived as -fair- by the playerbase at large POOF they are gone in an instant. And... that's exactly what happened to FE.

RIP

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

I always knew this game was going down after the head developer jumped ship a while back. All the talk of tons of expansion and S4 with nothing out atm in those regards. I started playing back in the first month the game came out, got hooked for a few months hit 50 with top crafting and quit. S4 was supposed to come out a while ago. Things just went wrong for FE its a shame it was diffrent most most game and the world setting was diffrent.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

It appears that GamersFirst is now taking complete control of Fallen Earth, and it'll be going F2P, according to this article:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/15/gamersfirst-announces-acquisition-of-fallen-earth-with-new-f2p-b/

Obviously, still some questions surrounding this move.  Looks like the core design team will remain intact.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Check out the blog for quite a few details - http://fallenearth.gamersfirst.com/

It sounds like the approach they're taking is closer to LOTRO with multiple sub levels. Still the same team behind it too plus more, so updates will be more regular which is definitely a good thing. It really does seem that they understand their players are hardcore guys and sounds like they have alot of respect for their playerbase.

I'm still skeptical but if handled right could do great things for the game. It's always had a ton of potential and deserved more attention.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I'm really looking forward to this. I truly enjoyed my trial but it just wasnt enough to wanna pay a subscription fee.

Awesome game, cant wait.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

what keeps me from this game is just the art style, does everything needs to be soooo dirty? I know is the setting, thats why i not play it. BTW I liked all the rest. I like to play ina  sandbox but not in a trash box.

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

i agree that this game was largely driven into the ground by the devotion the devs showered the beta leet with. i would say the top 5 indie games of the past 10 years (excluding eve) were ruined this way. isnt there any oversight when this begins to happen?

i found the game stunning in it's potential, but its flaws made it unplayable for me.   i still cant understand why the (virtually non existant) pvp balance was agonized over, when pvp played such a small role in the game.  even all the adds for fallen earth tried to paint it as an open meaningful pvpers wonderland. to be confined to teeny zone of cross level gankage, leaving trillions of miles of game space open to pokey crafters, plodding along at a snails pace, infuriating.

also, i could never understand why the combat templates were so stringently plotted out, but the crafting roles were infinitely open to all.  this prevented any meaningful economy from developing.  if every character in the world can essentially harvest and build anything (save for the car!)  i just dont see the point in having crafting at all.  

i thought the game wouldve been better served by having open world pvp,  dedicated crafting paths (ie, you must earn and use limited points to developing your crafting skills, just the same way that combat skills are mitigated.)  and have resource types be spawned by region.  this could have given an endless conflict between the factions, who would either war with eachother for dominance, or established local market fortresses.

who wouldve imagined how peaceful and boring an fully armed apocalypse could turn out.

EDIT* after a moments thought, i think the crafting dilemma was again created by the entrenched beta players.   people who spent so much time building toons in a certain system made any meaningful update impossible.  it was a small company falling prey to WoW syndrome.  any hint of crafting reform, and the 20 odd players with more than 1000 forums posts would all be threatening to cancel their subs.   this phenomenon must go cease, if indie games are to have any hope of drawing in a larger crowd.   the devs need to decide if they are here to make a few friends, or get rich and create a topknotch MMO.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Damn lol, looks like GamersFirst is going to be the company to watch. First APB now FE, what will they get next? PW got STO and CO (lol). 

Lets see, next they grab probably Xyson or Mortal Online lol. 

Man it would be sweet if they grabbed Tabula Rasa or UOX or something like that. 

In any case Gamersfirst is making some good moves. 

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160

Wouldnt get your hopes up, G1's cash shops are incedibly expensive ($60 for 1 gun in APB), i expect alot of the current content will be locked until you pay through the nose for it.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

i think this game going f2p will be good for it. its a niche game at the mo. f2p will draw in a lot of ppl who wouyldnt normally risk the initial outlay to try the game

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• whiteskytigrwhiteskytigr Member Posts: 8

gamersfirst is gathering as much mmog that fail for $1M contracts as they can because they see it as a investment bargain. Grab a few idiots that go ape crazy over the game and want to be the best and you got a cash flow. The company litterally failed as K2 Network and if anyone is familiar with either, both k2 and now gf favor hackers, overpriced game killing features and options, and no customer support at all. Prove me wrong, I can go over several thousands of disgrunted players from Mu Online (when K2 had it) and some knight online and apb players that currently play. Worst company ever, and I gave them a chance which turned out to be a mistake.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by yorkforce

Wouldnt get your hopes up, G1's cash shops are incedibly expensive ($60 for 1 gun in APB), i expect alot of the current content will be locked until you pay through the nose for it.

Meh, the thing is though that the item shop guns in APB are a far cry from must haves. 

When I can consistantly beat those with weapons from the cash shop using the starter weapon..... I think it's safe to say buying anything off of the cash shop isn't mandatory. 

And yes the guns can go up to $60 if your looking to get the lifetime license. Otherwise it's around $10 for a 30 day license. 

What I like about APB reloaded is that the cash shop has little to no effect on the game. As long as it stays that way I'm a happy camper. Hoping FE is the same way. 

• XzitoXzito Member Posts: 43

gamers1st always been money 1st , support some were on number 999 and game last.

Ive never recieved decent costumer support or even a reply on my email , trickets. they let most of ther games die by:

Hacker / b ots , Sword of the new world Knight online , list goes on.

i wont be suppired if fallen earth gets even worse after this.

• DresbainDresbain Member UncommonPosts: 40

I really liked this game. It brought back good memories from pre-cu SWG. But I don't think going F2P with G1 is a step in the right direction. I haven't had the will to log in since the news of joining with G1 and going F2P. I think I'm going to cancel my sub and maybe if I'm bored off my keister I'll try the f2p version. /sadpanda

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."

• Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

I remember Alpha Testing this game and doing some Beta... then life happened sometime shortly after the game made the jump to Beta and suddenly it was "The game's being released?  What?"

Not thrilled to hear that my Beta cohorts ruined the game, but not entirely surprised.  The only thing about that sound bite that caught me off-guard was that Icarus actually caved to them.  Is Star Quest Online that obscure that no one learned SQO's lesson about how the community alone can ruin a game just as much as bad programming or lack of content?  Not familiar with GamerFirst, but if FE's possibly going F2P I might just consider giving it another go.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

This could be a very good move.  If a company gets a very good deal on defunct MMOs, closes them for a short period of time, and than re-releases them, they have an instant playerbase and fan for a fraction of the cost of development.  There cost is so much lower.

Not so sure this is good for the genre, but it is a good way to turn a profit off of others mistakes. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Rott23Rott23 Member UncommonPosts: 56

Will this migration include a fresh server?

I just thought about tryingt this game out this week, but I don't want to put too much effort into it if it will be wiped in a couple months.

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Originally posted by boo2319

Will this migration include a fresh server?

I just thought about tryingt this game out this week, but I don't want to put too much effort into it if it will be wiped in a couple months.

I imagine they'll keep it on one server, that was always the aim. Even in the move to F2P I can't see mass numbers flocking in like a big IP such as LOTRO transitioning to F2P. Just finished my uni studies so I'm thinking of resubbing any day now, looking forward to the F2P transition as I think it could do great things for the game aslong as the cash-store is well managed.

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

So they rebundle the client with malware, slap some GamersFirst! branding here and there, host the servers and....

Profit?