Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there anyone on these forums who hasn't been burnt on an MMO or by their hyped expectations?

MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Just wondering.

I read a lot of bitterness on these forums: people feeling disappointed, disillusioned, betrayed, their hopes crushed, hurt to the point that they've lost trust in any promise or hype, you name it, the whole wide range of hurt emotions.

For a wide range of games too, people sometimes even walking around with a grudge or simmering hatred for years for what happened to them with an SWG NGE or AoC or WAR or any of the other MMO's where people were all hyped up only to be bitterly disappointed after a launch or with a change in the game they played: a bitterness, pain or disillusion that didn't just go away within a short period of time but that kept lingering, often to the point that it changed the way they look upon things from then on, with that 'never again' kind of mindset almost similar to bad breakups.

In fact, I see it so abundantly on these forums that I'm starting to wonder whether I'm the only one or of a very few that has undergone the past 10 years of MMO gaming relatively unscathed. I think there hasn't been an MMO all that time where there was such a huge gap between my expectations and how a game turned out for me to the point of disillusion, or where any disappointment lasted longer than a few weeks.

So that's why my question: has everyone here gained persistent scars in their years of MMO gaming, or are there others who walked past that all up till now relatively unscathed?

And if so, what did you think made the difference?

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Comments

• JB47394JB47394 Member Posts: 409

The only scarring that I faced as a result of my expetations was in Ultima Online, my first MMO.  My expectation was that I'd be able to go wandering in a large world, exploring, hunting and meeting people.  I didn't realize that players would be such anarchistic imbeciles, going around PKing folks for fun.

I suppose I should say that I was burnt by having too high expectations of my fellow players.  Being a software engineer helps keep my expectations of the games themselves in line.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Ever since WAR it's been hard for me to believe the hype.  My pessemism gets stronger with each new game I try.  I'm excited for GW2 at the moment, but I'm just going to wait and see.  Honestly, I hope a handful of these upcoming games are actually good and ready for the long haul.  I'm tired of getting games I don't want to play after 2-3 months.  I'm also tired of seeing people complain about the current crop of MMOs.  It would be nice if we were all (or most of us) happy for a change. It's been a while.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

At the end of the day these are just games. To stay pissed off and hold a grudge about something like the NGE is pointless. All you can do is make your voice heard by hitting the cancel button. Thats it.

If you have invested so much of yourself on an emotional level to a game that you feel betrayed when it changes that is really just on you. Games change and when they become not so fun I leave.

As far as launch hype goes I dont really listen to any of it. To me it is a waste of time to watch hours of videos and trailers. I'll just try it when it launches.

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

The first MMO of mine was AO. And it was good up till Shadowlands expansion, and it and also thanks to Gaute Godager. That faulty expansion turned quite a bit of the game's lore and feel on its head. I quit shortly thereafter.

That is about the only time I got 'burnt' on a MMO. Most of the other times were just due to me not liking the something about game or getting bored with the solo-play after a while in not being able to find a decent group/guild to raid/play with. Which I wouldn't call getting burned as that is more of a preference thing.

But even saying that I am more guarded on hype after reading what has been done over the years and developing a 'wait and see' approach to new games.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I burn out playing MMOGs but it has nothing at all to do with hype, or expectations not being met. I learned a long time ago not to listen to hype, reviews, opinions, etc... If something that I see looks like something that I migh be interested in, I wait until it releases, play it, and make up my own mind based off that. It's a lesson that I think everyone that is a fan of this genre would do well to learn well... 

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I get bored too quickly in an mmo after aquiring all the new skills that allow a new experience is finished ie the starting phase, so never get to the halfway stage of grind and where probably the burn-out process really cranks it out?! I think mmorpgs suffer a unique problem: They are designed to be truly large worlds except that players have to accept that the main interaction or the only interaction is being able to hop around on one foot all the time they are there, all over this shiny new world without being able to use their hands. So it does not matter how big those worlds are, if the interaction is as caricatured as above, then no wonder players "burn out" repeating the same modus operandi so exhaustively in the majority of these mmorps, with arms tied behind their backs observing these splendid lands... hopping forth!

I like what GW2 has done with the environmental weapons and picking objects up, transforming into something or swimming underwater and changing what skills you have to use... more of this please... a lot more could reduce burn-out syndrome? : )

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

I think I've finally learned my lesson.  Most recently I believed the RIFT developers when they said it didn't matter how fast leveling was, because there was a ton of stuff to do at level 50 (lol).

From now on I'm going into every MMO release believing it will be mediocre until they prove me otherwise.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I dont like playing alone in an mmo. So that means most mmos are not good for me.

so now im mostly just playing co op games o.o

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Well, in general playing a mmorpg truly is a long term relationship which comes with passion and dedication!
    If the mmo, or the part of the mmo you be passionate about, is changed for the worse this absolutely gives a bad feeling and the grade of the "irritation" may translate into a long lasting hostility toward the decisionmakers and in general untrust if this is a common practice.

Personally i remeber most games a good way - with some annoyances here and there but this is nothing which could not be overcome.

But several disapointments from the same company together with an untrustworthy behavior and half assed excuses from what you know be lies, damage control truly destroy any confidence towards them.
    One publisher/developer excelled in this manner^^

So i can only say: "If you light the fire you have to stand the heat!"

At all the genre needs to show more corporate and crafter ethics but that is a sign of the time and the best advice is to stay aloof of any hype as well as any anti-hype and make a picture of your own.

After a while you know them inside out!

PS: But i truly believe that there is a silver lining on the horizon...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Yes being burnt, and disappointed by several games.  That is why I stay so skeptical about new games now.

Burnt by the NGE, I just decided it was not worth my time staying mad, but when folks ask why I tell them how I saw it go down in my thoughts.

Disappointed by AOC,  I know the op going to stick me on this one, but it really was a huge disappointment.

Burnt by lotro, dnd, STO.    I will never ever play a game made by turbine, or Cryptic ever.

War hammer a total disaster

Rift lackluster at best, and huge disappointment.  I refused to be like the other lemmings on this one.

It going to take a special game to grab my attention now days,  still playing EQ2 despite the fact it is an SOE game.

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

I may have once or twice been scorned by an MMO, but it was only due to the way I approached the MMO.  My own expectations, mostly regarding things external to the game.

When I approach games with a neutral agenda and try to just play them for fun's sake, then I have never played a disappointing game.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

For me, just two titles did it and it was my own fault, not from being over hyped: Champions Online (CO) and Dungeon and Dragons Online (DDO).

I actually expected the pen and paper games, but was sorely disappointed. The game mechanics are nowhere near what these two tabletop PnP games are.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Me. I simply never buy new games no matter the hype i give it some time.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Combination of  reasons why im not realy intrested anymore, mmo games are not intresting anymore and community have changed alot in last 6-7 years in a negative sense for me.

Asherons call 2 was last mmo i liked the community alot stopped early 2005.

Darkfall was not bad played 2 years but to much cheating(afkmacro/exploit)

But hate or totally vet up no not realy. There are just not any intresting games released anymore. There eather themeparks im not intresting in or unfinished indie sandbox games that are so bugged and useless not worth playing.

I just play solo games mainly RPGs untill maybe someday a intresting sandbox game comes along.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

"What made the difference?"

I'll try to answer that honestly, even if it may be a bit uninformed through trying some games for only a short while and making quick impressions.

Stale combat.

That is the one thing that has made me feel old and jaded. Every game that comes out offers the same old same old stand there for 2-3 seconds to cast a spell staring at a timer bar. I admit, im not a melee player and love my casters. Every damn game gives us the exact same mechanics as any other caster, there is never anything different whatsoever. There was one F2P a few years ago which touted itself as being different but it ended up being more like a slot machine of spells, one childishly predictable.

AoC promised to revolutionise combat, and it did. For Melee. The promised spell weaving turned out to be too difficult to implement and we ended up with standard fare spell casting and a clickable buff that roots you.

If a game could give me the melee combat of AoC but as a Mage and the story that Bioware promises for TOR id be a happy chappy. I'd even settle for WAR's combat, it was fast paced albeit unbalanced.

It probably doesn't help that i started MMO's with City of Heroe's release. It's combat was quicker and more involving than most of the so called modern MMO's today, even 7 years later.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I've only had one major burn in the MMO industry,  and that was with The Matrix Online (and I guess to a lesser degree SWG).  Even when I bought Vanguard I knew what problems it had but was still happy to play it.

MxO was just in terrible shape on launch,  and they couldn't get it together.  They made way too many drastic changes in the final hours,  and I was really digging the setting.  As for SWG,  I don't feel like I got burned that much seeing as how I had my many months of fun with that title before the rapture,  but it did kind of suck.

But since then I haven't felt like I've been burned, even after buying WAR, V:SoH, DCUO, hell even Xsyon.  

To be honest I think you have to get burned at least once to really understand the ebb and flow of the MMORPG genre.  Its much less hazardous in the SP style games as usually what you see in a review is what you can expect, whereas in MMOs things can change drastically in just a few weeks.  You have to be able to accept that if you ever want to be happy playing an MMORPG.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

The developers and publishers of the industry have self-created the cynisism of so many gamers. Over the past several years, and countless MMO releases, developers have spewed out lies or half-truths about their games. Anywhere from claiming next-gen, to innovation, to claims of re-inventing the genre, those making these claims have done nothing but deliver half-baked ideas that pale in comparison to the grandeous claims they made in the past.

Long story short, developers have been vastly over-hyping their products, and consumers have gotten wise to it.

In this age of MMOs, anyone having more faith beyond a 'wait and see' attitude with regards to an upcoming MMO, is begging to get burned.

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

I've been around here a long time. I pop my head in every so often to get a gauge of the community outlook on certain titles and the genre as a whole. It is a place where you can see a thoughtful and considered post about development tasks right next to a rage filled incoherent rant about nerfing/WoW/pvp/cover art.

I am also amused by the downward spiral of community standards in spelling and general sentence structure. It really keeps me on my toes as far as deciphering the new languages. (It should be noted that for many here English is a second language. A plus for the forum honestly) Yes, obviously my posts aren't perfect either. :P

At any rate, my point is that the core things haven't changed at all. The same posts about solo vs. group play. The same argument about 'you put your pvp in my peanut butter'..I mean 'pve'. The same general tone about gaming.

It is simply the nature of gamers I suspect. I'm not sure that the buildup of scars has changed the dynamic much.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

If an MMO offers traditional gameplay, then it is not easy for me anymore to like it, if it doesn´t offer loads of side content.
    IMo if Vanguard + Dark and Light didn´t release broken, then LotRo (which was #3 on hype list after the first two) and the rest wouldn´t even have an impact.

As for being burnt out: well, maybe burnt on traditional gameplay and guilds.
    I still enjoy different MMOs like Wizard 101, Uncharted Waters, Pangya and such.

Do not forget: MMO is not a genre of game, it is a technology. So there is MMO and there is RPG, Shooters, round based/real time strategy and crossovers.
    MMORPG like WoW, MMOFPS like Planetside, MMORTS like EVE

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

? Hey, they made a spotlight thread of it? Funny.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Me burnt?..........To a cinder m8. Sometimes I get traumatic flashbacks to  when War released!.......Orcs....In the trees!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Not me, I'm unscathed.

I take these games for what they are, play them until I'm no longer interested and move on.

Would I like to have one game that I played continuoulsly without the need to look elsewhere? sure.

But I don't hold any game to any expectations. They are what they are and I evaluate them as I play them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

I have been let down tremendously by alot of games, < list to long to type out here, lol > but i would like to say there is one so far < played since beta > that hasnt let me down much, thats Rift, which i still play.  Thou it is not perfect and not for some, it has alot of happy gamers playing it like myself. 

Why hasnt Rift let me down like other games? I beleive its  a combination of 2 major things.....1) as i have matured as a online gamer over 12 years < and a computer gamer in general since 1984 >  My expectations have changed of what i expect in a game company and thier online games..................2) Trion hasnt , thus far, made me feel like a customer they really dont care about < like so many other game companys do now and have done to so many of us gamers >

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

Not me.

I was burnt real bad by Aion. Played for a year and banned after someone hacked my account and I reported it. Still kinda pissed off because other than being rather dumb at the time and using same username/password combo for lots of games I did nothing else wrong. Hmm, yeah - I'm still angry about it, but most of the time I forget it.

Also burnt by Vanguard, AoC and FFXIV. These were all games I really thought I'd love and they ended up far below my expectations. I still cannot understand how FFXIV managed to lose all the good parts of FFXI - bizarre.

Having said that I don't always bare a grudge. I'm currently playing AoC again (as well as other games).

• MadimorgaMadimorga Member UncommonPosts: 1,920

Less burnt than bored of the gaming community at this point.  Wherever I go, there the same annoying, stupid people that ruined my last game for me are.  Ganking, kill stealing, loot thieving, racist spew spamming, and flooding every chat channel with idiotic memes (and naming their characters for idiotic memes and racist spew, too). 

There is usually some gold farmer and power leveling spam floating around.  Sometimes the pushy little buggers even /whisper me, which I loathe.  I'm surprised I've never been banned or even warned for some of the death threats I've come up with, but then again, tsffvttte and company probably wouldn't pass the turing test, so what does it have to be worried about? 

Three and four times an hour there's usually several idiots spamming guild invites.  Before I wised up, I would sometimes accept, only to find either a hundred idiots yapping about nothing in yet another chat channel or no one saying anything, and either way, if any material benefit resulted, it tended to find its way into the hands of a select few guild leaders.  Meanwhile, the rest of us were encouraged to babysit dozens of needy little kids who wanted power leveling and gear from players who were barely higher level than they were.

And the last real guild I was in came with some real drama.  Even if it hadn't, too many guilds force vent on people now, and I do not want to hear the voices of a bunch of people I don't even know in my ear when I'm trying to play.  It makes me nervous and kills the immersion.

I'm thinking at this point it's the community built up around MMOs in general that fails to meet expectations.

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein