Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Under Attack

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The same group of hackers responsible, or who claim responsibility, for the recent Sony hacking incident are now attacking CCP's EVE Online server. According to a terse post on the EVE Facebook page, CCP is shutting the server down until further notice to deal with the attack.

EVE Online and related services experienced an Internet attack. We have taken them down as a security precaution until further notice.

UPDATE:

At 17:00 GMT today, CCP became aware of a distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS) attack against the EVE Online cluster and web servers.

Immediately, these services were taken offline. As an added precaution, all of CCP's infrastructure was disconnected from the public Internet.

The CCP Security team is conducting a thorough investigation to determine exactly what happened and how, what the possible impact may be and, first and foremost, assuring that any personal information of our customers remains secure.

More information will be released as it’s available.

Read more on the EVE Facebook page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Lulzsec strikes again.

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

Basement dwelling script kiddies with no purpose. They "do it for the lulz" yet the only time anyone will be actually laughing is when these tools get caught and thrown in jail for a couple of years.

-------------------------

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149

I genuinely don't understand these merry bands of hackers.

I'm not knocking hacking in general.. I am, afterall, a paid hacker by profession (in a sense). 

I will never understand why they do what they do though. It just seems like they're mindlessly causing inconvenience. I have zero respect for them. 

• ArxaiologArxaiolog Member Posts: 13

I Have a feelin that they get paid for that! and those attack's are supported from somebody!

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976

well...hopefully the EvE security team learns from this and CCP as a company can quickly disclose details regarding any compromised information so thier customers can take action (cancel credit cards or whatever would be appropriate). 

Bit bummed I can't play at the moment, but hopeful something positive can come of this (i.e. greater focus on security and resilience against ddos). 

Not so much mad at lulzsec, but I imagine that'll change the longer the servers are down :P

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• CryrothCryroth Member UncommonPosts: 51

Originally posted by mklinic

well...hopefully the EvE security team learns from this and CCP as a company can quickly disclose details regarding any compromised information so thier customers can take action (cancel credit cards or whatever would be appropriate). 

Bit bummed I can't play at the moment, but hopeful something positive can come of this (i.e. greater focus on security and resilience against ddos). 

Not so much mad at lulzsec, but I imagine that'll change the longer the servers are down :P

there a problem with DDOS attacks .You can be protected from each holes but its still possible to do a DDOS attack.Everygamer / person should go against this type of behavior especially personal information that these no life idiots steals .

Another thing i would add , nothing comes positive from the gamer perspective neither the compagny itself .DDOS can come with huge consequences (monetary loss ,costumer etc..) .So my opinion on this? take all these asshats and put them in a island ,nuke them out of this world.Everyone would be happier without idiots like these going on a rage spree because mommy didn't pay there bill's.

sorry for the bad grammar .I'm not 100% english speaker .

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

Lulz will get theirs. They hacked the US Senate website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13758361). Do they really think that will go un-punished.

And by 'punished' I mean publicly flogged then privately snapped up by random government agencies and paid mega-bucks to work counter cyber terrorism...

Originally posted by Nibs

Lulz will get theirs. They hacked the US Senate website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13758361). Do they really think that will go un-punished.

And by 'punished' I mean publicly flogged then privately snapped up by random government agencies and paid mega-bucks to work counter cyber terrorism...

Hopefully torture can come with this.Especially after all these randoms attacks ,well maybe one finger cut off for each attack they did.That would be beautiful to watch on the WEBS.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

I just read they took the league of legends servers down. What a bunch of numptys. They arn't helping anyone here.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Lets see if we can put this together.

They hacked into a division of one of the world's biggest multinationals (Sony) costing them hundreds of millions and some serious embarrasment which is no small thing to the Japanese.

They target another Japanese multinational.

They target a US gov website

They target smaller companies including one that is probably one (CCP) of the most significant sources of income to a small nation that happens to be a NATO member

The only thing they haven't tried yet would be going after a big bank but it probably wouldn't matter at this point.  We will probably hear about a few more medium sized companies getting hacked and then suddenly, nothing. No more tweets, no more hacks, nothing. They will be disappeared. 14 years old or not. Screwing around with international money and politics is fundamentally stupid and unlike the movies it probably won't end well for the hackers.

All die, so die well.

• MannyManaMannyMana Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by VikingGamer

They hacked into a division of one of the world's biggest multinationals (Sony) costing them hundreds of millions and some serious embarrasment which is no small thing to the Japanese.

They target smaller companies including one that is probably one (CCP) of the most significant sources of income to a small nation that happens to be a NATO member

The only thing they haven't tried yet would be going after a big bank but it probably wouldn't matter at this point.  We will probably hear about a few more medium sized companies getting hacked and then suddenly, nothing. No more tweets, no more hacks, nothing. They will be disappeared. 14 years old or not. Screwing around with international money and politics is fundamentally stupid and unlike the movies it probably won't end well for the hackers.

When they dissapear then they have done their jobs right. How do you think hackers get jobs now-a-days anyhow?

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

I am more scared that Washington lobbiest will use these incidents to control the free internet, and thus killing our free rights.

Originally posted by MannyMana

When they dissapear then they have done their jobs right. How do you think hackers get jobs now-a-days anyhow?

kill them all? they are doing this for fun go look at there website.I have 0 respect for any hackers since the day i was born ,not one time i heard good things about them besides the rift thing and maybe couple of other things but that dosen't justify hacking or these actions.

• DWAINBDWAINB Member Posts: 2

I have an Eve account. I pay money for it. Real money. I dont like CCP but I like the game and I pay money for it. To have access taken away by a bunch of ***** well you go figure. Doesnt gain anything or serve a purphose, liberate people in Syria or report the truth. I'd liek tosay I hope they get run over by a bus but I don't really. I hope they get caught and prosecuted, and get a criminal record. As far as I am concerned, paying CPP is my decision to pay criminal fee;s. Lutz is just plain and simple theft.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976

Originally posted by Cryroth

there a problem with DDOS attacks .You can be protected from each holes but its still possible to do a DDOS attack.Everygamer / person should go against this type of behavior especially personal information that these no life idiots steals .

Another thing i would add , nothing comes positive from the gamer perspective neither the compagny itself .DDOS can come with huge consequences (monetary loss ,costumer etc..) .So my opinion on this? take all these asshats and put them in a island ,nuke them out of this world.Everyone would be happier without idiots like these going on a rage spree because mommy didn't pay there bill's.

sorry for the bad grammar .I'm not 100% english speaker .

Hence my part about disclosing details. If it was only DDoS, then sure, while there may be a number of methods to mitigate the impact of DDoS, customer impact (Aside from outtage) is likely going to be minimal.

If there was more to it then DDoS, then I disagree that nothing good can come of it. As I said, an increased focus on security would be a positive result despite short term losses. Additionally, the good does not have to be limited to CCP as other companies can learn from any 'mistakes' they made have made. Sure, life would be roses if something like this never happened, but really, if not lulzsec, then someone else these days it seems. For each "hack" lulzsec brags about, how many hacks are perpetrated by groups who do not publicize and how many customers are left in the dark. I know it's juvenielle and inconvenient, but it is also informative on some level...

At any rate, seems Lulzsec really has it in for games today...EvE, Minecraft, and League of Legends so far...Not that I would endorse it (mainly because that would leave me with two games I can't play), but wonder how resilient Blizzard's infrastructure is...

edit: also, completely agree with Kalfer's point. I'd be more concerned about kneejerk legislation then not being able to play a video game for the day, but that is just my view....

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

kill them all? they are doing this for fun go look at there website.I have 0 respect for any hackers since the day i was born ,not one time i heard good things about them besides the rift thing and maybe couple of other things but that dosen't justify hacking or these actions.

lulzec are just a bunch of idiots... they're clearly trying to make a name for themselves and are trying to look cool...  instead.. their just annoying geeks who are in desperate need of getting laid.... sad sad bunch of muppets. image

• SerrissSerriss Member Posts: 20

I just resubscribed

yesterday :(

Originally posted by Phry

lulzec are just a bunch of idiots... they're clearly trying to make a name for themselves and are trying to look cool...  instead.. their just annoying geeks who are in desperate need of getting laid.... sad sad bunch of muppets. image

agree with you there .

like the other poster above even agree with what they are doing is silly at best .What are you actualyl doing good from stealing personnal info , breaking people fun i really dont see besides behind a brat (adult? who knows DDOS are pretty damn easy to do these days).

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Hang one or two of them, and put their corpse in a gibbet to rot on a public bridge. They want to play at being pirates, I say we treat them like it. ;-)

Originally posted by Naral

Hang one or two of them, and put their corpse in a gibbet to rot on a public bridge. They want to play at being pirates, I say we treat them like it. ;-)

Good idea can I be the guy that put the rope and hang them <3????

• SerrissSerriss Member Posts: 20

I'm not too knowledgeable about hacking but from what you guys know do you think you could give an educated guess on the time to make the repairs?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

i'd even lend you the rope image

i'd suggest hanging them by the b@lls but... they might not have them... image

Originally posted by Phry

i'd even lend you the rope image

i'd suggest hanging them by the b@lls but... they might not have them... image

your a genius let try this :P

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Serriss

I'm not too knowledgeable about hacking but from what you guys know do you think you could give an educated guess on the repairs?

probably depends a lot on what they did.  Maybe today, maybe a week. Someone hacked a audio book library online and it was several days before they came back up.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

well for hacking the US Senate they have earned breaking big rocks into small in a federal pen.  Myself I think I would pick hanging over that

Currently bored with MMO's.