Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blood and Glory rule set announced! No Bori!

CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/feature/5292/Hardcore-PvP-Incoming.html/page/1

The specifics of the rule set are:

This will be a fresh start server, no transfers.

You will only be allowed one character on this server. Your reputation will mean something on this server!

There will be no guards on this server. Your only protection from other players will be your allies, and your own wits and skills.

No Offline levels will be useable, all levels must be earned the hard way!

The Shrines of Bori feature is disabled on this server, so teams can't allow their friends to progress under their protection as they can on the regular servers.

Diminishing returns has been adjusted slightly, allowing for more exp from PVP kills on this server.

There will be an option for team vs team mini-game matches through a new queue option that id designed to let organised teams pit their wits against other organised teams for bragging rights.

PVP is opened up again in White Sands isle and the Underhalls so that the PVP experience exists in some of the starting areas as well.

There will be a limited form of player looting. One random non-No Drop item from your inventory will be left behind as loot when you die to another player. There will also be some items 'generated' that players will drop, just as you see when killing an NPC.

The previous Battlekeep rewards will be adjusted.

This is going to be awesome...

Comments

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

The no Bori is pretty interesting. I really was not a fan of farming out there. 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Can someone explain the No Bori part? 

• Will be worth checking out. My only fear is that without the rank and file PVE noobs to stalk, we will all be faced with actual PvP and not enough people will like it. I guess the population on this server will most likely be quite low, as the gankers will stay away as they don;t get easy kills from mission runners. I relaly wish it would work, but I think there may be too many self professed pvp 'experts' who will shy away from this because it is hard.

• Originally posted by Daffid011

Can someone explain the No Bori part? 

I think it just wont be active on that server. They conceeded the fact it was a half-PvE activity and wasn't suitable for a full-on hardcore PVP setting, effectively admiting they added it to allow the carebears to get PVP levels while protected by their friends. So at least they have had the good grace to remove it from this server. They also had a poll on it on the forums and the PVP community was almost unanimous on removing it.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Thanks for the reply CyanSword. 

Was Bori part of the expansion and in a nut shell how did it work?

Major points to Funcom for addressing the issue though.

• Originally posted by Daffid011

It was a feature added to the Border Kingdoms open PVP area. Basically you mined rocks and brought them to an altar for 'sacrifice' and in theory anyone could stop you (the rocks could be looted if you were killed), but what ended up happening was people farmed it in huge zergs that couldn't be touched and the carebears ended up getting high PVP levels just from collecting the rocks rather than actually fighting, so the PVP crowd poured scorn on it.

Guess it was kind of cool for casual PvPers who wanted a good PVP level to compete in mini-games, but it drove the purists beserk :p

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by CyanSword

Originally posted by Daffid011

It was a feature added to the Border Kingdoms open PVP area. Basically you mined rocks and brought them to an altar for 'sacrifice' and in theory anyone could stop you (the rocks could be looted if you were killed), but what ended up happening was people farmed it in huge zergs that couldn't be touched and the carebears ended up getting high PVP levels just from collecting the rocks rather than actually fighting, so the PVP crowd poured scorn on it.

Guess it was kind of cool for casual PvPers who wanted a good PVP level to compete in mini-games, but it drove the purists beserk :p

I don't know which casual PVPers were benefitting from this, as it was the same groups of people camping the altars for days on end. Casuals couldnt touch the damn things without getting immediately railed.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I have to admit, the thought of a full PVP server with it's own ruleset is tempting.  If you get in on the ground floor you won't be subjected to high levels ganking you because there won't be any yet.  It could be a completely chaotic free for all fun fest!  It could also be an endless gankfest where players camp rez pads and entrances or exits to cities and you can't go anywhere without ten friends and hope to survive.

I am keeping my eye on the new server, but I am not entirely convinced it will be more than an excuse for endless ganking and griefing.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

Arent they appllying rules that issue penalties to higher leveled players who hunt/kill lower levels?  I thought i had read that somewhere, but could be mistaken.

I have been looking around trying to figure that out, myself.  I let my AoC account expire so I can't ask on the official forums, but it is something that I am looking into.  If they do implement the murder system, I am not sure how effective it will be at preventing lowbie ganking.  As I recall the guards will attack you if you are a murderer, but there won't be guards on the new server.  If that is the case, what is to prevent 80s from camping lowbies all day every day?  Nothing?  Will you have to scurry amongst the shadows like a little mouse and pray you are not noticed til you are high level?  That doesn't sound like much fun.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

There are no level 80's. Everyone starts at level 1. Once the server is mature, just call in level 80's to kill the level 80 that is camping eh?

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by CallsignVega

There are no level 80's. Everyone starts at level 1. Once the server is mature, just call in level 80's to kill the level 80 that is camping eh?

That has never worked in any game... ever.  There is a reason Trammel was designed.... and there is a reason why every pvp game has city guards.   First off, it is not fun being that level 1 having to call lvl 80s to help you.  There is also the issue of ´who do you call and how´.... do you have to join a guild before rolling a character?.... and then there is ´why would a lvl 80 help you?'

But the bigger problem is is that these type of servers end up with a guild who dominates..   who is going to respond to that lvl 1 getting ganked when it is a guild of 20 lvl 80s that is the ones ganking?

This is a PR stunt by Funcom.. anyone who has ever played a MMO before knows these type of servers are always empty after the first month.

• CollaborCollabor Member UncommonPosts: 37

has there  been a release date when this will occur? when will the server go live?

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by Azrile

That has never worked in any game... ever.  There is a reason Trammel was designed.... and there is a reason why every pvp game has city guards.   First off, it is not fun being that level 1 having to call lvl 80s to help you.  There is also the issue of ´who do you call and how´.... do you have to join a guild before rolling a character?.... and then there is ´why would a lvl 80 help you?'

But the bigger problem is is that these type of servers end up with a guild who dominates..   who is going to respond to that lvl 1 getting ganked when it is a guild of 20 lvl 80s that is the ones ganking?

This is a PR stunt by Funcom.. anyone who has ever played a MMO before knows these type of servers are always empty after the first month.

What part of the "everyone starts at level 1" did you miss?

I have always played on the hardcore PvP servers of many MMORPGs. I have never seen 20 top level characters camping a low level player spawn. Do you know how boring that would be? People over dramatise everything these days. 

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

How much you yourself apparently hate/dislike AoC for whatever personal reason, everyone who joins that server knows what they're in for. Other MMO's like Darkfall and UO used sortlike mechanics that a lot of MMO gamers enjoyed, and there's a reason that there's a large core who liked UO better pre-Trammel than afterwards.

We'll see how things develop, but the mere fact that such a server option is being offered is pretty neat in itself.

Well, for everyone who doesn't hate AoC or FC so much for whatever reason that they want to see everything AoC/FC related in a biased negative light, that is.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I dont think that doubt about the success of this sort of servers has something to do with disbelief toward FC.

I applaud FC that they dare to do it and i wish them nothing less than a healthy server population on Brood & Gory...

I am very curious to see how it works out.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Wow! I am extremely impressed!

This is is hyping me quite up; almost like it's a themepark version of "Darkfall Online" to me. Finally we are getting a themepark that tries to break out of the box.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• neobamboomneobamboom Member Posts: 50

What part of the "everyone starts at level 1" did you miss?

I have always played on the hardcore PvP servers of many MMORPGs. I have never seen 20 top level characters camping a low level player spawn. Do you know how boring that would be? People over dramatise everything these days. 

{mod edit}

Yes, everyone starts off at level one, so the first wave of players won't have to deal with much ganking, but after a month all those level ones will be level eighty. As a result... the second wave of players will have to deal with the endless ganking done by the first wave of characters resulting in them (second wave) /ragequiting, which will prevent the community from growing and instead slowly diminish.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Not neccesarily as this server will only allow us to have ONE toon each account.

Many lowbie gankers are just doing it becuase it has few ifn one consequence. Now, you all will now who these people are, which will make them quite unpopular the day the lowbie will be level 80 and will get his revenge.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by chrisel

Not neccesarily as this server will only allow us to have ONE toon each account.

Many lowbie gankers are just doing it becuase it has few ifn one consequence. Now, you all will now who these people are, which will make them quite unpopular the day the lowbie will be level 80 and will get his revenge.

SP in UO also limited you to one character.  But it still had major problems with camping.   There are very limited places where low level characters can quest, it takes NOTHING for high level characters to block any type of progression after the first week the server launches and that first batch of players is leveled up.

But you guys have been right about everything else related to AOC.   When that first pvp patch came a few months after launch, everyone said how incredible it sounded, but those of us that had played other games knew exactly what would happen because it was the same system as other games had.  The devs of AOC are failing to learn from history.. they keep doing things that failed completely in other games.  SP  was always the lowest population server in UO.  There were a couple dozen players at max level, and then everyone else had a character that never made it out of Brit.

SP  was always the lowest population server in UO.  There were a couple dozen players at max level, and then everyone else had a character that never made it out of Brit.

Of course SP would be the lowest population server, after all yuo're catering to a gameplay style that maybe only 10 % or so of MMO gamers likes. That's why I find it commendable when an MMO company creates different types of servers than the usual ones, to me I'd like all MMO companies to offer a wide range of variety of server types.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

Don't like it, don't play it. Can't handle it, stick to the regular servers. I personally enjoy the challenge of FFA PVP with risk, and never have had any real issues with griefing/camping (and have played numerous FFA games), but then again I adapt and play smart.

DF has/had around 20,000 subs, not bad for a empty, lifeless game full of bugs eh? Now consider how niche it is, how indi it is.. etc.. UO also had around 200k subs pre-tram. EVE has what, 300k now?

Any please tell me why VG merged their TEAM PVP rulesets into their FFA rulesets, and why Darktide in AC1 (which had not city guards btw) is not only still running 12 years later, but is now their most popular server. Not bad considering it was supposedly empty more than 11 years ago.

Originally posted by osc8r

DF has around 20,000 subs, not bad for a empty, lifeless game full of bugs eh? Now consider how niche it is, how indi it is.. etc.. UO also had around 200k subs pre-tram. EVE has what, 300k now?

? Do you maybe have a quote or source of that? I'm not saying that you're wrong, but reading about the complaints that some people had regarding population I myself thought it was less than 20k.

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by osc8r

DF has around 20,000 subs, not bad for a empty, lifeless game full of bugs eh? Now consider how niche it is, how indi it is.. etc.. UO also had around 200k subs pre-tram. EVE has what, 300k now?

? Do you maybe have a quote or source of that? I'm not saying that you're wrong, but reading about the complaints that some people had regarding population I myself thought it was less than 20k.

Sure:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/259666/DarkFall-Counts-for-both-Servers.html

There are several other sites/sources referenced through the thread (and google) that came up with similar figures.

To those who keep trying to dismiss concern with griefing/camping of lowbies by saying that everyone starts out at level 1, that does not change much.  It just means the only people that will not have to deal with that are people that are right there at the very beginning and level just as fast as the guys who live in their parent's basement.  The rest of us who have families and jobs or just don't play all day every day will have to take that into consideration.

PVP in MMOs is my thing, but for a game to have truly decent PVP there has to be safeguards in place to prevent the kind of putrid sewage that some players consider PVP from spewing forth and ruining the game for everyone else.  That is, lowbie ganking, griefing, camping, blocking lower levels from advancing, etc.  Just like if we had no laws at all, some people would go around stabbing others in the face for fun, you need a basic system that prevents the most egregious acts of abuse from chasing everyone away but the most sadistic.

If there is not going to be any system of controls in place at all, at least we will be prepared and know what to expect when we skulk forth into the darkness.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC