Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: E3 2011 Awards

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the completion of last week's E3 convention in Los Angeles, and with a weekend under their collective belt, the MMORPG.com team has put their heads together to hand out the E3 2011 Awards. See if your favorite game made the cut and then let us know what you think.

Check out the full list of the MMORPG.com E3 2011 Awards.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

I am not sure about Defiance, knowing not too much about it other than what I have gleaned here.

But, if a game can bring consoles and pcs together in the same persistent world...*and* do it well (that is a big if) that is a huge win.

That said, I have my doubts about how well they can be integrated without one side or the other suffering horribly, especially with regards to any pvp.

• correct me if i'm wrong, but from what i understand about Defiance, when the game is live, you won't play with people playing on different systems.  so ps3 players play with ps3 players, xbox with xbox and pc with pc. so wvwn though thats what the demo was showing that won't be how it is at luanch.  at least that is what i had heard.

• FTLNewsFeedFTLNewsFeed Member Posts: 6

Am I being punk'd here??!?

Lord of the Rings: Rise of Isengard Best Expansion of E3??

Considering that we have NO gameplay, NO screenshots, NO alpha, NO beta, ONLY a release date and the promise that they're working on it and it wins for "Best Expansion"...

You can't be serious?? 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Well without seeing Defiance at E3 it is hard to even debate wether it was the best mmo at E3. I guess we'll see! :)

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

SW:ToR winning most anticipated at E3 for MMOs was almost a given. So i'm not surprised on that one.

As for what i am surprised about is this

as companions join your crew to give you quests as you go. Turbine is really pushing the story aspect here for LOTRO and giving players the ability to make a difference in Middle Earth.

Now everyone knows i'm a Bioware fan, so it makes me a bit curious that before now most of these games (i do know LOTRO is a story based game) that now so many games seem to be incorperating features that are common in Bioware games. IE branching stories, comapnions that also give quests.  It just seems interestsing and gives me a smirk. Good to see story is still viable in MMOs.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Its sad that action combat seems to be the next big thing.

Action combat opposites anything a rpg revolves around.

At best you get action adventures, at worst APB.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by Blutmaul

Its sad that action combat seems to be the next big thing.

Action combat opposites anything a rpg revolves around.

At best you get action adventures, at worst APB.

Some people like interaction in videogames :) If you don't theres always bioware games :P

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Originally posted by FTLNewsFeed

Considering that we have NO gameplay, NO screenshots, NO alpha, NO beta, ONLY a release date and the promise that they're working on it and it wins for "Best Expansion"...

You can't be serious?? 

Were there any other MMO expensions even at E3?   LOTRO may have just been 'awarded' by default.

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• ShallakShallak Member Posts: 8

I'd like to know more before making judgement on Defiance. I'll keep an eye on it.

SW:ToR is a game I've been waiting for since the first mention of the game. I am eagerly wainting it's release, especially since it seems to have EVERYTHING I like in a MMORPG. Time will see if my personnal hype is met with equal rewards.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

I agree with the Defiance pick. I woke up the morning of E3 knowing little about it and really interested in DUST 514. Now Defiance sounds like a day one purchase with Dust 514 being a pass.

Interesting what exclusivity and reveals do to games' hype in a short time span.

• stupar123stupar123 Member Posts: 11

I don't know much of Defiance,but LOTR is much better in my opinion.

ps:they should have added Skyrm even though it isn't MMO xD

• happyfartshappyfarts Member UncommonPosts: 94

dunno about the others ...

but Dust 514 totally deserves most innovative!

CCP are trying to expand the level of depth of the EvE universe to mind boggling levels! The space commanders in their ships will soon walk the station which will add to the immersion (this field attracts more serious and calculating), while on the other hand on planetside there'll be the trigger happy thugs on the ground level getting their hands dirty

I sincerely hope that in Dust 514 a player can choose to either fight random fights for random corporations or join an EvE corporation and only fight for them (or for neutral/ally coporations when no work's available)

Would even be ineteresting if Dust players could form separate solely merecenary groups, independent from EvE corporations and hire themselves out to the higherst bidder.

I really look forward to seeing them delve in this cross-platform cross-genre approach. The concept fascinates me! And I wish them the very best of success. I'm curious to see how much further they can push the boundaries

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

So far the MMOs that focus on more action based combat have been failures.  And TERA isnt doing so well itself, so I would temper expectations on that.

"The game play and combat move incredibly fast for an MMO and players will enjoy the quick combat in the game."

There should be a 'some' before players.  TERA wont revolutionize combat at all.  It will likely be a niche game and its HIGHLY doubtful it will make a big splash against SWTOR and GW2

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

Whole list is trash     and the PVP award how can a mini game win best PVP award how?????  I am and have been looking forward and still am to dragonnest like i have for 2 years but mini game pvp should not win pvp award. 

• milkpuddingmilkpudding Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by Naral

I am not sure about Defiance, knowing not too much about it other than what I have gleaned here.

But, if a game can bring consoles and pcs together in the same persistent world...*and* do it well (that is a big if) that is a huge win.

That said, I have my doubts about how well they can be integrated without one side or the other suffering horribly, especially with regards to any pvp.

Me too. They should have added a line saying that it's a great game IF you have NEVER played any major MMOs out there.

• ReinRein Member UncommonPosts: 45

So... Best game of E3 isn't even on MMORPG.com's game list? How does that happen?

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Defiance by Trion, huh? They are already moving on to new MMOs after Rifts only been out a few months?

I really hope Trion doesn't become another Funcom, spitting out medicore/incomplete MMOs every couple of years. They did a commendable job with Rift, but it's clear Rift is plateauing in a hurry... and a clear reason why is a lack of communication/decent content.

Now, I sorta see why.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

So, the best of show is basically a multi-platform Tabula Rasa??

Most of these games look like they are trying to pull in the COD / Battlefield players, and are throwing "real" MMORPG players to the dogs.

Might just be me......but I don't think so.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

So, the best of show is basically a multi-platform Tabula Rasa??

Most of these games look like they are trying to pull in the COD / Battlefield players, and are throwing "real" MMORPG players to the dogs.

Might just be me......but I don't think so.

What's your definition of a 'real' MMORPG player? WoW players like 8 year olds or 45 year old housewives?

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by milkpudding

Originally posted by Naral

Me too. They should have added a line saying that it's a great game IF you have NEVER played any major MMOs out there.

And you for a fact played Defiance to know anything about it?

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by FTLNewsFeed

You can't be serious?? 

That tells you how bad all the other expansion are this E3.

:D

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Originally posted by stupar123

I don't know much of Defiance,but LOTR is much better in my opinion.

ps:they should have added Skyrm even though it isn't MMO xD

Are you serious?

You don't know anything about the game, but you say another game is better? Thats absurd.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Don't get things mixed up.  Trion is a company.  Within the company they have multiple teams.  The people working Rift won't be working on End of Nations or Defiance.  Well the majority of the teams,  some of the less time consuming parts of the team might pull double or triple duty.  Defiance actually sounds awesome.  I know why people are suspicious of it, since DCUO promised the exact same thing, but what we got was xbox servers full of people, ps3 servers full of people (not so much now since the game was down for almost a month), and PC servers which are empty.  However with Defiance they're going to get all 3 to play on the same server.  They're not the only ones to do this.  FFXI had PS2 and PC playing together, and it worked very well.  Some would say that the UI in FFXI was clearly for the PS2 (the graphics too), but it was pretty easy to operate on PC too.  So it's doable.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I am not gonna lie, Dust and the concept and implications behind it are getting me pretty excited.

However, I have to say that a the dropship feels a lot like the ones from the Star Wars Prequel and that tank is alot like Halo's Scorpion. Not saying its a direct copy, but i can tell what the concept artists were doing with their freetime while they were working this gig lol

I can't wait to see this game in action, particularly how it will effect EVE....and its 43,000+ plants.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature