Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So...whats happening here?

jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

It's been a loong time since I heard news about the NA version. could someone fill me in on whats happening?

They mentioned the political system at e3, but that was old news. Then they said they were done with westernization of 1-58 story(or something) but still no cbt announcement? This game is losing steam fast...

Westernization can't really take this long can it? Any news?

Comments

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Im hoping it's at least out before swtor. Doesn't seem smart to try and release around swtor and compete with that, or even after and have to compete with gw2

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Is it tanking?  That might be a real bad sign.  Only thing that got my interest in this game was the focus on action and movement the rest of it errr... 

But yeah this is losing steam, it is almost entirely off my radar now because of the lack of new info that I've seen.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

From what I can tell EME does not care about when other games release or if it coincides with there release.  As far as CB & OB,  they will announce it when they are ready and not when the community is ready I guess.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• echose7enechose7en Member UncommonPosts: 55

Yeah they are doing thier second round of server merges aparently.

Originally posted by jadedlevir

Im hoping it's at least out before swtor. Doesn't seem smart to try and release around swtor and compete with that, or even after and have to compete with gw2

I see it as confidence in your product because when it's all said and done it all boils down to whether a game is good or not.  Hype & release schedule can only carry you so far.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Originally posted by echose7en

Yeah they are doing thier second round of server merges aparently.

Yeah but I heard it was merging to something like 15 servers from 35? It isn't necessarily losing steam, it's just not doing as well as they had hoped. 15 packed servers on an MMO would be doing AMAZING in the US/EU.

• IngeKyIngeKy Member Posts: 47

Yeah it's taking them forever to give us some information.

Maybe they don't know how to add quests and story to a MMO. It surely can't take that long.

What I don't understand is that if they knew they were going to make a NA version why weren't they working on it from the beginning.

Meh, I'm excpecting it to flop. We'll see.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by stayontarget

I see it as confidence in your product because when it's all said and done it all boils down to whether a game is good or not.  Hype & release schedule can only carry you so far.

Badly planned release can easy kill game, IMO if TERA's release in west will collide with either GW2 or TOR it will fail . Confidence in your product means nothing if your customers dont share it . Many undecided might give TERA chance if they manage to release it before GW2 or TOR, and still it will be tough enough for them after relaese of GW2 and TOR.

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236

Originally posted by Malevil

Badly planned release can easy kill game, IMO if TERA's release in west will collide with either GW2 or TOR it will fail . Confidence in your product means nothing if your customers dont share it . Many undecided might give TERA chance if they manage to release it before GW2 or TOR, and still it will be tough enough for them after relaese of GW2 and TOR.

agreed, ive always been interested in tera but if it comes even remotely close to gw2 release i wont even touch it

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I dont think a release date determines if a game fails or not. If the game is good people will play it. Plain and simple

The real competition Tera will face is Star Wars because both are Pay To Pay. Guild Wars 2  is a non sub game so its going to have great box sales regardless especially that the game already is widely known from the orginal Guild Wars. When it comes to Pay To Play mmos they are an investment and you have to decide afther the first month is the game worth it to continue. You dont have to do this with Guild Wars 2. I already know I will buy Guild Wars 2 but it will be my side MMO. Tera is going through a little trouble in Korea but for some strange reason I really believe it will be the total opposite here in the West. As long as when they release the game here everything is fixed and working the way it should.

• NakruleNakrule Member Posts: 1

The games been out for months in Korea now, the core game's there (kinda), EME is just tweaking everything to make the game as enjoyable as possible for a Western audience. Regardless, TERA will hit beta prior to both SWTOR and GW2 which will draw many players in.

• The_QuesterThe_Quester Member Posts: 80
    How is the game tanking?
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Releasing early to beat a competing MMO to launch has led to the down fall or more than a few MMOs.

I hope Enmasse Entertainment ignores comments like yours and releases Tera ONLY when it is ready.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

another top of the line graphics.... failure

It's sad because I, my guild and many forum goers here were looking forward to it ... but it's flopping in Korea... seeing the quality of poop that comes from there, How bad can this game be?

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

Originally posted by The_Quester

How is the game tanking?

they have done 2 server merges since launch... they have just over 10 severs left. Games has only been out a mere months even rift has managed to keep 38 servers after a couple months.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• ChackzChackz Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by IngeKy

Yeah it's taking them forever to give us some information.

Maybe they don't know how to add quests and story to a MMO. It surely can't take that long.

What I don't understand is that if they knew they were going to make a NA version why weren't they working on it from the beginning.

Meh, I'm excpecting it to flop. We'll see.

if your expecting it to flop, then for you, it will infact fail...

gameover

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Malevil

I agree. One reason for EQ 2 flopping was because most people, interested in themeparks, were playing WoW.

That being said, I dont see many similarities between TERA and SW:TOR. Except the obvious, which is that both games are Themeparks. But TERA has extensive PvP, political system etc, where as SW:TOR has not released much info about the PvP which leads me to believe that it will mostly be based on instanced battleground type.

I for one wont be even trying SW:TOR, however I am interested in TERA, mostly because of the PvP, political system and innovative combat system.

But still, releasing on or after SW:TOR will hurt their initial sales. But MMORPGs should be about longetivity and not initial box sales so if the game is good, then people will stick around which is what matters at the end.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Tailz2k7

How is the game tanking?

they have done 2 server merges since launch... they have just over 10 severs left. Games has only been out a mere months even rift has managed to keep 38 servers after a couple months.

Last time I checked, 15 is not considered just over 10, unless you also consider it just under 20. Also, "couple" equals two months and Rift has been out for over 4 months.

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

How is the game tanking?

The US alone has 6 times the population of South Korea. Comparing server numbers between different games and different regions is useless.

Originally posted by Yamota

How is the game tanking?

Last time I checked, 15 is not considered just over 10, unless you also consider it just under 20. Also, "couple" equals two months and Rift has been out for over 4 months.

so while defending, you insult it by admitting it tanked in half the time? Don't know about any of you but i've actually played the game, and was not impressed in the least... hence why I wasn't surprised when I found out it tanked in Korea.

Originally posted by bygeorge

How is the game tanking?

The US alone has 6 times the population of South Korea. Comparing server numbers between different games and different regions is useless.

Korea has 6 times the number of people who spend their free time playing MMO's 

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by bygeorge

How is the game tanking?

Korea has 6 times the number of people who spend their free time playing MMO's 

I find it hard to believe that there are more people playing mmo's in korea than the total population.

"Consumer data from Today's Gamers MMO Focus Report by Gamesindustry.com and TNS indicates that the number of MMO players in the U.S. has reached 46 million"

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27581/Study_US_Gamers_Spent_38_Billion_On_MMOs_in_2009.php

Population of South Korea: 48,754,657 (July 2011 est.)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ks.html

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

They definaetly gonna get pretty bad hit if they try to release tera when big games lik TOR,GW 2 and other things come around. I expected them to be out in Q2 2011 but they already failed that date.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Originally posted by Mannish

I dont think a release date determines if a game fails or not. If the game is good people will play it. Plain and simple

The real competition Tera will face is Star Wars because both are Pay To Pay. Guild Wars 2  is a non sub game so its going to have great box sales regardless especially that the game already is widely known from the orginal Guild Wars. When it comes to Pay To Play mmos they are an investment and you have to decide afther the first month is the game worth it to continue. You dont have to do this with Guild Wars 2. I already know I will buy Guild Wars 2 but it will be my side MMO. Tera is going through a little trouble in Korea but for some strange reason I really believe it will be the total opposite here in the West. As long as when they release the game here everything is fixed and working the way it should.

I never understand this logic. Why people dismiss GW2 as competition everytime only because it is B2P? infact i consider it as a bigger threat because if people get a good quality B2P game with lots of content they will drop all other subs. Who doesn't like to save money even if it is only 15 bucks a month? so yes TERA has all the reasons to be worried if they release it anywhere close to GW2 release. 

Even if we ignore the 15 bucks a month argument if GW2 is as good as it is being hyped, players would stick to it instead of hopping around in 2 or more MMOS.

Originally posted by Getalife

I never understand this logic. Why people dismiss GW2 as competition everytime only because it is B2P? infact i consider it as a bigger threat because if people get a good quality B2P game with lots of content they will drop all other subs. Who doesn't like to save money even if it is only 15 bucks a month? so yes TERA has all the reasons to be worried if they release it anywhere close to GW2 release. 

Even if we ignore the 15 bucks a month argument if GW2 is as good as it is being hyped, players would stick to it instead of hopping around in 2 or more MMOS.

I think it's because like most people I have a ton of games on my computer right now and most of them are b2p.  I can afford to buy / play one time only games and still buy / play a sub game.  GW2 is an mmo but its also priced like a SP game,  a game that you don't have to play non-stop or invest all your time into.  Once you buy it the game will always be there, and as an avid gamer I like to play lots of games and hardly ever focus on just one game only.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Originally posted by Getalife

I think it's because like most people I have a ton of games on my computer right now and most of them are b2p.  I can afford to buy / play one time only games and still buy / play a sub game.  GW2 is an mmo but its also priced like a SP game,  a game that you don't have to play non-stop or invest all your time into.  Once you buy it the game will always be there, and as an avid gamer I like to play lots of games and hardly ever focus on just one game only.

That is where you are wrong because even if GW2 is priced as a single player game in gameplay it is a complete MMO. So why do you think players won't play it non stop or invest lots of time into it? what makes monthly sub MMOS so special that only they warrant lots of time investment? like i said people make their own logics to suit their arguments. In my opinion if a good B2P MMO is released which rivals any P2P MMO in terms of content and quality i see no reason why majority wouldn't want to stick to B2P MMO instead of paying 15 bucks a month for another.