Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arrgghhh - I can't believe I'm back here

Seriously - I don't understand it....

I haven't played SWG for at least 4 years now buit like a moth to the flame I am drawn back....

I get annoyed at adverts for games on the television (Hey Kids - Wanna know what Grandpa did before the Internet...) saying "not game content"

Jeez - Why am I here - Do I want my game back ???

Or is this the last Hurrah before we all think of something different to do ???

Comments

• JeyhuJeyhu Member UncommonPosts: 90

I'll answer for you:

You have issues with letting go and moving on.  That's it.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Jeyhu

I'll answer for you:

You have issues with letting go and moving on.  That's it.

One could say that issues with letting go and moving on are the entire reason that this particular subforum exists.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• Silky303Silky303 Member Posts: 134

Any thread I ever see relating to SWG gets the old fires reigniting inside me

I left in 2007 and not a week goes by when I don't lament for what was lost  

SWG > Aces High > WWIIOL

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

It puzzles me as to why TOR gets so much publicity and SWG gets the cold shoulder, especially by Lucasfilm.

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

Originally posted by nyxium

It puzzles me as to why TOR gets so much publicity and SWG gets the cold shoulder, especially by Lucasfilm.

I'm honestly interested in examples of Lucasfilms publicizing TOR, not gaming magazines, or websites, but Lucasfilms specifically. I guess for arguments sake we can pretend that one game hasn't been out 7 years and another is still beta testing. We can also pretend that they aren't being developed by completely different companies. I'm just interested in examples of Lucasfilms promoting TOR. I'm sure you won't tell me to find the examples myself (since I'm not the one asserting they exist) and that this isn't motivated by some sort of "hater" mentality.

• TriageTriage Member UncommonPosts: 11

Take this as you will but I am in the TOR beta and was a major player in SWG.  

SWG had wayyyyy more potential.  It truly was an open world with opportunity to do whatever you wanted.  Sure it had its balancing issues, bugs and other problems that ultimately lead to the mass exodus by its players but its more of an MMO than TOR will ever be.

I play TOR for about four hours before I became bored.  For several more days I played hoping it would break the banal game play that MMOs are becoming famous for, it did not.  The only unique aspect to this game is the only thing Bioware has really talked about, fully voiced dialogue, which I HATE!  

I play MMOs for the story the players make. Not what some company has made. I want to level quickly and go out and kill players.  Build cities and then destroy others work.  Not listen to some droid complain to me that he is rusting and needs to be repaired.  Its time consuming and BORING.

I miss SWG also, especially after seeing another company using the same boring tactics as all the other MMOs out there.  SWG was unique, it was under developed but it was one hell of an opportunity.

#note: I don't care about the NDA. I know the game is not finished. I'm a veteran of MMOs. I get into every beta I want. I know what is good and I know what is bad. TOR will disappoint. They are focusing on wrong aspects that make MMOs great, nuff said.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Triage

Take this as you will but I am in the TOR beta and was a major player in SWG.  

SWG had wayyyyy more potential.  It truly was an open world with opportunity to do whatever you wanted.  Sure it had its balancing issues, bugs and other problems that ultimately lead to the mass exodus by its players but its more of an MMO than TOR will ever be.

I play TOR for about four hours before I became bored.  For several more days I played hoping it would break the banal game play that MMOs are becoming famous for, it did not.  The only unique aspect to this game is the only thing Bioware has really talked about, fully voiced dialogue, which I HATE!  

I play MMOs for the story the players make. Not what some company has made. I want to level quickly and go out and kill players.  Build cities and then destroy others work.  Not listen to some droid complain to me that he is rusting and needs to be repaired.  Its time consuming and BORING.

I miss SWG also, especially after seeing another company using the same boring tactics as all the other MMOs out there.  SWG was unique, it was under developed but it was one hell of an opportunity.

#note: I don't care about the NDA. I know the game is not finished. I'm a veteran of MMOs. I get into every beta I want. I know what is good and I know what is bad. TOR will disappoint. They are focusing on wrong aspects that make MMOs great, nuff said.

It's sort of a self fullfiling prophesy isn't it.

You are playing a game which has a main feature that you hate.

As a matter of fact you tout the "player made stories" (which i have yet to see a player actually tell me what story they are actualy making as that usually falls to role players. Anything else usually falls under "anecdotes") and are playing a game that has a full on developer made story.

I just don't understand why it's surprising that you wouldn't like SWToR.

SWG and SWToR are two totally different games that only share the IP.

And SWToR will only dissapoint if one "full on" wants a completely different game.

I went to see Midnight in Paris last night. You dont' see me complaining that the action sequences were horrendous and that there was too much dialogue.

I would be hard pressed to say that "Midnight in Paris" will dissapoint becuase it focused on the wrong things.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

You would have thought after DCUO they wouldn't make such a big deal about the voice overs. They are pretty cool for the 1st run through but after that you just skip them.

I was tempted to go back myself as I have 45 days but when the game started, I only got unmetered access just as the NGE hit so I really missed all the good bits. Post NGE is all I know but it's so obvious that it was laid over the bones of a much more open system. Occasionally you can still see them poking through and it makes me sad.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.