Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Convince me to play Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by elocke

Please don't flame me.  I must be one of a very small percentage of people who just doesn't "get" the hype or excitement over the Elder Scrolls games.  I've played the beginning of Morrowind and the beginning of Oblivion and it just felt boring to me.  Now, before you all get in a huff, I'm just asking politely for different perspectives on this.  I WANT to like the games because I am a huge RPG fan.  I grew up playing Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Forgotten Realms games on PC, Bards Tale on PC, early Ultima games, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale(my favs) and so on.  These newest RPGs, for the life of me, if they aren't MMORPGs I have a really tough time getting into them.

So if anyone has ANY advice or ways to change my perspective, or how to approach the games, please share.  Thanks.

These games offer 1 main thing, immersion, but to get the payout you got to invest time and focus on the game.  Doesnt suit everybody, and is part of the evolution of rpg.  Try playing Bards tale etc now, they are still fun, but they are no longer immersive as we have moved on.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• SizzzSizzz Member Posts: 61

Oblivion was the best single player game I have played, however it does include abstract ideas and art direction in some places which can hamper the immersion. The character / world level scaling denies character progression. The main quest line switches between comical and "havent i heard this before" most of the time. Which is posibly why you did not enjoy it.

But the world it offers out side of the main quest is not only 100 times bigger, its almost always more intresting, immersive, funny.. i could go on. But 5 hours would have not let you touch on that in any significant way. So first of all I wont convice you to play skyrim, only urge that you spend more time playing oblivion. If you miss out on what that as a game has to offer then you have lost out as a gamer, probably more than what you would from not playing skyrim.

Skyrim will be better than oblivion, it advances  and builds upon what Oblivion is. Its art direction will give greater immersion. The engine advances alone will be worth ticket price (on the PC once modded)

But.

Right now? I can't tell you now Skyrim will be better than Nehrim.

http://www.nehrim.de/indexEV.html

Nehrim is a complete conversion for Oblivion, its a game (bigger than oblivion) not a mod.

It is the best single player game ever. I dont care what anyone says about 1/2 life, system shock 2, ocarina of time, Nehrim is the best.

It has improvments to graphics which will approch those of Skyrim, but its world terrain i feel exeeds what i have seen of the console version of Skyrim so far.

I would like to promote this game better to you, but it is beyond me, its too good. I just urge you to play it.

Oh I forgot, the game has english subtitles, but German voice acting. I know this may seam off putting but i didnt rearly notice it ingame LOL, and only remembered now when i checked the website.

• Clypto75Clypto75 Member UncommonPosts: 70

Loved Morrowind tons, played the hell out of that game! Oblivion, not so much. Idk if it just didnt live up to my expections or because it wasnt Morrowind 2. I just felt like everything was very lackluster excluding the graphics. Dungeons meh, no special loot, everything smooshed south of the map, nothing in the north area mostly... I mean yea, I like a open world but there was just.. so much that could of been done with that!

Lots of people liked Oblivion so I guess Im one of the few who didnt. I can tell you that I probably will not purchase Skyrim until I see alot of information on it. If its anything like Oblivion I wont bother, but I havent even been following it and checking on information like I did with Oblivion for a year or two.

You know what Im really wanting to play... Diablo 3 and I give no !*@&; who knows it! Also, thanks Sizzz. Im downloading Nehrim atm, never even knew bout it! Looks fun, cant wait to check it out and give some feedback on it.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Fair enough, BUT, I truly think "enjoyment" lies in perception and mindset.  So how do I change my mindset when I fire up Oblivion in order to not be put off by being thrust into the world and no true set patch given to me.  I mean, I enjoyed SWG at launch immensely and their wasn't a ton of direction in that game, so I CAN adapt to the game if it pulls me in enough or if my mindset is in the right spot.  My other favorite MMO where it's a bit open ended on how to go about things is FFXI.  I loved metagaming in that, researching all the things I could do and then getting into the game and having a blast persuing very hard goals that the game hardly hand holds you through, if at all.

I'm loving the answers in this thread, by the way.  Thanks all for being polite and understanding, even those who were walk the line between flaming and not, hehe.

Well the thing with games where paths are not pre-defined, is that you have to be the one to define those paths yourself. Basically asking yourself what goals do you want to reach? What do you want to do today?  So for exemple, I start up Oblivion and decide today that I want to focus on the Mage's Guild. Yesterday I was just hunting for materials and completing small quests at the same time to level up my alchemy skill. Tomorrow I could just focus on exploring, finding books and do some reading in-game, might as well break into a few houses, steal everything while we're at it. I could also load up a new Mod to enhance certain areas where the game may be lacking (Bethesda provides players with tools to make their own mods). So perhaps I could just load up say Blood&Mud and clear the storyline, or develop my characters to accomplish the story being Midas Magic Compedium mod and unlock new spells. 

But for a new player, who knows less about the game, you could just set your goals to complete the main storyline (which you have access to from the get-go) or join any of the 4 factions, or all 4 of them (Fighter, Mage, Thief, Dark Brotherhood) and complete their storylines. Might as well enter the Arena. Clear a few side-quests on the way, close down the Oblivion Gates appearing all across Tamriel, etc. Lots of things to do, but you have to start the game with a goal in mind otherwise you'll just get lost, unsure of what to do and get bored/uninstall. It's the same for games like Minecraft (sandbox games), without goals you won't do much, but if you start the game with a goal in mind, you can pull some pretty amazing stuff.

Bethesda released DLC that is overpriced = horse armor

Bethesda (publisher) release DLC that is buggy/unplayable = dead money / honest hearts

Also most games that are released on consoles, that have a PC port are "dumbed down" not for the audiance, but for the hardware. Consoles are outdated tech with limitations on them which mean developers produce lower textures, have less objects, design the game to accomodate the crappy response times of consoles. Like look at the Skyrim videos <500m world object draw distance, of course you can whack upto 5 clicks on a PC, but the game world is DESIGNED to display its assets at the consoles limitations, so when you are playing on the PC its stripped out compared to what it would be.

Skyrim example;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU

1;03

Top right corner you see thier end game instance on the side of what i supose the designer intended to be a mountain, but to for the designer to be able to display that instance from when there character starts, the view range restriction of the console means the mountain has to be little more than hill or a mound of rocks.

11;11

Skyrims new big world, "this is the tundra, a big wide open grassland" dumb chick "woooooow"which looks the size of a couple of football pitches, less than 50 objects?, grass draws @10-20m.

Anyway its not rearly bethesda studio fault because they have to design to the hardware, but pc gamers do lose out because its not design to PC hardware. forntunatley most of the content is through thier dungeon generator, and because that doesnt require much in terms of hardware requirments you wont miss out that much overall. Although you never know what internal dungeon vistas you may miss out on because of the hard ware limitations.

Sorry for rant, Skyrim will still rock. you know it, I know it so w/e :D

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

The reason I continue to play TES series is that I never have to do the main quest if I dont want. Just recently I re-installed Oblivion and have played ~15 hours while only doing the first step of the main quest and that was only to get an item out of my inventory.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by Sizzz

Bethesda released DLC that is overpriced = horse armor

Bethesda (publisher) release DLC that is buggy/unplayable = dead money / honest hearts

Also most games that are released on consoles, that have a PC port are "dumbed down" not for the audiance, but for the hardware. Consoles are outdated tech with limitations on them which mean developers produce lower textures, have less objects, design the game to accomodate the crappy response times of consoles. Like look at the Skyrim videos <500m world object draw distance, of course you can whack upto 5 clicks on a PC, but the game world is DESIGNED to display its assets at the consoles limitations, so when you are playing on the PC its stripped out compared to what it would be.

Skyrim example;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU

1;03

Top right corner you see thier end game instance on the side of what i supose the designer intended to be a mountain, but to for the designer to be able to display that instance from when there character starts, the view range restriction of the console means the mountain has to be little more than hill or a mound of rocks.

11;11

Skyrims new big world, "this is the tundra, a big wide open grassland" dumb chick "woooooow"which looks the size of a couple of football pitches, less than 50 objects?, grass draws @10-20m.

Anyway its not rearly bethesda studio fault because they have to design to the hardware, but pc gamers do lose out because its not design to PC hardware. forntunatley most of the content is through thier dungeon generator, and because that doesnt require much in terms of hardware requirments you wont miss out that much overall. Although you never know what internal dungeon vistas you may miss out on because of the hard ware limitations.

Sorry for rant, Skyrim will still rock. you know it, I know it so w/e :D

None of the Skyrim dungeons are randomly generated.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Oblivion was the best single player game I have played, however it does include abstract ideas and art direction in some places which can hamper the immersion. The character / world level scaling denies character progression. The main quest line switches between comical and "havent i heard this before" most of the time. Which is posibly why you did not enjoy it.

But the world it offers out side of the main quest is not only 100 times bigger, its almost always more intresting, immersive, funny.. i could go on. But 5 hours would have not let you touch on that in any significant way. So first of all I wont convice you to play skyrim, only urge that you spend more time playing oblivion. If you miss out on what that as a game has to offer then you have lost out as a gamer, probably more than what you would from not playing skyrim.

Skyrim will be better than oblivion, it advances  and builds upon what Oblivion is. Its art direction will give greater immersion. The engine advances alone will be worth ticket price (on the PC once modded)

But.

Nehrim is a complete conversion for Oblivion, its a game (bigger than oblivion) not a mod.

It is the best single player game ever. I dont care what anyone says about 1/2 life, system shock 2, ocarina of time, Nehrim is the best.

It has improvments to graphics which will approch those of Skyrim, but its world terrain i feel exeeds what i have seen of the console version of Skyrim so far.

I would like to promote this game better to you, but it is beyond me, its too good. I just urge you to play it.

Oh I forgot, the game has english subtitles, but German voice acting. I know this may seam off putting but i didnt rearly notice it ingame LOL, and only remembered now when i checked the website.

Downloading now, I have not heard of this mod... 

Full Sail University - Game Design

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Please don't flame me.  I must be one of a very small percentage of people who just doesn't "get" the hype or excitement over the Elder Scrolls games.  I've played the beginning of Morrowind and the beginning of Oblivion and it just felt boring to me.  Now, before you all get in a huff, I'm just asking politely for different perspectives on this.  I WANT to like the games because I am a huge RPG fan.  I grew up playing Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Forgotten Realms games on PC, Bards Tale on PC, early Ultima games, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale(my favs) and so on.  These newest RPGs, for the life of me, if they aren't MMORPGs I have a really tough time getting into them.

So if anyone has ANY advice or ways to change my perspective, or how to approach the games, please share.  Thanks.

It has to do with our expiriences (biomata) mostly. When u grew up playing the games you mentioned its obvious and natural that some rpg's wont fir to your taste. Then again you mentioned as favourite of yours baldur's gate series whoch is one of the best rpgs ever made.

When i 1st saw daggerfall battlespire i was thrilled with atmosphere of the game. It had some archaic style atmosphere,demons were involved(daedras),it was huge in size,i was impressed with the huge variety of skills i could invest in the characters system.For me it would be natural to love it,and also like morrorwind ,oblivion and now skyrim.

But before them i was playing alot to the end, eye of the beholder series,black crypt in amiga,might and magic series ,bg series. Despice the fact most of these games had alot of dungeon crawling ,i always loved huge open worlds ,adventuring. Morrorwind had that,oblivion had that,maybe in smaller and worst doses but it also did and skyrim seems to do it as well.

Change your prespective for skyrim. The game is what it is and offers what it offers. Its either you like choises or not. If want to restricted and guided thats what u like. Watch out carefully though the kind of wife u ll marry mate. That advice is on the house.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Bainwalker

*snip*

But.

Downloading now, I have not heard of this mod... 

It's very much well worth the d/l and whirl.  It actually got mention in PC Gamer mag and this mod comes up in mention if you frequent any Oblivion mod sites / forums.  It totally changes the game, which is an immense feat and shows dedication for a mod team to do.

Edit to add:  As for Skyrim, like I said in my earlier post, I hate this recent bit of news.  I'll hold off and do a "We'll F***ing See" attitude.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

The big put-off for me is the - Its a console conversion to the pc- line. In my experiance, so far there has yet to be a decent console conversion to pc title released, yes they may have been good to play on a console, but absolutly crap for the pc conversion.

I will hold off and wait, see what the verdict is and how it plays. If it feels like a console play and feels wrong on teh pc then i simply will not get it.

• Clypto75Clypto75 Member UncommonPosts: 70

I have downloaded it and been playing this mod like crazy. I am amazed at the world, the size, the detail, the quest and triggers.. If this keeps up then I will probably end up with more hours in this mod then Oblivion itself.

I would recommend this mod to anybody who just wants to play something new, love the Morrowind feel. Just got my first piece of a armor set as well in a dungeon, its nice to be able to go into dungeons and actually find decent loot!

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by Clypto75

I have downloaded it and been playing this mod like crazy. I am amazed at the world, the size, the detail, the quest and triggers.. If this keeps up then I will probably end up with more hours in this mod then Oblivion itself.

I would recommend this mod to anybody who just wants to play something new, love the Morrowind feel. Just got my first piece of a armor set as well in a dungeon, its nice to be able to go into dungeons and actually find decent loot!

Hmm i downloaded and playing now Nehrim. So far after i runned out from the mine i witnessed a huge forest mountainson the horizon but i noticed shoortly i cant explore anything nad im being guided via quest line strictly.

Is the whole game so much linear or after the first 3-4 quests in the camp minesite and siege by the mages i m free to go adventuring and explore freely the whole world map? just curious.

P.S. By the way Nehrim isnt exactly a mod. Its a full conversion. Has nothing to do with oblivion's story,new map new scenario, leveling system is more like the traditional xp system (kill enemies and ding quests reward u with xp points and has similarities with gothic lvling system where u earn learning points and invest them on trainers to lvl skills.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

just a few quest and you are free to roam. there is no fast travel, but you can buy teleportation spells from certain npc's in the towns, then buy the tele runes to use the spell. i am only level 5, and am really enjoying Nehrim. the team that made this went into great detail to deliver a free game with the TES4 tools.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Manestream

The big put-off for me is the - Its a console conversion to the pc- line. In my experiance, so far there has yet to be a decent console conversion to pc title released, yes they may have been good to play on a console, but absolutly crap for the pc conversion.

I will hold off and wait, see what the verdict is and how it plays. If it feels like a console play and feels wrong on teh pc then i simply will not get it.

Both Morrowind and Oblivion were as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

morrowind i could see getting frustrated and dropping it, i nearly did so myself, finding where you had to go for quests was a bitch.

oblivion was a much better experience, i loved oblivion, easily spent 250+ hours on various characters in that game.

if you just dont like the elder scrolls way of doing things odds are you wont like skyrim, its not breaking the mold its just giving us new elder scrolls stuff to play with.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

My opinion on the whole console vs PC thing is simple.  If the primary mechanic is a first person view into the gaming world, a console is a good platform.  Where consoles really fail are in top-down perspective (strategy games in particular) where point/clicking on the screen is important to efficiency.

But in a primarily 1st person experience, there are probably as many advantages to a console as there are disadvantages.

And before you jump down my throat with an anti-console rant, I love many PC-centric games.  Two of my top Five games of all time include Civ4+mods and Roguelikes (Stone Soup), which have really no equivalent on consoles.  But I've converted to consoles for FPS games over the past few years (kicking and screaming initially) and now think it superior in many ways.

It helps of course that I have an 80 inch 3D TV and booming 7.1 surround sound system in my sound proofed basement media room...

But back to the question on convincing someone to buy Skyrim, first convince them to release it and then I'll work on a reason to buy it...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

Here's an important question that needs answering if I am to help you.  How far did you get in Oblivion?  With that feedback I can attempt to see where you're coming from on the game. 

• Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323

Convince me to play Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Bethesda.

Done.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by gatheris

horse armor only a $1.99 - woohoo

doors (well, at least one door) that won't open in main game without DLC.................

I'll admit to being a fanboy, but can you give me any indication that they had horse armor done when they launched the game, or anounced they would have it before the game launched?  Also, its likely that they put the door there as a place holder to make sure there wouldnt be any mod makers putting anything in the middle of that large lake (I'm assuming your refering to the door to shivering isles).  Of course they need to plan ahead for what content will be added.

Not only that, but when shivering isles launched it was a large expansion and it included all the other dlcs released before it for free.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Where do you live? I have a few ways I can "convince" you, the more loved ones in the house at the time the better.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I thought i would answer once more because there is most important point that i forgot, which could get Skyrim legendary status in the years to come, beyond simply building upon what Oblivion attachieved.

Zenimax, who owns bethesda bought Arkane Stuidios, who did the single player component of Dark Messiah Might & Magic.

Dark Messiah single player, has the best combat system ever. Ever. Please try if you have not it is worth it.

In conjunction with the following and the e3 videos;

About Arkane® Studios

Founded in 1999, Arkane has offices located in Lyon, France and Austin, TX and has attracted diverse and talented developers with a passion for creating detailed, immersive worlds. Arkane is currently working on an unannounced title for Bethesda Softworks.

Other trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.

Now... for Skyrim to attain legendary status we need to assume the following to fullest degree;

• Arkane are working on Skyrim,

• with the role of lead combat design

• Arkane are working on the combat implementation for all the subtleties included in DM

• The engine upgrades in skyrim facilitate physics based gameplay design, that Arkane used in DM

• Arkane are allowed to design physics based gameplay to be used throughout Skyrim

• Rope bow

• Iced floors

• Arkanes use of the vertical dynamic within dungeon design

If the above turns out to be fact, you will have random people knocking on doors saying play Skyrim like Jehovah witness's

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

Any one with brain will be playing it ;)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Well, the first time I picked up morrowind I got past the initial tutorial to the "you are on your own" part. I then decided I had no time that day to be playign games so just wanted to swing my sword to see what it felt like.

I accidentally hit an npc and all hell broke loose and I died. I laughed and put the game away for several months.

I then came back to it and when I saw the "you are on your own good luck" I thought "ok, that's sort of interesting.

after doing some quests in the Seyda Neen area I decided to walk to Bamora to meet the "Caius whatever his name is" guy and while walking I saw, in the distance, somewhat hidden, a door.

I entered that door.

And that is what got me hooked.

Games like Morrowind or Oblvion shine if the player is wired to say "hey.. what's that over there" and then get lost in what he/she discovers.

If you are not that type of player then I would be hard pressed to say "play this game now or die!!!!"

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I'm going to make this short and sweet: the reason you should play The Elder Scrolls V- vikings.