Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Hardcore PvP Incoming

Comments

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Kabaal

To the people saying this is the way it should have been at launch...

It's almost exactly like it was at launch, the only difference is no guards and lame drops from the inventory. Premades were in the game for a long time until they were removed due to people whining about them, Bori was a ridiculous feature they added last year that let people gain pvp lvl's by gathering rocks (shouldn't have been added to the game in the first place). White Sands and The Underhalls were both open for pvp at launch until, again, they made them pve only due to whining. The removal of guards and boosted pvp xp from killing players are the only decent things about it, both things that have been requested since beta but neither will fix the problems that made people leave the pvp servers in the first place... there was no point to the pvp other than doing it just for the sake of it. That's fine for a while but people soon become bored.

The seiges taking place off in a segregated instance is the only form of territory control and have no effect on the rest of the world.

I think that this post really puts things into perspective. 

Another thought of mine is that it is too bad there is no open-world meaning or purpose to ones actions or open world factional or guild-based political game-play implementation.

• MannyManaMannyMana Member UncommonPosts: 121

I was wondering when they were going to do this... It felt weird that the game set in a barbaric and brutal world would not let you murder people anywhere...

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

• PVP is opened up again in White Sands isle and the Underhalls so that the PVP experience exists in some of the starting areas as well.

Ahh yes, the old "White Sands Gank-fest" is set to make a comeback. I can remember the good old days, back at release, when you could PvP in white sands.

Many a noob was welcomed to the server, with a new arse-hole ripped asunder by your local @$$hat, 13 year old, gank-fanatic, while take their first steps into the zone. Well, at lease the respawn point is near by.

White Sands Isle... It's isn't a zone, its a rite of passage. Being ganked on White Sands, is AoC's version of "Hazing".
  • AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

I don´t understand what is so ´hardcore´ about this other than low level characters will be ganked non-stop by high level characters.

1.  There is no real item-drop..  the only things players will lose will be 1 non-important item.  Smart players will quickly learn to fill their backpacks with low value items to even negate this aspect.

2.  There is no death penalty.

3.  No offline leveling?  Wow, congratulations, your server is as ´hardcore´ as every wow server now.

4.  Way too many loadscreens.  Expect to be ganked and dead before you even have control of your character.

This is a server type that took about 5 minutes for them to program.  They removed guards and are limiting it to 1 character.  It is the normal for Funcom.. all marketing, no programming.

• silent-jonessilent-jones Member Posts: 28

Will there be a seamless world or still 100 x 100 m sqaure - all instanced?

Rethorical Question. :-)

You, Funcom, ruined your own game, which had the most potientiell of all mmorpg´s out there from the very first start by poor design.

Imagine what if could have been with no instancing, seamless, sieging the cities, have a real impact on the world...

You lack visions.

Good bye

silent-jones

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

I played on Modred on and off for a couple years in DAoC.  I thought it was fun.  Higher level players didn't really gank the lower levels.  In DAoC it was all about getting your realm ranks and lower level players gave you nothing.  Occassionally a high level might blast through a group of lowbies just to feel powerful, but he would only do it once and be on his way.  Most people still grinded and quested to level.  Instead of doing it solo, you mostly did it in groups.  Was fun to see a same level person running in your direction...do you start the fight or wait and see if they are peaceful.

Tried this on AoC at launch, and the fun I had on Modred was missing.  Whitesands felt unplayble.  People didn't seem to have a goal of progressing like in daoc, it was pvp nonstop...kill anyone you saw.  Granted I think part of that problem has to do with Whitesands being a small zone compared to DAoCs large zones.  Too many people crammed into one spot.  I killed and got killed, and that was all that happened (deathmatch over and over.)  Every time you spawn be prepared to fight again within seconds.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

> Limited player looting.

> Hardcore.

Pick one.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Originally posted by raapnaap

AoC never really worked well with PvP because of all the zones and instances. Often you would load into an area and you would be dead before you had a chance to fight back or escape. And instanced PvP zones (aka 'battlegrounds') are anything but 'hardcore'.

Then there is the lack of objectives of any kind. Player holdings are in instances, untouchable, and there is nothing else to fight over, no conflict on a scale larger than 'I'm killing you for some points so I can get gear'.

The game was simply never designed with PvP in mind. A beter example of a game that was developed with PvP as the main focus is Darkfall.

Finally, the looting thing seems silly, just 1 item? You have looting or you don't, it should be full looting or no looting at all, it stops making sense when you can loot only 1 random item. Atleast when you can't loot at all you can say 'a player respawns with everything on him'. It's kind of silly how you would respawn and somehow lose 1 random item, feels very artificial, and might even break immersion.

This. Theres no point to PVP except for people who care about bragging rights. In the end everyone will be the same pvp level, have the same pvp gear, the same skills, and no penalty to dying. So itll just be unreal tournament. Die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn. And I bet youll still get attacked by a goat while in the middle of a pvp fight if you splash damage it. And the goat is level 80, so it doesnt go down quick.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by silent-jones

You, Funcom, ruined your own game, which had the most potientiell of all mmorpg´s out there from the very first start by poor design.

Imagine what if could have been with no instancing, seamless, sieging the cities, have a real impact on the world...

You lack visions.

Good bye

silent-jones

And your computer couldn't have run it for the next 10 years. I fail to see the "wonder" of seamless when it causes the game to lower its standards in a vast number of areas. I remember AC1 and SW:G and the vast empty tracts of land.... Wow, so immersive. Oh look, a randomly generated spawn point for a randomly generated monster type. THIS IS EPIC.

/sarcasm off

Originally posted by Azrile

They removed guards and are limiting it to 1 character.

No guards!!! Do you know how much fun the grifers are going to have kiting mobs, like the pirates behind the "Bearded Clam", into the centre of Tortage and letting them loose while you are trying to fill your backpacks with vendor trash, to annoy the gankers when they pick up the 100th pair of gray title, cloth pantaloons? EPIC!

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I had only planned to check out AoC when the F2P version goes out, but didn't think much of it. Now I'm rather curious and although it isn't the most "hardcore" ruleset, if it can at least encourage more developers to take a step back for a minute from the mainstream and look at the other share of their "niche" playerbase, it could be interesting. For that reason I'll definitively support Funcom, as I think it's a very welcome and much needed addition from MMORPG Developers.

• LoginnameLoginname Member Posts: 5

I don't like free for all PVP it seems pointless. When AOC launched I chose the faction PVP server type. It was a lot of fun we would get random groups fighting each other. Then they dropped those servers and merged them with the FFA server types. It wasn't nearly as much fun.

These changes don't seem very interesting or hardcore. It will just bring back the gank sqauds killing the lowest level players that will award them, for stats. That doesn't take skill it takes spam to form groups. Forcing players to group to do single player quest. Or get run over by a group of five players. 

• WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156

Originally posted by eric_w66

So the 13 people playing on the Mordred server of DAOC has someplace else to go now.

Ahahahaha! I remember Mordred. I played there for about 5 minutes.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

I know all the haters are gona hate but it's not to late for this game. The grafix are still better than most games comin out  this year and next,  so everytime it imoproves its a step ahead.  I'll admit it's had a rocky start and a hard run but I have still invested more time and had more fun than any other game I tried. 

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

You will only be allowed one character on this server. Your reputation will mean something on this server!

I assume it is still going to be available when the game goes F2P so I am not sure that this means anything now.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

as everyone else has said hardcore my ass.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Great, but only if they keep any "gear advantage" under control.  Make it truly about tactics and skill and not gear.

• silent-jonessilent-jones Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by eric_w66

Originally posted by silent-jones

You lack visions.

Good bye

silent-jones

And your computer couldn't have run it for the next 10 years. I fail to see the "wonder" of seamless when it causes the game to lower its standards in a vast number of areas. I remember AC1 and SW:G and the vast empty tracts of land.... Wow, so immersive. Oh look, a randomly generated spawn point for a randomly generated monster type. THIS IS EPIC.

/sarcasm off

Ever played Lineage 2 ? There you can see what the term "seamless world" realy means.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Kabaal

1 item from your inventory drops, lets all fill our invents with stacks of single potions.

If you want to sacrifice a lot of valuable inventory space just to keep your important things of being looted, then that's a trade off and your call to make: so the choice is have a lot of inv space that can be used but a higher risk of something valuable being looted or clog up your inv space with all kinds of garbage items but in the safe knowledge that at least if someone gets looted from you it'll probably be something useless

I really fail to see what's so harcore about it, it's pretty much as the game was for most of it's existence.

Well, how it was in the beginning was how a lot of PvP'ers liked it, so sounds like a good thing to me. Besides, no guards, player looting and only 1 char on the server are new additions.

Originally posted by raapnaap

AoC never really worked well with PvP because of all the zones and instances. Often you would load into an area and you would be dead before you had a chance to fight back or escape. And instanced PvP zones (aka 'battlegrounds') are anything but 'hardcore'.

There's instanced PvP AND open world PvP, seems like a choice to me.

Then there is the lack of objectives of any kind. Player holdings are in instances, untouchable, and there is nothing else to fight over, no conflict on a scale larger than 'I'm killing you for some points so I can get gear'.

Battlekeeps. If open world pvp or minigames don't hold your interest, there's always battlekeeps to conquer or defend.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

If they finally do so, this game will be the grieviest griev-game of everything released. Speaking of PvP.

Age of Conan was a gankfest from day one. And on top that you actually can "literally" sh!t somebody on his ripped out head in terms of disgracing, psychically, when a finisher is applied.

What turns out will be: You will not be able to go to shops anymore, your low toons will not make it anymore near the next zones because they get now (not only ganked in low-lvl zones, no. now they get) ganked everywhere.

Superb when it comes to: How do I get rid of potential customers 101. Funcom lol again. Nice concept, but I know you will ruin it. PvP is still just a huge pile of unfairness.

• SvartlackadSvartlackad Member Posts: 54

I'm so gonna go in and become a target for killing, if you can catch me :D

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by crunk001

If they finally do so, this game will be the grieviest griev-game of everything released. Speaking of PvP.

Age of Conan was a gankfest from day one. And on top that you actually can "literally" sh!t somebody on his ripped out head in terms of disgracing, psychically, when a finisher is applied.

What turns out will be: You will not be able to go to shops anymore, your low toons will not make it anymore near the next zones because they get now (not only ganked in low-lvl zones, no. now they get) ganked everywhere.

Superb when it comes to: How do I get rid of potential customers 101. Funcom lol again. Nice concept, but I know you will ruin it. PvP is still just a huge pile of unfairness.

If you want Guards just roll on Tyrrany-Cimmeria or whatever the EU version is, no one is forcing anyone to roll on the server with the new ruleset. It's an extra service being provided for niché gamers, they're not taking anything away from the existing servers. Unless you count the fact that the other pvp servers will end up empty(ier than usual) when the new one opens, F2P should fix that when it arrives though.

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

I don't see the appeal of this under the current AOC system.  What they seem to be trying to do is resurrent the old nostalgia people have for early UO.  However, that was a skill, not level, based system.  Although in pre-Trammel UO there certainly there were FOTM templates and max skill-grinding, a new player was not completely helpless.

This Blood and Glory ruleset will reward a very narrow type of player, which is the player who is able to be online more than anyone else.  They will surge in levels, then immediately start to prey on lower levels.  Sorry, there is nothing "hardcore" about a level 40 killing level 10's.

Furthermore, when they talk about "allies" that is just a pretty word for the good old Zerg.  By that I mean mega-guilds will form and everyone will join whoever is the biggest kid on the block just so they can level in peace.  Perhaps counter-zergs will form to fight the zerg, but this basically means squeezing out the people who are not willing or don't enjoy become part of the crowd.  Again, due to the level based system, the bigger the Zerg the easier it will be for people who are part of that Zerg.  Again, hardly "hardcore" since this rewards the cautious instead of the bold.

This sort of server will appeal to the slice of the player base that is immature and abusive. Game play will bear little resemblance to anything written by Howard, but rather be pretty much a "Lord of the Flies" remake for 12-year olds.

I wish AOC had gone in a different direction, which is really building a feudal realm model that would make PvP meaningful.  Instead, on the excuse of being "hardcore" they take the easy route.

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Originally posted by rodingo

Why don't they just add perma-death? That's about as hardcore as you can get.  If all of the gankers had the chance of being perma killed, just like their victims then this type of ruleset would actually be interesting. Basically what I'm saying is, if you are going to do hardcore then go all the way.

Perma-Death = Counter-strike