Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Hardcore PvP Incoming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com and Funcom have partnered to bring our readers some exciting news for Age of Conan players: When the new "Unrated" version of the game goes live, a new hardcore PvP server called Blood & Glory will make its debut. Funcom's Craig Morrison has an exclusive look at the new servers. Check it out and then let us know your thoughts!

For some the true appeal of the Hyborian setting is the brutal and unforgiving nature of the world Robert E Howard described. That isn't always something that is compatible with making an accessible game that appeals to a broad spectrum of users, as you are usually aiming for with an MMO, but with a license like Conan sometimes it is worth exploring other, less conventional ways, to bring that blood soaked and brutal world to life for those who are willing to live a less forgiving life.

That is where the new Blood and Glory server ruleset comes in.

Read more of Craig Morrison's Age of Conan: Hardcore PvP Incoming.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

They put this info out months ago and there's still nothing "Hardcore" about it.

Pre-Made team Vs team were in at launch then removed later due to whining

Bori was a stupid idea anyway, farming rocks to gain pvp xp

1 item from your inventory drops, lets all fill our invents with stacks of single potions.

I really fail to see what's so harcore about it, it's pretty much as the game was for most of it's existence.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

I think I'm gona have to come back for this, when does the server go up ?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I am curious to see how much players will really like this and how much was making noise about the demand for harder and more brutal pvp with a meaning where skill matters and fame counts.

Live up to your demand now!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I think I would actually give this a go. I really like the idea of a one-character-per-server type of system. I think quite often that a name does not quite mean enough when you have 10 different characters on a server, but to have one single character... yeah I like that.

Bearshaman Ftw. <3

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Why don't they just add perma-death? That's about as hardcore as you can get.  If all of the gankers had the chance of being perma killed, just like their victims then this type of ruleset would actually be interesting. Basically what I'm saying is, if you are going to do hardcore then go all the way.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SkullcrackSkullcrack Member Posts: 3

5/20/08  All the ideas listed above were supposed to be in this game one way or another. So much promised and so little delivered. This game was touted to be a PVP'ers dream game. It was not...

Played for about a year after they fixed the memory leak issue had some fun but the community dwindled fast. Hope this works well for Funcom.

Hope TSW doesn't follow in the footsteps of recent Funcom releases.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

This sounds cool, but it is a couple years too late. This should have been an available playstyle from day 1 seeing as how there were so many people wanting to play AOC for the hardcore PvP it seemed like it would support pre-release.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Welcome addition, but as pointed out, something akin to this should've been in the game since launch.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218

nice , about 2 years too late ... tera is coming ... noobcom ...

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Originally posted by rodingo

Why don't they just add perma-death? That's about as hardcore as you can get.  If all of the gankers had the chance of being perma killed, just like their victims then this type of ruleset would actually be interesting. Basically what I'm saying is, if you are going to do hardcore then go all the way.

I've been asking for this since launch.  The game wouldn't need an endgame, since noone will ever stay at 50, or probably even get to it.  AoC is one of the hardest games PvE, adding in perma-death + PvP...that'd be awesome.  Hardcore server, yes please!

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

At the very least I'll give it a try.

Eleanor Rigby.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

They asshole's forget to mention they just merged most servers incl the RP servers into normal servers. thats howmuch they care for the somewhat niche players whitin a comunity.

it could have gone good or bad for them but now 2th week after the merge it seems players are quiting faster then ever, specialy those who remained loyal and stayed purely due the comunity the game had are now leaving since the entire community was just pooped on.

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Torvaldr

This isn't hardcore pvp.  It's lame gankfest pvp.  All the things that make this a lame gankfest pvp game still exist and that's why I think it has failed so miserably.

I thought blood and glory server has not released yet?

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

Sounds boring and uninspired to me.

They talk about their reluctance to have multi rule set servers - more like lazyiness imo.

It's a great pve game, but I'm not interested in a game that hyped itself as pvp and released itself as pve.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

They should have done that at launch. Too bad there will still be phasing of public zones though.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

why are all the carebears crying about this new server? if you dont want to get ganked dont play on the new server. the end. why are you so mad that finally people who want to play the game a certain way finally get to do so without people crying and making excuses? i for one am happy with this new installment. i loved pvp from tortage sands all the way to lvl 80, playing hox, conq, bs, sin. i ganked, got ganked, and i loved every ruthless moment of it. if you died repeatedly its because you sucked and needed to get better. carebears never realized this and cried all day long. they make the excuse that instanced pvp is better because now they can still suck and win since they can hide behind the skirts of their guildmates who are better than them.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

AoC never really worked well with PvP because of all the zones and instances. Often you would load into an area and you would be dead before you had a chance to fight back or escape. And instanced PvP zones (aka 'battlegrounds') are anything but 'hardcore'.

Then there is the lack of objectives of any kind. Player holdings are in instances, untouchable, and there is nothing else to fight over, no conflict on a scale larger than 'I'm killing you for some points so I can get gear'.

The game was simply never designed with PvP in mind. A beter example of a game that was developed with PvP as the main focus is Darkfall.

Finally, the looting thing seems silly, just 1 item? You have looting or you don't, it should be full looting or no looting at all, it stops making sense when you can loot only 1 random item. Atleast when you can't loot at all you can say 'a player respawns with everything on him'. It's kind of silly how you would respawn and somehow lose 1 random item, feels very artificial, and might even break immersion.

• D_KitlorD_Kitlor Member Posts: 16
    With the new Conan movie coming out and AOC going F2P and adding areas from the new movie, this game is about to become popular. DDO and LOTRO have proven that going F2P is basically like a 2nd launch, and for AOC's 2nd launch it is going to have a ton of great things it didnt the first time.
  • frankahfrankah Member UncommonPosts: 73

This is Agony PvP server all over again! Have fun with that. Gankers 40+ in white sands raping noobies and such.

You can keep this...

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

"There will be a limited form of player looting. One random non-No Drop item from your inventory will be left behind as loot when you die to another player. There will also be some items 'generated' that players will drop, just as you see when killing an NPC."

So how was this hardcore again?

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Sounds Freaking Sweet

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

So the 13 people playing on the Mordred server of DAOC has someplace else to go now.

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 574

Ah i remember beautiful tortage dungeon pvp xD. Entering inside there and having like 6 invinsible guys attack you at the same time. Everyone was stealthed and the first person to be found was dead and started a huge fight.... Ah good days.

I ll definitely go there to try it, it seems its gonna be very interesting but i still dont know what class i want to be :(

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

To the people saying this is the way it should have been at launch...

It's almost exactly like it was at launch, the only difference is no guards and lame drops from the inventory. Premades were in the game for a long time until they were removed due to people whining about them, Bori was a ridiculous feature they added last year that let people gain pvp lvl's by gathering rocks (shouldn't have been added to the game in the first place). White Sands and The Underhalls were both open for pvp at launch until, again, they made them pve only due to whining. The removal of guards and boosted pvp xp from killing players are the only decent things about it, both things that have been requested since beta but neither will fix the problems that made people leave the pvp servers in the first place... there was no point to the pvp other than doing it just for the sake of it. That's fine for a while but people soon become bored.

The seiges taking place off in a segregated instance is the only form of territory control and have no effect on the rest of the world.