Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim walkthrough at E3!

124»

Comments

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Been with the series since the day Morrowind came out, then went back and played them all.  Skyrim looks to be the best of series, and possibly the best game of all time (not to go all Kanye West on you guys).

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Originally posted by tazarconan

Originally posted by SlyLoK

Originally posted by Zekiah

That looks insane.

I have two concerns though. Will it have the same crappy leveling system where you had to sit there and max a certain amount of skills to get max stats? And two, will there be MORE items than Oblivion?

I'll be buying it for sure but I just hope they addressed the above.

1. The leveling system is a bit different from Oblivion in that EVERY skill goes toward you leveling up instead of just your major skills. When you level up you dont increase the traditional Str , Int , End , Agil stats but just your Health , Stamina , Mana ( or Magicka ) and then you pick perks to customize your character in your playstyle.

I will miss the traditional stats but it looks like the more simple system is going to work just as well especially with the addition of perks.

Is this true???????????

WTH??? just health and mana? they made skyrim wow nothing to choose every time you lvl? dude i really hope u r wrong.Sure its freking awesome footage,greta battles but miniming players options every time u lvl that just sucks.

And anyone knows anything or heard anything aboiut these perks? u pick one every how many lvls? or every time u lvl? is there a huge variety?

sigh* that was heavy blow to my animalistic roleplay deep build up characters systems i loved in past rpg's /cry

Except stats in TES really didnt do much.. Instead of increasing intelligence to increase your mana you will directly choose to increase your mana and then use perks to strengthen your abilities. Its pretty much the same thing except there is no middle man.

There isnt much info on perks right now but in one of the E3 videos it shows some of the base lists like Destruction , Block and such that you could invest in.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by mrcalhou

Am I the only one that was more interested in what this might mean for the next Fallout games?

http://www.rage.com/

^^^ combine this with Skyrim, and you basically have Fallout 4... which will be completely insane!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• HazukiStyleHazukiStyle Member UncommonPosts: 49

Getting definite nerd chills... Well over 300 hours on gameplay!!!  Yes please!

They wanted to make the "biggest, craziest roleplaying game they can" - looks like they are succeeding!

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

Originally posted by Herodes

I wonder if Bethesda at some point after release will say to tjemselves: "Why the hell did we invest 5 year into the ultimate RPG when we can sell as much copies of a game less impressive with only 2 years of development and more marketing?"

---

Why do people ruin their game experiences with grinding skills to max before playing the actual game? This reminds me of a post in some forums: "Europa Universalis III is such an easy game and I only cheated unlimited gold."

People really make me wonder. I had a friend who said this seriously: "Morrowind is shit. I used the console to give me full daedric and max stats and then killed everyone I saw. Now there's nothing to do. Shit game is shit."

It's mind boggling, really. Like the people who follow guides word for word and then complain their puzzle games are too easy...

Ain't that the truth.

I've said it for a long time now that many gamers are their own worst enemies, in single player games and in MMOs. In single player games you have them using cheat codes.. then bragging about how quickly they beat it, or complaining about how "easy" it was. Well... yeah. I seriously think some people are convinced that using cheats is a legitimate and intended way to say you beat the game and is every bit as valid an achievement as beating the game without them.

In MMOs you have them following the walk-throughs for raids, quests, etc. word for word, following every "optimal" cookie-cutter... and then complaining about how MMOs aren't challenging. I know in FFXI, there were people I knew who required anyone in a group they were running to do quests or missions in that game, to have thoroughly studied the walkthrough guide and know exactly what they needed to do and when and how. And I mean studied.. as if for an exam. If you didn't know every step you needed to take, you were reamed out and possibly kicked from the group afterward.

And of course, you see people using hacks and bots/scripts to get an advantage in-game or otherwise automate something intended to be done manually. Of course, the excuse you'll see for that is "I'm not cheating. These are things that the "clueless devs" failed to put into the game".

It was so annoying to see or hear something like (just as a made-up example), "Okay, the guide says that next we need to go over around this corner, and there are two Orcs to take out first, otherwise they get in the way for the next fight. It says that the main tank should hold aggro on the first one while the group DPS's down the second. The healer should only have to worry about the tank because the DPS should get the second one down quick enough if everyone's doing everything right..."

And I know folks do the same thing in other MMOs. They want a guaranteed win and the idea of winning by "trial and error" is an alien concept to them. A common argument is "I don't have time to keep re-doing a mission because the clueless devs make the quests too confusing". So they use walkthroughs instead... then complain that the "clueless devs" made the game too easy.

Also, notice how it's always "clueless devs" at fault with these people. Always. They never look to their own mentality or playstyle as the problem.. Nope. It's always "clueless devs" that are somehow responsible for them using cheat guides, walkthroughs and cookie-cutter templates for the entire game, thus eliminating any chance for a challenge they might have otherwise experienced. All they're left to do is connect the dots and follow the instructions.

I saw a comment on these forums some time back where someone said MMOs arent' challenging because there's walkthrough guides for everything online. /facepalm I'd like to think the idea to maybe, like... not use the online guides would occur to them, ya know? But nope... "clueless devs" to the rescue yet again.

So, as always... Many players are their own worst enemies and the root cause of their own boredom.

Well, here's a suggestion... close the damn browser window, don't use the walk-through guides and work through it yourself. Crazy concept, right?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Originally posted by WSIMike

I've said it for a long time now that many gamers are their own worst enemies, in single player games and in MMOs.

the idea of winning by "trial and error" is an alien concept to them.

I pretty much agree with these things whole heartedly.

There are all these bitter people out there who seem to have forgotten how to have fun.

When we played Guantlett at the Student Union we weren't complaining about the graphics or how we would get our butts kicked and kicked hard.

We just enjoyed ourselves.

The idea of reading up on a fight so you can be preparted just seems nuts. Why? Just go in and fight the thing and figure it out then and there. That's fun to me. Not knowing every move of the encounter. I might as well just not do it if I know what's going to happen.

people need to get in touch with their seven year old selves again.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by HazukiStyle

Getting definite nerd chills... Well over 300 hours on gameplay!!!  Yes please!

They wanted to make the "biggest, craziest roleplaying game they can" - looks like they are succeeding!

And imagine that apart the game content (150+dungeons etc) ,the huge posibilities from the modders content that could be made dungeons/weapons/armours/quests etc etc Possibilities are endless.

And concerning this,do we have any reference leakinfo about what they ll do with construction set? Is there going to be any tool for player /modders being able to work out things and make mods?  I had many intresting mods in morrorwind and after a point in oblivion at start i never played the vanilla version again.I used to play the marvelous OOO (Obscuro Overhaul mod) ,also Mortigen's overhaul which both corected alot of issues that vanilla oblivion suffered especially the lvl scalling thing and many others amongst.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Though Skyrim is probably a day 1 purchase for me, I haven't been reading up on it (Simply because I know I'll get it).

... so I'm not sure, are they keeping the scaling leveling thing from Oblivion, or is it more like Morrowind where you can go anywhere, but things might slaughter you because you're woefully underprepared?

Because I definitely prefer not having everything keep track of level and matching mine, because I tend to level really retarded things like run speed and lock picking and bargaining, then end up with everything massively powerful while I'm full of non-combat skills.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

Originally posted by Herodes

I wonder if Bethesda at some point after release will say to tjemselves: "Why the hell did we invest 5 year into the ultimate RPG when we can sell as much copies of a game less impressive with only 2 years of development and more marketing?"

---

Why do people ruin their game experiences with grinding skills to max before playing the actual game? This reminds me of a post in some forums: "Europa Universalis III is such an easy game and I only cheated unlimited gold."

People really make me wonder. I had a friend who said this seriously: "Morrowind is shit. I used the console to give me full daedric and max stats and then killed everyone I saw. Now there's nothing to do. Shit game is shit."

It's mind boggling, really. Like the people who follow guides word for word and then complain their puzzle games are too easy...

Ain't that the truth.

I've said it for a long time now that many gamers are their own worst enemies, in single player games and in MMOs. In single player games you have them using cheat codes.. then bragging about how quickly they beat it, or complaining about how "easy" it was. Well... yeah. I seriously think some people are convinced that using cheats is a legitimate and intended way to say you beat the game and is every bit as valid an achievement as beating the game without them.

In MMOs you have them following the walk-throughs for raids, quests, etc. word for word, following every "optimal" cookie-cutter... and then complaining about how MMOs aren't challenging. I know in FFXI, there were people I knew who required anyone in a group they were running to do quests or missions in that game, to have thoroughly studied the walkthrough guide and know exactly what they needed to do and when and how. And I mean studied.. as if for an exam. If you didn't know every step you needed to take, you were reamed out and possibly kicked from the group afterward.

It was so annoying to see or hear something like (just as a made-up example), "Okay, the guide says that next we need to go over around this corner, and there are two Orcs to take out first, otherwise they get in the way for the next fight. It says that the main tank should hold aggro on the first one while the group DPS's down the second. The healer should only have to worry about the tank because the DPS should get the second one down quick enough if everyone's doing everything right..."

And I know folks do the same thing in other MMOs. They want a guaranteed win and the idea of winning by "trial and error" is an alien concept to them. A common argument is "I don't have time to keep re-doing a mission because the clueless devs make the quests too confusing". So they use walkthroughs instead... then complain that the "clueless devs" made the game too easy.

Also, notice how it's always "clueless devs" at fault with these people. Always. They never look to their own mentality or playstyle as the problem.. Nope. It's always "clueless devs" that are somehow responsible for them using cheat guides, walkthroughs and cookie-cutter templates for the entire game, thus eliminating any chance for a challenge they might have otherwise experienced. All they're left to do is connect the dots and follow the instructions.

I saw a comment on these forums some time back where someone said MMOs arent' challenging because there's walkthrough guides for everything online. /facepalm I'd like to think the idea to maybe, like... not use the online guides would occur to them, ya know? But nope... "clueless devs" to the rescue yet again.

So, as always... Many players are their own worst enemies and the root cause of their own boredom.

Well, here's a suggestion... close the damn browser window, don't use the walk-through guides and work through it yourself. Crazy concept, right?

I know what u mean Mike . I remmber when we were playing Morrorwind me and a real life friend he was keep saying that Morrowind was crap cause of  2 reasons.

1st  because u were able to steal literally amost everything in the game without being caught and he was keep giv ing an example of a tiny column where he was hiding behind it in a room(y well the column was way too thiny compared to character's body but when he wasnt in str8 line with the guard in the room he was thieving many precious items hat were in front of him ,he was going and sell them afterwards making loads of money etc exploiting the game's economy ).

2nd He found in the game a daedric weapon enchanted it with lots of dmg cause he had loads of money from stealing everything in the game,and he was killing everything easy ,even powerfull vampires,daedras/dremoras or he was just levitating in the air throwing fireballs on the enemies till they die while the enemies coudnt do anything below him to defend themselfs .

I simply told him that yes, the way morrorwind was made there  were ways to cheat the game itself and ofc ruin your own expirience with the game. If you think game is easy for your extra super duper skills there is a difficulty slider to make the game harder and more balanced/intresting for your own skills lvl ,i for exapmle never ever played oblivion in 50 lvl difficulty. I played only in 55  and 60  difficulty (6o difficulty slioder is HELL you need to use every item /skill/racial trait to survive)slider,and no, i repeat no LOAD. I never managed to finish the game but i made it long enough near the end playing extra carefully with adrenaline rush laods of times popped out of me ,simply cause if my character died he died. I would start game from start.

Every player sets game to his needs but i believe we should play the game the way its atmosphere provides it. If i think something is chating easy i just pretend i dont see it and ofc dont use it. Some others ofc try to cheat ai or just exploit situations. Its just i think with exploting u miss the game expirience.Your own expirience.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Sovrath

I've said it for a long time now that many gamers are their own worst enemies, in single player games and in MMOs.

the idea of winning by "trial and error" is an alien concept to them.

I pretty much agree with these things whole heartedly.

There are all these bitter people out there who seem to have forgotten how to have fun.

When we played Guantlett at the Student Union we weren't complaining about the graphics or how we would get our butts kicked and kicked hard.

We just enjoyed ourselves.

The idea of reading up on a fight so you can be preparted just seems nuts. Why? Just go in and fight the thing and figure it out then and there. That's fun to me. Not knowing every move of the encounter. I might as well just not do it if I know what's going to happen.

people need to get in touch with their seven year old selves again.

Agreed.

Though I think another aspect of it is that many gamers are solely gear-driven these days. They're not doing that raid or running that quest for the challenge of the content. They're only interested in the reward at the end. Everything else is "just in the way".

So in that context, when attention is on the prize at the end, and no value is placed on the process of earning it, I suppose finding the most efficient and "fool proof" way of doing so seems "ideal".

However, I also believe that reducing every game down to parsers and walkthroughs and cheats and cookie-cutter templates is what's driving these people to burn out and become bored with them.

It's no surprise to me at all that the people who take their time, enjoy the journey, don't use walkthroughs or cookie-cutter templates to define and direct their play experience tend to have much longer and, overall, much more memorable experiences in MMOs. Meanwhile, in many cases I've seen, the people who focus only on end game as fast as possible, and use walkthroughs and cookie-cutter builds (as well as add-ons, hacks, etc) ultimately end up feeling burned out and bitter about their experience and don't last in the game nearly as long as their more "journey-oriented" counterparts. I'm not saying everyone who uses walkthroughs is like that... But certainly many are.

I had an experience with a RL friend of mine that fits that exact scenario.

In FFXI, since day 1, I was always about the journey, about enjoying myself, doing only what I felt like doing, mixing up the content and so forth. My friend,on the other hand, was the classic "follow guides to do everything". He was almost dogmatic about it and would say to me "these games are intended to be played with Walkthrough guides and templates. It's all about playing the game as efficiently as possible". He would often refer to "playing the game as perfectly as possible". He had every FFXI site on the web bookmarked, he literally wore the hell out of his original strategy guide; it was literally falling apart. He would often scoff at my stories of funny things that I experienced or saw while playing and would say "Doesn't sound like the most productive use of your time". He would regularly try to educate me about how to play the game in the most optimal manner... which annoyed me 'cause he knew I wasn't interested in his style of playing. The guy was serious about the game.

Lo and behold.. Years later, I still have nothing but fond memories of FFXI, of all the great experiences, encounters and situations I was involved in. My friend, however, left the game 3 years ago, bitter and very much "down" on the game overall. He's said "I just feel like I put so much energy into that game and it was a waste". Several years in the game, and he had not one good memory from it, and how could he? Every minute spent in-game was in the pursuit of "the most optimal gameplay". He never allowed himself to enjoy it. Sadly, I've met many others just like him in my travel.

To play off what you said, Sov... Some people really need to learn to have fun again.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

any chance of multiplayer or this just going to be one giant massive lonely world?

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

no multiplayer?

glad they got rid of Gamebyro engine

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Does this game have most major indoor environments in there own instance like Oblivion or is it all seemless?  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Meowhead

Though Skyrim is probably a day 1 purchase for me, I haven't been reading up on it (Simply because I know I'll get it).

... so I'm not sure, are they keeping the scaling leveling thing from Oblivion, or is it more like Morrowind where you can go anywhere, but things might slaughter you because you're woefully underprepared?

Because I definitely prefer not having everything keep track of level and matching mine, because I tend to level really retarded things like run speed and lock picking and bargaining, then end up with everything massively powerful while I'm full of non-combat skills.

I do know that dragons are dangerous and impossible to defeat before a certain level range. I'm not sure about the rest of the world though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Well I have to admit that's one of the best intro's to a game I've ever seen, that looks wicked beautiful.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Judging by the video looks a lot more mature in the sense of gameplay compared to Oblivions(have no idea bout the game story though so just wait till more develops). Overall though looks like this is going to be a real continuation to the Elder's Scrolls story and the real spiritual successor Morrowind (sweeps Oblivion under the rug).

I just hope after release people aren't going to shit all over it with weabo and anime crap(puke) That crap alone is a HUGE let down to Oblivion which just makes it worse then what it already is, plus I really don't know why people are so obsessed with modding Oblivion with anorexic naked women and all the sex mods. Have they no self respect or decency? Hope Skyrim rectify's this and keeps that crap out and far away. It's an RPG, not a sex simulator weirdo's.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

I think I'll start saving now so I can quit my job when this game comes out and spend a month in Skyrim.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215

That actually sounds pretty amazing. The attitude is simply perfect: we give you and big world, do what you want with it.

When in doubt, troll.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Erstok

Judging by the video looks a lot more mature in the sense of gameplay compared to Oblivions(have no idea bout the game story though so just wait till more develops). Overall though looks like this is going to be a real continuation to the Elder's Scrolls story and the real spiritual successor Morrowind (sweeps Oblivion under the rug).

I just hope after release people aren't going to shit all over it with weabo and anime crap(puke) That crap alone is a HUGE let down to Oblivion which just makes it worse then what it already is, plus I really don't know why people are so obsessed with modding Oblivion with anorexic naked women and all the sex mods. Have they no self respect or decency? Hope Skyrim rectify's this and keeps that crap out and far away. It's an RPG, not a sex simulator weirdo's.

Heres the real question, why do you care what other people choose to do with there game that you never have to use?

Really, get over it, and stop being so petty.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Looking forward to this too :-)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by username509

Does this game have most major indoor environments in there own instance like Oblivion or is it all seemless?  

That's my main question as well and the only thing that really bothered me about the previous games. Why would someone put a door on a natural cave? You should be able to walk right in.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Erstok

I hate to break this to you but people did the same thing to Morrowind as well. In Morrowind's case though I think it was more because Bethesda themselves programmed Daggerfall with naked avatars so people put them back into Morrowind through mods. The sex stuff was just taking it to the next level. This sort of thing being mods however makes it totally optional and up to the player whether you choose to use them or not. In Daggerfall however it was hard coded into the game(Not the sex stuff, just the nudity).

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }