Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim walkthrough at E3!

Comments

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by adam_nox

The problem in oblivion was the opposite, you had to spreadsheet your character to max your stats and level skills the most efficient way possible and it detracted from the actual gameplay.  Did you even play it lol?

People said the same about Morrowind. You never "had to," ever. I know - and myself included - many who brought characters to high levels without ever thinking it and did just fine.

Some people just either really like to, or feel that they absolutely must know that they are 100% min/maxed for whatever reason. But it really isn't needed in a lot of games... well, unless maybe you crammed the difficulty slider all the way up. That's a bit too masochistic for me, though :D But leaving it on default was fine.

For Skyrim, I don't really think they've dumbed down, they're just trying it in a different way. Though I am bummed about the loss of 3 skills, in addition to loss of skills from Morrowind to Oblivion... but I guess, we'll see what happens ^^

PS. Hoping for more RPy friendly features instead of just combat-combat-combat though ^^

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Looks cool, although, I've never been a huge fan of the sort of melee combat.

It would be pretty awesome if you could have a friend or three play with you too.

But good lord, 300 hours.  I think that's the big thing.  How many games offer half of that? 1/3rd of that?  Even a quarter?a

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

I'm still not sold on the idea that dragons are going to be "completely dynamic", but won't know until the game comes out of course.

Other than that the game does look good, and certainly looking better than Oblivion. Not sure how I feel about character development being dumbed down/simplified, I didn't like it when they did it in Oblvion and I probably won't like it in Skyrim, but depending on the rest of the game it'll probably be a moot issue.

Anyways, cool showing at E3, looking forward to game.

The problem in oblivion was the opposite, you had to spreadsheet your character to max your stats and level skills the most efficient way possible and it detracted from the actual gameplay.  Did you even play it lol?

Oblivion removed skills that were present in their previous games, along with several weapon and armor types. Skyrim is unfortunately removing a few more, along with attributes all together from what I understand, though they are adding in perks like Fallout 3, which could be neat.

But with Oblivion, I never had to draw out a plan for my character, I made a Warrior type character and didn't have much trouble developing him to max out strength/stamina, but I know a lot of players who wanted to max nearly every skill/attrib had to pick skills they weren't going to use in order for controlled leveling. I think Morrowind worked in a similar manner now that you mention it. The game was perfectly enjoyable not min/maxing though, so no I never had that problem with Oblivion.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Words simply can't describe how impressed I am with what they've shown so far.

So I won't even try other than to say I am going to be spending a lot of time getting myself completely lost in that world, and loving every moment of it.

... at least that's the plan.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Awsome! image

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

I'm still not sold on the idea that dragons are going to be "completely dynamic", but won't know until the game comes out of course.

Other than that the game does look good, and certainly looking better than Oblivion. Not sure how I feel about character development being dumbed down/simplified, I didn't like it when they did it in Oblvion and I probably won't like it in Skyrim, but depending on the rest of the game it'll probably be a moot issue.

Anyways, cool showing at E3, looking forward to game.

Problem with oblivion's character advancment system was that it had gasps and it could get exploited by the players. A friend for example was hitting with his fists many weaks or medium opponents to get max str x multiplier when the time of lvling came.That way he was getting stronger while he wasnt taking lvls and mobs since lvl scaling existed stayed in player's lvl.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Originally posted by kuhronusu

The game looks amazing, no doubt it will be awsome for PC.

But how about consoles? will it be a PC port for consoles or the other way ?

if you ever played Oblivion in a PS3 you'll know why i'm asking. The game has too much loading in the open world and some pop up textures.

Skyrim is way more robust and will need a better hardware for sure on the PC side, how they'll manage to get this into the Consoles without quality loss ?

One side will loose something for sure, unless they are doing 2 versions.

This demo is from the 360 version.. So the game will look quite nice on the consoles.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Ballor

watch the g4 interview, much more stuff.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/53441/The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-E3-Gameplay-Demo/

*Picks jaw up off the floor*

OMG.... This is just... just... AMAZING!!!

WHY THE HELL CAN'T NOVEMBER BE EARLIER IN THE YEAR!!! image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279

Omg cant wait to play this game, It looks amazing

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

This is my must have game of the year! I put more time into Morrowind and Oblivion than I ever put into any other singleplayer game I have owned. The gameplay shown so far has only made me think I will be putting just as much time if not more into Skyrim, come on November!

No signature, I don't have a pen

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

This game will ease the wait for GW2 for me.

Now I'll just need to get a BETTER computer.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Whaaaa? No open world FFA non-concentual PvP! How lam..... oh, wait. wrong game.

Yeah, this looks pretty dang awesome. It has been on the "must have" list for a couple of months now. Looking forward to 11.11.11.

All die, so die well.

• KokomoblKokomobl Member UncommonPosts: 153

Looks amazing.

I wasn't much of a fan of Oblivion for some reason couldn't get into it, confusing at times.

Hopefully this will be different and give me a totally different feel to the game.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

That looks insane.

I have two concerns though. Will it have the same crappy leveling system where you had to sit there and max a certain amount of skills to get max stats? And two, will there be MORE items than Oblivion?

I'll be buying it for sure but I just hope they addressed the above.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Looking forward to the game I have put more time into Oblivion than some mmos I have tried.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

I got my wife into MMOs, now I wish I never did. Reasons are simple, I prefer most single RPGs, ie Oblivion then the MMOs out nowadays. Skyrim, looks flat out awesome, and if I m playing an MMO at that time, it will sit idle for a long time.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Originally posted by Zekiah

That looks insane.

I have two concerns though. Will it have the same crappy leveling system where you had to sit there and max a certain amount of skills to get max stats? And two, will there be MORE items than Oblivion?

1. The leveling system is a bit different from Oblivion in that EVERY skill goes toward you leveling up instead of just your major skills. When you level up you dont increase the traditional Str , Int , End , Agil stats but just your Health , Stamina , Mana ( or Magicka ) and then you pick perks to customize your character in your playstyle.

I will miss the traditional stats but it looks like the more simple system is going to work just as well especially with the addition of perks. If there had been no perks then I would have been really disappointed with the removal of the traditional stats but with the perks you get as much if not more customization.

2. No clue on the items.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by SlyLoK

That looks insane.

1. The leveling system is a bit different from Oblivion in that EVERY skill goes toward you leveling up instead of just your major skills. When you level up you dont increase the traditional Str , Int , End , Agil stats but just your Health , Stamina , Mana ( or Magicka ) and then you pick perks to customize your character in your playstyle.

I will miss the traditional stats but it looks like the more simple system is going to work just as well especially with the addition of perks. If there had been no perks then I would have been really disappointed with the removal of the traditional stats but with the perks you get as much if not more customization.

2. No clue on the items.

I'm just glad they got rid of annoying skill leveling traits like jumping (forgot the skill name associated with doing that). It seems like they are focusing on skills that matter. I so can't wait for this game. I am purposely holding off on buying a new monster gaming laptop until closer to release of this game where Nvidia and AMD will refresh their cards...and better yet, it comes out at the same time as SWTOR (most likely) killing two birds with one stone. :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• joeballsjoeballs Member UncommonPosts: 163

My most anticipated game for sure. Who needs mmos when you have deep games like this? ;)

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I wonder if Bethesda at some point after release will say to tjemselves: "Why the hell did we invest 5 year into the ultimate RPG when we can sell as much copies of a game less impressive with only 2 years of development and more marketing?"
    ---
    Why do people ruin their game experiences with grinding skills to max before playing the actual game? This reminds me of a post in some forums: "Europa Universalis III is such an easy game and I only cheated unlimited gold."

• eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

Is there a PC walkthrough video, coz those 360 graphics look like ass. I want to play in a world, not in a JC Penny Portrait Studio backdrop with some tacky plastic plants at my feet - which is what that 360 stuff looked like.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by Herodes

I wonder if Bethesda at some point after release will say to tjemselves: "Why the hell did we invest 5 year into the ultimate RPG when we can sell as much copies of a game less impressive with only 2 years of development and more marketing?"

---

Why do people ruin their game experiences with grinding skills to max before playing the actual game? This reminds me of a post in some forums: "Europa Universalis III is such an easy game and I only cheated unlimited gold."

People really make me wonder. I had a friend who said this seriously: "Morrowind is shit. I used the console to give me full daedric and max stats and then killed everyone I saw. Now there's nothing to do. Shit game is shit."

It's mind boggling, really. Like the people who follow guides word for word and then complain their puzzle games are too easy...

Originally posted by eoweth

Is there a PC walkthrough video, coz those 360 graphics look like ass. I want to play in a world, not in a JC Penny Portrait Studio backdrop with some tacky plastic plants at my feet - which is what that 360 stuff looked like.

They said a while back that the PC was going to have higher resolution textures... IMO, you'll probably have to wait for mods. I'm predicting another Qarl's TP if he's still around... And probably body replacers.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by SlyLoK

That looks insane.

I will miss the traditional stats but it looks like the more simple system is going to work just as well especially with the addition of perks.

Is this true???????????

WTH??? just health and mana? they made skyrim wow nothing to choose every time you lvl? dude i really hope u r wrong.Sure its freking awesome footage,greta battles but miniming players options every time u lvl that just sucks.

And anyone knows anything or heard anything aboiut these perks? u pick one every how many lvls? or every time u lvl? is there a huge variety?

sigh* that was heavy blow to my animalistic roleplay deep build up characters systems i loved in past rpg's /cry

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

unbelieveable :-) :-)  :-)   <3<#<#3

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Simply awesome!!! Who needs mmos when you have Skyrim!

Link: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-elder-scrolls/714852

Thank you so much for posting this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo