Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harry Potter MMORPG?

Comments

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Books were ok but the movies suck,bet game would be even worse.

• RebthohRebthoh Member Posts: 10

No, I don't want anymore Harry Potter games, movies, or books.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

I've been trying to spread the word about this for years.  Wouldn't it be nice to play a Harry Potter MMORPG.  Well my site is all about that.  It's a gathering place for people with the same interest.  We're gathering ideas and gathering numbers.  If we can show people that there is money in this idea, it'll be done.  Check us out.

• arogorsarogors Member Posts: 22

I heard rumors of turbine making it as a console mmorpg for xbox 360 and ps3, just a rumor though.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by MCLustt910

Originally posted by ratheon

I would play it if it was going to be a MMO. It would be a wonderful game, something truely different.

I agree entirely. An RPG that plays on a book series I read as a child, and treasured, and wished they'd made more of? Excellent.

I love your sig, I have a pug.  Let's get married.

Also, HP MMO needs to be released soon. Kgo.

• huatoslynhuatoslyn Member Posts: 18

In that case, my IGN would be Dumbledore? Don't steal it from me! Please

• theodoriktheodorik Member Posts: 7

I'd so play it, but I don't think it will ever happen.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If they can't even make a good single player HP game, how could they make a good MMO based on it?

Besides should they make a MMO based on Neil Gailmans "The books of magic" instead, Rowling stole almost anything from it including the owl. She only changed the name of Tim to Harry.

Gailmans universe (which include Sandman also and Hellblazer) would work better for a MMO.

Before you bash me, read the first hardback of books of magic and remember that it was made before Potter. The kid even have the same friggin glasses.

• severity3severity3 Member Posts: 264

didn't read the thread , as almost none of the threads here are worth reading... I'm sure it went something like "

"omg a harry potter game could be cool"

"no idiot it would suck"

"nuh uh"

etc..........

That said...quidich ala WoW style arenas ftw.

Edit : yes, i see the irony in my post vs the sig. Is a sig I use on several sites...including a few where threads are actually sometimes intelligent conversation.

• mmomonstermmomonster Member Posts: 11

If the game would make you a new student in hogwarths but would not follow Harry Potter's steps.

Like you would choose your own path. I would play it.

• Chase05Chase05 Member Posts: 113

If the game is very different and unique from all current mmos i think it would be a great game to play.

But if it uses current mmorpg formulas i doubt it would be a success.

• GingerAleGingerAle Member Posts: 2

A Harry Potter MMO would be interesting. I mean, they're already making a Harry Potter theme park, so why not an MMO?

LoTR did it. =p

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Swanea

I would loveeeeeeeeeeeee to have a harry potter MMO.    But I wonder how they would work it.  After the Books? During? Before?
    Would be so much fun.

I think it'd be a great idea.

My only fear would be that they'd want to appeal to young kids, ala Pirates of the Caribbean.

If you could get marketers away from that, then it would be a matter of trying to implement many of the things that were the main focus of the books... Hogwarts and the school grounds, while creating a huge gaming world to explore that's still "Pottery".

I suspect that advancement would have to lead to graduation and you doing things within the wizarding world(and without?).

Plenty of challenges, but I think the Potter world could make for a TERRIFIC MMO.  You already have factions and class; potential backgrounds, schools of magic to excel/be weak in...

Timeframe is a tuffy.  I think they could do any and get away with it.  There were plenty unnamed in Dumbledores Army...

On the other hand, using the first rise of the deatheaters timeframe would still have many beloved characters to interact with and provide backstory and danger.  I think that frame would be the best for the canon.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by Robsolf

I would loveeeeeeeeeeeee to have a harry potter MMO.    But I wonder how they would work it.  After the Books? During? Before?
    Would be so much fun.

My only fear would be that they'd want to appeal to young kids, ala Pirates of the Caribbean.

If you could get marketers away from that, then it would be a matter of trying to implement many of the things that were the main focus of the books... Hogwarts and the school grounds, while creating a huge gaming world to explore that's still "Pottery".

I suspect that advancement would have to lead to graduation and you doing things within the wizarding world(and without?).

Plenty of challenges, but I think the Potter world could make for a TERRIFIC MMO.  You already have factions and class; potential backgrounds, schools of magic to excel/be weak in...

Timeframe is a tuffy.  I think they could do any and get away with it.  There were plenty unnamed in Dumbledores Army...

On the other hand, using the first rise of the deatheaters timeframe would still have many beloved characters to interact with and provide backstory and danger.  I think that frame would be the best for the canon.

I tend to disagree with your timeline argument.  I think the easiest time to set this game in would be after the 7th book.  There is just simply too many restrictions to setting it during or before the events that take place in all 7 of the books.  Now setting it after would open up to many new possibilities while staying true to the books.  For instance you could still have many of the same teachers, the same school, all the same types of problems.  I mean with the end of book 7, the whole world doesn't just live happily ever after.  Death Eaters can still exist, some other bad guy can rise to be the main conflict.  But, with certain characters out of the way, (won't say to avoid spoilers) the developers would have a lot less to worry about to say the least.

I agree that the game would have to be done right of course.  It can't be a kiddie game.  I mean what kiddie game is successful anyway.  Having such a small target audience is never a good idea.  I was disappointed with all the single player games.  I really would like to see an MMORPG stay away from any similarities with those.  I'm currently playing Dragon Age and loving it.  I'm not a huge fan of the combat, and of course it wouldn't really work in an MMO environment anyway, but the quest system is awesome.  The game runs well even on lower end machines.  That's not to say that it would be the same as an MMO, but to at least attempt something like that would be amazing.  My dream development company for a game like a Harry Potter MMORPG would be Bioware without a doubt.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by seniorfrito

Originally posted by Robsolf

Would be so much fun.

I tend to disagree with your timeline argument.  I think the easiest time to set this game in would be after the 7th book.  There is just simply too many restrictions to setting it during or before the events that take place in all 7 of the books.  Now setting it after would open up to many new possibilities while staying true to the books.  For instance you could still have many of the same teachers, the same school, all the same types of problems.  I mean with the end of book 7, the whole world doesn't just live happily ever after.  Death Eaters can still exist, some other bad guy can rise to be the main conflict.  But, with certain characters out of the way, (won't say to avoid spoilers) the developers would have a lot less to worry about to say the least.

I agree that the game would have to be done right of course.  It can't be a kiddie game.  I mean what kiddie game is successful anyway.  Having such a small target audience is never a good idea.  I was disappointed with all the single player games.  I really would like to see an MMORPG stay away from any similarities with those.  I'm currently playing Dragon Age and loving it.  I'm not a huge fan of the combat, and of course it wouldn't really work in an MMO environment anyway, but the quest system is awesome.  The game runs well even on lower end machines.  That's not to say that it would be the same as an MMO, but to at least attempt something like that would be amazing.  My dream development company for a game like a Harry Potter MMORPG would be Bioware without a doubt.

Good point.  That would probably be a terrific time frame to start.

I liked the Order of the Phoenix game ok, as they made Hogwarts explorable.  Unfortunately the gameplay left alot to be desired.  All the rest that I've tried were pretty bad.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Not with a ten foot pole. Guess I'm just too old.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• kittyvonkitakittyvonkita Member Posts: 75

I don't know, I would play it just because I love Harry Potter, and Ron is positively the best character, but I don't know how it would play out for an MMO. Would we make our own school children and run around helping Harry? No, that would conflict with the true story line. I can't say LoTRO did or didn't do a very good job on the same issues, as I quit playing at level 21.

Still though. If it wasn't P2P, I would. Just because I want to see Snape swish his cloak. Yummy.

• ElyasisElyasis Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by kittyvonkita

I don't know, I would play it just because I love Harry Potter, and Ron is positively the best character, but I don't know how it would play out for an MMO. Would we make our own school children and run around helping Harry? No, that would conflict with the true story line. I can't say LoTRO did or didn't do a very good job on the same issues, as I quit playing at level 21.
    Still though. If it wasn't P2P, I would. Just because I want to see Snape swish his cloak. Yummy.

The cloak swishiness is THE most important part of the game, should they make it.

That's a game I can get behind ;)

• viko95viko95 Member Posts: 3

My dream is a Harry Potter mmorpg! xD

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by Loke666

If they can't even make a good single player HP game, how could they make a good MMO based on it?
    Besides should they make a MMO based on Neil Gailmans "The books of magic" instead, Rowling stole almost anything from it including the owl. She only changed the name of Tim to Harry.
    Gailmans universe (which include Sandman also and Hellblazer) would work better for a MMO.
    Before you bash me, read the first hardback of books of magic and remember that it was made before Potter. The kid even have the same friggin glasses.

HELL YES!! Sadly this generation of gamers can barely sign their name let alone read any long and intelligent comic book series, so Hairy Pooter is far more well known.

While I wouldn't play it I'm sure a Potter MMORPG would be a big money maker. Not a worth while game mind you, but a big money maker.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Actually, Richard Garriott was planning to do a HPO. but EA canceled it a longgggggggggggggg time ago.  Warner Bro's recently bought Turbine, which could mean they are trying to enter into the MMO game.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• ButtoneyesButtoneyes Member Posts: 7

If they make one, I'll be playing that game for eternity.. probably.

• FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120

I wouldn't play it if you were just at Hogwarts throughout the entire game. They should make the Hogwarts portion of the game very, very long, of course...but they should let you explore the rest of the wizarding world and muggle world too.

There should be open pvp, for sure, but with enormous penalites to encourage dark wizards. Azkaban prison :D

Dementors suck your soul(your exp) out for like....5 real life days xD

but only if you're caught by aurors/dementors/willing civilians :P

• MightyBeeMightyBee Member Posts: 43

I am a big Harry Potter fan but I wouldn't play such a game, I guess. How do the developers imagine the storyline? We already know how it ends.

• Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410

Here's how I think it would work:

Create Own Character, No being Harry or any other character from the story. Story characters should be NPC’s.

Choose your school (Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, Durmstrang) and because the last 2 schools didn’t have many details other than what climate they were in, there could be huge potential for the imagination of developers.

Possible stat points at beginning of the game: Transfiguration, Charms, Care For Magical Creatures, Herbology, Potions, Defense Against the Dark Arts, etc. These can correspond to what you want to become once you graduate (ex: Lots of points into Care For Magical Creatures, work with Dragons like Charlie Weasley). An Auror (Dark Wizard Hunter) would be balanced in all these categories, Treasure Hunter would take Ancient Runes/Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Start at your chosen school, be sorted into a house (Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Slytherin if at Hogwarts) –Need a way to do this, simply choosing a house or taking a quiz seems to simple. Possibly have a few pre-sorting quests/mini-quests and based on your actions, this determines which house you will be sorted in? Maybe start the game with you just discovering your magical abilities. You may have to have already kind of chosen a school by this point, as I’d imagine you’d study at the school nearest you so you would have to choose your region/climate/country?

Depending on what school/house you are sorted into, you will have different experiences and access to different places (Houses have different common rooms etc. Slytherin may have more access to dungeons for example). Players can create a few different characters and have a unique experience each time.

As you level, you gain more stat points. Using these stat points will give you access to more classes and more complicated and powerful spells.

PVP in Hogwarts could be a combination of Quidditch and/or Dueling. Quidditch would be multi-player PVP. You would meet friends in the quidditch court, and form a party for a quidditch team. Each player would be assigned a position. Then you would go against a different house.

Dueling could be anywhere from 1v1 PVP to group faction PVP. You would have to challenge another player/team to a duel, or perhaps a randomly selected opponent. You would have to voluntarily duel another person. It would be chaos if people could run around shooting spells at will. Dueling another would not "kill" them (at least not while you’re still in your school) you would duel until one person has defeated or disarmed the other.

Once you graduate, that's where the real fun begins. You can choose a profession, depending on what you "majored" in at your school. Work in the Ministry, become an Auror/Death Eater (or just a Dark Wizard if Voldemort hasn't risen to power yet/has been defeated depending on the timeline of the story), work with Dragons or other Magical Creatures, become a wandmaker and study wandlore, open up a shop in Diagon Alley, etc. All these professions would give you a fully unique experience.