Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com ranking system is EVIL - here's why!

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Over the years I have gained and lost stars like I was some kind of stary loosey gainey type of machine. At times I have acted very badly though and I'm pretty sure about 300 of my post total have been deleted. I remember MikeB trying to explaine it in Technical support Email once. Mike if you are reading, one thing I think I have noticed is that when threads are deleted people seem to loose stars who did nothing wrong. Like for instance If it was a thread that was deleted due to one or two posters beeing out of order then do the other on topic posters in the thread have stras deducted when the thread is removed?  Not sure if this is the case or not? If so and you like your stars then let "Don't feed the Trolls!" become your watchword.:)

Edit* By arcane means it has come to my attention that I have only had 18 posts deleted. This makes me feal a lot better about my self :D

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by spookydom

Over the years I have gained and lost stars like I was some kind of stary loosey gainey type of machine. At times I have acted very badly though and I'm pretty sure about 300 of my post total have been deleted. I remember MikeB trying to explaine it in Technical support Email once. Mike if you are reading, one thing I think I have noticed is that when threads are deleted people seem to loose stars who did nothing wrong. Like for instance If it was a thread that was deleted due to one or two posters beeing out of order then do the other on topic posters in the thread have stras deducted when the thread is removed?  Not sure if this is the case or not? If so and you like your stars then let "Don't feed the Trolls!" become your watchword.:)

If this is happening it absolutely shouldn't. I'll definitely ask and find out. :)

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Today I learned how the star system worked, and thus I wondered how many stars Mario has.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by spookydom

If this is happening it absolutely shouldn't. I'll definitely ask and find out. :)

I am probably wrong, I generaly am. May be worth a look though.:)

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by doragon86

Today I learned how the star system worked, and thus I wondered how many stars Mario has.

Mario is actually a moderator. He stomps goombas all day and so he's always got five stars. :)

• lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

A way to reward others for good posts WOULD be very awesome :P

• SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317

Any system of rating user activitiy should be empirical. It should count the number of posts, even if some are troll attempts.

The reason why is because anything that involves the judgement of others will be more flawed since it will boil down to politics and result in a popularity contest. Someone could decide they don't like you and give you bad ratings everywhere and drive your reputation into the ground.

Maybe a better approachis to use the same system, but call it something closer to what it represents. Instead of stars, or anything that implies reward/punishment, just show the number of posts the person has. That's about as fair as this will ever get.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

I find the hype rating to be laughable.  So many ancient games (while they may be of the highest quality) are hyped up near the top, when they are anything but hyped.

Then you got a game like atlantica online, whos only hype seems to be complaints and an over active community liasion, yet no real "buzz" that would warrent it to be parked between arch age and GW2 (both two game swho really are hyped)

Perhaps a hype rating based on sub forum traffic, posts, and other factors that would signify "hype"

DOing this would also remove the problem of the fact that 60% of the games listed here have too few votes to be hype rated, as my suggested system would be passive and rate those games accordingly to traffic and activity.

Perhaps a secondary, user voted, "ZERG rating" would be needed.  I used the term zerg rated as its nothing more than zerg voting for a game (what the current hype rating is)

that is all

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

There was a period of about 3 weeks when I was working from home and had mmorpg.com open all day every day. By the end of that time I was a full 5 stars. It's not that I wasn't posting - but I wasn't posting a lot. I think you get props if you start threads, but more than that I think you get props if you are just logged in all the time. At least that's the impression I got. A couple weeks later after not logging in much I dropped almost 2 full stars.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• SvartlackadSvartlackad Member Posts: 54

Why does stars matter? Didn't get enough of them in school? O.o

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Originally posted by lunatis

A way to reward others for good posts WOULD be very awesome :P

Why do forum users need rewards for anything?  Does this fit in with the "everyone is a winner" complex that is making society so weak these days?  Nobody needs a reward for punching out some letters and pushing a button.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Yeah I've always been curious about how the star system works. Now I know, I've been a member for a while and I've gone from 1 star to 5 stars to 1 star and back to 5 stars a few times. Over the years I tend to spend more time on this site when I'm between MMOs or when I'm only playing one occasionaly. When I'm really active in an MMO I tend to go to dedicated forums more often and then just visit the sub forum here for that game occasionally in an attempt to bring more people to that game or answer questions. So right now I'm between games and low and behold I have 5 stars.

I need to find a good game so my stars will go back to 1...

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

I never understood the star system.

I usually end up here when I'm in between games. I can go a month without a need to visit this site. When I do, I can't even rate the game that I had just quit.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Yep, its flawed.

The best I can make of the star system is that if you only post positive, fanboish post you will become elite. If you say something that least bit controversial, or god-forbid call someone out on their lunacy, you're dropped more than a few points. I guess as long as we say fanboish things we are allowed to call people trolls(yet we get warnings when we call them a naive fanboy)? Doesn't make sense to me. Seems like double standards to me.

Also, you have to log on every day to gain stars.

I'm not going to say its evil. Its just broke, and works for people who attach to games and rabidly defend them.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

How about a reputation system?

I've always like the idea* of the Steam rep+ button, I think we should have this on top of what's already here, only here it should run a little differently, as in...

1) You only get as many points as you have stars per week and only one star per poster maybe given in a row, per thread, sort of thing.

2) There should also be a rep- which works the same way. - (I’ve even heard that Facebook is getting a Dis-like button)

Adding this will let us know who to take a bit more seriously and who is well really just a troll.

Just a thought.

* I like the idea of it not the way steam actually uses it.

P.S. How do I setup the auto -login again?  :D

I love your idea of a reputation system. It could go on top of the actual "star" system which is mroe based on activity.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by redcap036

I've always like the idea* of the Steam rep+ button, I think we should have this on top of what's already here, only here it should run a little differently, as in...

1) You only get as many points as you have stars per week and only one star per poster maybe given in a row, per thread, sort of thing.

2) There should also be a rep- which works the same way. - (I’ve even heard that Facebook is getting a Dis-like button)

Adding this will let us know who to take a bit more seriously and who is well really just a troll.

Just a thought.

So, trolls are people who you would disagree with?

Let's look at history, and see how many great men were told by the masses they were wrong, but they were actually correct(or vice versa). Didn't Hitler get an entire country to go along with killing millions of innocents? Sorry, but as has been said numerous times on this website the masses are imbeciles.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Just a thought.

No thanks we got that in lotro forums and watch the dog piles happen. Watched certain users gain almost positive status even though they were the most disruptive members of the community, then those users dog piled to get rid of anybody who disagreed with them.  The reputation system can be misused and abused.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Do people honestly need a star system to tell who is a forum warrior from a normal poster, or a fanboi from a troll?

My suggestion is to just ignore the whole star thing, you can easy just read the first two word and you will realise if that person is a troll or not.

We need don't need more numbers and reputation bars, etc we have enough spreadsheets in MMOs lol

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by erictlewis

Just a thought.

No thanks we got that in lotro forums and watch the dog piles happen. Watched certain users gain almost positive status even though they were the most disruptive members of the community, then those users dog piled to get rid of anybody who disagreed with them.  The reputation system can be misused and abused.

This. The DCUO forums have a similar vote feature. All it seemed to be used for is to silence anyone who had any critisism about the game or wanted it changed in any way. Simply, we're not mature enough as internet users to vote on anyones' posts in the MMO genre environment.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Can't beleive there are people who give a toss about these types of things. Get rid of the stars and tags imo, keep the post count though and joined date.

As for a reputation system on these boards lmfao, play a different game to anyone else and the amount of neg rep you'd get would crash the forums. For the most part these boards are a pit of bile, having a different opinion to anyone else is by and large consisered a personal insult to some people who will follow you around reporting anything you post from then on.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Most of us people that hang out here know eachother, at least a bit. We know which posters that always flame the TOR or GW2 forum, we know who is a fanboi or not. 

The star system is just a little fluff, don't take it too serious. :)

Edit: Post 8500? I really need a life....

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by Loke666

Most of us people that hang out here know eachother, at least a bit. We know which posters that always flame the TOR or GW2 forum, we know who is a fanboi or not. 

The star system is just a little fluff, don't take it too serious. :)

Edit: Post 8500? I really need a life....

This. Besides, if it was in any way accurate, my star rating would be a 6 by now for my 400 replies on the "10,000 or GW2" post.

Not to shock anyone the reputation system could just be a mix of how long you have been a member versus how many "This post was interesting" someone gets (i.e. thumb up or kudos system), and also how many good posts you do on a short amount of time.

All that together in different % value could account for a ratio that would be 1,2,3,4 or 5 thumbs, and if you go up of rank a lot in a week you'd get the Thumb on fire icon!

It could be better to avoid thumbs down, there's already a way to report trolls so it's fine that way.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Originally posted by lunatis

If you think the STARS system and TITLE system is flawed, say Hay! otherwise say Nay!, and explain why!

I consider myself an adept. I have been subscribed for many years, I visit the website regularly (mostly every day), I post regularly in the forums when I feel like it. I update my profile once in a while, but all that doesn't matter.

Apparently the only time that my status went up to Hardcore member is when I started a trolling thread and everyone replied to it. My status went like BOOM.

Anything else? Doesn't matter.

I'm saying this because, what's the point of having a star system if it's only based on the mass forum trolling?

It should also be based on how often you visit the site,how many news you've read, do you hype some games or not, do you update your profile, etc...

Whatdo you think? Hay or Nay?

I must admit that until today i never really cared for rank and what it depends on. It was by a chance that i really noticed people with same join date like me but unlike me, they had like 1000-2000 posts and only novice/apprentice rank [1-2 stars i guess].

Somehow i managed to get 5 stars "elite member" without even knowing it. Still not sure how exactly rank is determined but it doesn't really bother me nor i care for the ammount of stars under my sig. MMORPG.com could scrap the idea entirely and i wouldn't mind it either.

I haven't trolled, i didn't participate in flame wars or anything. All i can say is just ignore the rank and be a happy forumite.