Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The problem with APB, reloaded or rehashed.

ElmorenElmoren Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 110

The game is quite frankly too small - you're doing the same thing at rank 1 that you do at every rank after it.  Sure, you get better guns.  Most do the same thing at different ranges.  Most 'pro' players will snipe you with a pistol then spray you down with an SMG. 

Two districts, running around, sometimes not shooting anyone - while you complete objectives for... more guns... to complete objectives with?  You see everything there is to see the first 10 hours of game play.

The game needs new missions, new types of play (Why is slayer or deathmatch not a queueable type on an appropriate map?  Are these people allergic to money or success?)

Missions are boring and repetitive, spawn positions make little to no sense at all, and consequently end up favoring the team that has more people on it.

Matchmaking is fun, however uneven teams in objective-based FPS games aren't fun when one team has an extra person to stand on a location with.

Hacking is nowhere near the problem it used to be. 

The lack of a developed controller support is inexcusable in a game released since 1995.

They can fix what the have now, and they have done an outstanding job of that.  However, the game as it currently exists needs to be expanded upon GREATLY, otherwise players will lose interest for better FPS's and move on quickly. 

It's fun, while it lasts - but that fun feeling quickly fades away due to the repetition and lack of variable game play.

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

Comments

• Hellrazor27Hellrazor27 Member Posts: 55

RP mode on !  'U mad bro?"

RP mode off!

To some extent I can agree about the missions being pretty much the same ( thought there are a lot of different types of them ).You must remember that its still in beta and for now insted of adding things they are trying to balance things ( matchmaking,weapns, cars......), after they feel they have the balance they want there going to add a few game modes ( they already talked about this on the forums ) like races games,all out DM and one other I can remember right now.

In comparision to when RTW had it the game has come a long way and hopefully will continue to do so.I think for being a F2P game and being that it does take 'skill' to do well it's great and a nice break from 'grind' games that have been comming out.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Besides the reptitive missions, the combat and driving was like playing GTA in molasses the last time I tried it.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by Elmoren

The game is quite frankly too small - you're doing the same thing at rank 1 that you do at every rank after it.  Sure, you get better guns.  Most do the same thing at different ranges.  Most 'pro' players will snipe you with a pistol then spray you down with an SMG. 

Two districts, running around, sometimes not shooting anyone - while you complete objectives for... more guns... to complete objectives with?  You see everything there is to see the first 10 hours of game play.

The game needs new missions, new types of play (Why is slayer or deathmatch not a queueable type on an appropriate map?  Are these people allergic to money or success?)

Missions are boring and repetitive, spawn positions make little to no sense at all, and consequently end up favoring the team that has more people on it.

Matchmaking is fun, however uneven teams in objective-based FPS games aren't fun when one team has an extra person to stand on a location with.

Hacking is nowhere near the problem it used to be. 

The lack of a developed controller support is inexcusable in a game released since 1995.

They can fix what the have now, and they have done an outstanding job of that.  However, the game as it currently exists needs to be expanded upon GREATLY, otherwise players will lose interest for better FPS's and move on quickly. 

It's fun, while it lasts - but that fun feeling quickly fades away due to the repetition and lack of variable game play.

I read your comments & they can pretty much be applied to any multiplayer first & third person shooter, except in the case of the later you play a fixed map with fixed objectives every time and after a while you know exactly where the choke points are, where that sniper will be camping and how to deal with them. To me what makes these games interesting however is the other players. Just over the weekend enforcers had used several dumptrucks to actively roadblock a major thoroughfare in the waterfront instance I was in which was causing everyone else to take a longer route around, its that kinda stuff players do which I find makes the world interesting.

Sure I guess if you look at it compared to other MMO's it lacks content in terms of world to explore and variety of things to do (being able to walk into stores/banks and rob them ala saints row 2 would be nice to see added) but the living world of each district, the driving and the changing mission locations (which do become familiar after a while but so do locations in any MMO) does set it apart from the rather static maps and limited gameplay of normal FPS/TPS games.

I dont get your comments re-deathmatch/slayer mode, every mission is a potential deathmatch game to me but oh well.

Team balance & matchmaking is still being tweaked, as are spawns (IMHO only waterfront has crap spawns now) new district is being worked on and in the current roadmap to end of June they plan to add extra mission types & racing missions/racing modes also. Remember the game is still an Open Beta and by no means final, hell what is final in MMO's these days ? nothing because the teams are constantly fiddling.

Here is the roadmap to end of June anyway: http://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/p/apb-development-road-maps.html

• dajabbadajabba Member Posts: 25

I agree with The Crow.  How is your description any different than other shooters?  I think APB is fun the way it is.  It could use more gamemodes for sure, but I am having a lot of fun just going up against different people.  I LOVE being outnumbered, it gives me more targets to shoot at, and therefore more kills.  You just have to be a little bit more patient and plan your attack accordingly.  This game makes me think a lot more than other shooters, maybe because I do not know the map from top to bottom yet, and I love unlocking new weapons because I have little trouble killing "pros" with newbie weapons.  I love the customization, and being able to sell your creations.  But I do agree, it could definately benefit from a little more spice to appeal to more audiences.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

I agree with the OP, the gameworld is incredibly small and the gameplay is extremely limited. I found both versions of the game to be fun for a few days and after that it got boring.

But it's f2p so can't complain too much.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

as of late i find the only enjoyment out of APB now is if you have a really good group or spend all day in the social painting junk.. crim is insanely easy to level which makes it over populated and boring. one day i ran around with a group of 4 doing spraying missions without a single enforcer around.. 

i think the district was like 30 vs 10 O_o which really kills the game even more then the repeating of the same boring missions... go here... burn/hack/steal that... drop it here... go back and do it again... OH we found u enemies... but wait... they outnumber you, or out rank you or are one of the few groups of cheaters ingame that are aimboting/wallhacking.... 

there really should be some sort of NPC force to fight with/against when the district hasnt enough players, i dont generally join the 50/50 districts are i find i lag alot more on those areas which is rather odd when i can play with almost no lag on a 20/20 or less of the same district 40/40 -50/50 i get way lower FPS/higher lag. 

the game reminds me too much of warrock... the guns are insanely inaccruate, a rifle you would assume should hit the target you aim at atleast 1 in 3 shots hits maybe 1 in 10 which is crappy when you have a mag of 20 rounds maybe... and need 4 or more hits to kill the guy (and no its not my skill, playing old school AA i can get marksmen with an M16) i know the game is arcade but i would like to assume if its got guns... they are atleast balanced and actually realistic in that a rifle does not spray like buckshot. 

all in all the game is enjoyable somewhat... if you just play to shoot people and not really care if you win the mission or not, crim is more enjoyable as you can drive by npcs and just shoot or run them over unlike the cops.. (they need a crim npc so cops can drive by them too >>")

and ya i totally agree it needs more mission modes besides , stop this guy(s) hack this/steal that/burn them.... or prevent that...

24hrs you have already done every mission in the game atleast twice... the only thing that changes is where the target spawns (which can be altered by blowing it up.... like the heart transplant ambulance blow it up, it relocates >>")

• dajabbadajabba Member Posts: 25

You are aware that you can CHANGE instances right?  Where you choose your district, there is a tab that says instances, you can check the populations for each instance, as well as enforcer/crim count.  There are always a few maxed out.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

Originally posted by dajabba

You are aware that you can CHANGE instances right?  Where you choose your district, there is a tab that says instances, you can check the populations for each instance, as well as enforcer/crim count.  There are always a few maxed out.

i know that, not sure if others do. like i said in my own post. i dont generally join the heavy populated districts as i find my FPS/lag is much worse in the 40/40 zones then the 20-30 grouping areas.  while grouping is harder the lower populated you go, it makes driving a hell of a lot easier when you arent jittering across the road do to lag. (i frankly cant understand why i lag anyway, setting APB to low/off on everything from the default my system set it but owell)