Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Sony Hacked again!!

Comments

• KalmarthKalmarth Lake Havasu City, AZPosts: 443Member

Originally posted by Belight

It's karma for what they did to SWG...

/agree

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon

evolution cant occur without casualties. such is the way of progress. happens in life all the time. Animal testing for vaccines and medical treatments? what are they followed by? Human testing. rarely these tests are harming the volunteers. yet the tests were not trying to do so...it just happened to.

similarly the hacker wasnt targetting the players, he was targetting Sony. The player may or may not be suffering. How many people have actually had their accounts destroyd by this information leak? sure, safety is compromised but does this really 'hurt' them? its possible but not guaranteed. it hurts the company's image though.

I dont think the 'victim players' are suffering as much as you say by your comparisons with car accidents and bank robberies.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Posts: 7,826Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Malickie

I think it's pretty obvious it won't stop. Not until these guys are caught anyway.

I was referring to the PSN/SOE breach. I didn't see many posting about the victims in that situation, only the holder of said account info (Sony), TBH I find it rather distasteful. Maybe I'm being harsh with that, but to me it seems people are championing what went down. Nothing seems right about that to me.

There are responsible ways to hurt a company, this isn't one of them.

I don't think this is a case of some small group of people attacking sony, but lots of different groups.  Word has spread that Sonys network wasn't properly secured and is easy pickings, so hackers are focusing on it.

I don't really see people cheering on the hackers for being standup people and the people complaining about the soe hack are the victoms.  Sure people are not in the least bit surprised this happened to SOE.

It isn't like SOE has been a company that puts their customers care as a high priority or that they go out of their way to make good relations with their customers.  That same level of care is showing through in their lack of concern for their security of their customers personal information.  The only reason we are victoms in this situation is because Sony/SOE was not concerned enough to do even basic level security on their network.  They have shown almost complete disregard for security and continue to run half assed.  As if staying online is more important than fixing their problems, but again that is something they have historically done.

Hopefully someone will catch the hackers and then we can focus some aggression towards them. 

• QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common

The sliver lining here is that now companies, or atleast Sony, will take their server security more seriously like they should. Yes, releasing private information to the public is a bummer, but remember that Sony had a chance to improve their security a year ago when the hackers had discovered the weaknessess and informed Sony about them. They just didn't listen then, I bet they listen now.

Another thing is that while other companies hired crackers to improve the security of their systems, Sony went on a manhunt. Hackers lashed out in response and I bet Sony is regretting that decision by now.

Many posters are guilty of over-dramatizing this matter. This is nothing as serious as stealing a baby and then watching it drown for instance. Not even close.

In short, hackers are not the devil and Sony is definitely not the victim here. I see only good coming out of this in the future - although I don't care if Sony keels over or not.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• GMan3GMan3 Ewa Beach, HIPosts: 2,127Member

Personally, I would like to see SOE fined so heavily that the world economies could rebound off the gains.  Then I would like to see these hackers caught, tried in a court of law and then jailed for a time equal to one day for each person they subjected to risk by posting there information on the web.  From what I read I guess that would amount to about a million days.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• jpnzjpnz SydneyPosts: 3,529Member

Originally posted by Quirhid

The sliver lining here is that now companies, or atleast Sony, will take their server security more seriously like they should. Yes, releasing private information to the public is a bummer, but remember that Sony had a chance to improve their security a year ago when the hackers had discovered the weaknessess and informed Sony about them. They just didn't listen then, I bet they listen now.

Another thing is that while other companies hired crackers to improve the security of their systems, Sony went on a manhunt. Hackers lashed out in response and I bet Sony is regretting that decision by now.

Many posters are guilty of over-dramatizing this matter. This is nothing as serious as stealing a baby and then watching it drown for instance. Not even close.

In short, hackers are not the devil and Sony is definitely not the victim here. I see only good coming out of this in the future - although I don't care if Sony keels over or not.

Not sure if  'security' will be taken seriously by other companies. Some will but some won't.

Heck, even Sony themselves didn't take it seriously with this new hack!

Totally get that they are different but they all fall under the 'Sony' brand, one assumes that some of them actually watches the news and go, 'systems within the same company as us just got hacked! maybe we should check ours?'.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• vonslashavonslasha ashville, NCPosts: 31Member

after the destroying of SWG i hope sony goes out of buisness

• HoplitesHoplites SpartaPosts: 463Member

I don't classify what the hackers are doing against Sony as hacktivism as I think it is moving towards severe criminal activity.  But it does expose how we put too much trust in these corporations with our info, which they sell to make even more money on top of our sub (No surprise the F2P movement has picked up steam over the years).  

• LocklainLocklain Crandon, WIPosts: 2,154Member

Originally posted by Hoplites

I don't classify what the hackers are doing against Sony as hacktivism as I think it is moving towards severe criminal activity.  But it does expose how we put too much trust in these corporations with our info, which they sell to make even more money on top of our sub (No surprise the F2P movement has picked up steam over the years).  

Exactly, if they want to be some kind of martyr maybe they should think more about the people they are releasing the personal info of.  You have made your point, why harm the customers?

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||
    image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Calgary, ABPosts: 2,156Member
  • stevengwstevengw LondonderryPosts: 53Member

Has 1 of you even thought that it might be microsoft doing this?

Stores are being inondated with folk trading in PS3's, Xbox sales have shot through the roof..!

But "Sony stored over 1,000,000 passwords of its customers in plaintext!" the hackers stated.

Next Sony will be asking the tax payers for a bail out package!

The hackers even have a tweet ffs.

http://twitter.com/#!/lulzsec

Here is your data!

http://pastebin.com/Y38gCS82

• sungodrasungodra San Francisco, CAPosts: 1,376Member

Originally posted by stevengw

Stores are being inondated with folk trading in PS3's, Xbox sales have shot through the roof..!

But "Sony stored over 1,000,000 passwords of its customers in plaintext!" the hackers stated.

The hackers even have a tweet ffs.

http://twitter.com/#!/lulzsec

Here is your data!

http://pastebin.com/Y38gCS82

The thought has struck me that it could be some big competitor company that has employed hackers to bring sony  down.

Microsoft doesn't sound too far off.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Calgary, ABPosts: 2,156Member

God I hope they don't, since they didn't take this threat seriously to begin with.

• GemmaGemma Omaha, NEPosts: 337Member

Originally posted by Shoju

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I wish those hackers were shot and burn in hell.

All your personal data and info all over the net ffs...

Agreed.  It is one thing to have a beef against a company and desire to do them harm, but fucking over the general public sucks ass. 

Yes, when you start to endanger people, you've gone too far. I don't understand what they're proving by releasing information. Obviously they want to turn people away from Sony, but this is NOT the way to go about it.

• CorkCorkCorkCorkCorkCork SingaporePosts: 70Member

Man, I don't play Sony's games. Never at all in my lifetime ! I don't have a strong liking or hate for them, but it seems like they have taken a lot of shit over the years ! And I decently believe that the links below maybe one (far-fetched ?) possible reason why they were hacked !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystere_incident

http://stationblog.wordpress.com/2006/02/16/virtual-jail/

http://www.gamegrene.com/node/41

http://www.planetcrap.com/topics/153/

http://amplicate.com/hate/sony-online-entertainment

http://amplicate.com/love/sony-online-entertainment

Also. From the deepest darkest corners of the internet, I bring you these links too.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/EverQuest_II

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/EverQuest

http://mirror.uncyc.org/wiki/Star_wars_galaxies

Whenever you are really bored and don't wanna play an MMO game, go to: http://librivox.org/

Hey hey hey heeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy.......

• jmsgallajmsgalla Steubenville, OHPosts: 271Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Belight

In the long run and big picture those low life hackers who deserve a bullet are doing you a favor. It's technological growing pains.

Keep giving your identity away to mega corporations who don't care an ounce about you and see what happens.

These companies are mining data. Why do they need your address and phone number on record? Why do grocery stores only offer you fair prices if you use their littel cards that store all your personal info? .

So they can make geographic consumer reports to improve their profits... They view as cattle... A cash crop to be monitored and exploited. They don't even have the respect to secure the info they've collected from you.

Personally I find the whole thing hilarious.

These assholes are the type of people that we have to worry about our information's security.  It is amazing to see the complete ignorance of some of the posters on these boards.  Think about WHY we need to worry about keeping that information safe in the first place.  Is it because or marketing research?  No.   Is it because of hackers stealing your information and making it public or misusing it?  Yes.  

Make no mistakes.  It's not the company who has put the users in the current situation.  It is the hackers.  Regardless of the security measures in place, without these assholes we wouldn't have to worry about the security in the first place. 

• KalafaxKalafax Gainesville, FLPosts: 522Member Uncommon

If your still messing around with SoE, then you shoulda known this was coming sooner or later, SoE has been pissing gamers and hackers off for a long time, and once Sony came out and said hackers couldnt touch them, I knew they were done for. The hackers will get the most blame for this, tho its clearly Sonys fault, they need to close their doors already.

P.S. Whos dumb enough to store their personal information with the companys? Every company these days has an option to remove your information after paying for your subscription so you never have to store your info with them, if you choose not to do that, its your own fault.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• baldernonobaldernono Cosne sur LoirePosts: 94Member

I just can't believe passwords were stored in "plaintext". Even my poor php/mysql hash the password

The main problem in my opinion is not that password is encrypted or not. The main problem is they managed to access these data !!

• Daffid011Daffid011 Posts: 7,826Member Uncommon

Sony was doing just fine on its own by pissing off hackers, PS3 customers and failing to secure their own network.  Microsoft not only would be in serious shit if they got caught being involved in this, but they really didn't need to do anything except sit back and watch Sony implode.

• jmsgallajmsgalla Steubenville, OHPosts: 271Member Uncommon

Originally posted by baldernono

I just can't believe passwords were stored in "plaintext". Even my poor php/mysql hash the password

The main problem in my opinion is not that password is encrypted or not. The main problem is they managed to access these data !!

The main problem is that these hackers are accessing this data.  End of story.  Without these hackers, security wouldn't be a concern.  Why do people dance around the fundamental reason that there has to be security in the first place?   Make no mistakes, the hackers are the ONLY ones responsible for the problems of those who have had their information leaked.  Nothing is completely secure when it's online.  There will always be a way to hack networks.  It's the hackers that take the time and dedicate themselves to hacking the networks that are the problem. 

Personally, I would love to see them put on terrorrist lists and hunted for life until they are caught.  Once found, handle them BinLaden style (how do ya spell that?  lol).  They want to make examples of a company, well make an example out of them as well.

I'm not too concerned about my info being stolen, because there isn't much they can do with my identity.  Unless they want around 50k in medical bills and 25k in school loans, then go for it.  I only got hit for around 500 bucks with the last hack which was all refunded to me.  However, the day I found out about the hacked account I ended up in the ER for cardiac problems.  I spent a week in the hospital having various tests done before I was shipped via ambulance to OSU MC's cardiac center in Columbus.  So while I'm getting poked and prodded and prepped for a cardiac procedure I have to worry about taking care of my bank account so I'm not out the 500 bucks. 

People will argue that the user's aren't "hurt", but make no mistakes the real vicitms are the users.  Companies bring in large sums of money and loose large sums of money.  It's what they do and they have ways to recover.  How about the average working person?  500 bucks may not be much but it's a lot more of a dent in my account than a small dip in profits to the large corporations. 

Am I pissed off about the hackers?  Yep.   Do I want more justice than is deserved?  Yep. 

That doesn't change the fact that the primary problem isn't a user's password, it isn't how hard a company is to hack into, it isn't how that information is encrypted, it is the people who set out to obtain that information and misuse it.  WIthout these assholes we wouldn't need the security in the first place.  End of story.

• FilterheadzFilterheadz BuzauPosts: 127Member

Microsoft =))

gotta lov em

• killion81killion81 A City, MIPosts: 985Member Uncommon

Originally posted by jmsgalla

Originally posted by baldernono

The main problem is that these hackers are accessing this data.  End of story.  Without these hackers, security wouldn't be a concern.  Why do people dance around the fundamental reason that there has to be security in the first place?   Make no mistakes, the hackers are the ONLY ones responsible for the problems of those who have had their information leaked.  Nothing is completely secure when it's online.  There will always be a way to hack networks.  It's the hackers that take the time and dedicate themselves to hacking the networks that are the problem. 

Personally, I would love to see them put on terrorrist lists and hunted for life until they are caught.  Once found, handle them BinLaden style (how do ya spell that?  lol).  They want to make examples of a company, well make an example out of them as well.

I'm not too concerned about my info being stolen, because there isn't much they can do with my identity.  Unless they want around 50k in medical bills and 25k in school loans, then go for it.  I only got hit for around 500 bucks with the last hack which was all refunded to me.  However, the day I found out about the hacked account I ended up in the ER for cardiac problems.  I spent a week in the hospital having various tests done before I was shipped via ambulance to OSU MC's cardiac center in Columbus.  So while I'm getting poked and prodded and prepped for a cardiac procedure I have to worry about taking care of my bank account so I'm not out the 500 bucks. 

People will argue that the user's aren't "hurt", but make no mistakes the real vicitms are the users.  Companies bring in large sums of money and loose large sums of money.  It's what they do and they have ways to recover.  How about the average working person?  500 bucks may not be much but it's a lot more of a dent in my account than a small dip in profits to the large corporations. 

Am I pissed off about the hackers?  Yep.   Do I want more justice than is deserved?  Yep. 

That doesn't change the fact that the primary problem isn't a user's password, it isn't how hard a company is to hack into, it isn't how that information is encrypted, it is the people who set out to obtain that information and misuse it.  WIthout these assholes we wouldn't need the security in the first place.  End of story.

Not that I agree with the approach taken by the hackers, but if companies didn't data mine their customers, security wouldn't be needed either.  Put a large amount of valuable "assets" in one place and someone is going to try and take them.  If it wasn't the case, banks wouldn't need vaults, jewelry and electronics stores wouldn't need security measures and websites wouldn't need to secure customer information.  Yeah, humans suck for the most part... we are opportunistic, morally lacking and vindictive, petty creatures (for the most part).  However, that is the way it is and it doesn't look like it will change soon.  Someone or some company willfully ignoring that is at fault as well.  To what degree, I don't know, but certainly they share in the blame.

Originally posted by Dalgor

If your still messing around with SoE, then you shoulda known this was coming sooner or later, SoE has been pissing gamers and hackers off for a long time, and once Sony came out and said hackers couldnt touch them, I knew they were done for. The hackers will get the most blame for this, tho its clearly Sonys fault, they need to close their doors already.

P.S. Whos dumb enough to store their personal information with the companys? Every company these days has an option to remove your information after paying for your subscription so you never have to store your info with them, if you choose not to do that, its your own fault.

When did sony come out and say hackers can't touch them? If anything , that is the reason why they are getting hacked.

• KalafaxKalafax Gainesville, FLPosts: 522Member Uncommon

All this wha wha wha hackers are bad and shouldnt do this is a load of bullcrap, since what 3 or 4 decades now most gamers have been hackers its just the way of the world, and I bet these hackers WERE Sony gamers, before Sony ruinned themselves their games and tried to act all big and bad.

Hackers have been here, always have, always will, you notice they didnt get any attention for decades, untill now, they've gotten fed up with the BS spewing forth from this company and the Taunting by a particular company, so they answered back!

Guess people are finally getting a wake up call that the internet isnt secure, it never has been, but they just didnt have blind proof so they've just tried to stay oblivious. If it can be made, it can be hacked, just accept it, it sucks if your information got put on the web, but all you have to do it go and change your info, when Sony finally closes it wont be an issue anymore.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Originally posted by Dalgor

All this wha wha wha hackers are bad and shouldnt do this is a load of bullcrap, since what 3 or 4 decades now most gamers have been hackers its just the way of the world, and I bet these hackers WERE Sony gamers, before Sony ruinned themselves their games and tried to act all big and bad.

Hackers have been here, always have, always will, you notice they didnt get any attention for decades, untill now, they've gotten fed up with the BS spewing forth from this company and the Taunting by a particular company, so they answered back!

Guess people are finally getting a wake up call that the internet isnt secure, it never has been, but they just didnt have blind proof so they've just tried to stay oblivious. If it can be made, it can be hacked, just accept it, it sucks if your information got put on the web, but all you have to do it go and change your info, when Sony finally closes it wont be an issue anymore.

Spoken like a true hacker.

What if, as a result of this data leak somebody, it might be you,  falls victom to financial fraud?    That is my biggest concern here.

I couldn't give a rats ass about my SOE account, or any other sony account I have. Just my info that could be used to start bank accounts, credit cards, cell phone accounts,  checks, and whatever have you.