Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Me and My MMOs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In today's Player Perspectives column, readers get a rare inside look at the MMOs that have shaped those perspectives for MMORPG.com columnist Isabelle Parsley. They've winked and snuggled and finally drawn her into their ever-lovin' arms. Read on to see which MMOs have captured Iz's attention and heart over the years and then let us know what you think!

Oh, I forgot to mention a couple of short but torrid affairs with EVE; we’ve had this on-again, off-again thing going since 2003 or 2004. I took her out a few times, she took me out a time or two, but while we really want to like each other I just don’t think we’re compatible for more than brief flings. She’s just a bit too spiky for me: every now and then she’ll turn around and kick my ass, or ambush me by the door when I come in, and although I know it’s not personal, it’s not really my thing.

Read more of Isabelle Parsley's Player Perspectives: Me & My MMOs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Well done Isabelle. I had chuckles. Although just from reading your columns we know about most of these relationships, especially your first love Asheron's Call. Very cute piece.

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

Very good piece. Lots of imagination! Congratulations!

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Hah, I enjoyed the 6 hours picking something to wear for CoH... so true :P

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

That was a fun read. :)   Some of my favorite MMOs are there - EVE, AC, Vanguard.  I had a blast with vanguard, but she wanted to get too serious too fast, and I just wasn't ready for that kind of commitment at that time. AC was the coolest wildcat to spend a night with. There's nothing like getting together with your favorite MMO and when you ask "What do you want to do tonight," she replies with:

"Let's jump off a fucking mountain! Even better, let's get butt naked and go run across the dires to see how far we get before we die. BRING FRIENDS!"

She was this adventurous drunk hippychick who seemed to believe that which doesn't kill you simply isn't worth the time.

Warhammer sounds like it was just a rebound thing. *shrug* it happens.

"She’s all about the stuff, and I’m really only pretending to be interested in it at this point."  World of Warcraft comes up a lot as a favorite "Looty Call" for those times when gamers are looking for a bit of fun and prefer an old fling that they have something in common with rather than a new stranger or someone with strings.

I see an afternoon of Patron and AC in my near future, and by 'near future' I mean 'in about two hours.'

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

that wa a solid proof: i agree, MMOs are female, no doubt.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

This made laugh until I stopped (Monty Python reference). Really nailed it on most of them. Kind of summed it up nicely on WoW, it's about the stuff.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Great read :)

I've done the same as you with WOW having went back to it a few times over the years, but truth be told it's just getting old now and once my sub runs out I dont know if I'll ever go back. 

The hunt is already on for something new and fresh :)

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Very nicely done, that had me chuckling from the get-go.

• dodsfalldodsfall Member UncommonPosts: 173

That has to be the winner of the creepiest blog post of the day.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Will GW2 be your mistress on the side of your main mmorpg?! Ref: quoting Cyphers.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Hilarious -- very nice work. I totally understand the relationship thing too!  Thanks for the good read!

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

LoL very cute. Was fun to read, had a smile the whole time. Pretty much hit the nails on the head.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Very cute. Well written!

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• WaizerWaizer Member Posts: 125

like the article, had a few giggles reading it :)

• AriesianAriesian Member UncommonPosts: 20

Nicely done. Glad I read it.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I love this article.

Really well said!

BTW, TSW's an intellectual lass. Oh she loves her sports and combat but she expects a solid conversation too. If you can't hold your own in the ring while chatting it up over the phone to the book club, don't even ask for her number.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Also, article could have totally used some golddigger references for some of the P2W's and WoW

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• YsharrosYsharros Member Posts: 87

@Deathofsage - I was already courting my wordcount limit and then some ;)

Shame, too, because I had a lot of other stuff I could have said about these games. Still not sure TSW is the kind you can bring home to Mom: you never know when she's going to get all squamous and start speaking in tongues...

• QworgQworg Member Posts: 23

This literally got me back to posting on the site just to comment after a few years of loose flings during the dark hours most of us often try to forget but this is a gem in a sea of rocks generally masquarading as jewels.

Thank you Isabelle. A brilliant piece of writing.

P.S.

There's a mispelling in your caricature description of Isabella instead of Isabelle.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Very well written and very entertaining! Enjoyed it thoroughly.

The "communication issues" bit about AC2 was very well-played.... sadly as it's so true.

Would definitely enjoy future columns in that style.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Thank you for the entertainment,very well written wish I had that talent.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I really enjoyed this one.  Good read and it made me think back to my old gaming girl friends.  :p  

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

What a great fun read!   Well done!

• LogansanLogansan Member UncommonPosts: 45

Replace Asheron’s Call with Everquest and drop Star Wars Galaxies (a girl I was never interested in) and this could also be my story.

The only difference would be the ending, I’m back with my true love again – City of Heroes. No matter how often I leave her for someone else she knows that given time I’ll come running back to her again. She has everything I want, pretty, a good personality, not stuck-up like some and just the right type of popular. True she can seem to be a bit stagnate at time, but recently she has become much more adventurist and we are trying a lot of new things together.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

:)