Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

J.Song Speech about Archeage and philosophies behind it

YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

http://www.mmoculture.com/2011/06/archeage-korea-wow-was-inspiration.html

While its just a summary, it offers quite a lot of inside-view on what and how Archeage wants to accomplish. And I think the man hits the right points - restrictions through the years have demolished the whole "massively" part of mmo, the whole unpredictable dynamic fact that you are just a part of a HUGE whole.

I also liked this part:

If questing, storyline, characters and lore becomes a game's main features, the game will not last long as the developers do not have the time and resources to catch up with players' consumption of in-game content.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
# A MASKED CRY ADORING
# A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Comments

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Simply wow, his speech stated a LOT of things I have said about mmorpgs, and where they will be headed to in the future.

He is dead right. This makes me now even MORE interested in Archeage.

Let's put back the MASSIVE in MMORPGS!

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Also the part where he says that its crucial for mmo to have all the features it advertises at launch also inspires me with confidence.

The man has been in mmo genre business since Lineage 1, he knows his stuff and he knows what is needed.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

If Mr. Song is not so keen on the current themepark method of trying to produce content and keep up with player consumption of said content, then he certainly has my attention. As I see it the only other obvious choice is the sandbox method in which you provide the tools (structure building, ship building, expansive craft system, farming, fishing, land onwership, actual systems for diplomacy and allinaces/wars instead of leaving it up to the players to "RP" etc., etc.) for players to manufacture their own content.

The only thing I've read so far that gives me pause with Mr. Song and AA is they haven't taken a firm stance on crafted items versus item drops. With the world they are described so far  that they are building it would seem that crafted items being the best is the most obvious/practical path to take, with item drops being components utilized in all manner of crafting.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Khalathwyr
    If Mr. Song is not so keen on the current themepark method of trying to produce content and keep up with player consumption of said content, then he certainly has my attention. As I see it the only other obvious choice is the sandbox method in which you provide the tools (structure building, ship building, expansive craft system, farming, fishing, land onwership, actual systems for diplomacy and allinaces/wars instead of leaving it up to the players to "RP" etc., etc.) for players to manufacture their own content.
    The only thing I've read so far that gives me pause with Mr. Song and AA is they haven't taken a firm stance on crafted items versus item drops. With the world they are described so far  that they are building it would seem that crafted items being the best is the most obvious/practical path to take, with item drops being components utilized in all manner of crafting.

They already said in the interview previously that Crafted items triumph over quest items and normal drops and that stronger bosses can drop a bit better items as well as important crafting materials.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by Yuui

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

They already said in the interview previously that Crafted items triumph over quest items and normal drops and that stronger bosses can drop a bit better items as well as important crafting materials.

Good deal. Thanks for  the info. Learning more every day and liking what I hear.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Very good article. Thanks for the read and my interest has increased.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

My only real concern is click to move. If thats the only movement option, im gonna be bummed.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by Foomerang

My only real concern is click to move. If thats the only movement option, im gonna be bummed.

it have both click to move and wasd

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by Foomerang

WASD works just as well as in any other game. :)