Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If I buy EvE; will someone be so kind to teach me how this game works?

chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Hi all.

I have tried this game lots and lots of times. Usually I give up within few hrs, sometimes even less. I am very fascinated by it's design, how large it is and with all it's politics I keep reading/hearing about. Each time I have left it discouraged because the game really doesn't seem to deliver. It is just overwhelming to me. I do belive, or fear though, that I am missing something great here.

But where to start? I am considering downloading the game from Steam, as it does not cost that much in case I drop out again; I have only tried some EvE trials before; thus not given it my full attention. I figured if i buy it AND if I was so lucky that someone could help me get started, I might be a good asset for the game, and maybe I could find "the" thing I am missing in this MMO life I am living.

Anyone who have some tips or maybe could be my mentor if I buy this game?

Sincerely; Chris.

PS; if we can use Skype or something similar for this, it would be great.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Comments

• ZoobiZoobi Member UncommonPosts: 115

I good start would be to buy some Game Time Codes from the eve website. You can then sell these in game for in game cash. Then toodle off to the character bazaar and buy yourself a character with about 20million skilpoints. With the in game cash and new toon-out-of-a-box you can get down to the serious business of having fun (getting blown up).

Or you can spend 2 years or so skilling up a new toon and really getting to the know the game. Find a helpful corp that'll show teach you how to play while you dream of all those internet spaecships you cant fly yet .. :-)

• TabmoweTabmowe Member UncommonPosts: 36

Look at applying to Eve Uni,,its a huge training corp dedicated to helping new players.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Originally posted by Zoobi

I good start would be to buy some Game Time Codes from the eve website. You can then sell these in game for in game cash. Then toodle off to the character bazaar and buy yourself a character with about 20million skilpoints. With the in game cash and new toon-out-of-a-box you can get down to the serious business of having fun (getting blown up).

Or you can spend 2 years or so skilling up a new toon and really getting to the know the game. Find a helpful corp that'll show teach you how to play while you dream of all those internet spaecships you cant fly yet .. :-)

First option yes! How much does this cost, and when you say "buy a character", do I still keep my own characters name, or how does this work?

Originally posted by Tabmowe

Look at applying to Eve Uni,,its a huge training corp dedicated to helping new players.

I am not 'that' interested in joining a corp immediately. Some guilds/corps I have been into are strict, non-personal, lots of rules and god knows not what they are. I will definately not go well with some 14 year old kid yelling out orders. I will enter for the fun. But if that's the only option there is, well then it seem so I need do it.

With 200.000 accounts I had "some" hope there could be someone "here" who could give me som helping hand when I got started instead of jumping into a huge newbie corp.

I think the character comes as-is. No refinement is possible. I reckon your best course of action would be to join a decent corp, then buy a toon as they'll be able to advise you and what to look for in an off-the-shelf-toon. This will, of course, take some time investment as well as RL cash and research on your part :-)

I think the character comes as-is. No refinement is possible. I reckon your best course of action would be to join a decent corp, then buy a toon as they'll be able to advise you and what to look for in an off-the-shelf-toon. This will, of course, take some time investment as well as RL cash and research on your part :-)

Thanks. Will look into this part then.

Any other good advice for me, as I am aiming purely for PvP?

• AmbassadorDvinnAmbassadorDvinn Member UncommonPosts: 339

Meh.  You have to try to have fun - it definitely doesn't find you.  And by try I mean "try real hard".

Serious death penalties makes every close call an adrenaline rush, and every minor achievement a major victory. This alternative rule-set should be in all MMORPGs.

Get used to being blown up. It's just like getting fragged in an FPS.

Fly what you can easily replace.

Never fully trust anyone in the game, and I mean anyone.

Good advices, will remember them!

Any particular race i should go for considering I will aim for PvP? I saw a tutorial that described a race that has some shield regeneration with torpedos or rockets. I was thinking about that one. Any good idea?

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Add me to your friends list ingame: Psion Dex

If you have any questions, need help, or guidance, I will help as much as I can.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

The truth is you will always be behind and there is no way to really not be now.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

Originally posted by Nevulus

If you have any questions, need help, or guidance, I will help as much as I can.

Thanks!! This is most appreciated! :)

Originally posted by Elsabolts

The truth is you will always be behind and there is no way to really not be now.

I know, since stats have no cap? A bit discouraging for newer players actually. But how "bad" is it to catch up; or will that never happen?

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by chrisel

I know, since stats have no cap? A bit discouraging for newer players actually. But how "bad" is it to catch up; or will that never happen?

I t will never happen is the short answer, you can after a few years be ok but it will take time.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

It's not as bad as Elsa makes it out to be. Stats only effect the rate that skills train, and each skill is capped at 5 levels. You won't have as many total skill points as an older character, but you can be just as good as an older character at certain things. An older character will have more options availible to them, but they won't always be better.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Add me in game. Name's Daron Rostar. I'll give you some ISK and pointers whenever you need it.

And check your PMs, I'll give you 300 mil if you do decide to sub if you take me up on the offer.

• jdobby2jdobby2 Member Posts: 4

Eve is a great game, probably one of the best I've ever played.  That being said, getting into it requires patience.  It's very open ended and there is no linear objective.  As someone said, your best bet is to join EVE university corp(guild) and start asking questions.  It is very hard to start on your own.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Yeah I wouldnt pay much attention to those saying "you will never catch up." I will give you an example:

I took an account and trained to fly a couple of specific frigate-class ships to maximum effectiveness in PVP, it took me 2 months (approximately). Now since skills have a max level of 5, once I have mastered the skills up to level 4 and 5 for the most part, I can fly that ship with great efficiency in PVP.When I decided to take it to the maximum level, I maxed out all the needed skills to fly and fit that ship all to level 5. No matter how much time goes by, I can't increase those skills any higher than level 5, so a 7-year vet versus a 4-month player will have approximately the same skillset for that set of ship and guns. Larger ships obviously will take longer amount of time to fit and fly appropriately, but that doesn't mean you will not have fun. After all these years I still have the most fun in the smaller, more agile, cheaper ships.

The difference where the vet will slowly begin to outshine is that they have mastered different types of guns, ships, as well as different skill-sets used to play Eve differently. For example I have a large amount of skillpoints in manufacturing and science skills, so not only am I able to fly the ships that I want, but when I want to, I can stop and decide to make some money manufacturing and playing the trading market in Eve, or enjoy exploring planets and mining resources.

This is why most Eve vets will tell you to do your research and map out a focus-plan early on, so you can enjoy very quickly what you want to do. Whether its PVPing, PVEing, trading, mining (dont do it, lol), manufacturing, exploring, planet-mining, hauling.

Eve online does take a decent amount of research. Experience does play a factor, which is why it is reccommended to join newbie corps to learn how to pilot effectively and get ideas on how to proceed your skill-progression in order to get to where you want to be as fast as possible.

Originally posted by Draron

Add me in game. Name's Daron Rostar. I'll give you some ISK and pointers whenever you need it.

And check your PMs, I'll give you 300 mil if you do decide to sub if you take me up on the offer.

Thanks. I do not know much about how all this works, but I am very grateful that you are offering me this.

This shows, again, that the most hardcore MMO's do have the better communities. At least I feel so.

Hh, one thing I am wondering about; are there any difference for me to install it through Steam or should I use the main site for this? How does you offers with trial etc work if I choose to instsall through Steam? Maybe a bit noobish question, but I never installed MMO's through steam as I prefer the official hompepages for the MMO's instead.

Yeah I wouldnt pay much attention to those saying "you will never catch up." I will give you an example:

I took an account and trained to fly a couple of specific frigate-class ships to maximum effectiveness in PVP, it took me 2 months (approximately). Now since skills have a max level of 5, once I have mastered the skills up to level 4 and 5 for the most part, I can fly that ship with great efficiency in PVP.When I decided to take it to the maximum level, I maxed out all the needed skills to fly and fit that ship all to level 5. No matter how much time goes by, I can't increase those skills any higher than level 5, so a 7-year vet versus a 4-month player will have approximately the same skillset for that set of ship and guns. Larger ships obviously will take longer amount of time to fit and fly appropriately, but that doesn't mean you will not have fun. After all these years I still have the most fun in the smaller, more agile, cheaper ships.

The difference where the vet will slowly begin to outshine is that they have mastered different types of guns, ships, as well as different skill-sets used to play Eve differently. For example I have a large amount of skillpoints in manufacturing and science skills, so not only am I able to fly the ships that I want, but when I want to, I can stop and decide to make some money manufacturing and playing the trading market in Eve, or enjoy exploring planets and mining resources.

This is why most Eve vets will tell you to do your research and map out a focus-plan early on, so you can enjoy very quickly what you want to do. Whether its PVPing, PVEing, trading, mining (dont do it, lol), manufacturing, exploring, planet-mining, hauling.

Eve online does take a decent amount of research. Experience does play a factor, which is why it is reccommended to join newbie corps to learn how to pilot effectively and get ideas on how to proceed your skill-progression in order to get to where you want to be as fast as possible.

Now THIS was encouraging to read! Thanks!

Now I feel I got a better understanding about how this game works. This is definately not overwhelming, and I think I can survice the kills better than I did in f.ex DFO; where I died so often sometimes it was nearly absurd.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

For the purpose of Skill-points and pvp this is how it works. Assuming you join a 0.0 Alliance they may have 4 fleets up at one time: A Capital fleet, Battleship fleet to Bash POSes, a speed fit HAC fleet, and a generic roaming fleet. You'll more and likely only be able to go out on the generic roaming fleet... you either won't have the ability to fly the ships needed in the other fleets or not have them skilled up to the point where you should be in them. Myself with my massive 83m SP gets to pick whichever of the four fleets I'm going to be in, but I am still stuck with going with a single fleet. As you train you'll be able to help out in more fleets and you'll have more choices.

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208

Originally posted by Tabmowe

I am not 'that' interested in joining a corp immediately. Some guilds/corps I have been into are strict, non-personal, lots of rules and god knows not what they are. I will definately not go well with some 14 year old kid yelling out orders. I will enter for the fun. But if that's the only option there is, well then it seem so I need do it.

With 200.000 accounts I had "some" hope there could be someone "here" who could give me som helping hand when I got started instead of jumping into a huge newbie corp.

I dont know this particular corp but trust me, if you are starting with EvE you will have a looot of question. :D NPC corps are good too, there are players who are currently without player corp but if there is realy a corp dedicated to helping new ppl I think you should try that. Also be aware that EvE is everything just not kind to you. :)

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

Please don't buy a character off of the bazaar. This will lead to you posting about how you got ganked b/c you fitted your megathron with civilian mining lasers. Do not buy a character. At least don't for 6 months or so. EvE university is a good start. Please try and contact Agony Unleashed..they have a PvP tutorial class....sometimes several.

Skills only ever go to V...that's it. Stop worrying about what everyone else has, and focus on getting your PRIMARY stats raised up. I'm giving away advice I tell my own rookies...do not raise any skill to V that isn't a named skill...i.e....Electronics, Engineering, Mechanic, etc. ONLY raise them to V, if you must. Please don't forget about Navigation. I find these are the most neglected skills, yet the only locomotion in this game is effected by these skills.

Next, slow down. I'll repeat that. SLOW DOWN. You won't get to the end game content, b/c there isn't any. That's an alien concept for most MMO players. Play for an hour, log off. Eat something, watch a movie..come back the next day...kills some NPC's, mine some, do some PI, run a few missions....just don't try and finish the game...because you can't.

After 3 or 8 months..you should start recognizing the same people where you live or by what you are doing. You might even get killed a few times. Don't get mad...ask the person what you could have done better. Engage your brain. Plan ahead. EvE isn't twitch based..so I generally know right away if someone wants to fight if I am going to win or not.

There are many OOG tools...such as....EVEMON. Please d/l these or at least think about it. EvE's community builds these tools to help themselves. We didn't ask CCP to do it, we did it ourselves. Utilize your resources. Never fly into a mission w/o reading what you need to fit and what guns/ammo you should be using.

Lastly, remember that this is a social game. You can read about all the politics and hate mongering on the forums if you choose to. EvE is best enjoyed like most things in life...with others. Soloing is normal in alot of other MMO's but not here. I'm sure many do it, but that isn't really what CCP had in mind.

Welcome to New Eden..and may your shields never fail you.

E:Spellling

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

You can hit up Punkie Brewster in game if you give it a spin. I can help you out with info etc. Been playing a few years, I don't know it "all" but I know enough to teach you what NOT to do lol.

IE: DO NOT BUY A PLEX and fly it in a shuttle lol. Etc etc.

Rule number 1 - if you cannot afford to replace it DO NOT FLY IT.

Rule number 2 - if you can think of it and do it in game , it's legal.

Rule number 3 - Watch local at all times.

Thats about it , the rule book is prettty thin lol.

Eve university is the way to go honestly. Even if only for a week or so. They will Teach you combat ops, how to set your interface from pve to pvp to mining etc. How to navigate and effectively use the map how to set bookmaps in flight etc. Definitly worth your time to learn with good people that will fly with you and show you the ropes.

You said you were iffy about being in a corp. You can play this game solo but it wasn't really designed for that. You can do it, but it's similiar to hitting yourself with a hammer. You can do that - but it's not alot of fun.

PS oh yeah, addendum Rule 4- never go after a lone Maller in low sec......it's a trap Will Robinson!!!!!

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by Draron

Thanks. I do not know much about how all this works, but I am very grateful that you are offering me this.

This shows, again, that the most hardcore MMO's do have the better communities. At least I feel so.

Hh, one thing I am wondering about; are there any difference for me to install it through Steam or should I use the main site for this? How does you offers with trial etc work if I choose to instsall through Steam? Maybe a bit noobish question, but I never installed MMO's through steam as I prefer the official hompepages for the MMO's instead.

You can buy it on steam, and use the steam client or download it off the main site. Whichever way, the trial invite still works.

Great feedback here has convinced me to install the game. I really like the way you all are describing it. I am though a "fast paced action fanboi" but I am more than willing to dig a bit deeper into this mysterious world you talk about.

Ever since I played the first PC games that included roaming the universe I have been dreaming of such a game. I really do belive EvE could be my virtual home. Regarding the ganking & killing; I come from DFO, I think I will be able to deal with the kills in EvE. Especially considering that I can assure stuff before I head out, which minmizes the loss. Beside; whats the thrill if theres nothing to loose?

I am as we speak, testing out a themepark MMO, and I suddenly felt so outgrown of it; havent played any since I left DFO. I really need a change both in setting and change in what games offer to challenge.

Again thanks. And please, keep feeding me more; The more I read the more I crave for this game!

Edit; typos & bad english.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Thanks. Will look into this part then.

Any other good advice for me, as I am aiming purely for PvP?

Zoobi's advice isn't really that good. Although skillpoints are useful and good to have, the first requirement of being "a PvPer" in EVE is that you know what you're doing. To cut it down, this means buying a lot of ships, flying around and getting in fights. Inevitably, you're going to lose most of them early on (the idea being, each time you lose, you learn something). It's way better to do this learning in cheap disposable ships with a character who doesn't have much to lose.

Additionally, if you want someone to spend a considerable amount of time (and it will take a long time) helping you, then you're pretty much looking at joining a corp. There are corps which are run by little Napoleons, but there are also relaxed, friendly corps as well. Finding the corp that suits you is really your "first quest" in EVE. Allow me to recommend that you investigate Suddenly Ninjas (TEARS). They're fairly relaxed, PvP focused, based in hi-sec space, and they seem to have a pretty good time.

Give me liberty or give me lasers