Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mmorg camera view - a possible loss of immersion

BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Hey guys, I was thinking about what I loved about old school mmorgs and what made them so immersive, and something clicked with me - camera position.   Im not sure if it is just me but nowadays through serious raiding/pvp etc my camera position has eventually evolved to become as far as possible from my character and manually controlled, and I got to thinking, is this one of the reasons a part of that old immersion factor has been lost? 

What do you think, has the need to have fine control over your character positioning impacted on the immersive experience??

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Comments

• BelightBelight Member Posts: 73

I wouldn't say zoom distance has too much impact on immersion in an MMO.

I do feel that 1st person is more immersive than 3rd person.

1st person: Consider a game like Bad Company 2. In first person there are bullets flying, explosions blowing things around, and sometimes it is just down right nerve wrackingly immersive. I think the awesome sounds help too.

3rd person: I suppose you could argue that a zoomed in view is more immersive than a zoomed out view. Take a game like Gears of War. It's a tight camera angle and the camera bobs with you. When you run it zooms in and looks really cool. I think a zoomed in 3rd person with certain effects can lend to immersion.

However, most MMOs don't do either of these nearly as well as the games I listed for examples and thus I don't feel camera zoom makes a huge difference.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I've found that camera view actually does make a significant difference.

Mortal Online has a full-time first-person view, which is something I didn't think I'd like before I started playing.  After I got used to it, I stated noticing how odd other games felt - like an "out of body" experience.  MO is designed with FPV in mind, so things like stealth occur only if you, as a player, are able to actually avoid another player's sightlines and sneak up on him.

To me, viewpoint makes a bigger difference than I first thought it would.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by Belight

I wouldn't say zoom distance has too much impact on immersion in an MMO.

I do feel that 1st person is more immersive than 3rd person.

1st person: Consider a game like Bad Company 2. In first person there are bullets flying, explosions blowing things around, and sometimes it is just down right nerve wrackingly immersive. I think the awesome sounds help too.

3rd person: I suppose you could argue that a zoomed in view is more immersive than a zoomed out view. Take a game like Gears of War. It's a tight camera angle and the camera bobs with you. When you run it zooms in and looks really cool. I think a zoomed in 3rd person with certain effects can lend to immersion.

However, most MMOs don't do either of these nearly as well as the games I listed for examples and thus I don't feel camera zoom makes a huge difference.

Most immersive first perspective, then 3rd perspective by range I was thinking.  Would be interesting if a mmorg had the nerve to enforce first perspective imo :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

I believe back in EQ Classic it was all first person. And a lot of players found that very immersive. However, that first UI from EQ.. lol oh my

• BelightBelight Member Posts: 73

Mortal Online is completely first person. You can look down and see your legs.