Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going Oldschool

Recently from all of the MMO hype then disappointments ive been looking for something fun to play. Games like EQ2 ,WoW, Rift and FFXIV have made me want to go back to games like FFXI and EQ1. But after playing EQ1 for a while on the new progression server and then it being down for several weeks it has made me realise that im getting tired of the entire genre. Recently ive been doing my research into old mmo's and i guess stopping just short of playing origional on paper  D&D which i have never had the experience of playing. Ive started to take a peek into MUD's and there likeness theres so many of them to choose and honestly im having a pretty good time. Alot of them arent too fast paced they still have quests and objectives and everything a new mmo has to offer minus the graphics. But i guess if your the type thats into alot of reading such as my self these are the type of games for you. Most of these games are free and the ones that you have to pay for seem to be nothing different from the ones you dont as far as i have seen. Also i have noticed that if you have an android phone you can download an app called "Blowtorch" which can play these on your phone and you can make macro buttons and so on and its FREE :)  I think i have over 25 different games info saved onto my phone at this time and i have been playing with our any more hinderance than on my computer. So all in all im having fun with these games and its a nice break from the tedium of todays games. So anyone out there with any input on these games, recommendations for other players or my self  or and old MUD stories feel free to comment. I wouldnt even mind a flame or two from all of you flamers out there :)

Comments

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

After building my latest computer rig, I've been feeling the same way as you. Even restarted my eve online, eq2, and wow account. Then I realized what I was missing the most was good old fashion fun with my D&D PnP group. So i found this link from a thread here on MMORPG.com, downloaded the virtual table (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/), and got back together with my RP group and busted out some remote gaming D&D 4th edition gaming. Being that most of my friends have moved to different states, this makes it easy for us to get together online and have some old school fun.

• marks4902marks4902 Member Posts: 133

im going to have to look into this however im not familiar with any of the rules in DnD any how

ne one else still play muds?

or have any other oldschool mmo recommendations for someone whos tired of the same old?

• BelightBelight Member Posts: 73

Have you played Ultima Online? It's not a MUD, but only just a step up (2D), and still remains one of the better MMORPG systems ever created.

There are tons of freeshards where you can chose the rules set you like.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

You can always try this thread:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/185488/List-of-OldSchool-2D-Games-for-you-from-A-Z-F2P-to-P2P.html

Some I would point out from there are Ashen Empires, Ragnarok Online, UO, and Runescape.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Originally posted by marks4902

or have any other oldschool mmo recommendations for someone whos tired of the same old?

If you are looking for old school and dont mind graphics i strongly suggest Asherons Call. im pretty sure they have a free trial also.

Darktide is the pvp server, but i must warn you. after the tutorial you will be about level 5 and you will be fair game to anybody no matter the level. you will not be safe in any town or any dungeon it is real pvp. if u like pvp find a guild and get some allies you will need it.

the pve server with the most people would probably be FrostFell.

im just looking for something nice and simple that dosent mandate me to play every day... soloable but i can group when i want to 

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by marks4902

im just looking for something nice and simple that dosent mandate me to play every day... soloable but i can group when i want to 

This is part of why I am looking forward to GW2.

yes were all waiting for that but until then i need something to fill the void in my life and eq origional isnt doing it for me

however im not sure i could get into pen and paperstyle DnD i think at the very least i need some computer action