Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Joel Bylos and Dag Scheve Interview

skywisenightskywisenight Member UncommonPosts: 348

MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood recently cornered Funcom's Joel Bylos and Dag Scheve to talk about The Secret World. As the floodgates are beginning to squeak open on all things TSW, Jon, Dag and Joel talked about The Secret World's story, missions and much much more. This is a must read and we've got an exclusive video diary that adds even more. Check it out!

You say that the most important story in The Secret World is “your” story, meaning the story of the players. With that said, how is my story, as a player, going to be different from the stories of every other player?

Dag Scheve: When we're talking about your story, we're talking about the one you'll create for yourself. How you experience the game, the friends you'll make and the alliances you'll forge. Your experience will be different because you're you, with your unique point of view. Everything you experience in the game is part of your story, and your experiences are always

Read Jon Wood's The Secret World: Joel Bylos and Dag Scheve Interview.

Comments

• TiurinnTiurinn Member Posts: 62

*drool*

Heat, pressure and time. The three things that make a diamond, also make a waffle.
    Also known as Ardanwen.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

This sounds great but been burnt before. We are just all desperate for some different, i can't handle another "WoW Clone"

• KebeckKebeck Member Posts: 323

How about asking for a realease window next time ?...

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by Kebeck

It's Funcom, let's not push 'em.

• noty2009noty2009 Member Posts: 7

are this game will be P2P or F2P

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

You should ask them what things will you put on the box saying what the game includes even thought it wont have it?  Perhaps Secret World should advertise that they will run DX20 graphics.  Funcom previews, videos, screenshots and interviews are so pointless after AoC.  They will say anything, put anything on a box (even if it doesn't have it in the game) and then say they are surprised by players reactions to not having it in the game.   Don't even know why anyone would bother with this game company's publicity until the game launches and then see what it has or doesn't have.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Good questions, I liked the ones about the several years of content and the Public Quests, Tornquist's answers on them were informative.

Originally posted by SBE1

They will say anything, put anything on a box (even if it doesn't have it in the game) and then say they are surprised by players reactions to not having it in the game.   Don't even know why anyone would bother with this game company's publicity until the game launches and then see what it has or doesn't have.

Not everyone holds a grudge against a company for the rest of their life just because they spend the humongous never-to-recover loss of 50 dollars on a game and they were disappointed about it.

In fact, some even had a great time in games like Dreamfall, The Longest Journey, AO and/or AoC.

Then again, it's good advice for those who've been hurt painfully by AoC's launch to either avoid TSW or to wait until the game has been launched and see what the news is then.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Good read.

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

AWESOME!!!  Can't wait.

And, yes - I got over the AoC burn long ago.  Does it still not do some of the things they promised at launch?  Yes, but time to move on. 

• HighttowerHighttower Member UncommonPosts: 19

One thing that is/was popular in Anarchy Online was the social expression to dress, look the way you want to look. The choice of all the clothes! The social events & parties run by the people/gamers are/were always epic!

I'm hoping that TSW and the players embrace this same tradition.

Great interview! 

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Guys, we're taking this interview down as it was meant to run next week. We're replacing it with the proper video and interview. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Highttower

One thing that is/was popular in Anarchy Online was the social expression to dress, look the way you want to look. The choice of all the clothes! The social events & parties run by the people/gamers are/were always epic!

I'm hoping that TSW and the players embrace this same tradition.

Great interview! 

Yeah that's how MMO gamers used to play, haven't seen that in eons. It would be nice to see again, I have little faith in that though. People don't join games to build communities anymore. They'll play through TOR get bored at "end-game", they'll play through TSW get bored at "end-game", they'll play through GW2 and get bored at "end-game". Never realizing the point isn't to play these games like you're playing the next God of War title. It's to build a community and provide entertainment through social means.

Yet they wonder why Blizz never bothered to add Housing or other sandbox features, as well as why other devs don't. It would be wasted development time considering only 5 people would actually take part in any of it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Originally posted by Stradden

Guys, we're taking this interview down as it was meant to run next week. We're replacing it with the proper video and interview. Sorry for the confusion.

Then you need to take down the whole thread and start a new one.

The original interview was

The Secret World: Ragnar Tørnquist Interview & Exclusive Video Diary

and the first 7 or so replies relate to that. (See http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4250023#4250023 )

Also... what's with holding interviews for a week?  Call me a cynic - but that makes it look like MMORPG.com is simply 'drip feeding' information to maintain hype?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

I would simply encourage our future players to get themselves out of a treadmill mindset. There is progression in TSW, and your character will become more powerful through diversification and gear, but don't make the mistake of thinking we want people running through the world looking for the endgame. In a very real sense, TSW is all endgame.

^^ that ... xD 

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

After reading this interview, my interest in this game continues to grow! I can't help but wonder what the "endgame" is-or-is there one?

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

EXCITING stuff.

Here's to something sounding like it will be something different.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Wounds awesome and I too cant stand another WoW clone.  Rift held me for just under 3 months.  Was a good great but the endgame was exactly like WoW except not as polished.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• nethstarnethstar Member Posts: 24

They have to make sure of a few things...

1. The hype train has to eventually die down, otherwise they'll have a "BRINK" moment, where all they stuff you hear/see about the game sounds awesome, but they don't really execute it well.

2. If they release this around the same time at GW2, they will find it hard to grow if another game is essensially doing what they want to do (make the MMO experience as different as possible from the stereotypes of MMOs).

3. They need to start throwing around some solid dates for some stuff. Like a generalisation like a year the beta will start, or when we can plan to see some in-depth gameplay. Again, referring to GW2, they have this nailed so far.

I enjoy the information thats coming out from Funcom about TSW, but what I don't like so much is the element of being hyped to the point where if the game is not pristine, it will be labled as a failure, and the only people to blame would be Funcom for setting themselves up for such a high fall. It's not like other MMO's haven't trapped themselves this way before, right?!

• xantrisxantris Member Posts: 38

" When we're talking about your story, we're talking about the one you'll create for yourself. How you experience the game, the friends you'll make and the alliances you'll forge. Your experience will be different because you're you, with your unique point of view. Everything you experience in the game is part of your story, and your experiences are always the most important."

In other words, its no different than any other MMO but we tried to put a marketing spin on it to make it sound special.

• KebeckKebeck Member Posts: 323

Originally posted by Short-Straw

It's Funcom, let's not push 'em.

Not even asking for a date.. but rather if we're still looking at a 2011 release... Think I'm asking too much ? ;)

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

The more I hear about this game, the more interested in it I become.  It is set in sort of a dark alternate modern time, which is freaking cool, and it is skill based instead of class based.

Those two things alone make it sound like it will finally be something different from WoW.  Not only that, but I already know the graphics will be fantastic because Funcom will be using the same, or close to the same, game engine in TSW as they are using in the newly updated AoC. 

The only question I have is whether this new skill system will be amazing or crash and burn.  My understanding is that Star Wars Galaxies was skill based instead of class based, but I could be wrong.  All I know is it seems like they are taking a risk to do something different and for that, I applaud them.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I for one will not be buying into the Hype this time around and will wait and see if what is promised is deliverd. I have my doubts as do others. Funcom has a track record and it is not a good one.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • cheggelundcheggelund Member UncommonPosts: 91

Well, I WILL be buying into the hype!

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

i dont understand why everybody are so mean with Funcom...its like only AoC failed...but as far as i remember almost everything failed so far at some point... warhammer,Aion,darkfall,fallen earth,apb,dc universe and soon or later Rift and Tera... its the mmo curse...

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Not even asking for a date.. but rather if we're still looking at a 2011 release... Think I'm asking too much ? ;)

Perhaps; remember that they pushed AoC out so that they could beat WAR to launch, when they would have been much better served taking their time and making sure the game was ready for launch. TSW devs have stated that they learned from AoC's mistakes, and I am hoping that includes not launching a game until it's ready. Given how I am looking forward to seeing some of the mission types they are talking about, I would prefer that they don't hold themselves to some arbitrary launch window this time.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan