Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MUD MMO's?

marks4902marks4902 Member Posts: 133

ive heard about these when i was in middle school quite a while back but recently getting older and not really having the care for the newer mmos ive been looking into muds. i really dont know much about them... my first real mmo love was everquest to give you an idea when i jumped into the mmo genre. i have a decent amount of downtime at work so it would be nice if i could fool around with it while i was at work like i do on pocket legends but again id really like something alot more advanded like my old eq was :(   ...... i was wondering a few things

1. how completely time consuming is the average MUD

2. do i need a static group of friends to play with all of the time

3. can i play from my new fancy andoid phone (thunderbolt)

4. if so what ones do you recommend for playing on the cell phone

5. if not or also what ones do you recommend for pc

6. is there a basic noob tutorial for MUD's

Comments

• marks4902marks4902 Member Posts: 133

also any other recommendations for mmos that have some playable factor on my phone would be nice also

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

Do you realize that MUD's are text based? Most are played through a terminal, there are 'advanced' ones that have a client with buttons and pictures, but are still mostly text based.

There are thousands out there, some are simple and some are very complex, just depends on your cup of tea.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by marks4902

ive heard about these when i was in middle school quite a while back but recently getting older and not really having the care for the newer mmos ive been looking into muds. i really dont know much about them... my first real mmo love was everquest to give you an idea when i jumped into the mmo genre. i have a decent amount of downtime at work so it would be nice if i could fool around with it while i was at work like i do on pocket legends but again id really like something alot more advanded like my old eq was :(   ...... i was wondering a few things

MMOs are graphical MUDs. For info on MUDs and an extensive resource for playing and developing them, visit MUDConnect.com

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• preston326preston326 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Hi, so you want to play a text based game that you can run on mobile and that's not too time consuming?! No problem :) Try Legend of the Green Dragon Its *really* fun game, its devs surely have good sense of humor and you can play it on your mobile (I assume it has good browser) and it's text based. So try it out.

Oh btw I think that LotGD is actually based on some MUD game.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by marks4902

1. Judging by the time I lost in my teenage years playing them, pretty time consuming! Haha. It's all about self-control though. They are very addictive, just like many MMOs.

2. Not really, no (this can depend on the MUD though). But you will often meet people and make friends (again, just like an MMO).

3. No clue here. That would be pretty interesting though.

4. N/A

5. I used to play the AVATAR MUD way way back in the day, among many others. I recommend visiting MUDConnector to find MUDs to check out based on your preferences.

6. There sure are. Check out the various resources available at MUDConnector.

Hope that helps!

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Best MUD I ever played was Avendar: Crucible of Legends. Entirely original, PvP, RP with different Houses, Religions, and other affiliations always at war. I could go on for days why this game is so damn cool. Characters age and die or die from con death if you die enough times (usually takes a bit but it can happen in fierce ongoing wars). Immteractions, the developers constantly take control of NPCs and Gods and such to interact and get involved with the latest ongoing dramas. Some of the better characters/roles end up being turned into a mob like a tower guard for the Guardians (the law enforcement of the game, they have jurisdiction over  the major cities and mark people as criminals).

There are 1 version items in the game with programs casting spells and such which makes the PvP that much more cutthroat. Gear disappears if you don't play enough during a week or two so it keeps everything circulating. Great classes, great lore. I honestly believe it would make one hell of an MMO.

Oh and about the phone thing. I can't comment for all MUDs but most of the MUDs I've played are way too fast paced to play on something like a phone. You have to type in commands most of the time. Having to fiddle around on the phone = you're back at your altar as a ghost quick.

As for a client Zmud served me well.

Macros, Triggers, and Mapping make MUDs much easier and tolerable for you.

• marks4902marks4902 Member Posts: 133

ive been trying aardwolf  and using blowtorch on my android

• badchicnbadchicn Member Posts: 7

I played on Dark Shattered Lands many years ago. It is still going and seems to have a large player base. You can use a telnet client or a mud client such as Zmud.

• NiiehNiieh Member Posts: 46

I have two MUD apps for iPhone: PocketMUD and TMC game client. Both work very well! Lately I've used pocketMUD a bit more. 

I think mudding works very well on a phone. I'm playing some Aardwolf atm, really cool game and there's always a LOT of people online. 

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

Download Blowtorch for your Android phone.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.happygoatstudios.bt

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

MU*s still work and are out there, but with a much lower playerbase than before.  I wouldn't call any of them 'massive' due to playerbase drops, but the top MU*s can have over 100 players.  Some can be quite advanced and complicated, while others are just stock codebases with a few things changed.

1) It really depends.  Some MU*s cater more to people who have a decent amount of time to invest in them, while others are really easy to play on and off.  I would say that roleplaying MU*s take a lot more time investment than hack-and-slash ones (if roleplaying is even your thing).

2) You don't, but like any other multiplayer game, you'll likely have more fun with your friends.  In addition, some MU*s benefit more by having friends to team up with.  That said, I find it easier to make friends in MU*s due to the smaller communities as well as their willingness to get new players on their otherwise small games.

3 + 4) I don't really know about playing MU*s on mobile clients.  I heard that there are some clients available for phones, but I imagine it would be harder to play from a phone unless you really knew what you were doing.

5) There's a lot of them available depending on your tastes.  Two popular MU* listing sites are The MUD Connector and TopMudSites.  If you want to analyze stats on them, MUDStats offers in-depth analysis (and rankings based on player counts).  Don't base your choice purely on the #1 games, though, since they might not appeal to you - find a game that fits a theme you like with features you like.

6) Most MU*s include newbie tutorial areas when you create a character now.  This can range from extremely stock help to advanced scripts written for that specific MU*.

If you have any specific questions regarding MU*s, drop me a PM or whatever and I can try to help you out.  I've been playing them for a while and still do today.