Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Outside the MMO Box: The Witcher 2

13»

Comments

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by dinams

Originally posted by Vhaln

Originally posted by Rawiz

Seriously now, can you imagine Geralt being a woman? He is like the Al Bundy of mediaval times.. there's just no way to spin it. Personally I couldn't be happier with this, and I've played at least 3 female chars in Kotor, Fallout 3 and Fallout:NV.

A female Geralt would just seem unnatural.

I don't think anyone wants a female Geralt *shudder*  Rather, the option for a female main character, who would be scripted to fit the role.  Or, what I'd personally prefer, creating my own character, with the character's responses kept vague enough to leave more to the imagination.  I want to be able to pretend it's my character I'm playing, not theirs, whatever the gender.

To me, that's what RPGs are all about, with heavily scripted predefined characters being more of an action game thing.

This is Witcher and  unlike the other games that allows you to create your character this one is based on a book and considered a sequel in some way..

Taking off Geralt kills all the point of the game, it would just be another fantasy rpg like Dragon Age..

Just because its based off of a book dosn't mean that it can't have the option of changing the gender of a character. The book will always be the book and Geralt will always be Geralt regardless of what players do in the privacy of their own homes on their own computers. As for the post above that stated having a female Geralt would be like a female Al Bundie, well you're not helping me want to play the game because the character of Al Bundie just dosn't appeal to me as a lead for a game. However I have met a few female Al Bundies in my life and they're out there. So to assume that it would be "unimaginable" is being narrowminded.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

The first game just did not grab me really, I played about 12 hours or so and havent played since.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Yavin_Prime

Seriously now, can you imagine Geralt being a woman? He is like the Al Bundy of mediaval times.. there's just no way to spin it. Personally I couldn't be happier with this, and I've played at least 3 female chars in Kotor, Fallout 3 and Fallout:NV.

I don't think anyone wants a female Geralt *shudder*  Rather, the option for a female main character, who would be scripted to fit the role.  Or, what I'd personally prefer, creating my own character, with the character's responses kept vague enough to leave more to the imagination.  I want to be able to pretend it's my character I'm playing, not theirs, whatever the gender.

To me, that's what RPGs are all about, with heavily scripted predefined characters being more of an action game thing.

This is Witcher and  unlike the other games that allows you to create your character this one is based on a book and considered a sequel in some way..

Taking off Geralt kills all the point of the game, it would just be another fantasy rpg like Dragon Age..

Just because its based off of a book dosn't mean that it can't have the option of changing the gender of a character. The book will always be the book and Geralt will always be Geralt regardless of what players do in the privacy of their own homes on their own computers. As for the post above that stated having a female Geralt would be like a female Al Bundie, well you're not helping me want to play the game because the character of Al Bundie just dosn't appeal to me as a lead for a game. However I have met a few female Al Bundies in my life and they're out there. So to assume that it would be "unimaginable" is being narrowminded.

This is a heavily scripted and narrated game based on a specific character - Geralt.  The story, much of the dialogue and his love interest require him to be a man. You can change the way you play Geralt and the large number of endings reflects this, hence it is still very much a RPG. Its just something youll have to deal with, not all games are willing to water down the story to accomodate gender equality in the protaganist. Its a really silly reason to avoid the best single player RPG since DA:O... I would even say it surpasses it. Maybe since Oblivion in that case.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

I hate how the only games people consider "masterpieces" are all at least ten years old......fond memories don't take away that this game blows all old games out of the water, even considering the time they were in.

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345

I will admit to using a trainer, simply so I can enjoy the story, like a movie, and avoid too much combat. There are still multi choices to make, so I still immerse myself in the game. I know most players want the challenge of combat, I don't need it.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

If creepy men can play female toons, then you can be a creepy woman playing a male toon! (I am assuming you are a woman, if I am wong, I am sorry)

--To the topic the Witcher series is actually a video game series I like.  Being that I am a critical hateful troll, this is amazing.  What I love most about the Witcher is the story, there is no black and white in the Witcher, it is a brutal world where what is right is not clear cut.  As far as the game play, crafting and resource gathering plays a huge role in the games.  Being that I am a guy who likes to gather resources in MMORPGs, this game series fills that need for me.  The first witcher had a better crafting system (The secondary qualities on resources), but the second witcher has more crafted items.  If you are a crafter or resource collector type, you might like this series.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• CuningasCuningas Member UncommonPosts: 48

I remember playing Witcher 1 when it came out... It was horrible. So I left it in my shelf, waiting for better times. I started playing it again after patch 1.5 and the Djinni editor.

And guess what? The game was A LOT better than the first time I played it. Loading times were smaller, game so much smoother, everything was better.

I grabbed a mod or two to enhance the mediocre combat, and it worked. Now my combat is very satisfying. And the Game itself is just amazing. Yes, it can be hard. Yes, sometimes it's frustrating. But guess what? That's what I love about my games. Games too easy like Oblivion becomes boring really quick.

Haven't played TW 2 yet, but I believe that after some patches it is much better. Just wait for it. And if it's moddable, then wait for some good mods.

Those who didn't like The Witcher 2 much now, try it again. Wait for a year or two, and i guarantee it'll blow your mind...

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

TW2 was a total nightmare for the first 6 levels. the game is absurdly hard in the beginning. im on act 2 now and im having a blast, it's becoming as fun as ME2 (which ive played through 7 times). you really have to be patient with this one. TW2 will keep me busy for at least a month or two of casual playing.

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

What is it with the womens lib people these days lol. Geralt is a male and the witcher is based of a male figure out of european books,that's the way it is. You don't want to play it then fine don't play it but it's always going to be the way it is.

I think the problem is Americans really don't get european RPGs.

• Species5021Species5021 Member Posts: 44

This game is amazing, its really challenging but fun nonetheless, the way you do quests and kill monsters is amazing. Starting a fight without tactic is deadly and running away is something you really don't want to do. Dieing is more like a moment of reflection of what's gone wrong then a real punishment and there a lot of options to starting a fight, last night i trapped a corridor of forest with 17 traps and lured a spider queen trough it and she landed dead at my feet right on the last trap!

Just..Wow...Battle can be shaky with the sword sometimes i agree but think it along rpg lines, the guy has lost his memory and has to basically start over, after that he wouldn't start as the best swordsman in the land right? I am amazed by this game and if you decide to play it then give it time. Also QUICKSAVE IS YOUR FRIEND!

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Just like with the combat in the original, TW2 requires sometime to get used to it. People who expect cookie-cutter RPG combat will have to get used to it. I think it is unfortunate, if you quit this excellent game just because you did not take sometime learning the ropes. The combat gets better once you get used it.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

+1 

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Just lol on those who compare the only mature RPG series The Witcher (ah, sorry, my bad I forgot Gothic 1&2) to teenager crap aka BioWare or role-playing nothing aka Morrowind/Oblivion.

Every single BioWare game was designed to please western teenagers. Even the best ones like BG 1&2. They were so childish considering characterization, that I was always lauphing hard when saw as those so called archmages (Imoen and Nalia) acted like 16 old girls. KotOR and DAO were even worse. And this black/white mentality is pretty childish as well. Children don't understand that people mostly aren't good or bad, but just well people.

And as to Bethesda crap, why on earth would I take Morrowind/Oblivion before Dark Fall? DF has 100 times more freedom, 100 times larger world, 100 times more mobs and other content and in addition some people to play with. Morrowind/Oblivion don't have a single living character. They all are bots. All look the same, act the same, feel the same. They all are the same. Yeah, Fallout 3 was a different story, but it wasn't as good as Witcher 2 is.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

And I just laugh on those who say The Witcher 2 is hard. I's, a 44 years old old fart managed to get through prologue on hard level, and tuned it later to normal not because I couldn't bear it, but because I didn't feel on it that Geralt was a superb fighter as he actually was. After the 1st act Geralt starts to chop through enemies like a meat grinder.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Kshahdoo

Just lol on those who compare the only mature RPG series The Witcher (ah, sorry, my bad I forgot Gothic 1&2) to teenager crap aka BioWare or role-playing nothing aka Morrowind/Oblivion.

Every single BioWare game was designed to please western teenagers. Even the best ones like BG 1&2. They were so childish considering characterization, that I was always lauphing hard when saw as those so called archmages (Imoen and Nalia) acted like 16 old girls. KotOR and DAO were even worse. And this black/white mentality is pretty childish as well. Children don't understand that people mostly aren't good or bad, but just well people.

And as to Bethesda crap, why on earth would I take Morrowind/Oblivion before Dark Fall? DF has 100 times more freedom, 100 times larger world, 100 times more mobs and other content and in addition some people to play with. Morrowind/Oblivion don't have a single living character. They all are bots. All look the same, act the same, feel the same. They all are the same. Yeah, Fallout 3 was a different story, but it wasn't as good as Witcher 2 is.

Comparing a game with visible flaws to games that have held up as some of the most beloved across many kinds of player-type and domegraphic gaps makes you sound like you've never actually played the games you're bashing, which I'm betting, because none of those games you mentioned were about 'black and white'. It was those games that make decision-making such a unique part of the experience that other games, like Witcher, which came AFTERWARD decided to capitalize on.

Whether or not you're playing with AI or real people is absolutely irrelevant to this discussion seeing as how 1) we're talking about a single player RPG and 2) you're comparing Witcher to other games which by your logic, would also be fail just because it's single-player. And Darkfall was one hell of a failure, honestly if you want any credibility you'll take that title out of your vocabulary with the quickness.

And there is nothing mature about the romance in Witcher. Triss spends almost the entire game naked offering very little than a wave of her hand and a sparkle as a charade that she is powerful, but she rarely if ever does anything useful. She's too busy bleeding from the nose and fainting everytime she has to make an effort. Don't fool yourself, she's just there as portable pussy for Geralt, which is fine, but the only thing 'mature' about it is the rating. It's fratboy mentality. Call it like it is.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ReckinyardsReckinyards Member Posts: 8

I used to prefer consoles over PCs for games, now i pretty much need a PC for nearly every game

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

The combat isn't bad, it just needs some minor working.  Just can't seem to get the feel for it.  I wouldn't use stiff for the word, but I wouldn't use fully fluent and perfect either.  Blocking I swear has a mind of it's own, but it wasn't till later I found rolling you can't block a few seconds after he stands back up.  As for the sword gameplay it's a simple mindless button masher for the most part but seems half the time you either get swarmed by about 50 people and you cant hit anything or you just get gang raped and again the blocking comes off like it has a mind of it's own.

Story line isn't bad but ffs can these damn developrs lay off the sex.  Just because it's an RPG game doesn't mean it needs sex.  Bioware is just as guilty of this crap these days.  Since when did it become manditory for the main character to(quite literally) sleep with anything willing to bend over in an RPG?  It's fucking redundant and stupid.  I don't play games to get my jollies off.  Play games for the adventure and immersion.  Not to be a god damn town whore/village bycicle.

Overall I would say a good game with some minor flaws and seriously just needs the sex portion thrown out, it's just there for preteen little boys to masturebate to.  This game is a step up from Dragon Age games along with Oblivion for sure with the story and gameplay.  But down the road after I beat it(for me anyway) it wont be as memorable as BG:2 or PS:2.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

witcher2 is a disappointment.

it's a decent game plagued by horrible controls.   the game itself isnt too hard, but the controls makes the game very hard to play.   every swing of the sword moves you forward by between 3 to 5 feet, so after about 4 or 5 swings of the sword, all of the mobs you are fighting are behind you taking advantage of that 200% dmg bonus of being hit from behind.  you cant back up in this game.  every time you try to back up your toon turns around exposing your back to the enemy to that 200% dmg bouns.

even though the controls are WASD, there isnt any way to ACTUALLY back up.  every time you back up, you actually turn around and expose your back to the mobs you are fighting.   there isnt any way to pin yourself in the corner or prevent yourself from moving forward with every single swing of the sword.  so essentially, you are constantly fighting with how the game moves rather then playing the game itself.  this wasnt as big of an issue in witcher1 but it has became a HUGE problem in witcher2.  i assume is due to their attempt to keep console port in mind while developing the game. 

overall, the game wasnt too bad, but it would have been a great game if they stuck with true WASD controls rather then the ghetto console style controls.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

I'm one of the few it seems that dislikes this game.  The 1st one was a deep and enjoyable PC RPG experience;  This one is a simple button smashing game that has been shamelessly developed with consoles in mind and is bugged to hell and back.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

That doesn't speak well for the game then.  Why not just pick up a Witcher novel and save $45?