Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brink? has anyone played it yet?

odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

hi i was really REALLY wanting to buy this game when i saw pics of it like 3 months ago

has anyone out there bought it yet ?

if you did is mulitplayer any good?

plz discuss pros and cons thx!

Comments

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

brink is a neat game, although i find myself regretting having paid the 50$ price tag instead of waiting 6 months and getting it on sale.

too sum it up, good game, not worth the 50$ price tag imho, and im not poor i just dont like overpaying!

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I havn't played it but I thought when I first heard about it it was supposed to be a falloutesque type game... kinda sad to see it's just another frag fest shooter.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Brink isn't worth the money they're asking for it, but otherwise it's "ok" for what it is. What it "is" is essentially a "Frag Fest" shooter similar to Unreal Tournament with Call of Duty-esq additions.

Not my cup of tea :(.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

The games good, but not the best. It's messy right now though, both in terms of frag-fest and bugs.

The frag-fest however I believe will settle down a tad bit when the game matures and people know how to play each role. Though I'm not hoping for a miracle, I'm at least hoping the game will have a more tactical pace when all is done and said.

The bugs however, do require a miracle. Practically everyone on an ATI GPU suffer from a horrible fps problem. High-end cards only push out 20-30 fps. I'm still waiting to give a final verdict... The amount I have played I enjoyed, but the lag is stopping me from playing more than a few minutes at a time.

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

The xbox version is a lot better then the PC I hear. The PC is having a lot of graphic issues and all around bugs, while the xbox runs smootly. I will say though, you have to have a great connection to play a full online match. Even at 5mbs advertised speed, I rubber band pretty frequently. Good game, I'd wait it out some for the PC though. I'm sure Steam will throw it up on sale for 33% off come memorial day.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

The game is not a frag fest like halo or something.  You're doing it wrong if you are playing it like that.

This is Basically Enemy territory, but with smaller maps, less objectives, less reliance on just engis for objectives, more color, more customization.

When comparing the two (since they are made by the same company) they do have similarities.  People can take quite a few shots unlike most shooters today.  You can rambo pretty effectively here unless playing against a real group of players on the other side.

Most players I meet in the game are running around trying to play CoD/Halo.  So one team gets rolled over because the other works on the objectives.

That said, the game could be so much more.  W:ET is easily my most favorite shooter (if you don't count JK:JO).  Having objectives like repairing and moving a tank, blowing barriers, blowing up walls/doors, placing mines, wearing a uni and backstabbing for one hit kills, arty/airstrikes by one class.  Some amazing things in that game.  And it was free.

I don't call Brink bad, but it's not all that it should be.  It seems rushed with the customization (no females, double you tee effffff), can't color your weapons, can't choose your own colors (you get preset ones), maps are TINY and while there are more maps at release then W:ET had, they have less objectives and are so much smaller.  I don't think there is a single "final" objective that can be down without doing all previous MAIN objectives.  In most ET maps, you could have Covert Ops steal a uni and allow for people to break through to the final objective and maybe win the game quick.  This game is focused around having to do objectives to move on.

While I'm having fun, I recommend saving your money and just playing W:ET if you haven't.  It's free.  And there are tons of maps. And I'm sure after how this game does, the population in W:ET will go up some.

Oh and I heard it was the Xbox that was having unplayable issues out the wazoo.  Out of the 10 or so friends who bought this, only two of us had any crashing issues, and it was my video drivers.

• 2can2can Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by neorandom

brink is a neat game, although i find myself regretting having paid the 50$ price tag instead of waiting 6 months and getting it on sale.

too sum it up, good game, not worth the 50$ price tag imho, and im not poor i just dont like overpaying!

have to agree with this, many of the features advertised aka story and implementation of mp and sp were just hopeless coverups of running the same missions with bots or human players

the shooter aspects are interesting and different but i cringe thinking about its 50$ worth

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Ok first of all, due to BS Pricing in Australi I paid $80 USD for Brink which is an unpleasant way to begin.

That said

I love:

-The Flow of the gameplay (once you adjust your thinking to SMART allowing you to move through, over, up & around things fluidly its awesome fun)

- The game types are varied and interesting, I dont play with bots only multi. Multiplayer is a lot of fun !

- Claustraphobic (they seem small but they areally arent that small, its just the claustraphobic design they went with) maps that result in intense firefights & sneaky ways to flank your opposition.

- Good number of multiplayer maps at release (9 or 12 I think it is ?, more coming as free DLC) and the maps are realy good. with SMART you can get around so many different ways and each map can be played in every game mode.

- Its not a shitty console port !!!

So after the love

I hate:

- Servers falling over randomly accross the board. I administer my own server and while I have managed to stop the dedicated server program crashing outright the dedicated server program will still lose contact with steam and is unable to re-establish connection, which then boots out all players & then sits there idle until such time as I find this has happened & restart it. Beyond annoying and seeminlgy every server admin is having one or both of these problems.

- Random game crashes on certain Nvidia chipsets. This is fairly widespread and no solution or workaround thus far.

- There are reports that sometimes after a random crash all characters are deleted & unlocks lost. (hasnt happened to me yet)

- Poor Performance on ATI hardware (again doesnt affect me but is a rediculous problem)

- Many of the game unlocks have to be unlocked in single player challenge modes (this is just silly, If I want to roll a new character I want to unlock things through multiplayer)

Overall I give the game an A+ for innovation, potential and uniqueness (SMART is awesome and watching all the ingame parkour is cool) but a B- for its current state. Perhaps wait a month for the problems to get fixed and the free DLC to come out. If you loved Enemy Territory Quake Wars or Wolfenstein Enemy Territory  you will most likely love Brink.

PS: ive seen a few reports of herendous lag but have never experienced it playing on other peoples servers, its possible it is something confined to the console versions.

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

Only problems I've run into on the xbox version is the mentioned lag. And that is only on Free Play matches, Campaign and Missions work perfectly.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

I like it even thou its not perfect but i'm one of the lucky ones. I have an ati card and Brink runs flawlessly unlike my friend who gets 5-10 FPS atm. Its a decent team based shooter. There are 8 maps but only half are really balanced. The single player was meh imo. I'd rate the game 6/10 atm but if they can fix some things and release some better maps i'd give it an 8.

• SoulsurvivorSoulsurvivor Member Posts: 5

Brink is good but still have a work to do on it!

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

I know this is in the right category here, but you guys should move this discussion over to FPSGuru.com, our FPS specific site!

Jon

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Stradden

I know this is in the right category here, but you guys should move this discussion over to FPSGuru.com, our FPS specific site!

Jon

SHAMELESS PLUG!!!!

No but really,  congrats on the new site launch.

• 2can2can Member Posts: 57
    Dont buy it if your looking for a singleplayer game. Its a game id like if it had some kind of clan based warfare or persistent metagame as such its a shooter with few weapons little customization and pretty pointless character advancement. It still has potential it just needs a new revolutionary gametype and more weapons
    $
  • odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

thx for the feedback but i guess ill just pass on this title and dare i say it...

wait on the new modern warfare / cod ..im really hateing that franchise but it seems its what everyone will be playing and im sure it will suck hardcore just like the last 2 but oh well i can always keep my fingers crossed heh

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

I thought it would be good so I bought it, played 5 hours in 5 days. Then I uninstalled it. I would give it 4,5/10 in score. Dont buy it.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by odinsrath

thx for the feedback but i guess ill just pass on this title and dare i say it...

wait on the new modern warfare / cod ..im really hateing that franchise but it seems its what everyone will be playing and im sure it will suck hardcore just like the last 2 but oh well i can always keep my fingers crossed heh

You can always look into Battlefield 3.

• Chaotic16Chaotic16 Member Posts: 116

Mankind's last great shooter was Call of Duty (2003-2004). Unfortunately, we will never get another one. That being said, no new shooter is worth buying anymore, especially if it's on consoles. Making them for consoles then porting them to PCs destroys the skill it would normally take you to aim, and replaces the entire game mechanics with hand-holding crap like minimaps that tell you exactly where your enemy is and auto-pilot helicopters with aim-bot capacity. Did I mention the ability to shoot through walls? 

The insanely-limiting controls of a console is why our shooters nowadays are being dumbed down. Unfortunately for us PC gamers, the quality in that game drops drastically along with any remote amount of skill. Brink is just another one of these horribly-made shooters that's trying to market to that wonderful console crowd.

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

You can always look into Battlefield 3.

YES! huge bfeild fan ..its not out yet ..is it?

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I picked up Brink over Fable 3 and Witcher 2, thinking an online shooter would lend to more replayability.  Splash Damage hit it big with Wolfenstein:ET, but after Quake Wars and Brink, I think it's safe to say they're a one hit wonder.

I was pretty disappointed with Brink.  It's laggy, performance for people with ATI cards is abysmal, and there are so many baffling design decisions (no kill/death count for example).

wow i cant belive this game is soo crappy..its been hyped for such a loong time.. i c what they mean when they say dont belive the hype till you play it heh thx for saveing money!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I have to agree slighty to have been somewhat hyped when I read about Brink and saw the interviews and movies, have bought it together with Fable3, Bullitstorm and Witcher2, Brink I installed and played for about 30minutes but for some reasons I just couln't get real into it, only play singleplayer campaign, actually really enjoy Bullitstorm allot more and it made me wanne play more. Same goes for Fable3.

Even thought I bought Brink a week ago I haven't touched it since those 30 minutes after installment, but will give it another go sometime, but first gonna play out bullitstorm and fable3 and installing Witcher2 probbebly tonight to see what's it like.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

YES! huge bfeild fan ..its not out yet ..is it?

Nah, not yet, but later this year it will be. I believe it's rumored for around the Novermber time frame.

The only thing truely unique thing going for Brink is the SMART movement, and right now most players aren't really spectacular with it. Too many are content with simply sprinting and sliding, and once you get used to that, it's extremely easy to follow.

I'm sure as time goes on, more will become better with it and you'd see some very creative ways of getting around.

For the rest, Dustbowl-type maps for TFC/2 do it better, and I think a squad/fireteam working together as a team in ET or BF will see better returns.

The game really isn't horrible, it's just doesn't really excel at anything outside of the SMART movement.

The customization is cool, however. But it's meaningless as everyone tends to just look the same once you're playing the game anyways and you just look for the colored outlines (red vs. blue).

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Originally posted by Stradden

Jon

No one wants to go to multiple sites to get what they can on one site. 

β€œIt's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin