Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Witcher 2: Can't recommend it (SOME SPOILERS)

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by alextodo

I asume you failed at killing the Kayran ?!? That`s like 15% into the Game. Read some of the books on the Boss scattered throught the gameworld , talk to the locals , craft/buy some traps , craft some potions etc ....

You are a Monster Hunter in the game , so do some research on the monsters you have to kill. The more books you read about them , the more damage you do and also take less dmg from them.

No. I did kill the Kayran. It took me 2 hours. I did some damage, rolled behind a statue, waiting 10 min for HP to recover and did some damage again. Most boring combat ever. Why again are there no health potions?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• alextodoalextodo Member UncommonPosts: 236

Originally posted by Elikal

I asume you failed at killing the Kayran ?!? That`s like 15% into the Game. Read some of the books on the Boss scattered throught the gameworld , talk to the locals , craft/buy some traps , craft some potions etc ....

You are a Monster Hunter in the game , so do some research on the monsters you have to kill. The more books you read about them , the more damage you do and also take less dmg from them.

No. I did kill the Kayran. It took me 2 hours. I did some damage, rolled behind a statue, waiting 10 min for HP to recover and did some damage again. Most boring combat ever. Why again are there no health potions?

There are potions that increase your HP regen ... just like everything else , has to be crafted. 2 Hours for the kayran ?!? Takes like 10 mins tops with a bit of prep. work.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Originally posted by madnagash

EDIT: THe game uses words for genitals and human waste materials EXCESSIVELY. While I don't mind it once and then, it seems every 3rd sentence is like some sailor is supposed to talk. When even Kings can't use a single sentence without talking about feces or genitals... it's just absurd and disgusting.

Well, tbh kings using "flowery" speech is a thing typical for fantasy. Historically, kings were nothing like they are portrayed in official chronicle entries, which where usually written by their request and where simply propaganda.

What is more, kings where known for their harsh manners, the ability to quickly lose temper etc. In addition, in most cases in Witcher kings appear in not very public situations, like eg. parades, but during battles or small conversations where they are not bound by any protocols.

In addition, I'd like to point out, that the author who wrote the original Witcher story is interested in mixing history and fantasy, and this is why the themes in witcher are more gritty and dark and all characters are shades of grey instead of being good and bad. If you go and read history books you won't find many clealy black and white characters - every historical character is judged differently by different authors and that is I think what the developers of the Witcher wanted to convey.

Dude, I have a university degree in history. I know the REAL Middle Ages were bleak and... well terrible. That's why we have fantasy. As I see it in our world people are devolving back into medieval behaviour patterns again. Why would I WANT that?

I want to be the good guy, save the day, slay the monster, get the prince and have my statue in the kingdom and everyone lived happily everafter. I mean, being Shreck only is fun so many times, ya know. Or: Wolverine was cool before EVERY hero was turned into a Wolverine. It loses it's coolness when ALL is dark. Has to do with contrast and storytelling.

It pretty much just sounds like the themes and ideas and overall design of this game is not for you (gritty, realistic, vulgar, hard). It is fine if you do not like it. Just don't play it. Why do you feel the need to complain about it? It isn't for you. Play something that is.

Edit:

Also, the statement that there is no RPG element is patently false, and a little ridiculous.

/thread

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

It revolves more around preperation than simply charging in.

• nybratnybrat Member UncommonPosts: 16

Generally, Witcher 2 is a nice game. It looks good, it has a nice grim humor... but overall, I regret having bought it. There are a few reasons, which just drag down the game in my personal opinion.

(SOME SPOILERS)

- essentially almost everyone is evil, an asshole and a traitor, down to almost the last person; while I don't need unicorns and rainbows, I just lack the motivation. I KNOW in the end, no matter whom I trust, no matter what side I fight for, ALL will be evil, traitor using me for their power games. It is a VERY bad Dragon Age 2 deja vu, where I ended up with the same bleak feeling like "ok, why again did I stay here??"

- EXTREME difficulty: some fights are VERY tough, even on the easy setting, I had to reload PLENTY of times and when you hit reload button so often, I sorta lose the fun

- console-type timed reaction boss fights: I REALLY hate these; I suck at them, and the last thing I expect and want in an RPG are those timed reaction boss fights.

- I had to give up the game due to difficulty: in the last 3rd of the game, there was a boss fight... I just could not win it. You know there is a walkthrough in the game box, but still... I tried it netto over 3 hours, again and again... but I just wasn't able to defeat this boss. So, sadly, the story ended for me. Geralt is dead, his mission failed and the entire lands are in flames. How fun.

Why again did I pay this??

You need to think before fighting. Running in blind wont give you anything. I can't comment on the difficult settings on normal or easy since i play on hard. Its difficult yes, but not impossible.

The "Console-type time reactions" are really easy. If you fell you don't have enough time to press the right buttons, no wonder you think the game is extremly hard.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Nilenya

Originally posted by yevgenii

-snip-

Not putting you down OP, just pointing out that there are two perspectives :) I do agree that Witcher can get quite dark at times, indeed the novels were just the same - dark, real, intense. This isn't a game for the Zelda-megafan but that should have tipped people off when they saw the box art.

Novels?

There are books too?

Yes Andrzej Sapkowski's novels are where the game idea came from. If you like darker fantasy series such as The Black Company or The Song of Fire and Ice, I highly recommend them. Not sure if they have been translated into english yet though.

Now on to the OPs post. Well Elikal it looks like once again you have chosen to agonize over not liking yet another video game. There's a shocker. Now don't get me wrong, I respect you and enjoy reading your posts, but it really seems that you just don't like much of anything. Now you can continue to complain about how dark the Witcher universe is until the cows come home, the fact is the game makers are staying true to the intellectual property they took the game from. The first game was exactly the same, I do not see how the hell you came to be suprised by this. If this annoys you, you are the person at fault and not them. Next time do a little research before you spend your hard earned money on a game without seeing what it is all about.

And FFS stop crying about what you feel a game like this SHOULD be. If you want a game world tailor made to suit your likes and dislikes GO OUT AND MAKE IT yourself. Stop boo hooing here because the game fails to match up with your own ideologies.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Tardcore

-snip-

Not putting you down OP, just pointing out that there are two perspectives :) I do agree that Witcher can get quite dark at times, indeed the novels were just the same - dark, real, intense. This isn't a game for the Zelda-megafan but that should have tipped people off when they saw the box art.

Novels?

There are books too?

Yes Andrzej Sapkowski's novels are where the game idea came from. If you like darker fantasy series such as The Black Company or The Song of Fire and Ice, I highly recommend them. Not sure if they have been translated into english yet though.

Now on to the OPs post. Well Elikal it looks like once again you have chosen to agonize over not liking yet another video game. There's a shocker. Now don't get me wrong, I respect you and enjoy reading your posts, but it really seems that you just don't like much of anything. Now you can continue to complain about how dark the Witcher universe is until the cows come home, the fact is the game makers are staying true to the intellectual property they took the game from. The first game was exactly the same, I do not see how the hell you came to be suprised by this. If this annoys you, you are the person at fault and not them. Next time do a little research before you spend your hard earned money on a game without seeing what it is all about.

And FFS stop crying about what you feel a game like this SHOULD be. If you want a game world tailor made to suit your likes and dislikes GO OUT AND MAKE IT yourself. Stop boo hooing here because the game fails to match up with your own ideologies.

Elikals are interesting animals are they not? I find him to be fantastic at snap judgements that later taper off.  He will go back and play the game and eventually beat it.  I do like these posts he writes though,  it lets me see the other side of things as I don't often run into issues like this in my play time with certain games, so a particularly harrowing experience is fun to read, even though I know its just a passing judgement by a perpetually frustrated player. :) 

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

The Witcher 2 is hands down the RPG GOTY. Bioware should learn a lesson from these guys about how DA2 should have been. And this comes from a die-hard Bioware fan. Yes, the majority of the fights are hard but judging from the thousands of extremely possitive player reviews people welcomed this feature.

The only major flaw is the poor optimization as the game runs poorly even on above average pc's with high settings enabled. Hopefully a patch will solve this.

Originally posted by Shodanas

The Witcher 2 is hands down the RPG GOTY. Bioware should learn a lesson from these guys about how DA2 should have been. And this comes from a die-hard Bioware fan. Yes, the majority of the fights are hard but judging from the thousands of extremely possitive player reviews people welcomed this feature.

The only major flaw is the poor optimization as the game runs poorly even on above average pc's with high settings enabled. Hopefully a patch will solve this.

I wouldn't doubt it, simply because ME3 got pushed to next year image

• xantrisxantris Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by madnagash

EDIT: THe game uses words for genitals and human waste materials EXCESSIVELY. While I don't mind it once and then, it seems every 3rd sentence is like some sailor is supposed to talk. When even Kings can't use a single sentence without talking about feces or genitals... it's just absurd and disgusting.

Well, tbh kings using "flowery" speech is a thing typical for fantasy. Historically, kings were nothing like they are portrayed in official chronicle entries, which where usually written by their request and where simply propaganda.

What is more, kings where known for their harsh manners, the ability to quickly lose temper etc. In addition, in most cases in Witcher kings appear in not very public situations, like eg. parades, but during battles or small conversations where they are not bound by any protocols.

In addition, I'd like to point out, that the author who wrote the original Witcher story is interested in mixing history and fantasy, and this is why the themes in witcher are more gritty and dark and all characters are shades of grey instead of being good and bad. If you go and read history books you won't find many clealy black and white characters - every historical character is judged differently by different authors and that is I think what the developers of the Witcher wanted to convey.

Dude, I have a university degree in history. I know the REAL Middle Ages were bleak and... well terrible. That's why we have fantasy. As I see it in our world people are devolving back into medieval behaviour patterns again. Why would I WANT that?

I want to be the good guy, save the day, slay the monster, get the prince and have my statue in the kingdom and everyone lived happily everafter. I mean, being Shreck only is fun so many times, ya know. Or: Wolverine was cool before EVERY hero was turned into a Wolverine. It loses it's coolness when ALL is dark. Has to do with contrast and storytelling.

The Witcher storyline is about as far from unicorns, fairies, and happily ever after as a fantasy realm gets. A little bit of research would have saved you some money. It would have also saved you the time it took to come rant about how a game designed to be challenging and depict a realistic, gritty society... is neither easy nor fanciful.

Do your research on the Game you're buying instead of buying it and complaining about it not being the type of game you wanted.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Like some of the other posters have stated, do some prep work before you enter into major fights.

Potions, traps, ect ect.

No its not an easy game, I personally prefer it that way. Running into a fight with multiple enemies or " Boss " monsters should be difficult IMO.

The game may not be for you, nothing wrong with that, but not everyone wants an easy game. Doesnt mean its a bad game, just means its not for you. Not to worry tho, I am sure Bioware will release another Faceroll on keyboard easy game soon.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

The witcher 2 is for me, the most visually impressive game i have played to this date, and im still running around the forest around flotsam, cant wait to see more of the game, its very very hard, i died almost 20times in the prologue, but this game really brings back the whole reason i got into rpgs to start with.

to think a small polish company could achieve this is astounding.

oh and @ Elikal: dont say this game is not an rpg, come on, you know better :)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by maskedweasel

-snip-

Novels?

There are books too?

Elikals are interesting animals are they not? I find him to be fantastic at snap judgements that later taper off.  He will go back and play the game and eventually beat it.  I do like these posts he writes though,  it lets me see the other side of things as I don't often run into issues like this in my play time with certain games, so a particularly harrowing experience is fun to read, even though I know its just a passing judgement by a perpetually frustrated player. :) 

Hey, there are only 2 Elikals, me and the other dude from Israel making bullet proof vests and helmets. Go figure. ;)

But seriously: for me gaming has in the last 5 years gone considerable more difficult. I mean, hey I beat those REALLY difficult games of the past! The 1980ies, where RPGs were still really difficult. But I could beat them because it were around the CHARACTER skills, not my own nimble fingers! These days it's all those damn console type of hopping, jumping, evading and rolling around. Maybe I got old too, but more and more games just frustrate the living crap outta me, and I know 1000s of games in the past DIDN'T. Since I presume I did not change SO dramatically, *something* in these games must have changed. And not for better. In never used to "quit" a game in the past, and games like Ultima IV, Icewind Dale or Wizardry 6 were REALLY hard. Those RPGs would make mose kiddo players from today cry in their sleep!

But this... it just beat me. I am no bunnyhopping nimble finger guy, dammit! I didn't expect Witcher 2 bossfights to be like Kingdom Hearts!

@All: Kiddos, I played RPGs when most of you still wet' their diapers! I ain't need no advise about preparation! Now get off my lawn, whippersnappers.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I am closing in on 40 here very soon, too soon IMO lol.

I played all the Baldurs gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape games too when they were released. =)

Dont think its all about being too old, games have changed and you will just have to find something more to your taste.

Sorry you dont like the witcher =( but it all boils down to what kind of games you enjoy. I like RPGs, but not every single one released. IMO DA2 was a waste of hard drive space, while other just love it.

Doesnt mean DA2 is a bad game, I just didnt like it. I did recommend it to a close friend, simply because i knew he would like it.

Bashing the witcher 2 on a forum because you dont like it doesnt make it bad.

• MarkusanMarkusan Member Posts: 92

I also hate twitch based RPGs. RPGs to me should come down to how good your character is and not so much at how good you are. It is fine if you have to choose the correct abilities but having to jump and duck and move around mobs just sucks. I will never ever play any more witcher games. Gief more Elder scrolls games instead!!!

• EerazerEerazer Member Posts: 140

what a massive troll, the game is amazing. i have no idea what he is talking about...

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Generally, The Witcher 2 is a great game. It's gotten great reviews, has improved on every aspect of play, and has stayed true to the novels of the master Polish storyteller Andrej Sapkowski.

1. The difficulty of the game. Remember when games were hard? When you couldn't roll your face on the keyboard while not using any sort of smart itemization or spec strategy and still win with 95% health remaining? When you had to actually pay attention and fight every fight like it was your last? This game takes it back to that time. Its HARD. A refreshing change for the gamer of today that would like an experience that isn't less intellectually challenging than eating a twinkie.

Khm... once, pretty long back in time, only mean of travel was by own feet, walking. That was HARD. Today is today, we travel by miriad of other means. Should I feel nostalgia for feet travel again? Sorry ... I live TODAY, that would be SILLY. Except for somebody that want to enter in Guinnes.

Too hard games = bad, silly, funless games.

• gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by Eerazer

what a massive troll, the game is amazing. i have no idea what he is talking about...

tl;dr   This game is too hard, I've been conditioned by years of faceroll games to expect to never be challenged by the games I play.

QQ

Originally posted by maskedweasel

-snip-

Novels?

There are books too?

Hey, there are only 2 Elikals, me and the other dude from Israel making bullet proof vests and helmets. Go figure. ;)

But seriously: for me gaming has in the last 5 years gone considerable more difficult. I mean, hey I beat those REALLY difficult games of the past! The 1980ies, where RPGs were still really difficult. But I could beat them because it were around the CHARACTER skills, not my own nimble fingers! These days it's all those damn console type of hopping, jumping, evading and rolling around. Maybe I got old too, but more and more games just frustrate the living crap outta me, and I know 1000s of games in the past DIDN'T. Since I presume I did not change SO dramatically, *something* in these games must have changed. And not for better. In never used to "quit" a game in the past, and games like Ultima IV, Icewind Dale or Wizardry 6 were REALLY hard. Those RPGs would make mose kiddo players from today cry in their sleep!

But this... it just beat me. I am no bunnyhopping nimble finger guy, dammit! I didn't expect Witcher 2 bossfights to be like Kingdom Hearts!

@All: Kiddos, I played RPGs when most of you still wet' their diapers! I ain't need no advise about preparation! Now get off my lawn, whippersnappers.

image  You'll beat this one too.  Its only that the game requires some dexterity to complete it,  but what the real killer is.... is the frustration the game causes when you don't complete it.    I find myself being more impatient with games lately rather than finding them too difficult,   but more than that,  I won't continue running the same gag hours on end if I run into a problem I can't solve within a half hour or so.  I love playing games that are tough when they are fun, and when they start to not be fun, I just step away and come back when I want the challenge again.  I think its just part of how we've been groomed as of late to play games.   Less of an attention span for frustration.

There were some parts of ME 2 where I'd get through quite a bit of something, and then die because of a stupid mistake more than once in the same area, and realize I should just take a break before I make myself angry,  and ME2 wasn't all that tough to beat in comparison to some other games I've played.

I think you'll beat the game Elikal,  or join your herd in making bullet proof vests.  Its all a matter of time.  You felt the same way about DCUO and yet you came back and played it for much longer than I expected.  

• xantrisxantris Member Posts: 38

I think some of you guys must be really bad at videogames.  Some of you claim to be older (I'm 29 myself), but I think you'd remember the old NES/SNES/Sega games that were ridiculously hard in comparison to todays games.  It's really a shame you want your videogames prepared for you on a golden platter.  The point of playing a game instead of watching a movie or reading a book is the challenge that is inherient in actually playing the game.

And I'm not saying I'm amazing myself.  I've seen the reload screen quite a few times on my "Normal" playthrough on the TW2, but nothing is so hard that it is beyond managing.    Here are a few tips.  Dodge alot, and use the shield sign religiously.

Man up, games are suppose to be challenging.  Otherwise you might as well just skip to the cutscenes.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Is the combat like Witcher? Where you hold/tab at various times and change stances between group/agile/strong enemies? If thats the case im going to love this game.I loved the first one and was pissed when i didnt finish it and the old rig crashed.Currently playing through Witcher Enhanced Edition before i start Witcher 2

• Delerious1Delerious1 Member Posts: 72

I'm currently closing in on finishing the prologue after a couple hours of play.  My thoughts so far is that:

A.  The game is beautiful.  Definitley one of the best looking pc games ever made for sure.  I hesitate to say best because Crysis(the first game) maxed out is ridiculous especially with realism mods, but anyhow.  Fantastic looking game and I'm only playing it at about 90% of max graphics because of slight cpu bottleneck.

B.  Very enjoyable combat.  (SPOILER ALERT) when you have to get the giant bolt launcher operational I swear I died about 10x in a row before getting into the flow of combat and have died a handful of other times on my way to completing the prologue.  I am playing on normal difficulty. 

I can already tell I will play through the game at least twice to use different talent paths and make different decisions.

So far really enjoying it.

Touching on the subject of difficulty the game is challenging.  I almost got pissed on like the 10th death in a row and then I realized I was actually trying.  At this point I grinned and buckled down and then combat started to flow better.  I have to give kudos to CD Projectk because the combat is tough and entertaining.

For anyone that complains about the difficulty then you might as well set it on easy.  If you can't survive on easy then...

I think back to games like Contra and Ninja Gaiden on the NES and the degree of difficulty of those games and the precision required and it makes modern games pale by comparison.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I have been reading everything I can find about the Witcher 2 because I am looking for my next game right now and the timing seems to be perfect.  I have been lurking around Gamespot, G4, and even Amazon to see what the players are saying about it and it is almost universally very good.  What is also almost universal is that people say this is a HARD game, which gives me pause.  I am also a vet of games such as Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, among many others.  There is a fine line between difficult and just plain frustrating, though, and I am wondering how close this game gets to that point. 

I played Oblivion to the point where it seemed like the creatures I was fighting were getting stronger much faster than my character and I would end up backpeddling and running back and forth endlessly while firing off spells to the point where it just stopped being fun.  Add to that the fact that I am just not much of a sandbox type of person who enjoys just wandering around aimlessly hoping to find something interesting and you have a recipe for failure.  Oblivion was one of the few RPGs that I just stopped playing, even though everyone seemed to be saying it was a fantastic game.

This game seems to be extremely frustrating to some people, but others are loving the difficulty.  I wonder if this game is just difficult enough to be satisfying or just plain frustrating.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• LatellaLatella Member Posts: 189

I gotta love all this people who go "I no longer have time to dedicate to games, so games should be dumbed down for my own convenience and difficult games should stay in the past".

It´s like "Selfish" but  to a whole new level.

Rawr.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Thats the style of Witcher, where the player affects the gameplay just as much as the character inside, it isn't the greateset system, but it certainly is a fresh experience.

Dunno why you compare Witcher to Dragon Age II, never in any dragon age games are there requirements for  faster reaction.....pause button remember?

Don't see the problem with the game, it might be hard, but it was a joy to play, not many games kill your character this many times, requiring the use of alchemy potions to buff yourself up to the task.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.