Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Eve time consuming?

SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203

I'm kinda getting burned out on Fantasy MMOrpgs latley and kinda want to mess around with a Sci-fi MMO. First that comes to mind is deffinetly Eve. I played it a few times in free trials back in the day but always got pulled away to a Fantasy MMO from friends. It seemed really good though. Now i guess the real question is, not how long it takes to advance, but if i have to stay on for hours at a time to play. ( for example. like pvp and other content. ) im asking because i don't have hours and hours to play consistantly anymore and sometimes i have to pull away from the computer at moments here and there to do quick task. Would i be able to play Eve?

Comments

• demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632

EVE is as time consuming as you make it.

• rainwolfrainwolf Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by JthX

I'm kinda getting burned out on Fantasy MMOrpgs latley and kinda want to mess around with a Sci-fi MMO. First that comes to mind is deffinetly Eve. I played it a few times in free trials back in the day but always got pulled away to a Fantasy MMO from friends. It seemed really good though. Now i guess the real question is, not how long it takes to advance, but if i have to stay on for hours at a time to play. ( for example. like pvp and other content. ) im asking because i don't have hours and hours to play consistantly anymore and sometimes i have to pull away from the computer at moments here and there to do quick task. Would i be able to play Eve?

Me and my brother run a small mining corporation and are only on for a few hours a day, tops.  It works fine, every now and then we have to jump on to update a skill queue, but that's the only time it imposes at all.

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by rainwolf

Me and my brother run a small mining corporation and are only on for a few hours a day, tops.  It works fine, every now and then we have to jump on to update a skill queue, but that's the only time it imposes at all.

What purpose does mining serve?

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Time consuming? Depends on what YOU do.

PVP - Generally a cat and mouse game, time wasted on target acquisation/assesment. Actual combat is usually quick.

PVE (Combat) - 1-2 Hours per day is sufficient

PVE (Mining) - 2-4 hours tops

Industry (MFG Only) OR Science (research/BP copying) - 30mins setting up production/research queue, 1hr moving materials

Industry (Space farmville/Planetary Interaction) - 1 hour picking up stuff

Market - About 1-2 hours, time mostly used on market analysis (ie someone playing with the market)

• rainwolfrainwolf Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by rainwolf

What purpose does mining serve?

We produce bulk orders of the raw materials needed to build everything that is used in the EVE Universe.  We strip mine asteroid belts and refine the ores into materials.  We then ship those materials to a nearby trading hub where industrialist characters use them to build ships, weapons, ammunition, other modules.  Players use those things to wage war.

Every player ship that gets blown up was built by someone, somewhere, and they all used minerals provided by miners.

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203

Sounds awesome. Might give it a shot

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

...did the little piggy cry wee-wee-wee all the way home?

...does a former drill sergeant make a terrible therapist?

...Can football announcer Andres Cantor make any game exciting?

...is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush?

...does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?

...was Honest Abe really honest?

I kid, I kid. (EVE is the MMORPG you can pay to *not* play.) 

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Sounds awesome. Might give it a shot

EVE attracts a lot of people who have jobs and lives, because the time-based skill system relives you of a whole subset of the MMO grind: there is no level grinding at all. You dont have to do stuff you dont really want to do just to level up.

It will feel weird at first, but after a while you wont want it any other way. Now I just find the posts of people who want to level grind incomprehensible. Who likes grinding so much? Why would you want that?

There's nothing forcing you to play long sessions in EVE. A few types of PvP (eg: large fleet, extended roams in hostile space) will be pretty much barred to you if you can't stay on for 3-4 hours, but there are other types of PvP available. You can join Red vs Blue for the nearest thing EVE offers to "Arena Combat", you could just be a pirate in lo-sec space logging in now and then for an hour or two in the hope of a juicy target. There are many options for casual PvP.

However, what with time based skilling and all, your "advancement" in EVE (money, assets, friends, connections, reputation, experience) depends on you doing stuff. The more you do, the more you will advance yourself. It's worth noting that of the 7 pillars of EVE advancement, only 2 (Skillpoints, ISK) show up on your character sheet. The rest are about achieving your goals and interacting with other players. This is probably going to be the biggest difference you'll find between EVE and the fantasy MMOs you're used to.

PS PM me if you want a 21-day trial buddy invite. I'll send it to you along with an explaination of what the benefits of this are. It's a good way to get a head-start the game. I recommend creating a single-use webmail acount for this with a different user name and PW to everything else you use.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

It varies alot, of course, but if you want to be in a big alliance, be on OPs (space raid pvp), have multiple ship setups at different locations, rat to get ISK for ships and stuff, perhaps produce a few items then it takes a shitload of time, especially in 0.0 space. Most of it is logistics and research to be competitive.

That is my experience at least, beeing in an alliance in the Northern Coalition. I'm sure there are less time consuming ways and methods but all in all 0.0 pvp takes alot of time.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

the real action is definitely in 0.0 in the various Corps/alliances that exist there.. so to have the most fun .. imo .. at least.. you have to join one of them..  .. as for time consuming.. yes.. definitely.. even a simple fast frig/cruiser Roam can take several hours.. mostly a case of hit hard and fast and run like hell.. .. its fun.. but PVP in Eve is so varied.. i couldnt begin to cover it all.. but its all 'time consuming' .. so you need to set aside 3 - 4 hours ideally to take part.. image

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Empire space is like City - developed infrastructure, the buzz and many opportunities.

Null sec on the other hand is the Countryside - harsh, silent and hostile...also full of rednecks, hehe

• JB47394JB47394 Member Posts: 409

EVE Online is like any other MMO; the more you get involved with other players and build relationships, the more time you tend to put into the game.

You can play it solo and do a great variety of activities on your own schedule.  You can hook up with one or two other players and do stuff on a schedule or just whenever you all happen to be online.  You can get into an existing corporation and have some expectations placed on you to help out in certain operations at certain times, or to fill a certain quota, etc.  You can also get into 0.0 activities, which almost invariably involve an alliance of corporations working together where you very definitely have expectations placed on you to do something constructive for the alliance.  Defend the alliance space, help out in expanding alliance space, contribute to the coffers, perhaps even be encouraged to get into a specific set of skills and ship types.  The alliance players can get pretty serious.

If you want to keep your time investment down, do what the miner said; mine.  That's where I spend the bulk of my time.  I play solo while still chatting with folks from a corporation that I used to belong to.  I alternate mining with some NPC hunting and some planetary industry.  All are available within one star system and you just do whichever you like.

Note that EVE Online's mining does not require your participation.  You just put your ship somewhere, turn on the mining equipment and it starts mining for you.  You babysit the ship and eventually change ships to transport your ore from the mining site to a space station.  Having two displays on your computer is a very good idea.  I tend to read the web or watch Netflix while mining.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Mission running and complexes are another way to earn ISK in EVE more or less on your own schedule if mining isn't your forte.

(Every time someone fits a ship with a mining laser a kitten dies somewhere in the universe) image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

It's as time consuming as any other hobby.

I logged in for about 10 minutes today and later on tonight it'll be another 5 minutes, so that's a total of 15 minutes a day.  I don`t need to do that everyday and only do that because that`s how I set up my planets.

If I have more than an hour to kill but less than two I`ll relax and mine asteroids while examining the market.

If I have more than 2 hours I`ll do something shady which I don`t like to talk about in public... or play the market... or spend a relaxing time exploring... or run a mission or two but it`s been a while since I`ve done that... or ship product around for profit...  It depends on how I feel.

• mm0wigginsmm0wiggins Member Posts: 270

so far, every one of these responses is something you should take into consideration.  They're all honest, straight forward, and most importantly, they're all pretty much right.

Eve is and always has been what you make of it.  If you don't have much time to play, you should consider that when you make your decision on how to build your character, and where your character operates from, and who you consort with.

I've played since 2004, and I used to have all the time in the world for large OPs (space raids, as stated before) and long winded free roams and even my share of piracy (ok so that's an understatement, I did way too much pirating) --

nowadays, I have a family, a job, and a social life, and I never realized until now how perfect EVE is for changing lifestyles or even just lifestyles that don't have too much room for gaming.    I log on now to switch skills and to do some exploring (i really like the new scan probe mechanics and interface) and I get much fulfillment out of finding ruins, anomolies, gas clouds, hacking sites, secret/hidden NPC conclaves, etc... 

In terms of PVP, i think it's a bit harder to come by as a solo player with little time on my hands.   You don't simply jump in a ship, undock, and start pewpewing at the first player you see.  On the otherhand, if you join Red vs Blue or sit outside a market hub main production/market station, you'll find plenty of opportunities for pvp.   I don't enjoy those avenues personally, as it feels more sanctioned.   It feels like an arena or duel instead.  usually an even match, and usually agreed terms and conditions, as well as limitations on ships to use...  That's not real PVP imo.  Especially in EVE...   There has to be a certain amount of tension for me to get the rush.   I have to have a fear of losing my ship, or the excitement of knowing my opponent is afraid to lose their ship.      

It's the gritty nature of EVE, and once you make your first real legitimate kill, and then loot the leftover peices of ship and their cargo and claim it as yours, you will understand ;-)

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

If you want to move up the corp ladder, it's about as hardcore as it gets. Or you can log in for 20 min a day a just do PI. That's the beauty of EVE.

When WOW first came out, the first players in that game were pretty hardcore, and grinded like crazy to be the best. However, the truth is, the players that chose not to play WOW and played EVE instead were the true hardcore nerd freaks. You could easily do nothing else for months on end, and many did.

There is a ghost of that game that still remains.

• mm0wigginsmm0wiggins Member Posts: 270

Originally posted by qazyman

If you want to move up the corp ladder, it's about as hardcore as it gets. Or you can log in for 20 min a day a just do PI. That's the beauty of EVE.

When WOW first came out, the first players in that game were pretty hardcore, and grinded like crazy to be the best. However, the truth is, the players that chose not to play WOW and played EVE instead were the true hardcore nerd freaks. You could easily do nothing else for months on end, and many did.

A ghost of what game? EVE or WoW? 

As those were the only 2 you mentioned, I assume you meant one of them?  ;)

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

• Endo13Endo13 Member Posts: 187

Originally posted by demolishIX

EVE is as time consuming as you make it.

That's exactly what I was going to post when I saw the thread title.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by mm0wiggins

Originally posted by qazyman

A ghost of what game? EVE or WoW? 

As those were the only 2 you mentioned, I assume you meant one of them?  ;)

LOL a really fair point as both have changed in different ways, but I was talking about EVE. I was thinking about spending weeks to scan down deep safe spots and gate bookmarks through territory you thought might be safer, and the hours upon hours it would take to do the most basic things.

I did realize I was leaving a lot of games out of the mix. It’s just that I’m amazed how gaming always comes back to CCP and Blizzard, for me anyway. (I am a big Valve fan too, but who has the time) With SC2, Diablo 3, WOD and Incarna, I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

Eve will take over your life, to prevent this happening you need a very strong will, strong enough that you can kick your own arse out of that computer chair and do something RL.

• viparesvipares Member Posts: 15

It is pretty time consuming. Though, in most cases you can choose when and for how long you want to play.

But then, lets say that 1 free hour is minimum you should consider for doing anything worth noting - is it a haul from Jita > Amarr, or making a belt rat chain, doing a mission, or do some PVP.

Hope this is what you were asking for.