Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot: 2011 Re-Review

Comments

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    cross realming has hurt the game alot in some ways. there is no realm pride and no need to have ally if the other realm is to strong. and the guilds are lways the same people there is nothing new or a newer community
  • daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Sovrath

I actually found the graphics quite acceptable. One has the choice of the original avatar graphics (which are not acceptable) or a newer designed avatar graphic.

One can lose themselves in the world if they allow themselves that pleasure.

My issue with the game came more from the skills. For the short time  I tried the game I couldn't quite figure out what my skills were actually doing. So I ended up spamming skills as they came available.

It was also a little difficult for me to assign points. I think initially I assigned some points to single handed sword abilities when it wasn't needed for my chanpion.

still, one would see announcements of x keep being taken so there is a group of die hard fans playing this game.

It's a steep learning curve, but the skills in DAOC have way more depth and skill requirement than any other game I've played since.  Unfortunately after DAOC every thing is WoW GCD's...even WAR went that route.  Skills build off of each other in chains, you have reactional skills, positional skills....it was very complex, but beat the hell out of the "1,2,3,4" you get now.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

DAoC is still the best PvP game...nothing else comes remotely close.  It still boggles my mind how noone in the world of game development has tried to copy the template set forth by DAoC.  3 realms, open world pvp, keep seiges, battlegrounds, lots of classes/races, lots of character customization....is it really that hard?  Just copy DAoC word for word and just leave out ToA...you'll have 20 million subscribers (Blizzard eat your heart out :P)

I think most people discount DAoC because of it's age, but it's still the best when it comes to PvP.  If you haven't played level 50 keep seiging, you're missing out bigtime!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

If they started a new server I would give it a go, but I hate joining old communities in an ancient game and playing catch up.

One of the key processesin ongoing MMORPGs should be merging old servers to open a fresh one once a year (or with every expack). I am sure it is the lack of a fresh 'equal' start that puts many off starting these games late, or even returning to them after a long break.

• gringemoregringemore Member Posts: 182

lol so funny that this is posted. Myself and a small group of friends just went back to this game as it far outshines anything on the market atm. We just ended our free 10 days they give you after being away from the game for 90 days. So if youve had an active account in the past no need to get the free trial, you can activate your account for 10 days free with all your old characters. The old servers have been archived so at the start up screen you click the archived servers button , all the old servers will appear. You then log into your old toon and just type /freexfer ywain# as ywain is the name of all the new servers. The number part will be from ywain1 to ywain10. Also you can have all three realms on one server there is a realm button now that allows you to switch. There is a timer though , to prevent crossrealming. The transfer took about 15 mins .

So we just finished our 10 free days and are moving forward to subscribe once again. This is one of the few mmorpgs out there that I can not help but return to every time a newer game disapoints the hell out of me.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Mark Jacobs need to go buy the IP rights back and form a new company, with some of the previous talents that used to work on DAOC, and give us a real DAOC 2.

I don't know why companies suck at making sequels, especially sequels for old classic games.  Is it really that hard to live up to people's expectations?  Turbine made AC2, completely changed the game, so they never got the support of AC1 players.  It bombed.  SOE made EQ2, completed changed the game so it was nothing like EQ1, they never got the support of EQ1 players.  While it didn't bomb or get shutdown, it never reached half of EQ1's peak subscription.  Mythic made WAR, something that was half WoW, half DAOC.  It turned out to be half as good as WoW in PvE, and half as good as DAOC in RvR.  It bombed hardcore.

Why can't these companies just make revamps of the classics, better engine, better graphics, better UI, better AI.  But change less of the core concept of the originals, less is more, less is better!  I'd jump in DAOC right now if it was given a facelift while retaining the same gameplay, just as I'd jump in AC right now if it was given a facelift while retaining the same lore & gameplay.

I'll cut them some slack, sequels are never easy to make.  Look at movies, a lot of the sequels of good movies turned out really horrible.  But every once in awhile you'll find a sequel of a movie that is better than the first.  I don't know if we've seen that happen in MMO's yet.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• gringemoregringemore Member Posts: 182

/agree w Mardy   - I think about that all the time, dream even. DAoC with updated graphics and flawless ai oldschool frontiers no Atlantis expansion.

and one other that comes to mind is Shadowbane jeez i would pay dearly for a remake of that with the facelift we speak of.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

It's a real catch 22.

Start the free trial.....why? The fact is, as pointed out in the same article no-one plays 1-49 anymore. So if you get the free trial you will be soloing and then facing sc'd twinks in the lower BG's.....zero fun and a HUGE pointless (and now severeley dated) grind.

This is why DAoC is in such a terrible state, it's ALWAYS been unfriendly to new players and as such, they rarely stay.

Plus im not sure how anything positive can be said about the current state of the game, 1 server with TOA, about 3k players playing a game abandoned by Mythic...oh, wait, Mythic no longer exists.

Yes, it WAS a great game but it's dead now, let it rest in peace. If it went F2P it'd explode in population, but it's just not worth a sub anymore.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

I played this years ago and loved it for a good while. I always liked that the Realms were exclusive and I think realm switching has probably done for any lingering interest I had for going back for a couple of months.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

First off the graphics are not that bad.  At least you don't see skimpy female armor running all over.

The game does have two major issues, far too much overpowered CC and stealth.  Of course it has always been that way.

• WoodwashereWoodwashere Member UncommonPosts: 11

Agree with you 100% Mardy. As much as I love the original Camelot.. I'll always be pushing for a DAoC2. 

I don't know about you guys.. maybe it's due to my DAoC origins.. but these new WoW based MMO's are a real turn-off for me. Hell, I recently tried Regnum Online/Realms Online since it officially released for NA... and it felt "decade-old", and that .. was a good thing. I still hop into this game more often then the number of "fancy-new-WoW-models" that get released. (Won't point any fingers)

Voice your opinion over at http://daoc2.com

• LawlieLawlie Member Posts: 49

DAoC needs to go F2P before it dies, give it one last hope

And i think the only reason DAoC is alive right now is because of Bots, giving them double the subscription fees, since everyone and there mother seems to own one

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

BEST PVP EXPERIENCE EVER and I hate pvp.  I do hate the GUI.  The interface needs an overhaul. 

I think these "re-reviews" are done as advertisement.

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by Roin

Originally posted by SpikeX

Some of the comments are just unfair.

3.  Buff Bot -  it's been that way since the release of the game.  Nothing that mythic changed or gutted.  If you don't have one you can use a friends.  A buffbot can typically buff 3 people.  Not to mention some people carry 3 accounts so they have 2 different buff bots.  Also, if you are 8v8ing you will get buffs from your healers anyway.  Not a big deal.  Been dealing with it since like 2003.

So that makes it ok?  If Mythic had done something about the problem. (And YES buffbots in a PvP/RvR game are a problem)  It wouldn't have progressed to the point.  Where people just gave up and tolerate it. Buffbots have no place in RvR game unless they are being played full time by a person.

This.

One reason why I quit was due to buffbots. 

• PhoenixWritePhoenixWrite Member Posts: 33

Just for your information...there is still an European Cluster too. I know it is not listed at the "State of Realm", maybe Mythic thinks they can that way forget about us easier, but it is still there and has something about 300-600 Players.

That said, wasn't there a rereview already, how many do you like to do?

• WellingtonWellington Member UncommonPosts: 2

I used to love this game, but returning now would just make me sad. Besides any of the other issues mentioned I might agree with I lost my character's housing long ago along with their trophies and such since you had to pay rent each week and only some items were protected from that.

• MMOWarriorMMOWarrior Member UncommonPosts: 33

I still get homesick for DAoC..  and have gone back more than once.. as much as I love this game it just doesn't hold the same magic... DAoC II please... developed by someone that won't run the game into the ground again..

• zogalzogal Member Posts: 8

this game is good.

just for fun

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

I can live with less than state-of-the-art graphics as long as the gameplay is good. DAoC's melee system is by far the best I have come across. Unfortunately, as everyone became botted casters became the king of the game. There are many other issues that should have been dealt with long ago.

The New Frontier was a travesty of design. The towers which were supposed to be defensive bastions turned out to be tools for the attackers. The keep designs were so boring and generic compared to OF's keeps, and the worst were the new relic keeps which made no sense.

While I long for a DAoC2, I fear it will dissappoint me.

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

I still think Daoc has great graphics. The world is beautiful, a place i enjoy spending a lot of time. The gameplay in RvR is so fun and exciting after 9 years i still have a blast.

3 things keep me from playing Daoc right now, 1 is summer, 2 is my GF who thinks i play too much, (shes right), and three is buff bots.

Its hard for me to stomach that i have to pay 30 dollars a month to play a game that is almost 10 years old, even if it is still the best game out there.

Having said that, i must say that Daoc is special in so many ways that other games are not. I love the Epic mobs in Daoc. I like how they each have their own unique tactics to defeat them, and i like that i can kill some pretty uber mobs with only a couple people using tactics.

There is nothing in any other game like RvR. The fact that it is in a seperate zone, which does contain some pve with higher rewards, but is mainly for PVP, and completely unecessary for PVE unless you want the bonus.

Spam and fame. When you kill someone in Daoc everyone sees it. After you have been around for a while and achieved a decent realm rank, you will get to know your enemies, and they will know you. It makes it so much more fun when you have hated enemies. In games like Rift, you fight people from other servers, you usually have no idea who anyone is, and likely you will never see them again. In Daoc you will be known.

For me this is what makes RvR seem special. If i get a clean kill on a hated enemy it is much more than just some arps and a little gold. If i die to said enemy it is just more fuel for my fire.

Best game i have ever played by a mile and a half.

• LawlieLawlie Member Posts: 49

I agree with the casters being the kings of the game, but as a stealther they were my bread and butter, nothing like 1 shotting a caster with my SB,  but what i found messed up was how fast casters could kill tanks, it was pretty rediculous i mean seeing a caster nuke down a tank with 4-5 spells is just wrong...

• StormbowStormbow Member UncommonPosts: 201

There is now a 5 minute cool-down timer when cross-realming.

There, I fixed that sentence for you.

• StormbowStormbow Member UncommonPosts: 201

The DAoC community continues to be packed with internet trolls; most guilds and players don't want anything to do with you if you're under Realm Rank 5.

There; fixed another sentence that was grossly misleading for you.

• mredondomredondo Member Posts: 5

I never played DOAC but one of my loving PvP, Realm vs Realm games of all time is RF Online (Rising Force Online) like DOAC 3 races, one HUGE War for a resource spot for upgrading your equipment... NUKES, COOL BATTLES and REALLY FUN.

But the community have fallen soo deep is SAD....

• Skyy_HighSkyy_High Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 138

Originally posted by Endo13

Epic level raids are almost mandatory to keep up with the latest and greatest equipment, which can give you a notable advantage during RvR.

That's the only thing I needed to know. Glad I never bothered with this game.

Now, if we could just have a good developer make a good similar 3-faction game that's NOT a gear grind...

GW2 will have big 3-faction combat, and it certainly won't be a gear grind. On the other hand, you'll be rotating the "faction" (read: server) you're fighting every week, so it's not exactly the same thing, but they have said that the servers will be ranked and paired up with similarly-ranked servers, so it might crystallize to a point where the same very few servers rotate in competition with each other constantly.