Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Star Wars MMORPG theme getting old?

124»

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

If they can do what Eve has done with the detail and universe combined with this new one it might of gotten me to play just for that immersive experience.

{mod edit}

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

there still isn't a good Star Wars MMORPG......

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by bezado

If they can do what Eve has done with the detail and universe combined with this new one it might of gotten me to play just for that immersive experience.

{mod edit}

I did not want them to have spave combat unless it was Tie fighter or Xwing. EvE stye would be a good option but I know that would be like making two games in one, Not possibe at leat in my opion.

and your second point Whaaaaaaa I want my binky..... :  )

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

Never gets old!!

It just needs to get a little darker or grittier. It's gotten too childish or silly. I know it's for children, but so is Lord of the Rings. The books and the movies werent childish for that IP and have held their appeal better because of it in my opinion. The new direction of SW was an insult to some hard core fans.

Like the "decieved" and 'hope' trailers for Swtor. SW needs to go in that direction.

If they wanted action, make it badass, not feminine.

Good post I agree. And yeah Never gets old.

Originally posted by kegtap

{mod edit}

I did not want them to have spave combat unless it was Tie fighter or Xwing. EvE stye would be a good option but I know that would be like making two games in one, Not possibe at leat in my opion.

{mod edit}

Thanks! Kegtap was my EQ toon. 

Maybe we can come up with a Binky award instead of advanced , hardcore etc... Binky will be an option. : )

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

Maybe we can come up with a Binky award instead of advanced , hardcore etc... Binky will be an option. : )

LOL yeah totally. Kegtap awesome name. I played launch till 04 quit then came back for a few more then quit again. Now to get my EQ fix I log onto a emulator server for fun, not the same but you get the idea, no sub fee for only wanting to run around lol.

I actually used the original ui about two months ago on one the emulator servers, man that small tiny window to see the game world made it so much more fun, limiting your field of view and how much you could see. That view always made you paranoid like WTF is around me, whats behind me haha, good times.

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

LOL yeah totally. Kegtap awesome name. I played launch till 04 quit then came back for a few more then quit again. Now to get my EQ fix I log onto a emulator server for fun, not the same but you get the idea, no sub fee for only wanting to run around lol.

I actually used the original ui about two months ago on one the emulator servers, man that small tiny window to see the game world made it so much more fun, limiting your field of view and how much you could see. That view always made you paranoid like WTF is around me, whats behind me haha, good times.

I think we are on the same server but I have not played in a couple of months and thank you.

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by Swanea

This seems sort of silly in my mind, and since I know you are not a REAL troll like myself, I wonder why you'd think this.

There is Everquest, EQ2, and EQNext? or something being made.  Is an EQ MMORPG getting old?  What about the Perfect World copies made by that company?  Guild Wars and GW2.  No problems with those?

Two different games by two different companies with two different settings.  One was a themepark sandbox, the other a big themepark.  I GUESS you could count the web game for Clone Wars, even though that is just mini games.

Basically, No, it sure isn't.  I know many of the normal haters will say otherwise.  People that don't like SW will of course be against it.  Those that enjoy SW will be for it.  Those that are indifferent just really won't care either way.

There, all answered.

Well that is different since it was doctrinated into the whole market. Literally it was the first true 3d mmorpg. Any mmorpg that is pretty much classic fantasy will always be part it, even if you remake titles of it over and over. But a movie into an mmorpg is kinda a short road to begin with, however; gets lots of attention due to the cult following. It does in my eyes become a yawn fest since I am not a fan of the online format of Star Wars, loved the movies though. So just a forum to ask if anyone else seems be perspectively pointed in my direction.

It seems the light saber nerds are way to excited everywhere I read and see this and that. I guess each person views this differently though. But just keep in mind it's not original and started out as a mmorpg, but rather a movie series.

Though you are right, the first MMO was completely based off of the movies, the new one is not.  The Old Republic's concept and lore are all derived from a previous game, Knights of the Old Republic, which was based on a concept they created on their own, which is now officially part of the expanded universe.  Anything Star Wars related that isn't in the movies is part of this expanded universe and it is immensly popular with almost all Star Wars fans.  I find it hard to be a Star Wars fan and completely ignore the EU; but, I see a lot of stubborn die hards who do it.  Reminds me of Plinkett in the Red Letter Media reviews.  lol

Anyways, people being drawn to TOR in mass like moths to a flame is no different than people being drawn to a mega IP like Diablo.  It's a well known genra that almost everyone loves, I find no reason NOT to make an MMO based on one of the most popular RPGs of all time;  KOTOR.  It is still one of the top rated RPGs of all time as well as the top rated Star Wars game of all time.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Warmaker

For those who are not a mmorpg Star Wars fan, do you guys get sick of the fans overly excited expectations for the theme?

I am a fan of Star Wars but never was for the online game, and now the new one coming out. I seen them growing up the movies, then in my teens and the last ones, kinda over the whole star wars thing. I just don't see the exciting factor there like you guys with light sabers and Jedi powers. Maybe I am more impressed by the movies. So what is the whole nerd excitement still over after all these years ever since SONY basically screwed your first one up. Are light sabers really that interesting over maybe Indiana Jones or Ghostbusters, now those would make cool mmorpg's.

Expecting some hate but nothing I said was hateful, just a question on thoughts if anyone else sees it like me that the whole Star Wars thing is over played even though it had one major title previously for a mmorpg.

I'm an old Star Wars fan (Original Trilogy all the way; Prequels suck; Han shot first image).  Not excited at all about SWTOR.  As a matter of fact, I do have big gripes about what BioWare has shown / said about its gameplay.  Still, I will not fault fans for being excited about something.

Like me and Hockey.  I don't care much for it but I don't gripe about it when my friends who are heavily into it talk about it.

You're also going into old and new Star Wars Fandom.  That's a different thing itself.  But in regards to Star Wars itself, I do things simple.  I just disregard alot of the newer stuff and take solace with the older stuff (ESB all the way, baby).

I agree with you. Only thing is there is a difference in showing your love for a game versus hyping it just cause you think it's better then everything else. Same can be said for how warhammer online was so hyped by fans and turned out to be a total POS. I say go ahead say you like the game but don't say how it's the best game ever and will kill other mmorpgs.

Ah yes, the Pre-Release Hype Machine.  I bought into that for AoC and WAR at release and both were utter tripe.  I'm alot more cautious these days.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Kyleran

But back on topic, I'll play SWTOR, just to be like everyone else, and who knows, I'll probably have some fun doing it.

But it certainly isn't the fulfillment of my lifelong dream or anything.

Speaking of other franchises, a Dune MMORPG would be great, or a Blade Runner MMORPG or even a smart and unforgiving Aliens MMOFPS, or one that plays in Ian M Banks Culture universe or Greg Bear's The Way universe from his Eon and Eternity books.

/offtopic

There already was a Aliens Online MMO, back in the late 90's by Mythic(Now Bioware-Mythic) and Fox Enterainment.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/aliensonline/

• LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282

It's not getting old to me.   SWTOR could be the greatest MMO IMO and I would still be psyched if BW was also making a new SW MMO based in the future (post-ROTJ).

• i would say the fantasy theme is getting way older, i mean theres only 2 starwars mmo's released atm: swg and clone wars adventures. Soon the old republic will be out, but still.....how many fantasy theme mmos are there?