Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: The Official Review

12345679»

Comments

• severd-xseverd-x Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by eddieg50

The bar is now set so low that almost anything can pass muster.  can you play it on most machines? you can-well it must be a great game. Do they have a ton of quests?-they do then it must be a great game. Is there any type of crafting?-there is wow must be a great game. can you chat easily?-yea must be a great game. Do the mobs give me any type of resistance?-they do while it must be a great game.     How about some type of creativity! Are the quests well thought out, do they have any type of story line that continues for many levels. Is combat fun or do I just keep swinging my sword or throwing my fire ball til I start to cry with boredom. Do I just run around collecting stuff then throw it on a table and voi-la there is my nice shiny bobble-or do I have to work just a little combine a few ingrediants a bit of magic and then voi-la. Can you fly , go underground make a clone of yourself-just something different. Are the mobs just standing there or do they move with any purpose maybe even hiding behind that rock.  

Rift just seems like they took everyones mediocrity and said " here masses is what I have for you now bow down to the god of sameness and ehhhh"  No I will not bow down to your so called god , save me from this abyss of nothing

Since D2 I've been extremely interested in role playing games.  I was one of those kids that allways got the next genereation system after it was being givin away at the goodwill.  I remember finding DAOC at the goodwill, buying it and not haveing a comp to play it on.  I just looked at the pictures and read the manual.  Now that I can have the time and afford it, I really would like to indulge my pre adolescent fantasies.  But it seems the legends of old have fallen.  Review after review seems to conclude that games are just not genuine in their manifestation.  As if game developers are sitting on the toilet and all they can grunt out is a few air biscuits.  I think the large part of this is due to the companies and their desire to make money, rather than produce a genuine article.  Their is a large enough community just salivateing for the next big adventure.  But games like WOW rain supreme, dude if I wanted to go to Disneyland, I'd rather play Mickey's Toontown.  Real mmo's shouldn't be looking to appease the masses, but to make a mmo so good.  Fans of that genre come out of the would work, like the starving fiends we are.  I'ts sorely dissapointing the lack of an mmo that holds dignity.  You can't beat wow at their own game, but I want to play a differant one. 

Originally posted by Holice

Originally posted by Romanjisan

To all you guys out there bashing Trion on "originality", just how "original" is a game supposed to be?  Ok, let's take out questing, leveling, dungeons, pvp, crafting, talent speccing, and anything else that makes a game and what do you have?  Nothing, that's what!  Yeah, a game with nothing sounds really fun.  And games that have tried to be "daring", "innovative", and "original" are also no longer around except for Eve.  In fact, Eve is the only  game that I know of that was "original" and "innovative" in any real sense of the word.

No, I don't look for "originality" of mechanics in a game, I look for fun and new content.  The way mmo's are  done now are fine.  The only two things that bother me about most new games that come out is that (a) they have no content to speak of and (b) they're buggy as hell.

EXACTLY!!!!!

The game runs better than any game I have been with at launch over the past 5 years. That in itself is terrific. The graphics are perfect for what the game is. Take a look at the detail of a Rift opening and look at it in the sky, its very well detailed. The story-line is great as well. And because they have so many different planes of elements, they have so much room for content its absurd. And to speak of content, launch content is jam packed, with a nice patch and new content out only a month after launch.

I'm so sick of hearing people say Rift lacks originality. No game has ever allowed you to pick a calling and then choose from 8 different souls to customize your toon. How many other games are there where a rogue can be ranged dps, melee dps, tank and healer with the click of a button?

The rift invasions are not static pq's like in warhammer. Sure they are similar in open grouping and evolving phases, but thats where it ends. Rifts can pop up anywhere at any time, and thats the beauty of them. I can be questing in any part of the zone and suddenly a rift shows up to break the quest grind. And they are both solo and group friendly. And now invasions are a HUGE original addition. From the start beginning emote to the end boss battle, rift invasions are terrific. There is nothing more fun than desperately trying to hold on to a wardstone while another mass group is trying to shut down rifts.

They have loads of factions for people that love to faction grind. Both through pve zones, rifts and pvp. They have terrific rewards from all paths you choose. And the itemization is almost perfect for a majority of their loot, unlike games like AoC at release.

Because a game takes a warfront system that works, a crafting system that works, and a questing system that works does not mean lack of originality. They took working systems and added their story to them and the story and environments is what makes it original.

I can quote again what I wrote previously in that, if you guys were reviewing cars now a days, would you never drive another because cars keep being made with tires and doors? I think not. Why? Because thats what it takes for a car to work properly nowadays. Sure a time may come when things change, but the technology is not there yet. So why create something that wll not work do to technology restrictions, when you can improve, customize and flesh out a system that has become the industry standard?

You can not say a game is bad because it is similar to something you played in the past.  You have to be unbiased and think about the game as its own entity. Is it fun to play? If you say no, and the answer is because you yourself are bored with fantasy mmo's, then you're opinion is invalid. You will be bored with anything. If you say no, because of bad game design, bad infrastructure, bugs, exploits, etc then your opinion is valid.

Rift has no game breaking bugs. Has great servers. Deals well with exploits and values its community feedback. Rift is a great game and Trion a good starting developer.  If you are bored, just say it, and stop blaming the game for your lack of interest, when in reality you just aren't interested in the genre any more.

And for those that are looking forward to TOR, I hate to tell you this, but a majority of the quests are the standard go kill this, go get that. So does that mean that bioware should get a bad score?

This better not all be puff, I might take a look in the light of that stand.

Their is allways room for innovation though.  Cant agree with that comment.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by krinaman

I wish this game had a free trial, could of saved myself $59. I cancelled my subscription on day 1.

It's key features that set it apart from other games are all cons not pros. Rifts were boring by the 5th one.

Combat is slow and tedious and I was playing the mage (nuker) class. Soloing is tedious at best. Mob density is way too high in areas making solo play an exercise in futility. Constant drinking to regen mana/health plus a never ending stream of ghost crawls back to your corpse makes this game about as fun as a root canal.

Game is boring and stale. It's just generic MMO 543,332.

Well ya must have missed the open beta right before launch or the "Two" weekend free trials. But ya a free trial is what ya needed.image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• ElapidaeElapidae Member Posts: 1

i didnt like it, cause it looked so overloaded and heavy. the graphics been nice and everything looked awesome...yet it just looked to much for my eyes. i had to take a break after 15min. everywhere this fog, fights, fire, numbers, people, screaming of mobs...its just been to much. wonder how you can relax from hard day, concentration on your skills and basics if you already get tired looking at the screen...

love character customization in this game thom, wish more games would implement it.

• tzvetytzvety Member Posts: 2

didn't have a chance to play this game , but a I heard it is not that bad at all... maybe I'll try it someday

• Angerfist1Angerfist1 Member Posts: 11

I played this game and got my Warrior to level 50. I did enjoy the quests.  The puzzles and cairns were a nice feature. I know I will probably get slammed, but I'm not into PvP and the game just lost my interest now that I'm level 50.

What is the point of doing quests when your XP gained is useless?  Perhaps I'm used to Final Fantasy XI where you merited after you levelled, but it seems quite pointless when none of the rewards are better than the dungeon gear that I already have.

Sure I could do dungeons and raids to get better gear, but I'm just not that motivated to do so.

I really would have like to have been able to choose Cleric, Rogue or Mage on the same character and level another profession rather than starting another character.  I am aware that they allow you to switch roles and that was although that was novel and interesting I really didn't find it all that useful other than switching between DPS and tank.

I found the snow weather effect in Iron Peak to be really annoying and would have preferred to be able to turn that off.

Their inability or unwillingness to take care of RMT / Platinum selling people spamming shouts in the main towns was unacceptable. 

It was not a controller friendly game and found that to be a negative factor.

The graphice were good, but all of the little kids jumping around town and riding their mounts over other people were strange. Maybe they should be put into a romper room so they can jump on the space bubble like they used to at McDonalds?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Overall I like Rift and think it is a very well done game.  I like the class system and the flexibility it offers.  However, I am extremely disappointment that unless you want to raid, there is literally nothing to do at level 50 once you have your Tier 2 gear.  And considering there currently isn't anything AFTER Tier 2 for groupers, grinding out Tier 2s for gear you don't need if you don't want to raid.

This problem is compounded by the fact that the way the game is set up provides little incentive for me to want to create alts.  If you make an alt, even if you are the opposite faction, after the first two zones you will be leveling in exactly the same places.  I wish it was like EQ1 where each race had their own starting town and there were several leveling zones for each level range.

Overall it is a very well crafted game, but I think it could have used about half a year more development time before it was released.  It just feels unfinished to me.  Sadly I think it will end up going to way of games like Warhammer and AoC, and be a wasteland by the end of the year.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

My Ratings:

Quality of what is there : 10

Graphics : 7 (still some work left on character agility and animation)

Combat system : 6 (way too old and done before, however working)

Character design : 8 (the free blending of character classes have been seen before but are stil the best out there)

Number of new innovative systems : 0 (nothing new at all, not even a single isolated system, what a disaster)

• AsatrusFireAsatrusFire Member Posts: 34

I just started on a trail membership with Rift. Comments here and comments from friends made me decide to do the massive download and give it a shot. For years I played WoW and I began that game as a Warlock. One of the reasons I quit WoW was the sad state of the Warlock class which saw it's downfall with the release of WoLK. So of course I began Rift as a Lock because .. well I guess no matter which toon I have played (played all classes at high lvl in WoW) I have always seen myself as a Lock at heart.

I find the Rift Warlock exciting mostly because I can custom design my Lock the way I think Locks should be. I can bring the wrath of God down upon my enemies and even heal myself and my team mates if I choose to. No longer do I have to depend on a weak and boarderline useless pet (though I can have that too). Without question the Rift Lock is superior than the shell of a Lock WoW had to offer me.

The graphics are very nice and as mentioned the game is clean and nicely done. There is just enough familiar aspects to keep me from being completely lost in the new experience and most of my screen isn't taken up with junk so I can enjoy the scenery.

Much like the reviewer I will have to reserve final judgement until I reach the final level but once my trail membership has expired I will be opting for a pay for account.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Really loving rift and what it had done to help out new mmorpgs.  Its been long time, since aion for me that I have enjoyed an mmo.  Go Rift! 

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

image Bland crafting

image Only two leveling paths

image PvP imbalance

image Same old questing

image Tedious solo play

Result: GREAT!

So that's what a great game is like? *shudders* The PvE has no replay value and is the same stuff as always. The crafting sucks, the pvp is imbalanced, and solo you can't have fun no matter what. And then it's a great game? Yeah right... And this "ascended system" is simply giving each class more talent trees while reducing the number of classes. It has the "great advantage" of reducing the replay value and allows everyone to do everything, which means each player is interchangable with any other.

I don't hate the game. I tried it, nearly bought it. But the lack of depth, of replay value, of crafting, of... anything interesting made me realize I wouldn't play it for long. That it gets such a rating means that either the author of the article is simply a huge fan of rift and the rating is not objective in any way, or that the article is sponsored by trion.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by maji

image Bland crafting

image PvP imbalance

image Same old questing

image Tedious solo play

So that's what a great game is like? *shudders* The PvE has no replay value and is the same stuff as always. The crafting sucks, the pvp is imbalanced, and solo you can't have fun no matter what. And then it's a great game? Yeah right... And this "ascended system" is simply giving each class more talent trees while reducing the number of classes. It has the "great advantage" of reducing the replay value and allows everyone to do everything, which means each player is interchangable with any other.

I don't hate the game. I tried it, nearly bought it. But the lack of depth, of replay value, of crafting, of... anything interesting made me realize I wouldn't play it for long. That it gets such a rating means that either the author of the article is simply a huge fan of rift and the rating is not objective in any way, or that the article is sponsored by trion.

Yep because everyone that likes a game you dont is a biased fanboy...

How could he possible enjoy a game that you cant stand?!?!?!? How dare he!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Rolls eyes*

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Originally posted by Z3R01

How could he possible enjoy a game that you cant stand?!?!?!? How dare he!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Rolls eyes*

Hey I nearly bought the game. I played the betas and the free weekends. But if you give me a game with no replayability, sucky crafting and everything be as generic as possible, then I pass. It's like me searching for a fine restaurant to have dinner at, and someone hands me an average slightly warm and mushy hamburger. For some people that's heaven, and when I'm really hungry and got nothing else, I might take a bit too. But it's nothing I'd want to happen more often than necessary.

The rating might be fine for those who never played MMORPGs before or those who are interested in nothing but generic theme park MMORPGs, but for gamers with some experience it's just wrong.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by Z3R01

*Rolls eyes*

Hey I nearly bought the game. I played the betas and the free weekends. But if you give me a game with no replayability, sucky crafting and everything be as generic as possible, then I pass. It's like me searching for a fine restaurant to have dinner at, and someone hands me an average slightly warm and mushy hamburger. For some people that's heaven, and when I'm really hungry and got nothing else, I might take a bit too. But it's nothing I'd want to happen more often than necessary.

The rating might be fine for those who never played MMORPGs before or those who are interested in nothing but generic theme park MMORPGs, but for gamers with some experience it's just wrong.

You contradict yourself in your attempt to bolster your close minded view of Rift. Any experienced gamer knows that they can't make a strong judgement of an entire game through beta play and free weekends. You don't like themepark MMO's. That's fine but don't pretend to know what the rest of the game is like especially since you never played it to 50. Any experienced gamer knows that you can't do that.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

image Bland crafting

image PvP imbalance

image Same old questing

image Tedious solo play

See its all a matter of opinion. You don't like it but a very good portion of people do.

• GrinhauzGrinhauz Member Posts: 1
    I'm playing rift sins the1.1 patch came out and I'm really pleased.
    I don't see any flod with the crafting mathods.
    Rift has 2 lvling methods, that's good, WOW maybe have mor races and that mask more ways to lvl.
    But, as I have seen, all the players going to the human part in the alliance and to the orgs parts in the hord. So as I see it wow have 2 lvling mathods.
    The story in rift is slot better cause it's new and never been used. Un like wow that have a rely used story
  • NeonFixNeonFix Member Posts: 3

I'm sorry, but RIFT is bad. Very, very, bad. Don't waste your money.

Poorly designed; character options are a non-event (unless you cross Tion's palms with gold first, but even then, the options are still ugly), characters move like they're permanently gimped, and it's the laggiest game I've ever played.

Conversely, GW2 (also f2p) is of a much higher quality - not quite up to WoW standards, but magnitudes better than RIFT - with no lag whatsoever. So what's the difference? One's a very poor quality game with high lag (RIFT), the other is a much higher qualitywith absolutely no lag whatsoever (GW2). I don't get it.

I'm a WoW diehard, so for me, when I want a break to play something different, I play GW2; it's not WoW, but the quality beats anything else out there (including Bethedsa's ESO).

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    I salute you sir!  It must have taken some real digging to even find this thread to necro.
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Quite the powerful Necromancer you are.