Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game looked cool… too bad it’s carebear

FarakonFarakon Member Posts: 47

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

I couldn’t believe it when I saw that this game would have no PvP.

No PvP is going to make this one a tough sell.

Good luck Mythic but I'll pass.

Comments

• SenuvenSenuven Member Posts: 51
    Ya looks awesome, graphics wise. I am going to follow the game, but I am not going to be the one who forms a guild and buys web sites for a game like this. Not right now. Go with Lineage 2 PvP rules (modified).

To error is human, to forgive is devine. Neither are US Marine Corps doctrine.

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

I agree...

PVP is now in more demand than it used to be among MMORPGs. Even games like COH are adding it in now. I think WOW kind of drove the point home that players want to compete with each other.

I think before this game goes live we will se PVP implemented in some form or perhaps on a dedicated server.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• PimpslayerPimpslayer Member Posts: 205

Yeah, it would be awesome to have pvp, maybe spaceship wise. Guilds are not all about pvp. In most games I use/make them to have people always around to do stuff with. PvP is just the half of it. But we do need a good PvE game to come out of all the pvp games that are on the horizon.

Drkfall shall rule all.....if it comes out.....or it could be very bugged and a wast of time....only time will tell.

----------------Signature------------------
    Can someone please make me a sig. I would like it to have something to do with an eagle(the bird) Somewhere near the eagle can you put the words "Global Defense Initiative". Could you also have the line "If you can't buff up, don't step up!". Thanks!

Private Message me about it!

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

And with a battle system that Imperator is going to have, that would make PvP all the more fun,

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

There seems to be a major divide between the PvP and PvE players on many forums. For my own part, I will play either style (Planetside and EVE to City of Heroes and E&B) quite happily.

Getting back on topic though, Imperator will have an element of PvP in it's gladitorial combat, but you are quite right that it will not have PvP as it's focus. The PvP it will offer is likely to be restricted towards the latter half of it's 100 levels of advancement.

As a side note, I do hope the MMORPG.com Imperator forum will not go the way of the VN Vault forum, with a whole bunch of DAoC players and PvP Fans just badmouthing the game.

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

I just think a game needs PvP more than just in arena's. I can walk out and smack anyone in Lineage 2 I want to. There are going to be consequences for that. In AO I know that if I go to a certain area of the game, I am open target for PvP. It makes it alot more interesting to have to keep on your toes.

it makes you have to PLAY.

• FarakonFarakon Member Posts: 47

“Yeah, it would be awesome to have pvp, maybe spaceship wise.”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The problem with that is that there is not going to be any spaceship combat at all, PvP or otherwise.

I never used to be on this side of the PvP vs PvE debate until City of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Heroes.  I really like City of Heroes.  A lot.  But after I leveled my first guy to 50 I shrugged, did a couple of suicide runs into Hami, then rolled another dude and quickly got bored.

I always thought of myself as a more PvE than PvP player throughout DAoC, SWG and CoH, (the three games I’ve spent the most time on) but after my CoH experience I’ve come to view PvP as critical endgame content.

So.. for now:

1)      my CoH account is cancelled;

2)      I’m having a blast playing WoW;

3)      I’m holding my breath for City of Villains;

4)      and not going to play Imperator.

Good point Farakon.

PvP is critical, specialy in todays market.

• GoldenkarmaGoldenkarma Member Posts: 12
    PvP is not critical. A solid PvE game has the same chance for sucess. The problem is that there are no solid PvE games right now. They have all been peverted into PvP games. The devs use PvP as a excuse to not develope end game content.
  • faolanfaolan Member Posts: 1

As far as I can tell they do plan on implementing some form of PvP in Imperator.

From http://www.imperatoronline.com/devdiary/auniverseofconflict.php:

"As far as incorporating some type of PvP in Imperator, I have always been a huge fan/supporter of including it into games. I've believed in and espoused the cause of PvP and later, RvR for over 18 years as a designer/programmer and continue to see it as an important element of MMORPGs. As I've said before, what would a Roman world be without some sort of games/contests? The fact that we have been working on a Flavian Amphitheatre (and that it was used as part of the E3 movie) should serve as a not-too-subtle clue that we intend to use it for something more than decoration."

• NuclearDraftNuclearDraft Member Posts: 31

I am personally glad that PvP will not be the main focus of Imperator. I play WoW and PvP there is either ganking or alliance zerg fests. The Horde side is usually extremly outnumbered and has little, if any chance when outnumbered 3 to 1. The honor system has done nothing to help this despite what some fanboys say and it has become a long and difficult process to level up a new charachter while being repeatedly farmed for contribution points by the huge alliance population.

I think Mythic will find a way to make whatever form of pvp they have in the game fun, rather then a game of who has more soldiers. The lack of PvP will hopefully cut down on the number of little kiddies running around in packs yelling "I iz are uber!!!!11!".

I really don't think that WoW-style PvP is nessecary for a game to do well and I think that Imperator will revive the often times boring experience of "click and wait" PvE. Another important factor to bring up is that it is not a easy task to balance classes for both PvE and PvP. (such as Shaman in WoW) In not rushing into full scale PvP Mythic will have time to consider how to make each class have its own strengths in weaknesses in a PvP setting rather then leaving some people fealing "gimped" when the step on to the field of battle.

Overall I am happy with Mythic's decisions and will look foreward to playing Imperator when it comes out.

---War Kills---
    ---Peace Lives---

• etruscanetruscan Member Posts: 130

Originally posted by Goldenkarma
    PvP is not critical. A solid PvE game has the same chance for sucess. The problem is that there are no solid PvE games right now. They have all been peverted into PvP games. The devs use PvP as a excuse to not develope end game content.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it critical either, but I definitely feel that unless an MMORPG has a solid element of PvP, it will hurt the sales of that game. SWG is having that problem now... with a weak PvP system that many people complain about. CoH is somewhat of an anomaly in this respect. I really hope the Imperator devs listen at this early stage and add the option of widespread PvP... perhaps on a handful of the sharded servers (assuming the servers are sharded).

Having the option of choosing a PvP or non-PvP server is great... and it certainly caters to both sides of the equation.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Unless I am mistaken, PvP will have a system of it own in Imperator.

Which mean, that you may be a level 100 carebear, it wont give you 1 inch edge in PvP.  You can be a level 100 in the PvP setting, it wont give you 1 inch edge in PvE.

Real PvE and PvP players should be extremely happy, they both get a game to love and cheerish, and a side game that may be fun to kill time every once in a while.  All for the price of:  1 game.

Of course a lamerzs who like to use unfair edges on players focused on the real aspect of the game will complain, no more can a carebear rule the PvP, or can a PvPer goes and kill someone currently playing in the bunny hugging section or make them drool in anyform to trap them in a PvP zone.  Real PvPers dont want to fight non-PvPers, and real carebear dont want to have to PvP.  Folks that like both CAN DO BOTH and play twice longer.  So only reason to whine is because you are a lamerzs and like to enjoy abusing unfairly others peoples.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by etruscan

Having the option of choosing a PvP or non-PvP server is great... and it certainly caters to both sides of the equation.

It is a start.  But many peoples would also like the option to select a raiding or non-raiding setting.

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Imperator in it's concept does not allow for PvP beyond "friendlies" as all players are Viritori, the elite of the Roman Republic. Gladitorial combat will be your only PvP outlet, and even then will not impact on PvE.

Some quotes for you...

From the RPGFan Preview: "What about PvP, you may ask? Since the philosophy behind Imperator is to attract rather than alienate the casual gamer, PvP will be optional, and mostly be present in the endgame as a gladiatorial life path. Players will be able to duke it out in the coliseum for fame and prizes, while those not as combative in nature, can avoid it entirely with no penalties."

From the Worthplaying Preview: "There will be PvP in Imperator, although it won't be the end-game like it is in DAoC. One lesson it was nice to see Mythic learn is that the skills you use in PvP are separate from the ones you use in PvE. As a result, that great skill you use to handily defeat a monster won't have a player shouting, "Nerf this, buddy!" This is probably one of the biggest areas they have struggled with in Camelot, and this is a workable solution. There haven't been many details released about how PvP will work, but it's a safe bet there will be some sort of gladiatorial combat."

From the MMORPG.com Preview: "A gladiatorial system is another possibility. Mark Jacobs did point out one very neat point when discussing this and PvP in general. What is the number one complaint people have with Dark Age of Camelot? It is often the balance issues. The reason? It is very hard to make things work in PvE that also work in PvP. The solution? Create a totally independent system for PvP, from PvE."

From the RPG Vault Preview: "As often occurs at such events, assorted bits and pieces of information also came to light. For one, it was confirmed that Imperator will have a gladiatorial PvP element, and even an end game. Mark Jacobs stated clearly that this will be as separate as possible from the PvE portion, with different skill and level schemes, an approach that provides the added benefit of making both parts easier to balance."

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• etruscanetruscan Member Posts: 130

Originally posted by Anofalye
    Of course a lamerzs who like to use unfair edges on players focused on the real aspect of the game will complain, no more can a carebear rule the PvP, or can a PvPer goes and kill someone currently playing in the bunny hugging section or make them drool in anyform to trap them in a PvP zone.
    I disagree. Real PvP is about the ability to attack anywhere at anytime. A good PvP system has guards in place to discourage the attacking of those that would normally not want it, or are less powerful than you. I don't necessarily want to kill that carebear - but I like knowing I could - damn the cost.

Arenas and dueling systems are... weak, at best.

• GageEndalGageEndal Member Posts: 10

I prefer having no PVP, especialy when a game is just starting. If you guys want to or not, I'm going to say why.

PVP is the one thing that drags most games down. We don't complain nearly as much about how crappy graphics are (even though we should in some games [wow]), we complain because our level 5 character who just got into the range where they are allowed to PvP since they are now a qualified player, just got their arses handed to them by a pack of L50s who noticed you leveled.

City of Heroes also has no PvP and it's one of the more fun games out there, your characters are more unique and we have a lot of general fun in that game. We aren't worried about some dark side punk who lives in his basement to hunt on L5 characters all day because we are too busy having fun.

I applaud Imperator on not going the PvP route, especialy since those of us who have read the storyline know that we are all on the same team in Imperator. No need for us to kill eachother.

• TalentTalent Member UncommonPosts: 51

once AI is up to human standards I wont need PvP till than bring on the humans!

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

Mythic has already shown how to make a game that combines PvE and PvP without interference between these two parts.
    But it is quite understandable from a certain point of view why Imperator should not get a big PvP part. Because then it would be in direct competition with DAoC.

From the movies and the other information already released I can not see where the PvE part of Imperator will be extremly innovative, exciting and in general able to stand its ground against titles such as EQ2, DAoC, WoW or Dark and LIght (if it should be released)..

But time will tell ;)

• JabberwokkyJabberwokky Member Posts: 58
    I don't think any game should have PvP... PvP can led to people's feelings being hurt if they lose against other players. Why can't we all work together, huh?
  • CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

I for one don't bother doing things that don't give XP, but I could see if you were really competitive how no PvP would bother you.

But hey they do have the arena for gladitorial combat, so PKs can still get their bloodlust.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by starman999

I agree...
    PVP is now in more demand than it used to be among MMORPGs. Even games like COH are adding it in now. I think WOW kind of drove the point home that players want to compete with each other.
    I think before this game goes live we will se PVP implemented in some form or perhaps on a dedicated server.

Amen Bruce...hail to the king, baby.

*prays for a PvP server*

Joined - July 2004

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by Jabberwokky
    I don't think any game should have PvP... PvP can led to people's feelings being hurt if they lose against other players. Why can't we all work together, huh?

LOL....that was funny. good post Jabber...whew...good stuff. Now, where did i put my gun...

Joined - July 2004

• TabyaTabya Member Posts: 8

EQ has still a lot of Customers most of them on PvE Servers.
    If the PvE Content is amusing enough a Game may sure attract enough Players who are tired of awfull PvP Games.

Imperator have both, PvE and PvP.

All PvP uberness will be earned doing only 1 thing, PvP. I guess this is to hardcore PvP for all those that complain.  You wont be able to hunt a PvE mob to get a sword and then be good against players, it just wont work in a weird mixt.  I will prolly not do any PvP myself, and I am looking forward Imperator, maybe they will make an exquisite game and maybe I will call this game home.

2 systems, 2 mentality, 2 games.  PvP will be the main focus for a HUGE part of the players in Imperator, and PvE for another HUGE part.  Will there be more PvE or PvP players in the game, who know?  Both sound VERY appealing to real PvE and PvP lovers, of course folks that want to kill a low intel orc to then have an edge over others humans, I will gladly tell you this, the game wont be for you, they want true PvPers!