Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impressions from public dev posts

DethnobleDethnoble Member Posts: 419

So revisiting a few Alganon forums - to see what has changed - has left a big impression on me about the developers who post on public forums.  Simply put, it seems the lead developer of Alganon continues turn me off from wanting to give this game a go.  The idea of new character models is interesting, but the two screenshots I was able to find - before and after - really did nothing to help me get a good understanding of how the models compared.  All I could tell is that there were two different 'textures' and a beard that was added to the second; with the second one having the camera a little closer to the character.  

{mod edit}

Furthermore, I was looking at some of the tribute items....

Quest Boost? umm...

Guild Creation privilage? ummm....

EVERY F2P MMO - that I have played - has always allowed guild creation and questing, with no level restrictions (although, the level pace was slower than those who purchased premium items).

When I look at this game's item mall, I see something that appears to be a bunch of ideas thrown into a stew with no real theme or direction.  I'd like to see that fixed before I give Alganon another chance, as well.

splat

Comments

• DefectDefect Member Posts: 246

Originally posted by Dethnoble

So revisiting a few Alganon forums - to see what has changed - has left a big impression on me about the developers who post on public forums.  Simply put, it seems the lead developer of Alganon continues turn me off from wanting to give this game a go.  The idea of new character models is interesting, but the two screenshots I was able to find - before and after - really did nothing to help me get a good understanding of how the models compared.  All I could tell is that there were two different 'textures' and a beard that was added to the second; with the second one having the camera a little closer to the character.  

{mod edit}

Quest Boost? umm...

EVERY F2P MMO - that I have played - has always allowed guild creation and questing, with no level restrictions (although, the level pace was slower than those who purchased premium items).

When I look at this game's item mall, I see something that appears to be a bunch of ideas thrown into a stew with no real theme or direction.  I'd like to see that fixed before I give Alganon another chance, as well.

I play Alganon and proud to say so. It is a great game, really. The item mall is not as you depicted here, you do not NEED it for quests. What you are referring to is the ability to purchase the ability to have 25 active quests at a time instead of 15. No big deal, and you took it way out of context. Guild creation? How many people are actually going to create a guild? Not me. And the cost isn't that much. Give Alganon a try, I have played since closed beta and now the game really is coming along nicely. Once they deploy a central US server, things should really be nice.

The last part, only if they consolidate. The population is the only thing that I can comment on and say is not good. They have two servers and both are like single player games MOST of the time. They do need to consolidate into a single server; for now.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Defect

{mod edit}

Quest Boost? umm...

I play Alganon and proud to say so. It is a great game, really. The item mall is not as you depicted here, you do not NEED it for quests. What you are referring to is the ability to purchase the ability to have 25 active quests at a time instead of 15. No big deal, and you took it way out of context. Guild creation? How many people are actually going to create a guild? Not me. And the cost isn't that much. Give Alganon a try, I have played since closed beta and now the game really is coming along nicely. Once they deploy a central US server, things should really be nice.

The last part, only if they consolidate. The population is the only thing that I can comment on and say is not good. They have two servers and both are like single player games MOST of the time. They do need to consolidate into a single server; for now.

You are proud to play a dead-end game?

Since you seem to be one of the few players left, let me ask you this. How is the population doing lately? DS has been at the helm for what, a year now?

Has the peak population in the evening reached 100 simultaneous players yet?

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Defect

{mod edit}

Quest Boost? umm...

You are proud to play a dead-end game?

Since you seem to be one of the few players left, let me ask you this. How is the population doing lately? DS has been at the helm for what, a year now?

Has the peak population in the evening reached 100 simultaneous players yet?

The population was stagnant for quite some time. This past month though, it has grown quite a bit. I have really noticed an increase in the simultaneous players online within the past two weeks. 100? I'd say very close if not, per server, as of the past two weeks.

Why do you attack me for playing what you call a "dead-end game"? This game has been growing in both content, quality, and playerbase as of late so why would you call it that over any other? Afterall, isn't every game essentially dead-end?

• JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

-We must play at different times, then. At no time when i log in has there ever been close to 100 players on the server over the last few months. Again, could be a region thing, i usually only log in after work for a bit 7-10pm cst during the week. Not on all that time but that is the range. Occassionally over lunch, never on the weekends. I don't doubt the game could be growing, but a glance at the alganon forums on their site gives a more realistic view of the activity.

Have fun in game.

Jergis

Originally posted by Jergis

-We must play at different times, then. At no time when i log in has there ever been close to 100 players on the server over the last few months. Again, could be a region thing, i usually only log in after work for a bit 7-10pm cst during the week. Not on all that time but that is the range. Occassionally over lunch, never on the weekends. I don't doubt the game could be growing, but a glance at the alganon forums on their site gives a more realistic view of the activity.

Have fun in game.

Jergis

I am CST as well. The past two evenings there has been 30+ players online on our side alone, so multiply that by two and you could have nearly 100. Or more... I wasn't checking it constantly, but the WHO list was full for quite some time both evenings.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Mod edited, why?

Nothing wrong with stating opinions about a developer for a game.  That is part of the point to these forums - to talk about the game, its developers, and to voice an opinion on both.  I've seen many opinions about SOE's Smedley or even the original lead on Alganon, David Allen.

Just because a particular dev decides he wants to come here, rile up people up, and then report anything he feels is a negative comment about him does not change the fact that he is STILL A DEV.  Being a dev of the game makes him open to opinions on that game's forums; this is how these forums traditionally have been.  If he does not like what is said, he should go back to his game's forums where he can moderate.

My opinion still stands about that particular dev - egotistical and has tunnel vision.  He has not proven otherwise based upon the continous posts in which he riles people up and belittles them.  I just find it funny, for someone who considers themselves highly intelligent, is that he cannot stand criticism.   I had learned early on in my life that you learn from the criticism people have of you rather than hiding from it or having it muzzled so that you can pretend it is not there.

[Mod Edit]

That's funny. Especially considering that I now own part of the company. Trust me when I tell you this, I'm not going anywhere; and neither is Alganon. So don't play it; that's your choice and I have no interest in doing anything to make you change your mind.

The problem with the internet is that people are used to spouting off on forums, feeling all tough and whatnot. When someone engages in kind, the perpetrators cry foul. It is always easy to hide behind the cloak of anonymity while attacking someone for no apparent reason. If you don't insult or attack someone, it is highly unlikely that there will be any cause for discourse.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

If you wish to discuss the game or its community, please remember that it is not always what you say, but how you say it. Please refrain from personal attacks and baiting each other or the thread may be locked. Thanks.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

*Post response removed due to mod deleting previous posts.*

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Alganon is the most heavily moderated forum on this site and I have no idea why. I mean, the games population in a joke. For all intents and purpose, the game is dead in any mass appeal sence of the word. Only thing I can think off is since Mr. Smart posts regularly here, maybe MMORPG feels some need  to defer to him in his status as developer... I don't know, can't think of any other reason. Heck, if it wasn't for the back-and forth between Mr. Smart and his detractors here, the Alganon forum would be dead.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• DethnobleDethnoble Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by kakasaki

Alganon is the most heavily moderated forum on this site and I have no idea why. I mean, the games population in a joke. For all intents and purpose, the game is dead in any mass appeal sence of the word. Only thing I can think off is since Mr. Smart posts regularly here, maybe MMORPG feels some need  to defer to him in his status as developer... I don't know, can't think of any other reason. Heck, if it wasn't for the back-and forth between Mr. Smart and his detractors here, the Alganon forum would be dead.

It's because Smart posts here and uses that to his advantage to get people's posts removed.  Basically, he will bait people then go whine to MMORPG.com

splat

• SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

It's because Smart posts here and uses that to his advantage to get people's posts removed.  Basically, he will bait people then go whine to MMORPG.com

Regardless of whether one is a developer or a player mmorpg.com doesn't allow personal attacks.

Rules of conduct:

http://www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm#conduct

Flaming and Personal Attacks

• MMORPG.com does not tolerate personal attacks on other posters. Please keep your arguments and posts on topic, and argue the ideas and topics of the thread instead of insulting other users.

Example: Telling someone that you disagree with their argument is tolerated, while calling someone inappropriate names is not.

This works both ways. Regardless of whether one is a developer or a player we all follow the same rules.

Please keep the discussions civil, on topic and an actual disucssion instead of a series of personal attacks.

• JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

""It's because Smart posts here and uses that to his advantage to get people's posts removed.  Basically, he will bait people then go whine to MMORPG.com""

-Actually, taking the last year or so into account, Derek has been mod-thwapped more than any poster here in the Alganon section. Which seems fitting given how the Alganon forums were handled when he first came on. The mods here have been pretty even and consistent, i have no complaints.

At the end of the day, i just wish he wasn't involved, because the other guys actually know what they are doing from the perspective of a consumer. The points in the OP are symptoms of the overall problem. Derek doesn't program or do anything but handle the management of the team/company/etc. by his own admission. Which he may be good at in the workplace. But he's horrible at community relations and probably thinks people like Sanya Weathers are...you know what, nevermind...he probably has no clue who she even is, come to think of it.

If he'd just quit dealing with the public, do his job with the team, and let Padreic do the talking or hire a CM to handle the PR stuff, he'd get more customers for his money.

Guaranteed.

The fact he doesn't makes me wonder if the investors know anything about the business of an MMO market. Their hired gun lacks some skills needed to flourish growth any further. And that is getting in the way of *many* customers giving QOL their money, including this one.

Jergis

• ElmarollyElmarolly Member Posts: 60

Just like in almost every company out there. You have people that will blow smoke up others butts and for some unknown reason people believe the words that are within that smoke being blown. So why should Quest Online be any different?. 

Do the investors know the whole truth about the game and it's state?. I doubt it. Heck I still laugh my ass off with the so called coming close to 100,000 'active' users account statement. One just has to log on to the game for a week or less to see that it is more like 100 active user account to be closer to the truth.

You would think that there would have been a CM hired or atleast appointed, when Tork left. But all one has to do is go back and see that the current President  likes to play the fun and mature internet message bitch sessions. Flamewarfollies.com  anyone?. Or heck go check out some of the steam forums for the pile of shite games from 3000ad.

it is a pretty decent game all in all. It just needs a real CM to handle little shitheads like myself.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Well... One of the reasons is obviously Mr Smart. His past history is rather "colorful"... ^^ So he tends to attract trolls, haters and any number of such types in great numbers. I suspect the mods here do not want any more flame wars than already exist. I was one of the original supporters of the game and Dave Allen(the original head Dev). I've always felt that the game could be a good niche game, but with the loss of much of the original community, its future prospects do not appear that bright.  But I do wish the techs and the remaining players all the best of luck.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Originally posted by Jergis

""It's because Smart posts here and uses that to his advantage to get people's posts removed.  Basically, he will bait people then go whine to MMORPG.com""

-Actually, taking the last year or so into account, Derek has been mod-thwapped more than any poster here in the Alganon section. Which seems fitting given how the Alganon forums were handled when he first came on. The mods here have been pretty even and consistent, i have no complaints.

But any normal member would have been banned long ago due to repeated offenses. I have been temp banned a couple times over far less and it saddens me that MMORPG.com doesnt have the balls to tell a " dev " to bugger off.