Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Spoils of War Prelude Event Preview

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by pauletes

theres always have "some one" that likes to talk bad about all the games... thats the trill for him, respect the ones that like the game. since we respert all bad you have to say about it ... the the same way you enter the game is the same way you going out ;)dont like dont play it go back for whatever makes you happy.....

Love this game can whait for new stuff and TRION is doing a hell of a god job for a game that just come out

It's not that really.  I have no ill will towards Rift,  but I do feel people will expect content to be added every month or at least at a faster pace that is normal and that's going to put a huge burden on the Dev's.  Short turn arounds means less quality and more bugs.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• VerkainVerkain Member Posts: 24

This event is going to get a lot of attention since it's the first event after the disappointment that River of Souls was.  I say it was a disappointment even though I enjoyed it but if I didn't happen to be on during the last couple phases I would have been upset that I missed them.  However, it should be kept in mind that this is just a prelude not a full sized event.  At least that's how I see it so I could be wrong.

I hope it does well.  Trion to me seems like that are trying pretty hard to keep things going forward even if some of their decisions are unpopular to some.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Originally posted by JeroKane

I am sorry... but so far from what I have seen with v1.1 and now coming with v1.2. 

Then sadly the EverQuest2 Live team is still on the throne when it comes to live and holiday events with actually story driven quest lines, with actually fun rewards!

Just dumping a couple daily repeatable collection quests in the game you need to do a horrible amount of times and increasing the frequency of Rifts and call it a Live Event is not what I call original nor very attractive in my book.

Rift was great at launch. Very polished and fun to play for a short while.

But so far these so called live events just end up being nothing more than an ordinary boring grindfest!

About which boring grind fest are you talking about?? Game have enough great quests so no need to kill something with only purpose to level. At least up to lv. 31 where I'm now or very close with all my alts.

Still is so fun like very rare games before.

They took the best from other games and made it even better (interface, questing, ... ) while adding many original ideas.

Only problem I actually see are rifts itself. They suffer from same problem as pvp. To be working you need pretty big number of players at any given time online. And as they (except minor one or being pretty overleveled) can not be soloed to end .... well they become nuisance more then anything when moving through areas.

And for the first time in maybe last 5 years when I become addicted to Wow and was disappointed at the end with all mmos in this time .... I have found something that is very fun to play, polished, ....

Ok, I loved also Aoc, War, .... but terribly buggy at start and for War for all time after.

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

Awesome! Another event so fast! The first one was fun at first but the messed up the finale..which Trion admitted to and made amends by giving everyone the end event loot rewards. They said they learned a lot and I believe them!

I can't wait to see what the have in store for this event. It's my best that each event will be better than the last...so give it a year , at this pace, and Rift will out event any game ever made!

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Getalife

Originally posted by Vhaln

Originally posted by Wycliffe

((&*^%(*&^% Anyway, there were 2 tiers of 10mans, raid rifts, 4 warfronts and a 20man raid at launch. One month after launch they already added another 20man raid. They are working on 10 mans and considering how fast River of Souls came out I doubt we'll be waiting that long. How does the game fall flat at 50? Most guilds on my server haven't downed Greenscale yet, much less Alsbeth

Grinding instances just isn't my thing, I guess.

Quit playing MMOS please or just stick to sandbox but hey wait they have their own kind of horrible grind for example Darkfall.

It's not grinding that I hate so much, as putting all the content away into instances.  Instances were bad enough when they were used for singleplayer-like storytelling, but now they get used to grind repeatedly for loot, too, and you've got games like Rift that use them extensively, for all their endgame content and PvP.  So to me, it's ironic to be told to quit playing MMOs, when what I want is for MMOs to be more Massively Multiplayer, and less isntanced into little mini-games.

Rift is just especially frustrating, because leveling up, it seemed like one of the best MMOs I've seen in years.  It's just such a fast track to 50, that most of the content speeds by, and I was suddenly at this endgame, which OTOH, wasn't my type of MMO at all.  

So I played an alt to 50.. then another.. hoping just maybe Trion had something up their sleeves, with the endgame content they boasted about being ready to deploy so soon after release.  but yeah, screw that.  This sort of thing is obviously all they've got, and it's no wonder population's been on the decline since before the free month was even up.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

I think it matters much how fast you go through the game.

I'm more then just casual, but i play with a few friends ... just enough to have 1 or 2 nights a week where we go into experts together.

My pace seems to be pretty much inline with the pace new content is added.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by daltanious

I am sorry... but so far from what I have seen with v1.1 and now coming with v1.2. 

Then sadly the EverQuest2 Live team is still on the throne when it comes to live and holiday events with actually story driven quest lines, with actually fun rewards!

Just dumping a couple daily repeatable collection quests in the game you need to do a horrible amount of times and increasing the frequency of Rifts and call it a Live Event is not what I call original nor very attractive in my book.

But so far these so called live events just end up being nothing more than an ordinary boring grindfest!

About which boring grind fest are you talking about?? Game have enough great quests so no need to kill something with only purpose to level. At least up to lv. 31 where I'm now or very close with all my alts.

Still is so fun like very rare games before.

They took the best from other games and made it even better (interface, questing, ... ) while adding many original ideas.

Only problem I actually see are rifts itself. They suffer from same problem as pvp. To be working you need pretty big number of players at any given time online. And as they (except minor one or being pretty overleveled) can not be soloed to end .... well they become nuisance more then anything when moving through areas.

And for the first time in maybe last 5 years when I become addicted to Wow and was disappointed at the end with all mmos in this time .... I have found something that is very fun to play, polished, ....

Ok, I loved also Aoc, War, .... but terribly buggy at start and for War for all time after.

Maybe you should actually read my post, before hitting the reply button?

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Why I left? DAILYES! What is announced? MORE DAILYES :))

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Originally posted by BTrayaL

Why I left? DAILYES! What is announced? MORE DAILYES :))

Sadly Rift does have pretty much the worst dailies in MMO history, and that's saying something. I thought grinding Villas would always rank as the worst in my book, but they were heaven compared to the Mathos grind.

Every fifty on the server gets the same quest to kill the same three guys. So, you fight your way into the keep  through trash more densly packed than a New Jersey landfill. You fight your way to the first named mob to kill only to discover that they were killed seconds before you got there. In a truly brilliant move Trion decided the respawn timers on these guys should be like fifteen minutes. So you wait, and hope someone from the opposite faction (or from your faciton and won't group, a lot of people turn off grouping) doesn't tap the mob before you can. Then you fight your way to the other three mobs and repeat the whole stupid thing. Finally you fight your way out and turn in the quest.

For 250 rep.

When you need 60K.

Seriously?

The River of Souls event was a debacle, frankly. The rifts were buggy and the second two stages were a bad joke, completed on my server in about twenty minutes with everyone standing around afterwards going WTF?

Hopefully this new event will be better, but I'm not holding my breath. The game may have been relatively polished at launch (albeit with an ungodly number bugs, most of which are still there, that people were willing, for whatever reason, to ignore in calling it "polished"), but changes since have been anything but. Trion has shown a tendency to dump patches out at a rapid rate, often clearly before their ready -- the River of Souls event being only the most glaring example.

• swedagoswedago Member UncommonPosts: 78

I look forward to this event!  As for you EQ2 players that are hating..  How's the servers working for you =P

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• CruiseCruise Member Posts: 39

A lot of people complain about end-game content. Okay, what did the other major MMO's offer 3 months into the game as far as new content? Anyone? Bug fixes were mostly all I can remember for games like WoW and EQ2 - and WoW was pretty much quest grinding to 60, you just took awhile longer to get there compared to Rift (to me this is where they needed to focus more attention, make it harder to reach the level cap - some people were at 50 in 3 days).

Are the dailies boring? Pretty much, because effectively you're enduring a repeated set of quests to reach high faction standing, so you can get trinkets, gear and recipes. Tell me what dailies won't get old after a number of completions? If they added more to a given faction, eventually those too would feel a bit grindy.

So you can collect artifacts, take on rifts, do dungeon runs and raids, storyline quests, crafting - once again most of this is what the other major MMO's offer, you just didn't reach end-game so fast so you didn't notice the grind effect so much.

PvP has been approached numerous times by players on the forums. This is a PvE-centric game, the development team have stated so since the beginning and make no assertions otherwise. Will they most likely add some form of PvE-based zoned RvR? Probably, but people want it NOW and aren't willing to wait. Their PvP experience falls flat because the PvE-based zone goals aren't there for them  - and here I thought PvP was player vs player, not PvE-goal oriented. Ironic.

Yes, the River of Souls event was a let-down, particularly the final phases. They admit it, and they have done so openly. Name any other major MMO that comes out to apologize for making mistakes based on game content that doesn't work well? Blizzard? I don't think so! Sony? Not a chance in hell. Funcom? Nope, Trion are working on improving the game, and they are listening, but they also have to keep their focus on what they invisioned the game to be, not what FOTM forum complaints provide.

BTW, if you stay solo in Rift, you're bound to get bored quickly. Find a guild that's like-minded and take your time to work together towards end-game, not rush through PUGs in hope of a good team dynamic.

If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who will.

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

Name me 2 games that allow you to have 4 specs and playing different roles in a party?

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• RumjakuRumjaku Member UncommonPosts: 2

I am sorry too, because this article has NOTHING to do with 1.2.  I'd call this more like a 1.99, as the name states it is a "Prelude" to 1.2.

Actual 1.2 patch (not prelude): http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?182088-Press-Release-RIFT%99-1.2-%93THE-SPOILS-OF-WAR%94-COMING-MAY-10TH

Via that link you can find the actual content for 1.2, not the prelude content.  IMO it is badass that they give us a little preview type update before dumping the actual planned content on us.  I don't ever recall having this in any other MMO's.

Thanks Trion.  Doing a great job.

• SelekSelek Member Posts: 236

People say Rift copies other games, but think about this.

Trion Worlds dev team is made of the same people that first invented a lot of those features in all those other games. Its like a music artist making a second band and getting crap for sounding like himself.

Also, Trion Worlds is Independently Published! They don't have NCsoft, SOE, EA, or any other publisher hanging over every decision they make for their own game; this is a much more awesome thing then most people realize! 

Lastly, while Rift isn't new, its far higher quality then any other game has been coming out the door. The amount of patches, events, and even previews we see almost every day I believe is pretty amazing. I think people forget a lot of other games have been out for 5-10 years or more. I say, give Rift time and it will become more and more great.

-Selek

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

Originally posted by Cruise

A lot of people complain about end-game content. Okay, what did the other major MMO's offer 3 months into the game as far as new content? Anyone? Bug fixes were mostly all I can remember for games like WoW and EQ2 - and WoW was pretty much quest grinding to 60, you just took awhile longer to get there compared to Rift (to me this is where they needed to focus more attention, make it harder to reach the level cap - some people were at 50 in 3 days).

Are the dailies boring? Pretty much, because effectively you're enduring a repeated set of quests to reach high faction standing, so you can get trinkets, gear and recipes. Tell me what dailies won't get old after a number of completions? If they added more to a given faction, eventually those too would feel a bit grindy.

So you can collect artifacts, take on rifts, do dungeon runs and raids, storyline quests, crafting - once again most of this is what the other major MMO's offer, you just didn't reach end-game so fast so you didn't notice the grind effect so much.

PvP has been approached numerous times by players on the forums. This is a PvE-centric game, the development team have stated so since the beginning and make no assertions otherwise. Will they most likely add some form of PvE-based zoned RvR? Probably, but people want it NOW and aren't willing to wait. Their PvP experience falls flat because the PvE-based zone goals aren't there for them  - and here I thought PvP was player vs player, not PvE-goal oriented. Ironic.

Yes, the River of Souls event was a let-down, particularly the final phases. They admit it, and they have done so openly. Name any other major MMO that comes out to apologize for making mistakes based on game content that doesn't work well? Blizzard? I don't think so! Sony? Not a chance in hell. Funcom? Nope, Trion are working on improving the game, and they are listening, but they also have to keep their focus on what they invisioned the game to be, not what FOTM forum complaints provide.

BTW, if you stay solo in Rift, you're bound to get bored quickly. Find a guild that's like-minded and take your time to work together towards end-game, not rush through PUGs in hope of a good team dynamic.

This the current problem, not with Rift, but the mentallity of the gamer: all this 'solo play' and 'play to win' yes was about before MMOs became mainstream but once Blizzard bridged the gap between singleplayer games and the MMO worlds the singleplayer mentallity grew, 'you' are ment to be 'the hero', 'you' are ment to 'win'.

What WoW does (and does it really well) is support that by allowing clearing content to be 'the main goal', whereas many classic (and most sandboxes) are about experiencing the world and immersing you in it - Rift is a return to the classic form IMO, many current gen gamers wont find enjoyment in that due to the fact theres no 'rewards that make you better then everyone else' thus no real 'progression'.

TBH I think thats completely fine, thats what WoW does well, why leave that if thats what you want to do... Rift on the other hand I think fills in those other needs the other side of the playerbase coin, somthing that other classic MMOs lost when trying to 'compete' for subs with WoW - Rift IS 'old school' thats exactally whats needed right now oldside WoW there is very little to choose from besides EVE, LOTRO, CoX and DDO whom to me are the only games going long term still (with SoE and Sony being bitchslapped by hackers EQ2 and EQNext will sruggle for subs now that the playerbase is unsure to keep their details with Sony sadly) Rift can quite happly sit along side them if the game evoles as fast as it is.

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• RumjakuRumjaku Member UncommonPosts: 2

Originally posted by Kremlik

This the current problem, not with Rift, but the mentallity of the gamer: all this 'solo play' and 'play to win' yes was about before MMOs became mainstream but once Blizzard bridged the gap between singleplayer games and the MMO worlds the singleplayer mentallity grew, 'you' are ment to be 'the hero', 'you' are ment to 'win'.

What WoW does (and does it really well) is support that by allowing clearing content to be 'the main goal', whereas many classic (and most sandboxes) are about experiencing the world and immersing you in it - Rift is a return to the classic form IMO, many current gen gamers wont find enjoyment in that due to the fact theres no 'rewards that make you better then everyone else' thus no real 'progression'.

TBH I think thats completely fine, thats what WoW does well, why leave that if thats what you want to do... Rift on the other hand I think fills in those other needs the other side of the playerbase coin, somthing that other classic MMOs lost when trying to 'compete' for subs with WoW - Rift IS 'old school' thats exactally whats needed right now oldside WoW there is very little to choose from besides EVE, LOTRO, CoX and DDO whom to me are the only games going long term still (with SoE and Sony being bitchslapped by hackers EQ2 and EQNext will sruggle for subs now that the playerbase is unsure to keep their details with Sony sadly) Rift can quite happly sit along side them if the game evoles as fast as it is.

Ahhhhhh, I see what your getting at there.  I totally agree.  This makes perfect sense too, and it shows in most MMO's that have been comming out lately.  I'm glad you pointed this out, and I realize one more reason why I enjoy Rift as much as I do.

Grinding for hours on end by yourself is not fun, I'll pick up and play a single player game instead!  I'm happy to see the number of group quests in Rift is not lacking.  And the best part is that these group quests are a piece of cake if you group up with at least one other person.  All you need is two people for some of them.  Another great thing is a few others can be soloed depending on what souls you are using.  If you manage to do these solo, then you  could have a great sense of accomplishment that you could pull that off.  However, If you do it in a group and have some nice chit chat while making a new friend.......

That, is the true reward.  MMO=Game, Online, Interaction with other humans.  Overall most?  SOCIAL!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

I did fine the last event a little grindy but I did enjoy it. Fact is when rewards are up for grabs people start striving for what they want and in a way as gamers we create the grind. That being said I am sure Trion will only get better at what they are doing.

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

I just couldn't force myself to play Rift for one more minute.  It was that boring to play it physically hurt.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

I'm going to assume that most of the naysayers are people who don't get into T1-2 groups and expect some magical end game content besides raids and expert dungeons in an MMO to somehow appear in a game at this point. The expert dungeons in this game are extremely fun and the replayability of them is of pretty high value as well, the raids are also very fun. I've never had that much fun raiding in any game but they've outdone themsleves with the end game.

As far as the live events, the last one didn't go so well but for that to be your basis on not playing the game is pretty ridiculous. No game has really ever done live events of this scale in a modern game. Mistakes will happen and things aren't always going to go as well as people will hope especially when it's the first try. When you consider all of what you could get out of the event and the sheer scale of the event, even though it didn't go as well as planned it was still very worth attending. I'm looking forward to this next one and the update in particular, Trion has done an excellent job with handling their game and it's updates. The new update brings new kind of rift-type activities, new dungeon etc so I don't know what more people could want so soon after launch. The game doesn't fall flat anywhere.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Kremlik

Seems to me like what Rift does is all too similar to what WoW does.  Not like classic MMOs, and even less of a sandbox.  It gives you a quick ride to 50 that feels almost like a single-player game, and then dumps you at endgame, which isn't just a major change in playstyle, but rather unrewarding.  Your character is done, you've seen the whole island of Telara, and all that's left is to try to gear up.. for no apparent reason.

It's not that I want to be "better than everyone else" but I do like feeling a sense of progression.  It can be really minor, diminshing returns,  like realm abilities in DAoC, but to suddenly find my character capped out just feels like hitting a dead end to me.   Doesn't help that it feels like the open gameworld has been entirely outleveled, and there's no point to getting any stronger anyhow, aside from what's locked inside a few instances.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• swedagoswedago Member UncommonPosts: 78

I find it rather amusing to see all the whiners. 

I played most SoE games since 1999 (eq1 & eq2 mainly).  Rift was a breath of fresh air after all the lack of Customer Service that eq2 had.  DoV was the worst expansion eq2 ever produced (I played eq2 since NOV 2004.. Launch).

I have noithing really say about WoW since I hated the graphics so did not continue after 2 weeks.

Rift can be a grind if you are too lazy to quest.  I have 2 level 50s (Mage & Warrior).  I was 50 with the Mage in 2 weeks just doing quests, and if you say they do not have enough quests to get you to 50...  You are full of S**t.  I have many left over, and never finished the Dragon Slayer ones once I hit 50 (and none were repeatable).  Only reason I do quests on my Mage are the repeatable now for certain factions that are not covered by instances/raids.

My 50 Warrior was a grind fest.  Took 3 weeks of only doing Rifts, Instances & Warfronts.  Either way it was not that hard (Nothing compared to Aion lol).

There is plenty to do.  If you have beat all the expert instances, and both raid zones...  Then you are few and far between...  Congrats!  If you have not then you do not lack content, you lack a guild that can proceed, skill, or more time in real life to play. 

Lack of content means you finished it all, have the best of everything, and your character cannot get better anytime soon.  In 3 months I doubt the latter is true for anyone.  In eq2 (which has been out for almost 7 years) I found myself completely maxed in most expansions in 2 months...  Then it was another 10 months of alt gearing until next expansion (6 level 90s later I was fed up).

This is a Rift thread regardless.  EQ2 lovers are that way =======> (Servers Down... SoE Been hacked).

• TrissaTrissa Member Posts: 251

Well... Telara is waiting. Not too much time to expend in these boards. After years i feel again each day the excitement of jump in my fantasy world as soon as i can get home. Somenthing just a bit different is coming? Great!.

• DestinoBRDestinoBR Member UncommonPosts: 9

How do you know when something made some impression on the general population?

When the Trolls come out!

If there is lots of folks out there who like something, you be sure a troll will come out under teh bridge and try to kill it!

Its a well know fact of life.

But anyway, I only can express my own opinion, Im a slow time gamer, I take my time to do stuffs mostly because of my time consuming job, and other RL stuff, so I have to put it in front of my gaming time.

I hate waisting my time on bad products. and I can tell you guys, thats something rift isnt.

If you can finish all the crafting, all the gattering, all the instancing, all the story line in 1 month...

I dont know If I envy you or if I pray the Gods of gaming for your soul, how the hell can you finish something that BIG in 1 freaking month!!!

So dear trolls, i respect your opinion, trully, but its tiresome to hear the same reason over and over... lack of content, too easy, bad dev decision.. all that I can see is:  you cant let yourself to leave WOW, and all the junk you have gattered all over the years( I think its almost a decade but I can be wrong), thats realy one good reason, Im not joking , it is! So use this reason to point out why you will not play another game. Be honest to yourself and to the other fellow players around the world, and asume that you are to atatched to your old game, that you realy like it and that you will not leave, Im sure rift will keep growing over the years as your loved game has.  And some day, when the time comes, we the people who will be playing it, will be trolling about that freaking new game that came out of nowere and is treatning my old love.

Cheers

• jmoreejmoree Member Posts: 30

I'm with Destino! If you can play all the classes, both factions, and complete all the crafting in the what...Like 3 months this game has been out then yes this is not the game for you... Then again, life is probably not for you either so, good luck with that. I've been playing since Beta and have only got a few toons up into the 20's with both factions, it took me that long just to figure out if I wanted to go Gurdian or Defiant, what server I wanted to play on, what race I wanted to be, and holy hell what souls I wanted to go with. I'm still not sure on my selection for souls but I just found a decent guild in the past couple weeks, so for me the game is just starting. I'm sure in a few years we will have a bunch of Trolls complaining about how great Vanilla Rift was and how the Xpansions screwed it up, but hey that's the online community.

Opinions are like A**holes, everyone has one.