Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Dark Age of Camelot alternative?

tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Do we have a 3 way Realm vs Realm PVP MMO with a decent playerbase?

I enjoyed WAR but it doesn't have the brilliant 3 way PVP. I can't seem to find an MMO that would give me that DAOC PVP goodness. I would guess there is nothing like DAOC for 3 way factional warfare, or have I missed something?

Cheers.

Comments

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Your best bet is probably to wait for GW2 and it's WvWvW feature.

In the meantime there's some F2P MMOs that have 3+ faction RvR but I'm not at all sure about their quality. A simple search should turn some of them up.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

There is Aika, not with 3 but with 5 realms and it works pretty well. its all about pvp, as theres no real grinding involved and you can hit lvl cap quite fast (old lvl cap at least, havent played in a while). Not to say theres no pvp before lvl cap but its rather easy to get there. its f2p too so doesnt cost much to try it :P

then there is .. umm what was its name... ah yea, regnum online i believe , it had interesting pvp mechanics (3way pvp, as daoc) but grinding involved in there was worse than what daoc had in beggining :), and to be remotely useful in pvp you'll have to be near or at lvl cap, which could take some time to achieve, esp if you like to play support classes, considering its low population (maybe it picked up by now, not sure about that, havent played that one for more than a year).

Not sure why, and cant really explain it, but it does have the good, old mmos feeling (aka UO, daoc, etc), and plays like one too, something that most new, copypaste games just dont offer anymore.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Aika was one of the closest experiences i've had to DAoC.

You could maybe try Aion, though it's 2 factions only.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Thanks for the suggestions. Will check out Regnum Online and Aika. :)

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Is Aika one of those gender locked asain pieces of crap? Where 90% of all classes must be female only with a 6 year old frail girl holding a 12 foot long 600lb sword that could cleave a tank in two?

As thats my first impression after a 1 min flip through their site. And I think I vomited a little at the thought of it alone.

Please tell me I'm WAY off base. Please.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Originally posted by Kazuhiro

Is Aika one of those gender locked asain pieces of crap? Where 90% of all classes must be female only with a 6 year old frail girl holding a 12 foot long 600lb sword that could cleave a tank in two?

As thats my first impression after a 1 min flip through their site. And I think I vomited a little at the thought of it alone.

lawl c'mon now theres less than 90%

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

Originally posted by Kazuhiro

lawl c'mon now theres less than 90%

Sorry I typed that wrong, 90% of all anime "games". Not 90% of all anime "characters". They afterall have to have room for their terribly gender confused male classes. But honestly, short of breasts there isn't much difference usually. XD

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

warhammer online

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

You should look at Realms Online. It's about the closest you will find to Daoc. Large scale 600+ player battles. 3 Factions, 3 base classes with several sub classes each. One large RvRvR battle area, surrounded by the 3 factions and there pve areas. Castles, Forts, and City raids.

It may not have modern top of the line graphics for large scale balanced RvRvR action you really cant beat it.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Yes, Realms Online (formally known as Regnum) has been called a DAoC clone.

Realms is the North American version, Regnum is everywhere else I guess. Though you can still connect to either through the same client.

• GoresonGoreson Member Posts: 122

Hey,

I actually like(d) Aika - sorry, just not enough time in the day to play all the games I've started, need to focuoh. look, a butterfly!

Anyways, Aika (unless I'm now completely drunk, not just a bit like normally when at work) is gender-locked but sort of with a twist: you have 3 'class concepts' (Fighter, Scout, Spellcaster) with an individualized class for each gender i.e. Warrior as the male Fighter, Paladin as the female one, Dual Gunner as the female Scout, Rifleman on the male side.

I guess it comes down to where you are flexible: playing not quite the class you actually want to play i.e. you'd prefer the dual gunner but instead have to go rifleman as you want to stay male, or sporting a pair of boobs... ;-)

But obviously here is the big question: Why leave DAoC in the first place?

I went for their 25% off offer last month and signed up for another 6 months... though I'm not sure how much I'll actually play it - darn Prius Online! LOL