Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Cenarion Hatchling for Japan Relief

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard Entertainment has announced the arrival of the Cenarion Hatchling with 100% of the sales proceeds going directly to relief organizations working in Japan to assist those devastated by the recent earthquake and tsunami. The Cenarion Hatchling retails for $10.00.

Introducing the latest World of Warcraft companion up for adoption in the online Pet Store: the wild and noble Cenarion Hatchling! This little critter is the twin of the rare Hippogryph Hatchling pet players could randomly encounter in the first World of Warcraft Trading Card Game set, Heroes of Azeroth -- and he's emerged from the forests of Azeroth to lend a helping talon to some friends in need. For every Cenarion Hatchling purchased between now and July 31, 100% of the $10 USD adoption fee will be donated to the American Red Cross's Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami relief efforts. This support will enable the Red Cross to provide shelter, food, emotional support, and other assistance to victims of this disaster.

Read more about the World of Warcraft Cenarion Hatchling.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

100% of the proceeds are donated... It's nice that they decided to actually not be greedy this time around.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Not to kick a gift horse in the mouth or anything.. but a bit late to the party don't you think?

I'm sure they still need more donations of course, but why suddenly decide to kick in now and not sooner? It just seems odd is all, not that it matters though :P

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

It's funny, because people were asking for a pet to buy to donate money last month, and they said they wouldn't do it. I'm not knocking them because anything to help get people to donate is great, but it seems like they just realized that it's good PR to do so (maybe they're having issues with player retention recently and need a PR boost O.o).

But I've found it interesting that you have companies like Sony, Nintendo, Capcom, NCsoft and others donating money. Straight up. Here's your cash. But Blizzard (which arguably has as much, if not greater net profit than many of the companies that donated money) haven't done anything of the sort. They apparently matched their employees contributions, but that's it.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Ya, like 'just2duh' said.. although I'm sure it will bring in some money, probably would have been more effective closer to when the incident happened and it was on peoples mind. I'm sure it didn't take months to create a little companion pet.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Its so easy to be so judgemental about the subject but in the end what it comes down to is Japan is getting help and thats all i care about. I think its great whether or not Blizzards "late" to it or just using it as a publicity thing.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

People ACTUALLY pay real money for a virtual "pet" that looks like a Crayon took a crap & it was born?

*Mind Blown*

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

no..they'd buy it to help out Japan.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

People ACTUALLY pay real money for a virtual "pet" that looks like a Crayon took a crap & it was born?

*Mind Blown*

lol Most of their pets are usually pretty cool but yeah theres plenty of bad ones.

I agree this one looks like crap but id still buy it just to put money towards helping Japan. I dont play WoW anymore tho.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• LentechLentech Member Posts: 119

To all the nay sayers who claim this should have been done sooner.... Clean ups from natural disasters dont happen over night.. nor does rebuilding.... EVERYTHING Helps... And like the old saying Better late then never... who knows, the money blizzard raises may save some ones life...wether its a community of folks...or 1 persons life...in my opinion... thats more than you.. the average gamer has done...

Ive contributed to japan threw many video-games... Eve-online, League of Legends and World of Warcraft.... ide rather give my money go to these folks and know its going to be distributed to the japanese... than donate  to some Holywood Celebrity like that haitian incident...

Just remember... mother nature can act within an instant...who knows.. maybe 20 years down the road  you'll be one of the poor saps who loses his entire family and his house... then someone like blizzard comes along and provides a helping hand... i bet you'll feel like an ass then for your belittling here..

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

lmao at people thinking that it's too late for donations, especially for a large scale natural disaster. Are people seriously this dumb?

The saddest thing is that the non-charity $25 rainbow space unicorn mount will probably have made more money than this in the end. That has much more of a virtual bling than this does. MMO players care desperately about virtual bling and showing off stupid crap.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by mnemic666

It's funny, because people were asking for a pet to buy to donate money last month, and they said they wouldn't do it. I'm not knocking them because anything to help get people to donate is great, but it seems like they just realized that it's good PR to do so (maybe they're having issues with player retention recently and need a PR boost O.o).

But I've found it interesting that you have companies like Sony, Nintendo, Capcom, NCsoft and others donating money. Straight up. Here's your cash. But Blizzard (which arguably has as much, if not greater net profit than many of the companies that donated money) haven't done anything of the sort. They apparently matched their employees contributions, but that's it.

Most likely Blizzard does not make a direct donation because they are part of a larger company. 

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by XanXanni

While I find it good to launch such a donation project I must also ask myself why it took blizzard so long to come up with it. They now start to care 4 weeks after it happened? I must say it feels like a poor excuse to say "Yeah we did something too". Probably a marketing director said "Hey look, this and that company already donated millions, so I guess we should squeeze our millions of players now so we can pretend WE donated something when in fact the community did". 

Honestly Blizzard Activision should be ashamed. One of the biggest gaming companies needs to suck their customers out to be able to donate money to Japan? I find that very very sad.

You should really do some investigating before opening up on something you (apparently) know nothing about.  While I can't speak for Activision - since I didn't check there, you DO know that Blizzard has been matching employee donations on a dollar for dollar basis since the disaster, right?  Even that was not publiscized - it was released in a normal thread that it was happening.

Try again?

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

as others have said that thing looks terrible,looks alot like that Toucan Sam guy on my fruitloops box.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Originally posted by Eliandal

While I find it good to launch such a donation project I must also ask myself why it took blizzard so long to come up with it. They now start to care 4 weeks after it happened? I must say it feels like a poor excuse to say "Yeah we did something too". Probably a marketing director said "Hey look, this and that company already donated millions, so I guess we should squeeze our millions of players now so we can pretend WE donated something when in fact the community did". 

Honestly Blizzard Activision should be ashamed. One of the biggest gaming companies needs to suck their customers out to be able to donate money to Japan? I find that very very sad.

You should really do some investigating before opening up on something you (apparently) know nothing about.  While I can't speak for Activision - since I didn't check there, you DO know that Blizzard has been matching employee donations on a dollar for dollar basis since the disaster, right?  Even that was not publiscized - it was released in a normal thread that it was happening.

Try again?

Im not trying to bash Blizzard here but do you really think a company that makes the kind of money that Blizzard does every month couldn't do a little better than matching employee donations? Seriously matching dollar for dollar is kind of a joke when you think about it. Better than nothing I suppose.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by GreenHell

Try again?

Im not trying to bash Blizzard here but do you really think a company that makes the kind of money that Blizzard does every month couldn't do a little better than matching employee donations? Seriously matching dollar for dollar is kind of a joke when you think about it. Better than nothing I suppose.

Depends on what their liquid cash looks like.  What obligations they have to pay every month...loans, rents, taxes.   How much of their cash is tired up in projects.  While we say they are making so much money they are also paying out a lot and they are a public company so shareholders demand performance.  It is not as easy as a single family shelling out some cash for donations.  They have to balance image, obligations, future growth, and sharesholders faith.

• hycxhycx Member UncommonPosts: 12

Try again?

It sure is easy to ask someone to donate money that isn't yours.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I bought one. No regrets.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• dashivaathandashivaathan Member UncommonPosts: 23

If you want to help Japan you should note this part of the article "and Pacific Tsunami".  The American Red Cross does NOT guarantee the money collected will go to Japan.. you can read that on their home page.

If you want to ensure your money goes to help the Japanese donate directly to the Japanese Red Cross.. you can do that through Google's page for Japan relief here:

http://www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.html

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Asamof

lmao at people thinking that it's too late for donations, especially for a large scale natural disaster. Are people seriously this dumb?

The saddest thing is that the non-charity $25 rainbow space unicorn mount will probably have made more money than this in the end. That has much more of a virtual bling than this does. MMO players care desperately about virtual bling and showing off stupid crap.

People may be that dumb, but some of it is people axe grinding against wow.  They need to grow up and move on.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Whatever money WoW brings in doesnt belong to Blizzard or even Activision, it belongs to Vivendi.

For Blizzard or Activision to donate large sums of money they would have to get Vivendi's permission first.

If Vivendi doesnt want to donate then Blizzard cant either, but Blizzard can make a for charity pet.

• LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135

Since the pet was added in the patch that just came out last week. That's how games work.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

*Mind Blown*

What's *Mind Blown* is that people would pay money to help others and could care less what it looks like and you don't get it.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

What's with the hate guys, this is for helping people, i know, it indeed looks like crap, but the point is, you help Japan, not for the pet

should i still play WoW, i would have bought this, and even if i bought it, i prolly will never put this pet out ever

God bless Japan

So What Now?

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

Originally posted by mnemic666

Not everyone donated money straight up. Global agenda did the same thing, a part of a weekends sale. Money from wow pet could be ALOT btw

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

No comment. I don't like you guys at all! You should be ashamed!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.